Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Firearms pt.2

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Firearms pt.2

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    What answer did they give you?
    I got the look. You know the one, that "Don't be an asshat" Look that every Gunny can give. So never did get an actual answer. Go figure.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Damn. Yea maybe a bit to familiar with that look. Lol

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

I'll stick to 7 yards then, until I get comfy with the recoil and basics. When I'm able to be consistent with my groups, I'll extend the distance.

Makes me wonder how much difficulty I'll have keeping a rifle steady when I shoot those. I find the extra weight of a rifle helps with stability.

Yea added weight can help with pistol accuracy to. A lot of competition guns have weights under the barrel. At least paper killers. Guys that run coarses like light guns.

And with a rifle you may get tired fast and ha e the sights wobble. But there are techniques that help with that for some situations. Like bring the rifle up and bring the sights above the target a bit then squeeze off the shot as you drop your sight picture onto center.

- - - Updated - - -

The added weight helps you stabilize but obviously makes your support arm tired faster. But for offhand accuracy it does help.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    And with a rifle you may get tired fast and ha e the sights wobble. But there are techniques that help with that for some situations. Like bring the rifle up and bring the sights above the target a bit then squeeze off the shot as you drop your sight picture onto center.
    I might end up doing that for both the AR and SKS, since they are a tad front-heavy for me. Speaking of the AR, it's kinda sad when you take it out and you don't even remember to how to lock the bolt carrier open. Was testing out the Bear Flag Loader with it and my brother and I completely forgot how to keep it open. Had to watch a YouTube vid to refresh our memory. 4 years since we last went to the range with it, man. Sucks.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Yea its a helpful technique. And in rapid fire you sort of use a modified version of it where you bounce your front sight on the target so to speak.

And i feel bad for you cali boys. I really do. Im just lucky to live in a free state where i can have non-neutered ARs and stuff. I wish the gun community could get together and push back at least some of the blatant infringement that is US gun law. And dont feel bad there are a lot of people out there who have zero experience with any firearm. You will get it with some practice.

Zaku on kova luu.

I was reading something on Reddit how gun owners are almost becoming the new LGBT when it comes to stigma in the US. Just baffles me how a nation founded by people who rose up against a crappy government using guns they owned, created a Constitution that specifically protects such a right, and has been part of the culture from the very beginning is now considering betraying its own essence.

The worst part is that facts, statistics, numbers, etc. all say that gun violence is not what the mass media and politicians say it is. In fact, things have actually improved. It's shocking how much effort is being taken to mislead everyone towards disarming the population.

Its been like that for a long time. The best example i can think of right now is open bolt gun. Open bolt (even semi-auto only) was banned for civilian sale/use/possession because the ATF decided they were to easy to to convert to full auto. It does not get a whole lot worse than the government decideding you cant own something because its to easy to convert to another something they decided they dont want you having. Suppressors are another good example of how bad it already is. You have to ask permission, wait till they decide they are ready to answer you, go through background check after background check THEN PAY THE FUCKS if they say yes you can have that.

The gun community is like the principality of zeon. We cant stop infighting (lookin at you NRA) and get organized to push back hard enough to make any changes. Ill admit when i voted for trump i really did hope things would get better. But he has been a huge disappointment as far as second amendment rights go. Shit leadership and infighting is killing us.

- - - Updated - - -

And yea the times a gun owner has put down or prevented a mass shooting or robbery most of the time goes quiet on the news and only circulates in certain groups on social media.

- - - Updated - - -

And there's the difficult question of "where does the second amendment end specifically?" Privately owned nuclear weapons? Biological? Chemical? Are ownership requirements going to be in place for them? If so who's to say some democrat politician cant claim "ASSSSSSAULT WEAPONS ARE DANGEROUS WE NEED OWNERSHIP REQUIREMENTS FOR THEM TO!" the slipery slope principle applies to every law and policy and in every way it can be used for or against the people and their ability to defend themselves from an oppressive government. On principal i support the right to privately owned nukes. But i hoestly cant say for sure some crazy liberal movie star wouldn't glass Washington because someone like trump won the presidency and they "WOULD RATHER DIE THAN SEE LLLITTERALLY HITLERRRRRRRR BECOME PRESIDENT REEEEEEEE" but at the same time would rlthey really know enough about firearm law and keep current enough to know they could own nukes? None of it is a simple issue. Hypothetically if some crazy commie movie star did try to nuke the white house we have missle defense systems in place but that still might detonate tue nuke over US mainland and shower some states with fallout. All this is unlikely sure but Murphys law. All im saying is its a difficult subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally id say its worth the risk. But its a question you have to ask yourself and figure out where you stand on it.

Zaku on kova luu.

Gotta agree on the infighting. It's not something that can be easily overcome too, because like with every other type of ownership, you have those with common sense and those that are ruining it for everyone else. This leads back to what you said about the limits of the 2nd amendment, which I think is needed thanks to the nutjobs out there who can't control their urges.

I honestly don't know where it would end, but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to come up with something that's plenty beneficial to everyone. All I know is if it's not in the hands of the military, then it should be up for grabs for civilians.

The need for registration I'm kinda iffy on too. I'm all for it if they can create one that cannot be abused for the purposes of confiscation without due process and that the government has limited access to it (keeps the grubby hands of politicians away from it). Otherwise, I'm against it.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Yea and it goes deeper than that to. Gun rights groups using our rights as bargaining chips to get politicians to do what they want and give them money for endorsements. Big gun companies selling us down the creek because they only care about government contracts. It isnt every large gun manufacturer but some have been stabbing us in the back for a long time. And i honestly dont completely trust any gun rights group but the NRA is the worst by far. They even had a big hand in pushing the bump stock ban. And that is going to set a precedent for more and more components to be banned on a national level based off how they are wrongly understood to function.

And honestly i do support everything up to nuclear biological and chemical weapons. But its still a hard call. Another example are privately owned surface to air missles. They would be a piece of gear critical to a civilian body in neutralizing a out of control government. But at the same time one terrorist or crazy could shoot down commercial aircraft if they fly low enough. But i would be willing to take the risk for that freedom. And with civilians being able to buy and own them no other legislation would be able to prevent an individual from taking shots at aircraft. No ammount of transportation or use restrictions would keep a crazy or terrorist from taking one just off an airfield and taking out a commercial aircraft. However the same rule of "an armed social is a polite society" would apply. If most people are armed and carry anyone at anytime could stand a hight chance of preventing that. The whole only thing that stops a badguy with a gun is a goodguy with a gun mentality.

And i oppose registration for anything. There is no way to implement it in a way it cant be used to take awau people's riguts. A registry itself is an abuse. And there is no way to keep the federal governments hands off of anything unless you have as much or more physical force at your disposal. At anu time they can call you a terrorist or criminal and ruby ridge you ass. Once again the "only force stops force" thing.

Zaku on kova luu.

All in all, gun owners just don't seem to catch a break with anything. It's when I think of things like this that makes me want to buy a house in Wyoming and just live there since they have some of the most lax gun laws in the country.

On the lighter side of things, I'm going to the range again tonight to sight in the scope for my 10/22. Supposedly the scope is meant for 50 yards so I'll see if the claims are true.

Yea good majority of this hobby is having uour dreams crushed by bans. Like import bans keep us from getting so much good stuff and makes what comes in either stupid expensive or a crappy build of a parts kit by a importer.

And nice. My buddy is currently drolling over a 10/22 take down model. Boogers are nice

Zaku on kova luu.

I actually haven't gone to the range yet. Was going to that one night, but there was too much wind so it wouldn't have been a good idea to sight in a scope with a round that can be thrown all over. Might be the day tonight, if there aren't strong winds again.

And yeah, I hate the import bans. I understand the point, but it still sucks. There's a lot of good stuff from overseas that are affordable and actually CA-compliant too while not being complete pieces of crap. Now, the only way to get them is to pay way too much for them. A few years ago, a Saiga in 7.62x39 cost a mere $300 brand new. Now it's $800+ depending on where you get it from.

One thing that really pains me is how Molot has new production SKS rifles out that have scope mounts on the stock so no more need to bubba them in any way. I'd love to get me one of those to complement my history piece SKS.

Yea like we were talking about before with the CMP bringing in those M1s. From what i understand there are a LOT more M1s just sitting around that dont get hit as hard by tue import restrictions because the law says anything US made is good to go. But the CMP makes things a pain to get and not the best prices.

And i know how that is. I just converted my press to 9mm and made about 50 rounds that i want to test fire. And ive not had the chance to just go out in the back yard and hammer em off. Always busy or got company over or something. If those run right im gonna crank out a thousand of those supersonic then dail down till im getting consistent sub sonic velocities for my dads suppressed scorpion. Just gotta get around to it.

Zaku on kova luu.

"When I get around to it" is such a common saying when it comes to enjoying guns, haha.

I did manage to get some range time yesterday even with a bit of wind. Funny how the outdoor lanes at my nearest range are dead when it's cloudy, but once the sun hits, all the gun owners with their rifles, shotguns, and revolvers come out of the woodwork. Had three dudes on the 100-yard lanes shooting their bolt-actions, one dude on the 50-yard lane with his shorty revolver, and then a nice gentleman took the lane next to me with his Mossberg to shoot slugs. Good lord, that thing makes a big boom and that's not even with high power slugs (he was telling how the 1300 FPS Fiocchi slugs he brought are much more comfy to shoot vs 1900 FPS slugs). Made me want to buy slugs and take my Mossberg out for its first spin.

I zeroed my 10/22 without much problem, but I made the rookie mistake of switching to another brand of ammo in the middle, which meant doing the zero again. Not a big fan of Armscor .22lr, but it gets the job done. Once I did get a zero, the rifle is a tack driver. I was shooting at least 7 out of 10 rounds almost on top of each other at 50 yards, which was a huge surprise. I do have a big complaint and that's the trigger. My XD has a better trigger so now I'm researching a good one to buy.