Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Highlighting and Panel lining a model?

So I recently bought a Gundam Marker for panel lining and just waiting for it to arrive. I plan to completely paint my Tieren. I'm used to highlighting models rather then panel lining.

So what I'm trying to get at is that from what I can tell panel lining helps show depth and make parts of the model stand out. Highlighting does a similar effect, but instead of hitting up the recesses you touch up on the highest point to create depth(just using a slightly brighter color).

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried both techniques on a single model, and how did it turn out?

If you havent tried it how do you think it would look?

I'm going to try it within a few weeks but I just was wondering if anybody here has tried it yet.
    Grunt Mobile Suits FTW!

Super Moderator
    I've never highlighted before but it's worth a shot. I dunno if anyone here has done both though.
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

I am currently living in a room with a moose.
    I would like to see one of these highlighted models!

I'll try to get the Tieren painted up within the next couple of weeks, gotta wait for winter break. I'll try out both techniques on the model and see how it turns out.
    Grunt Mobile Suits FTW!

Administrator
    I havn't tried both techniques, but I have done some panel lining. I lined my new MG Strike Freedom and it looks amazing compared to my older kits. It truly adds much more detail and depth to your kits. I hope your Tieren turns out good. Hope to see some pics.

I remember highlighting gundam kits back in the 90's.
    It was the fad when the Gundam X kits were out, almost everyone was doing it to accentuate the panel lines.

If my memory serves me correctly, since usually the high light paint and the regular black paint are usually the same type of paint, just to be on the safe side, i recommend first using the black pen first for the panel line, then coat it with a thin coat of future floor wax, or some top coat, then apply the lighter color highlight so that if you make a mistake, you only work with one layer. If you did both at once, you have to do both techniques again.

just my thoughts.