Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    You can tell its female because of the abdomen shape. See how round her but is? A male does not have a large abdomen like that.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

I know where to go to get fire bricks but where do they sell cinder blocks? Every where around here wants you to be a contractor and buy a truck load.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

My new blacksmithing hammer. Its an Eastwing 2.5lb

Im still anvil hunting though

Zaku on kova luu.

Im talking to myself now. Lol i guess i really have gone crazy. Hhehehe. I guess me and PsycoDiver are the only blacksmiths on here and he isnt online much.

Zaku on kova luu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    My new blacksmithing hammer. Its an Eastwing 2.5lb

Im still anvil hunting though
    Oooooohhhhh. That is an awesome hammer. My welding instructor used something similar and he loved it. Sometimes we would get a little artsy with our metal working projects. I once made a scale replica of a Type XXI German U-Boat (though that one could have gone better), a working trebuchet, and a Starfleet badge.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Im talking to myself now. Lol i guess i really have gone crazy. Hhehehe. I guess me and PsycoDiver are the only blacksmiths on here and he isnt online much.
    I'm not a blacksmith lol, I've done a bunch of research on it because I was considering taking up the hobby though and I'm on here like 3 times a day, its just I have nothing to post, at least not till May when the last episode of Unicorn comes out

If you are serious about the blacksmithing, you need to check out what Jesse James is up to. You may not like the guy as a person, but as a fabricator he is top notch! Dude moved down to Austin and is now a serious blacksmith and gunsmith. He is in the process of making a custom 1911 45. The slide is made from damascus that he forged and then machined, etched and polished. Sucker is freakin awesome!!

@Zeta: it is a nice hammer. It feels good in you hand and bounces off the anvil nicely. And it sounds like you had an awesome welding instructor. I learned how to weld the boring way. "Here is a welder now walk to the scrap metal bin and bring as much as you can carry over here. Ok now weld. Now your doing this wrong. Now your doing this wrong" eventually i figured it out. Lol

@PsycoDiver: oh lol. Well you had me convinced. Im just getting into the hobby myself. My neighbor is teaching me a LOT. and had a nice forge. He has a coal forge and a gas forge. And every tool you could ever imagine. Even a power hammer. So im learning the basics and making my own tools. Next time i go over their im going to make myself a set of tongs and a different hammer. Im thinking of making a cross pein with a broader face. And id really love to learn blade smithing. And i was wondering why you were not online so much.

@Okeria29: holy shit that sounds awesome. But at the same time why do damascus? Yes it looks bad ass but if you mess up the forge welding process and the metal does not weld together properly ooh that would be a bad day. BOOM slide parts flying everywhere. Lol i suppose it would be just more of a show pice.

Zaku on kova luu.

So my ultimate goal with blacksmithing is i want very badly to learn bladesmithing. As i see it making blades is the pinnacle of blacksmithing. And i just had a thought. Ive ben wanting to make a cutlass amd i want to make it look real nautical like. Because i fell in love with the ocean and just living near blue water when i lived in North Carolina. And i had an idea a few minutes ago about a feature of this cutlass i want to make. The cross guard is going to be a basket hilt. Well half basket. It will come around to protect your hand but it will not connect to the pommel. And the idea i had was i would make it out of 1/2'' brass rod. And leave the hammer marks. Then heat it in the forge again and take my smallest Torques bits and hammer it into the brass to make a mark that looks like the Torques bits. To make it look just like coral. This is the kind of coral i find on the beach in NC a lot.

Zaku on kova luu.

Re: I need a used Anvil.

I want to be a blacksmith now

Damn thats a sexy sword. Honestly if i could have any thing in that video id kill for some of those tools. He has smelting tools, a proper gas sword forge, all those saws and all that sexy blacksmithing knowledge lol. Knowledge is the best tool.

Zaku on kova luu.

Can we change the title of this thread to "Zaku's Blacksmithing stuff" plz.
    I figured id start a thread about blacksmithing and general metal working. For us to discuss our love of metal. Saturday we had our blacksmith guild meeting and i really love this hobby. One of the more senior members did a long through course on making folding knives from scratch and he was a little funny because you could tell he wasn't used to talking in front of a group. But you could CERTAINLY tell the man knows his shit. I had a head ache i learned so much from his class. He covered some basics then jumped right into some really complicated parts and all kinds of insanely good sage advice went flying every where. He covered the little quirks of the mechanism that drives knife makers insane on a regular basis. And a lot of stuff about how the spring had to be and where you have elbow room for creativity. And what all the master blacksmiths are looking at when they look at your work and why. And trust me when a smith thats been doing this twice as long as you've been alive picks up a pice of your work you sweat bullets lol. And when he talks you damn well better listen. So tell me about your metal working projects guys.

- - - Updated - - -

He gave a very long very detailed corse and showed us a lot of good stuff.

One of the things he taught was to first draw the knife on paper then draw the components on card stock then assemble the card stock knife to make sure your parts are roughed in well enough to fit together but give yourself as much play as possible at first so you can adjust how far the blade sits when opened and closed. and how that spring fits on the tang of the blade. After that its good practice to make one out of aluminum to test the fit and mechanism.

Now i cant give you every detail of his class because it was a lot of info in a half day so im just giving you some interesting parts.
    He also shoed us little tricks to keep the edge of the blade from hitting the spring when the knife is closed. And how to measure how much pre load is on the spring and how to adjust the load so its not to hard to close but not loose.

Then we did some hands on and i forgot about a pice in the forge and burned the steel. Which started a whole lesson on metallurgy and physics. We get side tracked sometimes lol.(real life thread derailment lol)

Here you can see how huge the grain of the steel got because of over heating.
    So after that failure i let a buddy have the forge for a bit and he started hammering out a blade.

Its curved like that on purpose. When you start making the edge itself it straightens out. If you dont put a forward curve in it for them start it would bend back and when you try to straighten it it just wrinkles and looks like shit.
    Sadly i couldn't stay all day my neighbor had a wedding to attend so we had to go. But it was still awesome. I learn so much each guild meeting i go to.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing ive been trying to work out is a way to tie in Gunpla with Blacksmithing. Ive been considering buying a smelting pot and doing lost wax casting but the problem with that is when you bust the part out of the mold you have scale all over it and in the process of cleaning it off you lose material thus your part is smaller. Not only that but for certain parts that need to be exact metal shrinks as it cools so you not only lose mass for removing and polishing the part but you have to carve out the mold to be slightly larger yet proportional and symmetrical. So lost wax casting Gunpla parts is looking bleaker and bleaker. However i could just rough out a part on the anvil then finalize with the files and sand paper depending on what im making this might be practical. What i want to do is first try to make a full set of pistons for my Zaku 2.0. I though about doing it for the Gelgoog but you cant really see the pistons except for the ones in the ankles. I cant say i have a answer to this dilemma yet but im sure working on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been making myself a bunch of really nifty hardy hole tools too. Like one is for holding material so i have a free hand to punch or drift. It very helpful.
    Last edited by Zaku; October 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Zaku on kova luu.

Administrator

Re: Zaku's Blacksmithing stuff

Really impressive sir. Metal work is an art, I admire the guys that can work metal into something that is a true piece of craftsmanship. Keep at it man!
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

It really is. And its a very involved technical trade. I mean were making knives from nothing its very tedious and requires a lot of patience and a shit ton of skill. Im determined to be better at it but man its work. And sometimes not the fun kind of work lol.

Zaku on kova luu.

Are you considering it as just a hobby for now or do you have aspirations for making it into a possible career path?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."