Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    You're free to do what you want, that was just my suggestion.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    You're free to do what you want, that was just my suggestion.
    haha.. yea.. I know, I think I'll go with 70% original SF design, and 30% custom. I want to go "Perfect Grade" and showcase a bit of inner skeleton and stuff. I think that would be fun to do. What really be cool is if I can make some of the gears, pistons, etc actually move and rotate and stuff underneath the armor. Maybe you can see it move between the armor plates.

Administrator
    I've always wanted to create my own Gundam using my favorite parts off others. If you can come up with a design that you like. Go for it. I've been kinda wanting to create a custom Suit using the Epyon and the Strike Freedom.

I'm Your Fan

Fans:

Now, to install the second fan. This one is in the back end of the "mohawk". Where all the hot air rises up and the fan will draw it outward.

A view through the tailpipe/thrusters

Mohawk Lens

Molding/Casting:

Putting in video cameras and integrating a sort of CCTV system into the helmet proved to be too expensive, I'll just make something fancy in its place. I'll leave that option open when I win the lottery. Then again, if I win the lottery, I'll build a full scale working Gundam!

Building the mold out of plasticine. Designed it with random shapes so it looks anime-ish/mechanical.

Built up walls for the pour

Here's a quick video of me mixing up the resin...

Give it a couple days to dry and harden up good. 90% of all the tiny bubbles will rise up to the surface and pop. (I had initially coaxed some of the bubbles out of the corners/cracks with a pin)

When hard, take the mold off, scraping out the plasticine out with sculpting tools or whatever is around the house (like an old toothbrush and thinner). Getting it out of every nook and cranny.
    Last edited by Wiltonican; February 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM.

Administrator
    That is going to look awesome man.

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    That is going to look awesome man.
    Thanks. I think the lens will add a nice touch to it all. At least, that's the hope.

Mohawk Lens (part 2)

Tinted it clear blue. Planning on putting some LEDs behind it to shine through. The light should refract around the odd shapes I made. Showing all the detail.

Made a little box to mount the LEDs ... whenever they come in the mail.

The test fit. Lookin good.

Administrator
    Looking better and better man. That camera lens really adds some extra detail to it. Looks awesome.

thanks. Man, my workspace is starting to get messy and crowded. Need to do a little house cleaning. I hate messy work environments.

Mascara

Face Detail:

Sitting there, looking at the face... I felt it needed a bit of make-up. A little something something to make her prettier for a fun night out. Bit more detail work.

Some paneling

Some Eyeliner

Obstacle/Challenge:
    What do I do for the eyes? I want something yellow, like the show. Preferably, something that can glow/light up. Has mechanical detail, like the mohawk lens. Can't be solid and the light can't be too bright as to blind me. And, most importantly, it MUST minimize my obstructed view! Solution: Yet to be figured out.

Suggestions for the eyes? Anyone?

Sorry, my mind's a blank.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Sorry, my mind's a blank.
    Lasers. Lasers is always a good default answer. haha

Ok.. put some thought into the eye/lens obstacle.

1) modify a pair of cheap sunglasses (the yellow reflective ones) - Gotta hunt for these. Not easy to find.
    2) modify a set of gold mirror smartphone screen protectors. - These are REALLY hard to find. Most vendors only carry the silver ones
    3) Yellow auto tint. (some are those cheesy mirrored ones too!) - Not easy to find either.
    4) Clear acrylic. Painted yellow clear. - Easy. I have the materials already. But, the end result may not be what I'm after.
    5) Do nothing. Leave blank holes - Easiest!
    6) Yellow tint a 2 way mirror. - I'm not sure how to go about this one. As I would need to light the front part of the mirror too to make the backside dark.
    7) Fabricate from scratch the lens. (Like the mohawk lens) - Hardest. Most work.

hmmm.... looking at the list. And knowing me (and if you had been following my thread.. you would know my answer too!)
    I already know which method I'd go for on this project.

* a friend suggested strapping 2 smartphones behind it! haha.. I can have goggly-eyes playing on them as movies. That'd be funny.