Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: Things To Come

Administrator

Things To Come

Hey all,

So, I'm officially coming back under GSAM's payroll which means a few (hopefully) exciting things are going to start-up in the very near future.

I'm going to be doing the following:

1. Taking charge of all of GSAM's social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc) which means they WILL actually be posting / responding to Q's / etc

2. Taking a larger part in this forum. I want to get a great design going, do some Search Engine Optimization and start coordinating with you all to get some fun contests and games happening on here

3. I want to get some cool ideas going for Blog posts / Youtube Videos and any other media we can think of.

So....

I want to know what you all would like to see start happening around here. I know this forum hit a rough patch with the lack of new user registrations and the absence of our most frequent poster Zeta-G but I want to see what we can do to get this community back on track.

Thoughts?

-m1ck3y

Super Moderator
    Love the idea for a regularly updating Facebook/Twitter feed.

I would be more than happy to help use my YouTube page as a vehicle for the forums. I've plugged it a few times in the past (when new recruits were able to join).
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

sounds cool man

on http://gundam-eclipse.com/index/ if anyone needs or wants to talk.

Zeta-G
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ck3y View Post
    Hey all,

So, I'm officially coming back under GSAM's payroll which means a few (hopefully) exciting things are going to start-up in the very near future.

I'm going to be doing the following:

1. Taking charge of all of GSAM's social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc) which means they WILL actually be posting / responding to Q's / etc

2. Taking a larger part in this forum. I want to get a great design going, do some Search Engine Optimization and start coordinating with you all to get some fun contests and games happening on here

3. I want to get some cool ideas going for Blog posts / Youtube Videos and any other media we can think of.

So....

I want to know what you all would like to see start happening around here. I know this forum hit a rough patch with the lack of new user registrations and the absence of our most frequent poster Zeta-G but I want to see what we can do to get this community back on track.

Thoughts?

-m1ck3y
    I'm still being mentioned a month after I left? How odd.

The low recruitment might have something to do with the fact that the monotheistic types (and the official policy of the GSAM overlords) created a hostile, unwelcoming environment for atheists and polytheists; most of us non-monotheists (myself excluded) prefer to simply avoid areas/discussions wherein monotheists inject their beliefs into topics wholly unrelated to their religion, rather than get into pointless shouting matches/flame wars (religion is not based in rational thought and believers tend to get irrationally fired up whenever their beliefs are called into question or put under examination; these factors automatically doom any further discussion). My point is simple: the English-speaking Gundam fandom is small enough as it is (and is plagued by more than enough Gundam-related factionalism already [i.e. Wing is the only true Gundam!, etc.]), so GSAM permitting a further divider, religion (a topic that cannot be discussed without offending someone), was simply a foolish decision. Most other fan forums (especially those in niche fields) are smart enough to outright ban religious and political comments. This poor decision on GSAM's part caused the forum to lose a moderator (who also happened to be the most frequent poster, as you yourself have pointed out), an infrequent poster (who had been considering purchasing from their store, until this debacle occurred), and who knows how many others as the result of a pissing match over religion. All because they refused to limit the discussion contained within a toys and anime discussion forum to toys and anime. Yes, the whole situation still pisses me off. But I'll tell you this: fix the broken policy and the forum's most active former member would be willing to return (and possibly convince another former member to return as well), and, in addition, you'll make the forum more hospitable to new members.

Also the new look is too bright. I liked the white on black look of the previous style more. It was easier on the eyes and the batteries.

P.S. In case any of you are wondering why I've posted a month after saying my goodbyes, it's really quite simple: I heard through the grapevine that my name was still being brought up here, so I came to make sure that it wasn't being slandered; I found this post in the process and couldn't resist the urge to reply.

Super Moderator
    I'd like to see the current "Deal of the Week" updated on the Facebook page/Twitter feed. I think that would be a simple way to start easing back into those areas (would be nice if the DOTW actually changed every week, but whatever). At the other, more ambitious end of the spectrum, I'd like to listen to/participate in a GSAM or gundamforums podcast. I know there are a few out there that deal with Gundam, Gunpla and anime stuff, but some of our topics on this forums have generated great dialogue that haven't been discussed elsewhere and would work great in a podcast form. The logistics of it may not work out, but it's an idea (albeit not a super original one, esp. with RX-0 radio already being tried with some of our beloved members). I still think a group build would be nice, too. Maybe do one and throw some pics up on GSAM's site with our kits from an agreed upon theme in the "Customer Spotlight" section of the site (it could use some new love).
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

I like all of those ideas squeam and I agree with you on all of those. I think it would rock to see a group build posted on GSAM's website.
    Last edited by Kamari13; May 29, 2011 at 2:40 AM.

on http://gundam-eclipse.com/index/ if anyone needs or wants to talk.

Administrator
    Those sound awesome squeam! Thanks. I'm going to print this out and take it directly to GSAM. The Deal of the week updates will definitely happen. If we did a podcast I think we'd definitely have to rely on user submissions but if you think this is possible / if people are already doing something like this maybe we could do it together. I also love the group build idea, I'll put up a thread for that as soon as I get my feet wet with all of this and see what we can put together. Thanks for your ideas!

Administrator
    Zeta-G, working on it now! I temporarily extended the amount of PM's you're allowed to have. This is the first thing that it seems phpBB handled better. I'll update here when it's fixed.

Zeta-G
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ck3y View Post
    Zeta-G, working on it now! I temporarily extended the amount of PM's you're allowed to have. This is the first thing that it seems phpBB handled better. I'll update here when it's fixed.
    Thanks for the quick response.