Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Anyone know of a good link/site that has some good decals/specs? (specifically Strike Freedom, of course) I can make my own... since , my Strike Freedom is sort of customized anyways. But, I'd like to start my base off of the original.

(Not looking to buy the actual decals. Just need the design, font, and whatever random letters/numbers. So higher the resolution ,the better. And AI files/vector files are the best!)

Administrator
    I have some high resolution scans from the PG Strike Freedom's manual that shows the location of the decals. I can send them to you via email if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    I have some high resolution scans from the PG Strike Freedom's manual that shows the location of the decals. I can send them to you via email if you'd like.
    Thanks! You have PM.

Devil's in the details

Satisfied with the retractable faceplate. I decided to get to work on some of the details.

Those tiny fins that jut upward on those "ears".. I might put lights on the tips of those. Just for fun.

There really is no reason why I can't simply paint this design onto the side there. It's not like it has a huge impact on the overall head. It'd be SO much easier if I did. BUT.... I'm not that kind of person. Especially for this project. I'm taking the hard way out on EVERY aspect of this build. I love to challenge myself. I have no one to prove but to myself.

Maybe I'm a closet sadist.

First Paint

Paint:

The paint scheme was something on my mind from the very beginning. I wanted to try something radical. Something cool. Something not done before. Then a friend said, "Go classic". I just sat there and agreed. It is the more recognizable scheme. No one would say, "Hey! look it's Optimus Prime!"

Wish Tamiya/Mr Hobby/etc came in large spray cans. Wish hobby paints were cheap. Then I thought, why would I need to?!? Classic Gundam is white, yellow, and red. That's it! Awesome. That only means a trip to Home Depot to pick up some cheap paints!! Starting out with (sandable) grey primer, flat black for all the insides, and flat white for the helmet. I only need a bit of red and yellow for the face and "horns"(aka V-fins). I may just use my hobby paints and airbrush with that.

Interior painted with flat black. (above pic is still wet) When it's dry, there is absolutely no shine. It gets REALLY dark in there now.

Face painted.

With the blade, I cut out the "nostrils" aka vent holes. I had purposely not reinforced the backside with fabric/resin, so I can cut into it easier.

More devils. In the details.

Machine Guns:

The machine guns were designed in Maya and eventually printed out from Pepakura. But, a quick glance at the insane work to make those out of paper... I said, "screw that!" I figured I can fabricate something from scratch much easier.

I had originally wanted to put actual video cameras into these spots. Then have these cameras hooked up to a pair of virtual glasses. That way I can see everything in front of me. Rather than the tiny eye holes in the face mask. Alas, that was a really expensive route. And my compromise was to just put LED lights in that location.

Picked up these cheapo LED flashlights from the dollar store! Clamped them down on my vise and sawed them in half with my trusty Dremel tool.

Now, it's the perfect size. Even has the placement of LEDs that makes it look like machine guns! Perfect. With 2 mounted on either side of the helmet, I'd get a great flood light in front of me. Perfect for night walks. If I had a dog, I'd TOTALLY walk it at night with the helmet on.

Dressing it up. Here I'm heating up a PVC pipe so I can wrap it around the "machine gun"

Voila. Randomly designed on the fly. Using whatever scraps I had in front of me.

Max Thrust

Thrusters:

Again, like the machine guns, this exhaust port/tailpipe was originally printed out from Pepakura. And eventually decided against the laborious work in folding the insane small triangles. Thinking a simple pipe would do the trick!

Borrrrringggggg

Sandwiched 3 pieces of plastic, beveled it, heated it up, curled it up...

A bit o slicin' and dicin'

No one would care how much work was involved in getting that subtle curve into those tiny pieces... but me. O.. and now you. haha

Most of these detail bits are designed on the fly and in my head. It's a hit or miss process.

Here, I thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I can design a cool afterburner looking plates?!?"
    Uh... looking at it completed.. it's a big no. No, it isn't cool.

I'm lame.

Anyone have any idea what the function of those forehead lights are on each Gundam? The square-ish box behind the V-fins.

forehead cameras
    check me out on tumblr!!
    http://dogblu.tumblr.com/

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by GNzaku0023 View Post
    forehead cameras
    In the show? Really? I never recalled their purpose.

Super Moderator
    Yeah, usually that's what they are said to be.

Also, I just don't even know how to respond to all the amazing-ness contained in this thread. I get on to check out how you are progressing and am just completely blown away every step of the way! This is truly genius work being done here and I personally thank you for letting us in on the process of such an ambitious and brilliant project. Thank you!
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

Administrator
    Yep forehead cameras. Same with the eyes of coarse. I'm loving the progress you're making. I can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the great work.

Administrator
    Many mobile suits are actually riddled with cameras all over. Ones with the panoramic cockpits at any rate.