Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Horns (continued)

All edges sanded down smooth. It's got a great solid feel to them now. Not worried about banging them around.

The solution for the 'break-away' horns.. so they don't actually BREAK. I think I'm going with rare-earth magnets. They're super strong and can easily hold the weight of each horn. (In the above picture) I've tested the magnets' strength. So far so good. If that isn't enough, I can always go with hook and loop (Velcro). Or maybe a combination of both. This is also a good idea for when it comes to storage.

From the paper template I printed out off of Pepakura, I cut more pieces from the plastic sheet. Gluing them together with plastic cement

The second pair of "horns" are basically glorified tetrahedrons. Throwing in a few details here and there. It'll be strong and lightweight.

"Horns" all cut and glued. Time to finish it off all the edges with a little modelling putty.

All edges sanded smooth. I left the 'end caps' open. Reason being I needed to figure out how to anchor each horn onto its base. If I were to simply just glue the cap on... it would be fine, if it was a model that I let sit on the shelf. But, this helmet needs to endure a lot of motion. The thin bead of glue would never hold its weight of the horns, it would tear it off the base pretty fast.

Looked around and found some scrap wood. This will give it a good anchor to the base. So, I plan on using resin to bind it all together. Drilling random holes into the wood to give the resin something to grab onto. A few screws would help this too. You can tell, I'm totally improvising now.

Backside of the entire assembly.

Inside, there are 2 black strips. These are metal plates. (Random junk I found around the house) These are glued down with superglue. Their purpose for which I may or may not use, is the contact points in which the magnets would attach themselves to the rest of the helmet. (the forehead)

- Metal plates (shown in light brown)
    - Paper towels (shown in green squiggly lines) - They fill the volume of space inside
    - Wood with screws (shown in grey) - The paper towels are soaked with resin and would 'grab' onto the wooden dowels and nails. Just randomly wrapping around them. Making sure the towels also touch all sides of the walls. Both unifying everything and giving it strength.

You can see the entry holes where I pour my resin into. Filling whatever space there is. This would give the proper solid feel to the entire assembly.

The "horns" are 90% done. Ready for some more details and then paint!

They're called V-fins. And wow, they look awesome. I have a friend whose making an F-91 cosplay outfit for when I go to Anime EXpo in June.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    They're called V-fins. And wow, they look awesome. I have a friend whose making an F-91 cosplay outfit for when I go to Anime EXpo in June.
    Ah.. haha.. thanks Zeta! V-fins it is then. If there was an cosplay or some Anime Expo around me, I'd go. Sounds fun.

Back to updatin!!

V-Fin final detailing

Cover up hole.

A little piece of detail. Paper template first, then plastic again. Love working with the plastic. Very easy to work with. Easy to cut, easy to sand, easy to glue. Awesome.

V-Fins glued and sanded! Ready for primer!
    I just ordered some LEDs. I might put some into these. Like right at the tips. I'm treating them like tall antennae towers with flashing beacon lights to warn planes not to crash into them. Well.. at my scale.. it's more of a warning for pigeons... or tall people.

Now to move on....
    Last edited by Wiltonican; February 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM.

Dude, those look awesome! I can't wait to see these things when they're painted.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Dude, those look awesome! I can't wait to see these things when they're painted.
    hehe.. you and me both. But, the road to that point is FAR away...

Breathe!

(I know these pics are out of order.. but, my thought process is still the same)

On the subject of ventilation, I was thinking where I should put my mini fans.

Since I cut out these side vents, I can place the fan units behind a screen inside the vents. Heck, I can even rig it so I showcase those running fans.

Even though these fans run super silent, having them an inch away from my ear can still be annoying. If it's not the fans' noise, then it's the air being pushed through that I will hear.

...Or I can place them behind the vent holes/nostrils. This would give me direct flow of fresh air. I think this route is best.

And to vent the hot air outward, I chose the most logical place. On the tail end of the "mohawk" piece.

Perfect. I think this is definitely the solution. The fan's size is perfect for that 'exhaust port'. I can dress up that detail accordingly now.

1/2 way there!

Got excited and duct taped all the pieces together to see what it would look like finished.

Taking a little moment to enjoy what I have done so far...

It looks like I'm almost done. But, I'm not even close to the finish line. There are a million things on my checklist to do still. So much more fabrication. A lot of obstacles to hurdle over.

Most likely I'll be going with the red, yellow, white paint scheme. But, if you guys have any suggestions on a good one, I might entertain it! Show me what you got!

If you're going to go with Strike Freedom, I recommend using this a template.
    Attached Images
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Yup. That's what I'm going for right now. Classic colors. (Head = red, white, yellow, black)

I thought the idea of using Ferrari Red/Red Crinkle finish (Ferrari engine red) would be cool. Treating the mobile suit as an exotic car.

Administrator
    Wow, progress looks awesome man. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the body parts.

Retractable face

Retractable face

Now that the 2 major pieces are assembled. I can tackle one of the biggest features on my costume. The retractable face. It looks like there is clearance. It'll be close. So, it's a green light for now.
    Time to move forward!

Obstacle: Well... I had a feeling about this one when I hung it to dry. The face dried too wide. Meaning the pivot points that I had made in Pepakura stage are too far apart and will not line up with the pivot points inside the helmet. Since I had reinforced it already, this thing will NOT bend. If I force it too hard, it will break.

Sooooo.. out comes the Dremel tool. Equiped with a mini cutting disc. The pivots gets chopped.

Now, I have make something in its place. Starting out with a block of hardwood.

Using Chicago screws to bolt the hinge joint together. The bracket is simple "All Round galvanized bracing" The holes are perfect size for the Chicago screws.

Retractable face (part 2)

The wood is screwed into the helmet from the bottom.

Done. Works like a charm.

Video of retractable face:
    http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=IMG_6016.mp4

Close-up of hinge:
    http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=IMG_6017.mp4
    Last edited by Wiltonican; February 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM.