I'm very fascinated, just not always very chatty. I really like what you're doing on your own, and haven't the slightest clue what to add.
While waiting for things to dry. It really is boring to watch. Thought I'd finish off the final detailing, the decals. Random text, logos, and gibberish that would be littered all over the helmet. Gives it that military vehicle feel that all Gundams have.
Here's the draft on Photoshop:
and a trip to Kinko's to have them printed on transparency sticker paper.
I spent a lot of time cramming as much as I could onto 2 letter sized papers. And it turned out it only costed me $2 a sheet! It's perfect. And it's super thin too, so I hope it will be able to bend over curved surfaces well. If not, I can always coax it with a heat gun! hehe
And went a little old school with the pencil/paper sketches.
Designing the torso. A little sneak peak at what I may work on after the helmet. Always thinking ahead!
The decals are looking great man. And the initial design for the torso is looking awesome. Can't wait to see the 1st few stages of it.
Back on the electric work. Had to figure out how I wanted the switches to turn on/off. And how to wire all of the fans and millions of LEDs.
Use my vice and alligator clip (held in place by a piece of placticine) to help me hold the wires so I can solder them together. Everything is multipurpose! hehe
Heat shrink wrapped the connections. Not necessary here. I just want to do it right.
I had to sample test the LEDs in the mohawk lens. Needed to know how many I would need to make this thing look cool.
Maybe just a few more.. hehe
Man, there's so much more electrical work to be done:
- the fans
- the machine guns
- V-fins (still waiting for more LEDs to come in the mail)
And all these needs to be hooked up with quick release connectors. For easy battery swap outs.
Last edited by Wiltonican; 03-11-2012 at 04:07 AM.
From the first half of the mold, I knew the second half would come apart without any difficulties.
Upon closer review, the details are horrendously inconsistent! It picked up some super fine lines here and there. BUT, leaving huge gaps and bubbles everywhere. I guess I could have spent some more time and care applying the first coat of silicone.
I've already gone this far, might as well go through with it and see how it fares at the resin stage. I attempted to fill in some of the bigger gaps. Then coated both halves with vaseline. Again, this is the releasing agent that will (hopefully) separate the resin from the silicone mold.
I should break here and explain what those channels are for. The ones I made a few posts back.
This diagram should explain it a bit better. Once the halves are together, it's difficult for me to make sure the resin gets into every corner. So, the channels are made to 'guide' the resin through. Essentially, making a one-way path for it to travel. The second channel (at the bottom) connects the two lens together. I'll cut it out when it's de-molded. The third channel, the one that's marked "Air out" is for.. well.. the air to escape. If i didn't have this outlet, the air would get trapped, the resin wouldn't be able to displace the air to fill the mold. It's also a good 'window' to use to see when the resin is filling the mold properly. When you see resin come through this hole, you know you're done.
Test casting next....
Used the box again for support. I can already feel how unstable the entire hold is at this point. So, I attempted to brace it a bit with some clay here and there.
The resin pour.
As expected, the resin leaked out of the sides. I doubt this silicone mold would have worked if I built a hard mother mold around it. It's just too flimsy. O well, I anticipate this wasn't going to work from the beginning. It was an experiment after all. Only thing I lost is a bit of time, and $3 for the tube of silicone. That's my price for education.
Now, I have to start again!
Never said it before, so I'll say it here. I really dislike hot glue. Not a whole lot of positives, but I can name quite a few negatives....
- takes time for the glue gun to warm up
- glue gun is awkward to use in tight spaces
- glue sticks always run out. all the time.
- those spiderweb-like strands with each use. And it's endless!! You just keep pulling and pulling
- not really a strong bond.
- dries cloudy
Obstacle: Here, I globbed some hot glue in the area where I was to place the fan. But, it rolled over into the fan blades!!!! UGH!!! Glued them down. I had to go back in, cutting and re-melting the hot glue to rip the fan unit out. Some more cutting and sanding got the blades free. Hot glue sucks.
Finally got the fan to work again! Wired up all the LEDs for the eyes too. Here, I'm testing out the switch for it too.
This week is going to be bit hard for me update this thread daily. I'll try though.
I have a few things to sort out both on this project and my life. Both are challenges. Of course, the latter being the bigger one.
Bring it on!