Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111656106 ... LastLast
    Bob Ong is a local author. It was just a screen name though. It was derived from "Bobong Pilipino." His works were mainly satire that depicts the everday life of an ordinary Filipino. Can you withstand reading eBooks, or you prefer reading printed materials more? I guess I still have some Bob Ong ebooks in my archives. I could send them to you if you want.

Well, no one forced me to read romantic novels. Despite loathing female authors who loves creating unrealistic and unrelatable male leads, I don't know why sometimes I wanted myself pissed off for my own amusement after reading some serious heavy novels.

Good looking male in his late 20's, CEO of a company, who is good in everything, sports, arts, knowledgable at almost anything, with a dark and painful past - Gary Stu.

While there's a real average man in his late 20's, sitting in the front of a company-provided laptop, working for a software database company, who loves watching Gundam and other anime. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by extend View Post
    While there's a real average man in his late 20's, sitting in the front of a company-provided laptop, working for a software database company, who loves watching Gundam and other anime. LOL
    C'mon bro, you're better than that Batman wannabe punk Gary Stu. LOL

@extend, I do all of my reading from my humble GS4 so I got no problem reading ebooks. If you do have some of his work that you can send, that would be very much appreciated

And this Gary Stu person reminds of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He's got it all including a penchant for murder and torture, haha.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

@Dlinker
    OK then. Just PM me and I'll send you those Bob Ong PDFs.

@Voltes
    Of course I'm better than him. He's not real! LOL

Now that you guys mentioned it, is Bruce Wayne a type of a Gary Stu character?

A Gary Stu character is a male lead where obviously is the most favorite character of the author in his/her own work. He's often characterized as handsome, rich, perfect, skilled, talented, or everything he does is seemingly right. It does not mean that he's supposed to have all that kinds of characteristics. Maybe a mix of it. He was created for the satisfaction of the author. Most of the time, he is accompanied by a female version of him - Mary Sue.

I have identified some male leads to be such a character. Obviously, I'll start with Gundam.

1. Kira Yamato (Gundam Seed/Destiny)
    2. Christian Grey (50 Shades of Grey)
    3. Connor Reeds (Waking Up Married)
    4. Edward Cullen (Twilight)

I'm noticing some pattern. Were they all created by female authors/writers?

Hmmm, isn't a key factor of a Gary Stu character that they have little to no weaknesses or at least no significant weaknesses? Bruce Wayne should fit in it, but he's got some psychological issues and because he's a superhero character, it makes sense for him to be nearly perfect. Same goes for Patrick Bateman too, thanks to him being a murderer. Both of these characters were created by male authors so they don't fit a pattern.

Kira was created by a male as well and his desire for a simple life despite having uber skills kinda puts him just outside of that character type. The other three characters you mentioned I never heard of, haha.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Ever since this forum got shut down, I've watched the following anime shows :

Fist of the Blue Sky
    Finished Daitarn 3
    Space Runaway Ideon

Once I am done rewatching Cowboy Bebop, I'll spend some time on Getter Robo.
    Anime is for kids

Administrator
    I have discovered that Netflix has numerous seasons of Digimon on it. Needless to say, I have found what I'll be watching for awhile.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

I'm going back and watching Exosquad again, I miss that show and it was so good

I started watching Infinite Stratos based on the suggestion from the "I'm speechless" thread. Its a generic yet amusing anime as long as you don't think to hard. I'm enjoying it because I've had my fill of serious animes for a little while and I need some brainless fun. Lots of fan service and cheap laughs, but thats not a complaint because this anime knows it and isn't trying to be something it ain't

For anyone who doesn't mind magic mixed with their mecha, with a good dash of science, check out Asura Cryin sometime.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I finished watching IS last night, not bad as long as you don't take it serious, rather funny really. I'm going to start watching Vandread, I remember it being a pretty decent anime but that was like 7 or 8 years ago.

Finished Forge of God (sci-fi novel) yesterday and wow, what an emotional ending. The setup was very similar to Andromeda Strain with enough actual science thrown at you to make it a very possible situation, then the ending straight-up hits you in the gut with a certain conveyance and feel that makes you think of a combination of the most powerful films from Ridley Scott and Spielberg mixed with Michael Bay's outrageous use of special effects/explosions. Here's to hoping the sequel at least matches it.

Nikita is back. For 6 episodes only. Breaks my heart.

What am I currently watching?

I've never seen this series before... so time to watch it.
    Attached Images

You may be in for a treat, you may be in for disappointment. Wing, while one of the highest rated Gundam shows for US fans, loses something as people get older. Here's hoping you enjoy it. And all the while remember this, and laugh, the guy who did Heero's voice in english didn't want to be type cast after wing, so he went on to obscurity, voicing Ken in Barbie movies HAHAHAHA!
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?