Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233

Thread: Firearms pt.2

Re: Firearms pt.2

.308 it is then. You're right, it's a standard round that is also marginally cheaper for me ($50 cheaper lately for 500 rounds online). It's going to hurt my wallet a bit next year when I get a Garand since that will be 30-06 first before I send it out to be re-barreled for .308. I can get a Garand that's already in .308, but it's double the price and I'd rather be able to pick my barrel for it.

I'm dead set on a getting a Savage 110, man. It's the most affordable one that's still quality, and the aftermarket support means I'll be able to put it on a chassis down the road, which is my ultimate desire. Something about those chassis systems...

I really don't mind buying guns simply because one wants them. Assuming CA doesn't ban guns completely, I personally will not stop buying guns. I want a 1911 in 10mm and 9mm, that .357 Magnum revolver, a PC carbine, a couple of milsurp rifles (Swedish Mauser and Lee Enfield MKIII come to mind), an AR-10, a semi-auto shotgun, a FAL, and whatever else becomes available in the later years. I'll probably have to buy a separate safe just for the safe queens.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Please post a lot of pics of the M1. Thats a rifle ive heen drooling over for a long time.

And if you really want a bolt gun for the purpose of precision and are willing to wait till you get more experience in the hobby and see if you want to be a nail driver then consider buying an unfinished aftermarket Remington 700 action and building it out. Remington company has gone to shit and i would not recommend buying a rifle or even components from them but the 700 is a proven platform and has been in military service for a long time. And you can buy a remmington 700 action that is aftermarket and good quality. Also the aftermarket for them is probably the biggest and best for any bolt action platform and nothing beats a hand built bolt action rifle. Ill post some vids here in a bit and show you some details.

Not that im saying the 110 is bad but if the purpose of the gun is precision then your options are 1. But a gun from a custom shop 2. Buy a rifle like the 110 then bed the stock, lap the reciver, lap the locking lugs, lap the bolt face, bed the stock and lap the scope rings. 3. Buy an unfinished receiver and build exactly the bolt gun you want doing the steps of option 2 as you go. The main benefits are consistent lasting accuracy and features you want. Like a detachable box magazine. Adjustable comb and length of pull. A action legth specific to your purpose and a rail milled into the action for more rigidity than a section of rail screwed on. And you can get a heavy fluted barrel. Also you would probably enjoy building it.

You can get damn decent accuracy from a good quality bolt gun out of the box with match ammo the gun likes but you will never get as good as a rifle that is built out custom. But its work and not cheap so if thats something you think you want then id say wait till you get further into the hobby and decided if you wanna go down that rabbit hole.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to add this is a project ive been wanting to get to myself. Also you gotta find a gunsmith that will rent tools. Cause some are to expensive to buy just to build one gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Or have them do the one operation tuat requires the expensive reamer. Most of the lapping tools arent expensive they just are a lot of work.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

For sure I'll post pics of it when I get one. It's going to be a long wait, but I bet it will be worth it to own such an iconic piece of American history.

I think most I'll do with with a bolt-action is put it on a chassis, only because I read about it helping with accuracy without the need for bedding. All of the machining and such I just can't do with the limited amount of space in my garage. However, I am not against buying a barreled action and sending it out to be built so I might do that after a few years. And likely after I get into reloading. At least I have enough space to get started with that.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

You dont have to have a mill. but the tools are quite expensive. it would be if you ever decided to be a nail driver and REALLY get into the accuracy side of the hobby. it would not be worth it to do just one rifle though. If you can wait to get into the accuracy side of things and decide on a caliber it would be best to send a barreled action off and have the work done for you instead of investing in expensive tools you are only going to use once. 308 is decent and a NATO caliber but there are lots of others that blow it out of the water. and ive heard the military is thinking about adopting 6.5 creedmore for some special operations groups. if that happens its price and availability will be more consistent. and putting a rifle in a chassis can help if the chassis is more rigid than the stock the rifle was in but nothing beats proper bedding. and really all of this depends on what kind of accuracy you are after and how deep your wallet is. and look at how far the longest rifle range is to you. you are going to be mad if you sink 2500 bucks into a rifle then rarely ever get to shoot it. id suggest you wait to go down that rabbit hole and more than likely a 308 that has been accurized would be plenty good for most anything you would realistically do. personally im planning on trading some accuracy for faster followup shots by building out an AR-10. im planning on getting the expensive reamers and the whole nine yards. ARs are my thing and i already get a lot of work from random firefighters cause i rebuilt the former fire chiefs collection. he has a legit ass M-16A1 i did a complete rebuild on. man i was so fucking careful with that thing even though i had to use my baby sledge to beat the tapered pins out of the gas block. lol. i wrapped the receiver in a towel and taped that up then wrapped the flash hider and taped that up and made a bench block to fit it just right and mauled the shit out of a bunch of brass punches. but i got it off without any damage to the rifle. but yea after i get my own mill and lathe im planning on building my own ARs from scratch (except the bore and rifling) and accurizing them.

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to post the vid i was talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35c6BqxpYSs

- - - Updated - - -

However it is very good information and id really study up on it if i were you. knowing what surfaces are critical and in what way is very helpful and will be relevant when you get into hand loading for accuracy. also if reloading is something you think you want to get into id STRONGLY suggest getting a reloading handbook and reading up as soon as possible. the sooner you get that knowledge built up the less you have to learn when you actually get to into it. the hornady handbook has a lot of good info in it.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

If the stars align and a longer range becomes available to me, I am definitely going to get a bolt-action at least in 6.5CM since that seems to be one of the best long-range rounds to choose from without it being in the much larger calibers. It's a big waste now when the most I can get is a paltry 200 yards to play in so I'm going to stay in the minor leagues for the foreseeable future.

Sounds amazing, being able to work on a legit period-issued M16. If there's a rifle that speaks of the USA, that's it. If you do end up making custom ARs, consider me one of your customers. Given a choice, I would love to go with building my own AR-10 too, but here in CA, it's going to be public enemy number one and end up having to go featureless or fixed mag or straight up banned. It sucks because the thought of an up-sized AR lobbing big rounds at long range is just pure awesomeness.

I read that either the Hornady manual or the Lee handbook are excellent for anyone getting into reloading. What I don't know is whether to get both or just one of them.