Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Zaku's Blacksmithing stuff

Hey guys does anyone know where i can find a good used anvil. The only places i can find is like e-bay. But i dont trust them. They might try to sell me a cheap cast iron anvil and call it a steel or wrought iron anvil. Im still a rookie. But i have learned a few thing like how to hit the anvil with a hammer and listen for the ringing. Ive been using my neighbors equipment because he is the one teaching me. But im building my own forge. And im getting my hands on a hammer and tongs. Then i want to make myself some more hammers tongs and punches. I learned how to make a bottle opener that looks like a wizards head. And my neighbor made all the tools to make it with. Id like to try to make a punch like he has. For the eyes. But anyway. The anvil is going to be the most expensive part. And im having trouble. Ill use a piece of railroad track for now. But i want more flat surface area. And more mass. The railroad tie bounces when you strike it. Also id like to find a proper bellows. My neighbor has a nice one but he got lucky finding one. And one day id like to make an automatic hammer. And yea he has one. Its bad ass and he made it. Also does anyone know how much trouble you would get in for taking railroad spikes. The track has a sign that says its out of service. And it has been for a long tome. There are trees growing in the middle of the track.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Answering your question about the railroad spikes, yes can take them if the rail line is out of service. I do not know where could find an anvil. You could try Acme Inc. or a blacksmith.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Ok i was wondering about that. Thanks. Im not so sure how happy they would be with be if i were caught sawing up their old train tracks. But its just a damn shame to have all that steel just siting there when i could be making something out of it. It seems like the cost of shipping an anvil too me would suck. I my neighbor has a few anvils but he needs them. I wish i knew more blacksmiths.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

Ill ask wile coyote if he has one he can spare. Lol

Zaku on kova luu.

Ah-ha!! This guy gets it.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Lol i asked him and he said yes but id have to scrape the road runner off first lol.

Zaku on kova luu.

Am i the only blacksmith on here?

Zaku on kova luu.

Probably. The only metal working I do occasionally is welding.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

MIG, TIG, stick or all the above? I can MIG and stick weld all day long but ive only tried TIG once. My neighbor had a TIG welder he is going to let me borrow so i can practice. And yea i figured i might be the only one. It was a shot in the dark. But oh well it doesn't hurt to ask.

Zaku on kova luu.

TIG, Electric Arc, and Oxy-acetylene welding.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

I forgot about brazing. Ive done that before as well its so easy. If i remember correct you only need the brazing flux for when you re welding something or welding something to a different type of metal right? And can you TIG weld thin aluminum? That shit is a bit frustrating. I did learn a neat trick though. if you take a scrap piece of copper and bend it at a ninety then vice grip it below where you are welding it will act as a heat sink. And you can weld hotter to get good penetration and move faster so you are not keeping the heat in the same place.

Zaku on kova luu.

I was checking into a anvil for myself also a little while back and the ones they sell at harbor freight are very popular for beginers and cheap are to boot. They are cast iron but most people weld a piece of AR500 steal to the top. It will support you for a while till you get good and find a bigger and better anvil

I can't do aluminum TIG (I didn't get that far in my class) nor can I do Stainless Steel. Still, if you've got some cold rolled steel I can weld it. Though it's been a while since I last welded something, I might be a little rusty (pun intended).
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
    I was checking into a anvil for myself also a little while back and the ones they sell at harbor freight are very popular for beginers and cheap are to boot. They are cast iron but most people weld a piece of AR500 steal to the top. It will support you for a while till you get good and find a bigger and better anvil
    Ive hear nothing but bad about cast iron anvils. Ive even seen a few that had the horn broken off. Ill defiantly look into it. But im not afraid of investing in higher quality tools.

Zaku on kova luu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I can't do aluminum TIG (I didn't get that far in my class) nor can I do Stainless Steel. Still, if you've got some cold rolled steel I can weld it. Though it's been a while since I last welded something, I might be a little rusty (pun intended).
    Lol. Ive played with it a bit but man sharpening your carbide to a tiny tiny tip helps keep the arc from going every where.

Zaku on kova luu.