Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    No I have helped my roommate make swords and knives but I myself and not interested in my own setup but he likes helping

Re: Zaku's Blacksmithing stuff

does he have you be his striker? and my forge is not long enough to temper swords. i can make them all day but if you cant temper them then whats the point. id like to build a gas forge for that. but id need more room to work. maybe one day. but im not going to do it if i cant do it right.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

My roommates got fire brick that he uses ill take some pics tomorrow to show you all he's got. And no im not the striker I run the blower for the forge and sometimes hold tongs for him to strike

oh ok. well thats good of you to help out. it lets him focus on the build. and that would be cool.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

Hey sorry these took so long havent had the forge out and running in a while. Gotta find the pics of the completed work.uploadfromtaptalk1431102777291.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431102799342.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431102818029.jpg

not bad. do those fire bricks reflect a lot of heat? i actually just finished upgrading my break drum forge. i still need to line it with fire clay and get some air on it but after that ill be back at it. now that the weather is nice again i need to do that.

Zaku on kova luu.

The brick does keep heat in really well if thats what you mean.

It looks like it limits how much you can put in there. After I get back to it ill take a pic of my forge and post it. I keep forgetting about this thread. I need to post some pics. My forge is a break drum with a greater plate on it. Lined with fire clay. And your friends anvil has a very blunt horn. Thats interesting.

Zaku on kova luu.

Its an old old one thats basically a family heirloom

it looks like the tip of the horn got knocked off and someone re-shaped it. and it does not have a pritchel hole. which you dont need but it is a nice thing to have. if i were you id finish that horn. the way it is there is no bevel as in a gradient down the length of the horn. you dont have to you can just make hardy tools to do the job but it would make your work go faster.

Zaku on kova luu.

Super Moderator

I am just commenting because, well, pink floyd shirt in a picture always deserves praise! XD

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

aye always. and any interest in smiting Squee?

Zaku on kova luu.

Super Moderator

Its pretty cool to watch the process, i enjoy checking it out on youtube, but i couldn't really do anything at home. While i have a back yard, i am in a suburban area. Pretty sure my neighbors would flip out if i started doing that.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

oh yea im sure they would. the smoke is horrible. well it actually smells good, but its pure death. after just a few hours you go blow your nose and its solid black. and that's standing up wind of it. lol. i live in the middle of nowhere and me and my neighbor have forges and no one cares. i can just walk out my back door and start shooting every gun i own then ten minuets later my neighbors will start shooting and the guys down the road will start shooting. then sometimes ill walk next door and go shoot with my neighbors and see what they are shooting and show off a new rifle and stuff. lol its great. it has its downsides but there are advantages to living in the middle of nowhere. but if you work during the day you could make a gas forge for cheap and if the noise does no bother them there is no smoke. im sure you could set something simple up. blacksmithing is like gunpla its only as expensive and involved as you let it be. nothing wrong with being a casual. im intermediate myself.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so i only get to go to blacksmith guild meetings that dont coincide with army reserves drill. and most of the time i forget to take pictures. then when i do i forget to post them anywhere lol. last meeting i was not able to make it so i dont know what went on. but i was there the one before last and we had a guy from tandy leather come out and do demonstrations and sell stuff and let all of us (yea all of us) do hands on. it was awesome.
    It was a full day of leather working classes. everything you can think of. he taught us about different types of leather, different grades of leather how you can tell the difference by look and feel, the different weights of leather, what animal skins are better for what applications, top grain uses vs bottom grain suede uses. how to shape leather, how to make jigs and molds to shape leather. how to make an object so the leather will not wrinkle so the final result looks much better. how to attach hardware to leather so it will be as strong as possible and last a very long time. when to use rivets vs when to stitch. techniques and things to keep in mind that are specific to making gun holsters and knife sheaths, litteraly everything you can think of.

he showed us how to tool leather and some tooling is easy just very time consuming and some things are not difficult you just have to pay attention and take your time more so.

an interesting thing to note he showed us these patterns they sell. you wet the leather then press them down on it and it gives you a imprint of the pattern to follow. it is no deep enough to be on its own so you have to carefully cut and tool along the lines. and if you mess up its permanent.

they make all kinds of them. i think the dragon one looks really bad ass.

they also sell stamp sets you can buy. they make a lot of different patterns. ive been thinking of trying to forge some instead of buy some but it might be more work than its worth. the time i take to make a stamp i could use to use one of their stamps i bought on a leather project. but i may think of a pattern they dont make or just want to much for. we will see.
    the sell every leather working tool you could think of. this one is for cleaning up edges. it makes your work look more professional.

this little swivel knife is a lot harder to use than you might think. and you need it a LOT. just about everything you tool needs you to use this in one or two steps in the process.

this little booger is for hand stitching. it makes holes for the thread to go through. simple.

the stamps are so easy to use and they look so good. you wet the leather let it soak up the water we it again then just stamp it. some are made where the pattern can connect to do a border and some are made to stand alone.

and you can use them in combination to create effects. like a basket weave that sinks into the leather.

he also did a good long class on hand stitching. how to do a saddle stitch as well as others. how to start a stitch and how to stop it. what to do it you run out of string before you expected to how to meet two stitches together and have the ends hidden and have it be tight and strong and not come apart ever. he taught us the different types of thread we can use. and what are best for what uses. did you know they sell traditional sinew thread? like tendons made into thread. i though that was neat. he taught us how to make a jig to hold the leather while you are stitching it and to make it out of wood so it wont mar the leather. he taught us how to hold the needles and how to keep everything tight while you stitch. he showed us you keep the stitch straight with this cool tool. you take it and adjust it to the width you want the stitch to be from the edge and it cuts a little channel. and it cuts it even all the way.

then you take that fork shaped punch i showed you earlier. and make your holes. he taught us to keep the last fork on the last hole you made so each stitch is the same exact distance apart.

the needles are blint so you dont have to worry about stabing your fingers. the saddle stitch is easy and very strong. i think its what ill use for pretty much everything i make.

then we got some hands on. anything you wanted to try. after i tried some stitches i had to play with the tooling. the swivel knife is not as easy as it looks lol. and i did not have my leather wet enough. you have to remember to keep it wet while you work. i got to into it i forgot to keep it wet and was hitting to hard lol. not sure why its cutting half my pic off but oh well. here is some ugly ass tooling.

oh i forgot to mention he taught us how to stain and seal the leather to. the different types of stain and how the color looks different than when it dries so always go a shade lighter than what you think you want. you can always go over it one more time. and he had stuff for sale. OH MAN i had some cash on me that day id be a broke mofo. the prices there were cheaper than on there online store AND of course no shipping. damn i wish i had had cash on me. if there were an ATM anywhere near there i would have went and got cash. he also did a little show and tell. to show you that hand made is hardcore high quality. this pistol belt he made all by hand caught my eye. there were a few very nice knife sheaves and a bad ass quiver he brought to show as well but i was drooling so hard i forgot to take pics of those. lol
    he had everything you need there for sale and man im tellin you the prices were nice.

there was a big bin of leathers of every weight and grain for sale to. and he had more stuff for sale in the back of his truck. here is that belt he made. i tried to get good pics.

he didnt even use a pattern for this thing. this guy really knows his shit.

oh and.. one more thing... the guy did not charge the guild a single cent to come out and do this. Tandy leather sent him with all the stuff to do the class for free. (no doubt they made their moneys worth selling stuff to us though (damn i wish i had had cash))

Zaku on kova luu.

That's some awesome leather work! Watched a guy every couple of weekends work on the same piece came out with an amazing wolf stamped bracer.