Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast

Re: Gundam Build Fighters Season 2

Yeah I guess it is. I completely forgot that the mega rider even existed. Who knows given that it's build fighters maybe it will get a custom paint scheme that makes it look like the Zeta.
    Sieg Zeon!

That mega rider looks sick!

I collect: High Grade, SD, Transformers , Figma, Nendoroid, SH Figuarts

"I eat, watch movies, and sleep! A TRUE MAN NEEDS NOTHING ELSE!"
    Genjuro Kazanari
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/kotori_sonoda/

There were several issues with the first season that bugged me.

1) Qualifying for the world championship was... a thing... you know, a pilot had to have some level of skill. And yet, I don't know if it was because the battle choreographers were bad or the animators were lazy or the writing just sucked... but a lot of those who got to the world championships never tried to dodge or even attack anything at all. Ever. And they blew up instantly when someone even looked at them funny. And they certainly were not using customized suits. It is inconceivable that such contenders would have beaten an automated match, much less sent to the world championship to represent their countries.

2) The whole thing about premise and previous generations of battlers was just out-right ridiculous. They repeatedly said the battling system had only been around for 10 years and tournaments for only 7. So how exactly are there these 50-70-year old ultra veterans who were apparently super powerful but retired or something along those lines. It couldn't possibly make less sense. And then there is supposed to be a 3 generation dynasty of these Meijin guys? Even if we say the first never did a Gunpla battle, the second clearly did-- so exactly how crazy short of a time did the second Meijin actually participate in the tournaments? He was only there for a year or two but they talk about all his countless epic battles....? This was all incredibly poorly thought out.

3) The main characters whole dynamic is subtly implied to be, while not against the rules, at least a bit disingenuous. Virtually everyone else in the series both builds and controls their own machine. It is the standard. It is what an honorable, good, forthright, honest competitor would do. Everyone else except the main characters who has some outside person or entity create their machine for them is implied to be dirty and contemptible for doing so. So what exactly is with this hypocrisy when it comes to the main characters?

4) The Strike Gundam Sei built is just plain cheap. It just is. Maybe all the main ones are. They clearly take damage that would destroy any other machine, their weapons are all insanely powerful in comparison to what anyone else uses and worst of all is that RG mode that is just so insanely overpowered that it feels like its a out-right cheat mode. The Gundam is outright faster, MASSIVELY faster, than any machine built exclusively for speed. It gets pulled down in the middle of a race and STILL comes in second. It should very well have lost that whole "baseball" match, but because the power is just SOOOO great and unstoppable that apparently even if one wins, they still lose. Utterly cheap. And then it just outright blows away every other super-mode in a straight-up head-to-head bash with no skill, no intelligence, and no tactics of any kind ever really being employed. Just turn on the Super Mode that clearly has no downside or drawback or penalty and you auto-win.

5) Speaking of that race. Another example of really pitiful writing. It is stated outright that Reiji won every single match he was in. Every single one. Utterly undefeated. Maximum points gained. And yet... coming in second in that race knocked him down to 17th place? WTH was up with that? There is no possible way a tournament system could have worked in such a way that coming in 2nd in the race could possibly have robbed them of being in the top 14 given that other people HAD lost other matches and given that there were only 4 races, they had to have also come in second place or lower and STILL qualified.
    Not only was this horrifically bad writing, it was a lost opportunity. All because there was some jagg-off whose ego wouldn't allow for the protagonists to be anything less than utterly untouchable and perfect. One could easily have explained them having fallen out of the qualifying ranks simply by having the sabotage being done against them actually be effective in a match or letting them lose the baseball match like they SHOULD have or, in the very least, have Reiji's unfamiliarity with those non-combat competitions cause them to lose some of those in the very least.
    Again, pitifully bad writing. Anyone with half a mind could have done better.

6) And, on the issue of bad writing.... Gunpla mafia?.... Seriously?! Okay, let alone the incredibly balk-worthy premise that there are these "particles" that somehow transform plastic models of Gundams into actual machines. And nevermind that apparently having these models "well made" (though the series utterly lacks to actually detail in any meaningful way exactly how Sei's visually undetectable modifications to his model give it all these crazy super powers) gives them vastly more power. And nevermind that people allow these magical plastic to metal alternate reality creating machines to be deployed all over the world and they are cheap enough that every hobby shop in the world can somehow install them. And nevermind that the only person in the world who questions whether these magical machines might have some serious medical, industrial or military use is a 13-year old kid. Let's let all that mind-blowing crap fly for a moment.... how exactly could an organized crime organization actually be created revolving around this whole little child-dominated competition circuit? And not just-- "a previous established mafia could make money off of illegally gambling on these events and would be thus encouraged to sabotage the competitions." I mean, maybe that is possible-- but that wouldn't make them a "Gunpla Mafia" than if a mafia decided to do the same thing with Olympic Figure Skating, bribing the judges or attacking athletes in order to get the competitions to go their way would make them a "Figure Skating Mafia", they would just be a Mafia that interfered with figure skating in that one particular instance.

Anyway.... yeah. For all the good things in the show, there was so much bad in it that it is a bit hard to get over. I really have to wonder if the whole thing was written by its target audience, because correcting all of these mistakes wouldn't have hurt its appeal one bit.

Let us focus on what is done by the end. Well... what things did the series need to accomplish?
    1) Break up this protagonist team. Sei should control his own Gunpla. Reiji needs to make his own. They can help and learn from one another, but each boy needs to grow to stand on their own. Was this done? Yes! Check.
    2) Face and defeat all of the major rivals. Was this done? Yes! Check.
    3) Win the world competition. Was this done? Was this done? Check.
    4) Destroy the big bad behind all the shady and dark aspects of the competition and bring about peace. Was this done? Check.
    5) Have all the surviving characters team up against a giant, colossal opposing force that the hero cannot handle alone. (Something sadly many Gundam series neglect to do.) Was this done? Check.

In other words... yes. The 25 episodes of the series accomplished everything the series could possibly have to do.

What could be gained from any competition? Link the worlds?... Why? For what purpose? They are both peaceful and prosperous.
    Have Sei fight and defeat all the same people he has already defeated? To what end? He already beat them. Yes, it is much harder without Reiji, but....
    Oh!! The big, oh-so-dramatic question!! Can Sei win the world championship again?... Oh, wait. Now he is starting off as the champion instead of the underdog. And every major competitors is already his friend. Why the hell should it even matter if he loses and Mao or Aila becomes champion? It shouldn't! Hell.. it doesn't!!

There is absolutely nothing worth writing a second series about. Short of having Sei and all other previous members of the elite 14 disappear off the face of the Earth and some new super competitors pop up out of no where, somehow utilizing all the methods of the fighters of the first season and some new rookie with no experience somehow gets ahold of Sei's Strike Gundam and learns from it while using it and it gets destroyed at some point and this new hero has to design his own with everything he has learned to defeat this new competition and save the first series protagonists.... well, I just don't see how to make a story worth following the first up with.

A lot of that problem comes with the premise. It Gundam series involving war, it really only takes the wounds inflicted by the first series' war... maybe an opportunistic nation that was sparred the ravages of the first war that sees a chance to move in... or a faction of the protagonist's army that become extreme and cruel and have been empowered by the protagonists... or a small terrorist faction that given the level of technology could well prove a threat to millions if not all life on Earth.... I mean, there are all these various routes to take in order to follow up most Gundam series... but the Builder's premise is so contained and limited that none of those possibilities is viable.
    [RP]Mobile Suit Gundam: War-Torn Horizons - Nobuyori Takeda, pilot of Elmeda (Tokugawa Knight Custom)

Gundam Build Fighters Season 2

I understand that you're frustrated about the first season. But let's just enjoy for what it is and move on. I liked the first season and this thread is about the up and coming second season. Your opinions are appreciated definitely but let's keep it real and keep it under the topic.

With that said, has anyone seen this cover?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404095400.226899.jpg

Am I late in knowing this? I'm stoked to see a Hi-Nu coming in the second season!

Who's do you think that is? Seeing there's Amazing under the title, you think it's Yuuki's? Or is that part of the title?

Quote Originally Posted by Setsunason54 View Post
    I understand that you're frustrated about the first season. But let's just enjoy for what it is and move on. I liked the first season and this thread is about the up and coming second season. Your opinions are appreciated definitely but let's keep it real and keep it under the topic.

With that said, has anyone seen this cover?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404095400.226899.jpg

Am I late in knowing this? I'm stoked to see a Hi-Nu coming in the second season!

Who's do you think that is? Seeing there's Amazing under the title, you think it's Yuuki's? Or is that part of the title?
    You're right about this Yuuki's, but this custom Hi-Nu, called the Hi-Nu Brave, is only going to be featured in the Gundam Build Fighters Amazing manga.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

What?! That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Setsunason54 View Post
    I understand that you're frustrated about the first season. But let's just enjoy for what it is and move on. I liked the first season and this thread is about the up and coming second season. Your opinions are appreciated definitely but let's keep it real and keep it under the topic. . .
    I don't agree with everything Jaster said, but he has the right to express his opinion. He has reservations about the second season based on his experience with the first. It's not an unreasonable position.

Personally as long as they keep the magic particle crap to a minimum and completely get rid of the RG system, I'll be happy. The first season was a mostly enjoyable experience, so as long as they get rid of those two elements and give me a real Gundam show in addition to it, I'm fine with another season of Build Fighters. After all, even at its worst, GBF was still better written than 00 S2 and Wing.
    Sieg Zeon!

Oh I agree I wasn't denying his opinions just saying let's keep on topic. 😄 short and simple.

Well, the short and simple version would be.... the first season had a crazy ton of bad writing and plot holes that could have been patched up if the writers just talked to one another and got things straight.

The first season really left little worth writing a second season about. Maybe one could make the happy perfect ending even more happy and perfect with a 48-minute "movie". That's about it.
    [RP]Mobile Suit Gundam: War-Torn Horizons - Nobuyori Takeda, pilot of Elmeda (Tokugawa Knight Custom)

Personally, I really don't care much about the story. I just want more cameos and bring much focus on building rather than fighting alone. I really find the story to be very silly to take it seriously.

Oh, also want a Neo Zeong SD version. That would be adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by extend View Post
    Personally, I really don't care much about the story. I just want more cameos and bring much focus on building rather than fighting alone. I really find the story to be very silly to take it seriously.

Oh, also want a Neo Zeong SD version. That would be adorable!
    Speaking of cameos, here is one of the Dragon Gundam from G Gundam.
    Attached Images
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

This is the best news ever.

Dragon Gundam is gonna show up? Nice!
    I collect: High Grade, SD, Transformers , Figma, Nendoroid, SH Figuarts

"I eat, watch movies, and sleep! A TRUE MAN NEEDS NOTHING ELSE!"
    Genjuro Kazanari
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/kotori_sonoda/

Quote Originally Posted by Lacus Prime View Post
    Dragon Gundam is gonna show up? Nice!
    Hopefully this means we'll get a proper High Grade of it down the line.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church