Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Zeta-G

Re: Movies

Is anybody else a fan of daikaiju (giant monster) movies? This would include movies such as "Godzilla"/"Gojira", "Gamera", "Mothra", "War of the Gargantuans", etc.

I highly recommend that everyone, daikaiju fan or not, see the original version of "Gojira" (The version without Raymond Burr) in all of its subtitled glory. Unlike the Godzilla movies of the 60's and 70's (and, to a lesser extant, unlike the one from the 80's on), the original "Gojira" ("Godzilla") has a lot more going for it than the simple amusement of men in rubber suits destroying model cities, while wrestling with each other. Akira Ifukube's legendary score is one of the most recognizable soundtracks in film and ranges from the propagandistic Japanese Army theme to the more somber Godzilla theme. "Gojira" is full of references to events of the time, including: the (then recent) tragedy of the Lucky Dragon fishing boat getting accidentally caught in American nuclear tests, the recently demilitarized Japan was also given a situation in which it could have a strong army, and the movie even captures/caricatures the typical attitude of postwar conservatives in the Japanese parliament (deny, deny, deny). The character of Dr. Serizawa, and his struggle to ensure that his discovery, the oxygen destroyer (a weapon far more devastating than nuclear weapons), remains a secret and is never to be used by ANY military, including Japan's; this is in contrast to Americans deliberately using nuclear bombs on Japan. The monster, himself (Gojira), is of course a living representation of nuclear weapons, and Director Ishir? Honda's expertly crafted scenes of the survivors of Gojira's devastating attacks could be mistaken for video footage of the survivors of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (which had occurred less than a decade prior to the release of the film). Many Japanese theater owners at the time reported widespread crying among theater goers following the conclusion of the film. The film is moving, in a way that no other daikaiju film is. Make no mistake, "Gojira" is one of the all time greats of cinema, regardless of genre. Put simply, it is a cinematic masterpiece.

The movie did so well subtitled in American Japanese theaters, that it was eventually licensed and brought over after heavy editing (approximately 1/3-1/2 of the original film, mostly the anti-American and deeper content, was cut out and replaced by inferior, American made footage, which turned the film classic "Gojira" into a regular monster b-movie); "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" (the bastardized version of "Gojira" released in America and elsewhere) is a very different movie from "Gojira" in many respects. Nevertheless, the existence of "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" made "Gorjira" into one of the oldest examples of a non-American film (and, quite possibly, THE oldest Japanese film) to find worldwide success. It would take 50 years until the unedited, Raymond Burr-less, original version of "Gojira" was made available to own in North America.

There have been a total of 28 Japanese made Godzilla films and 1 American Zilla/GINO (Godzilla In Name Only) movie, while another, unrelated, American made Godzilla film is due in 2012 (with both a Godzilla that looks and acts like Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Hedorah's director as a creative consultant) and (assuming Toho doesn't change its plans) an additional Japanese made film is due for his 60th anniversary in 2014 (Godzilla is the longest running film series to date; no, movies with endless remakes, such as King Kong, do not count; James Bond is the second longest film series, to the best of my knowledge). The later Godzilla/Gojira movies are popcorn flicks for the most part, ranging from truly horrible crap aimed solely at children (*ahem* Godzilla's Revenge) to decent kids' movies ("Son of Godzilla", "Destroy All Monsters") to entertaining sci-fi films appealing to young and old alike (the Heisei series which ran from 1984's "Return of Godzilla" [edited/butchered into "Godzilla 1985" for its American release] to 1995's "Godzilla vs Destroyah") to great movies, which are not quite "Gojira" great (2001's "Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah"). Basically, what I'm getting at is that somewhere in Godzilla's collection of films is something for everyone. My advice: start with the original "Gojira". I've shown it to people who normally NEVER watch monster movies (or even sci-fi in general), and they've even said they thought it was a brilliant movie.

Again, "Gojira" = 5 Zakus/A+/5 stars/10.0/two thumbs up (pick your preferred rating system). The original, unedited "Gojira" is now available on both DVD and Blu-Ray in North America.
    Amazon link to original Gojira: http://www.amazon.com/Gojira-Blu-ray...3021549&sr=8-8
    It's also available for purchase/to rent from the US iTunes store.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; July 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Added movie thread rating system rating

Super Moderator

I myself haven't really watched anything other than the remade godzilla they did in 2000 or so, but I know my dad has seen and probably owns a lot of the older ones. I'll look into it.

Just recently watched:
    Sucker Punch
    Insidious

Friggin love Sucker Punch. Soundtrack is intense, movie was phenomenal. Wonderful concept behind Baby doll's imagination and reality. Beginning was very, VERY powerful.

Insidious, starts off cheesy, gets progressively better. Was a legitimate scary movie, but was not what I was wanting it to be. I wanted it to be the first scary movie that I watched that actually prevented me from sleeping. Last one that did was IT, but I was far younger anyways.
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

love love love Godzilla and Mothra

on http://gundam-eclipse.com/index/ if anyone needs or wants to talk.

Zeta-G

Quote Originally Posted by Kamari13
    love love love Godzilla and Mothra
    Any particular movies?

Guys, go watch marble hornets on youtube. Seriously, it's scary as anything. 39 episodes so far. Start with the intro, and then work your way up.

BE ADVISED

Do not do the following while watching marble hornets:
    Watch at any late point of the night/while there is no sun
    watch in a dark room
    watch in a dark closet
    watch upside down
    or any combination of the above.

Slenderman is watching.... (X)
    check me out on tumblr!!
    http://dogblu.tumblr.com/

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GNzaku0023
    Guys, go watch marble hornets on youtube. Seriously, it's scary as anything. 39 episodes so far. Start with the intro, and then work your way up.

BE ADVISED

Do not do the following while watching marble hornets:
    Watch at any late point of the night/while there is no sun
    watch in a dark room
    watch in a dark closet
    watch upside down
    or any combination of the above.

Slenderman is watching.... (X)
    God you are so dumb.

That slenderman bit is so old and over.

Saw Transformers 3 at the midnight release last night. So much win it wasn't even funny.
    check me out on tumblr!!

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

Super Moderator
    Can't wait til Saturday and I get my fix of giant robots on the big screen!
    ON TWITTER @TimberNewtype

"Through destruction, new destruction begins"

Did the third one make up for the second one? Also I heard Unicron is in it, is true?
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Thinking about seeing it either later on today or tomorrow. Someone on 4chan said that this one makes you forget about the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Did the third one make up for the second one? Also I heard Unicron is in it, is true?
    Unicron is not in it. However, this more than makes up for the second one. It was pretty brutal too I have to say. I wouldn't recommend taking a small child to see it. (But yeah, it's awesome)
    check me out on tumblr!!

Administrator
    Finally saw Green Lantern today. The changes they made kind of irked me, being a big GL fan, but I understand why they did some of it.
    Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely want to see what they have coming next.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk View Post
    finally saw green lantern today. The changes they made kind of irked me, being a big gl fan, but i understand why they did some of it.
    Either way, i thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely want to see what they have coming next.
    captain goddamm america is coming next

Just got back form seeing Transformers 3. They might as well just rename it "Holy Crap: The Movie". I mean.....holy crap. The best of the 3 imo. Two and a half hours of giant robots doing giant robot things.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    They might as well just rename it "Holy Crap: The Movie". I mean.....holy crap.
    Best...Review...Ever...