Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on things

I was recently injured and hospitalized due to an injury from paint and glue fumes. I was diagnosed with hydrocarbon poisoning and I have nearly a month in recovery. I am finally just about back to my normal self. I had experienced a wide variety of symptoms such as seeing "dots", my foot, tongue, and head tingling. I was numbed out, like I couldn't actually feel what was happening. I felt like I was going to die, I also lost my appetite and just could not eat. It was like someone ripping your stomach out of you. Burning sensations across my head. I felt dumb, like I couldn't answer questions people would ask me that I typically know. I had missed a lot of sleep due to being woken up from all the symptoms. Fortunately, I am OK. I had an EKG, blood test, liver and kidney test all checked out and I am fortunate to not only be alive, but to just be OK.

Anyways, that leaves me in a spot. I love my hobby of modeling, specifically model cars. I do not want to give it up, yet, as I was trying to paint, even with proper ventilation, I was hesitant to continue in fear that I may relapse and get injured again, and I couldn't continue so I stopped. I was hesitant getting close trying to get details. Even the paint I am using is safe, the smell of it was enough to freak me out. So, I would just hate for something to happen again as I feel like I really have a second chance at life (that's basically what the doctors told me). Anyways, I am not sure what to do. Model building sculpted my life. It introduced many things into my life like traveling, seeing new things, it really built who I am. I am just not sure what to do now. I love my hobby, yet I love my health. Any ideas? Ultimately, it's up to me what to do, I would just hate to relapse and have this again and have a potentially more fatal outcome when I can pretty much do something else. I know many things in life are bad, like gas fumes, air, etc, but in this case, I have a choice, so I'm not really sure what to do. I kinda caught myself in that "It'll be ok" type attitude and starting to delve into things thinking I can handle it when I know I can't, so I stopped myself.

Even as I re-read this, I can agree with myself. I would just like to have a "main" hobby again in my life

Re: Thoughts on things

I'd say try again. Just make sure you have proper ventilation, a paint fumes mask, and make sure to limit the amount of exposure you have to the fumes in a given day, and make sure to take long breaks. Also if I'm not mistaken, lacquer paint has the most toxic fumes and acrylic the least, with enamel somewhere in between, so maybe you could try switching the type of paint you use.

Those are my ideas anyway. Hopefully you won't have a recurrence of these problems.
    Sieg Zeon!

I wouldn't risk it. If I got deathly ill from doing something that I love, such as video games, I would say "Heck, no!" and just walk away. It isn't worth risking your life for a hobby, no matter how much you love it.
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

I'm siding with Zeta-G on this and add the use of water-based acrylics (Vallejo, Reaper, P3, Model Masters Acryl) as your main paint type, and most of all, try things out again slowly. It sounds like the problem you encountered built up over time and now you've returned to as normal of a condition as you can get with the damage already done. That doesn't mean the slightest fume will set you off, especially with gear that filters that stuff out.

If you really love this hobby, I'm sure you can find a way to make things work without using anything toxic or at least not getting afflicted by any toxic stuff you do decide to use.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Honestly, if you still want to paint get a full face mask. Something like this:

If that happened to me, I'd either make damn sure my lungs were over protected or I'd give up painting and just build models.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

I would keep going...however i would learn what made it happen in the first place, take the precautions if not MORE PRECAUTIONS (like what Exia and Zeta-G propose) to ensure it never happens again, and use less toxic methods of painting. Now am i saying that a hobby, especially one you love, is worth your health much less your life? No. Im just saying dont just give up on it because of one incident. I fell off a horse one time but did that stop me from getting back on it? nope, i just learned to be more careful. Same difference. LOL. Dont give up my friend! Just next time be extra careful LOL

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

One final thing to consider is that fun can cost you. I'm not trying to be morbid or anything, but sometimes fun/pleasure comes with certain risks, and you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. Taking proper precautions can help minimize your risk, but the bottom line is that sometimes doing what you enjoy can cost you. Football players risk brain injury everytime they play. Racecar drivers risk fatally crashing everytime they race. People who like to eat fried food risk clogging their arteries and having heart failure. People who drink alcohol have a higher chance of liver failure. Gamers/Programmers have a higher chance of developing eye problems. People who like to vigorously debate (like yours truly) risk taking on unnecessary stress which can accumulate and lead to all sorts of health problems. People who like to paint (particularly with lacquers and/or spray cans) can get poisoned from the fumes.

My point is fun usually comes with some risk, and, while you can usually minimize that risk by taking certain precautions, ultimately you have to decide if doing what you love is worth possibly shaving some years off of your life expectancy. Personally, while I'm not going to go out of my way to endanger my health, if I go out by having a heart attack in the middle of an fun, impassioned debate at age 65, instead of dying in bed at age 75 (but having missed out on doing what I enjoy most in order to get those extra ten years), I'm willing to make that trade. You ultimately have to decide for yourself if doing what you love is worth the risk or not, but, personally, I say that it's best to take better precautions next time, pace yourself, and continue to do what you love.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; May 14, 2014 at 2:08 AM. Reason: Clarity.
    Sieg Zeon!

on that zen note: In other words: Enjoy in moderation

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Administrator

I'm also siding with Zeta-G, Kenico, Dlinker, and Exia. Find out just what it was that set this off, and take the above and beyond approach to making sure that it doesn't happen again. I love this hobby as well, and I love painting. If this happens to me, or worse, I'd find a way to make it work. Keep fighting for what you love to do man.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

If you're willing to expose yourself to that kind of danger in exchange for painting plastic, then do as you please.
    I'd not do so.
    Don't you think that was a harbinger and a sign for you to change?
    Try out new hobbies.
    Anime is for kids

Thanks for your advice guys. I think for now, I'm just going to re-engage in my real life and starting doing other things, and if someday something comes along I decide to try again, I will. Otherwise, I'll still do my normal things like gundams, action figures, things like that. I like those type of things, just not as much as model building. Well, guess I will just live my life and if I decide to try again someday I will. That's kinda where i'm at

Sounds like a plan. That will give you some more time to rest up and think on it some more. The hobby will always be here, but your life won't so you're going in the right direction.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Agreed

Sword Freak

I think what I will stick to is model building, like the character model kits, gundams, etc. I do believe I can get satisfaction out of character model building (like the game model characters, plastic model character kits, etc) and if I decide to revisit model building with paints then someday I will revisit that situation. I do know the glues aren't an option for me ever again. It may be possible for me to someday use non toxic primers and paints (like americana) but I am going to give it sometime. As I have what seems to be a full recovery I would just truly hate to ever have something happen like this again. I know that there are certain things in life that are harmful, even gasoline fumes, but in this case it's a choice so I am doing what's best for me and my health. Thanks for all your support and insight. Ultimately I had to decide on my own. I don't really forsee model car building in my future, but I do have other options I am still happy with which is good.

Well, I went to a follow up appointment today and it seems like things are ok. Sounds like I won't be able to paint again though. They pretty much said to stay away from it and if I worked at a job that involved it to get a new job. As you know I was really passionate about this and I had many nights where I did nothing but model cars (in fact that's really all I ever did) and it was such a source of happiness for me. Well, I have been in recovery for a month now and just can't risk this happen again so I will honor their advice. I guess I will just sculpt my life from here. Who knows what will happen, maybe I will find something else. I do like those plastic model kits (like the pre-painted ones), though no where near as much as model cars. But the glues, the paints..it's not worth it, especially since I got lucky. Well, now that I have a piece of mind (at least I know where things are headed) I can kind of re-engage in life and do things. It was just a bit tough because I didn't know if I was permanently down, or if I would heal. No one really knew. Just be careful and protect yourselves. It sounds like this stuff built up in my system over time and finally just gave out. I read stories online of people who would spray paint and hold their breath to "protect" themselves. I was one of those and look what happened. I got lucky I was told as some people are comatized from the stuff, literally. Make sure to protect yourselves and do everything you can to keep yourself self. Don't think a few times won't hurt because it builds up overtime