Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

First gundam model tips

hello gundam lovers
    i am about to receive my first gunpla kit wich is the mg red frame astray ( for the people who has this kit, is it a good/dificult kit?)
    and i have some questions
    can anyone tell me whats the difference in and this
    both are from mr hobby and both are flat...?
    and also for the decals do i need to rub some substance on the plastic before applying them? (so it make it look like its painted on the plastic)
    if so wich one you use and is it good?
    thanks in advance!

Hello!

I'll try to answer as best I can. I'm just beginning with paints and topcoats and what not.

Mr Topcoat is acrylic based and Mr Super Clear is lacquer based. What that means is that Mr Topcoat can be put on top of any other type of paint without worry. you won't get the same quality of topcoat that you will with Mr Super Clear, but there's no problems using it. Mr Super Clear, if not used carefully, may damage acrylic paints, but gives a better looking coat.

You do not need any sort of solutions for the dry transfer decals that come with most gunpla kits. They don't look "painted on" at first, but after a clear or flat coat they look pretty good. If you're using water slides, you may want to look into some Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softener. The Mark Setter is like an adhesive that helps keep the water slide on the part, and the softener is used to make the decal conform to whatever shape the plastic is and also makes the water slide look more "painted on".

I am currently living in a room with a moose.
    Does any one know if the testors dullcoat works as a topcoat?

I know nothing of those topcoats, but I can tell you about the MG Red Frame. It's a really solid kit and has a lot of detail to it. Some of the mechanisms in the arms and legs can be a bit tricky, and trying to see where exactly all the polycaps go can be a pain (as every things red) but other than that it's pretty simple and you'll have no problems if you just follow the instructions.
    check me out on tumblr!!
    http://dogblu.tumblr.com/

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

@ om3rta
    thanks for the great info!
    so that means that mr super clear flat coat will have problems with a marker? (for the panel lines)

@GNzaku0023
    thanks! i think its one of the best looking kits out there lol

Markers aren't the best for panel lines anyways. Washing gives a much better result, and you can do the wash in whatever color you like. Dark colors similar to the MS's colors to give it a more realistic shaded look, or flat black to give it an anime look. Just my opinion, though. I have no experience with topcoats over Gundam Markers. They are lacquer based, though, so you shouldn't be able to hurt them with topcoats. Just make sure the marker has time to dry before you put on a topcoat.

Testors dull coat is a top coat. So that should be good to go.

I personally don't use decal setter, but I always use the softener.
    Until Next Time: Happy Building!
    -Joe
    Joe's Gunpla Blog
    My YouTube Channel
    Current Backlog: 189 kits
    Currently in progress: MG Nu Ver Ka, RG Justice, Other stuff...
    Recently Completed: MG Guntank.