Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Zaku's Blacksmithing stuff

Its just a hobby for now. I honestly don't think i could find a job doing this although i do intend on making a few things for sale. But for now its just for fun although im fiercely ambitious lol.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

I've got a love for metallurgy, but I don't think I'd try this. Nice to see someone getting into it, though, it's quite interesting, if dangerous for untrained folks sometimes. I've heard stories about blacksmiths going through airport security, and minute flecks of metal in their body from various accidents cause a real problem. D:

Couldn't help but notice the Wolf spider you posted earlier. Isn't it true that males generally have duller banding? You could search for an image of a female to give you some contrast. I might be wrong, though, plenty of different kinds of wolf spiders, and my B. Smithi didn't show off her full colors for quite some time, so age is a factor.

"No, you can't wash the pillow Sleeves. They're my people & they need me."

Yes a lot of very painful and life threatening things can happen doing metal work but risk is inherent in anything you do. Comes with the territory. And ive heard similar rumors although i dont think there true. I doubt its enough metal to set off a metal detector. And if it is you have bigger problems lol. My neighbor had to get a cat scan once and he had so many metal flakes stuck in his knees from kneeling down in the shop over the years that he could feel the electro magnet pulling on them lol and i think thats true about woulf spiders. I know that the females had large round abdomens and males have small ones but i honestly cant remember if the males color is lighter off the top of my head.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

It had a lot to do with a certain grinding tool that had a tendency to throw things back at you, unless you had a firm grip and were properly protected. I wish I could find the source of this again.

It's probably true that you've got a female there & it's just not old enough to have brighter banding, which the females do. You're right about the abdomen.

"No, you can't wash the pillow Sleeves. They're my people & they need me."

Huh maybe a bench grinder throwing sparks? Idk and its a fairly large wolf spider too. We have ones that live in the attic that are bigger than my hand.

- - - Updated - - -

So ferrite becomes cementite by way of carbon being introduced into the mix. And cementite mechanically layered with ferrite is pearlite. Then when that it heated enough the iron and carbon mix evenly and become austenite. Ferrite is a body centered cubic lattice and austenite is a face centered cubic lattice. Is any of that correct? Do any of you guys know? I googled it but every source i find explained it way different and im trying to connect the dots. Maybe im burned out on it for a bit. Idk. And i dont understand what the eutectoid point is at all. It says "the more carbon you add to the steel the more pearlite is generated until you reach a point of 0.83% carbon, this is the eutectoid point. There is no free ferrite at this point. From there if more carbon is added it still forms yet more iron carbide or cementite (Fe3C)" but if there is no free ferrite then how can it form more cementite? The carbon itself would just form a grain boundary fill. There is not ferrite for it to bond too to form cementite. And is austenite and martensite the only ones with the face centered cubic body structure. And i though heat determined the structure not carbon. Man i feel dumb as shit today. All day today ive been doing dumb stuff and feeling dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone is out there. Lurking my thread. I suggest you watch this. And if you do. Watch it with the subtitles on. Its really funny
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Zaku on kova luu.

i keep running into little snags and changes of plan building this break drum forge but it is coming along. yesterday i got the clinker breaker figured out and i got the grater plate i needed. it shouldn't be too much longer and ill have it up and running. but for now im still using my neighbors forge and the blacksmith guilds when we have meet ups.

Zaku on kova luu.

They don't mind you using their equipment for your project?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Check with any local salvage yards in your area. They may have an Anvil. My Dad and I find all kinds of neat stuff at our local salvage yard.

-Kevin W

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    They don't mind you using their equipment for your project?
    No they dont mind. I keep trying to pay them for the coal i use and everything but they are to nice to me. He just out of the blue gave me two black powder rifles and everything i need to shoot them and bought me materials for a few parts for the forge and things like that. He lets me use his forge his welder his plasma cutter his sanders and grinders and drill press and everything. I try to do as much as i can for him like yard work and help with heavy lifting as often as i can. Just anything i can do to show i appreciate his help. And teaching me blacksmithing. He also has a lot of books on blacksmithing and he lets me borrow them. My neighbor is way to nice lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDub View Post
    Check with any local salvage yards in your area. They may have an Anvil. My Dad and I find all kinds of neat stuff at our local salvage yard.
    My neighbor gave me one that the sides were knocked off of. And let me use his welder to re furbish it. He is to good to me.

Zaku on kova luu.

Ok not nessisarily blacksmithing but something i decided to fiddle with. I saw this video while googling stuff about smithing and said hmm thats neat. So i figured id try it and see if i want to go more in depth with it and use it to etch petterns on knives i make. I pretty much did exactly what this person did in this video.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHw6GduIGcw
    And decided id try to etch one of my cresant wrenches. The set up i just rigged up is much more make shift although i like my idea of puting the positive on a crappy C jaw vicegrip i had laying around. Here is an ACTION SHOT lol

Its coming out fairly well and i think ill go ahead and try it on some more of my tools to see if i can through experience with it come up with a more efficent method or set up. I think ill try to do a. Zeon embelem on my wrench. Lets see someone try to jack my wrench now. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Well i cant seem to find a Zeon emblem sticker to chop up and i failed miserably at free hand drawing one lol. So i guess im done for the night.

- - - Updated - - -

But it turned out well. It looks like shit because i put no effort into cutting the initials in the electric tape but the etch is perfectly on the border of the tape. With no undercut.

Zaku on kova luu.

any ideas on how i could make a Zeonic emblem in the face of a punch? i want to use it as my maker's mark.

Zaku on kova luu.

what do you mean by the face of a punch?
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191916&dateline=14222  50061

SETH ROLLINS IS CHAMP!

The working edge. The part that is being driven into the material.

Zaku on kova luu.

Zaku ill get with my roommate and get some pics and info for you that might help your process as he's already quite the blacksmith

id appreciate that. and to answer your question. im in a blacksmith guild. and my neighbor is one of the senior members. he is a very knowledgeable man. so i end up learning a lot from him. but i do a lot of fiddling around on my own. so im a bit of both. are you interested in getting into it yourself?

Zaku on kova luu.