Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I spend more time reading webcomics than any physical books nowadays. Update schedules can be touch and go, but the ones who do it right do it better than a lot of the pros, who get hamstrung by editors and movie versions of the books.

Administrator
    I hear you, man. My webcomic folder has 28 entries (yours included, now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
    I hear you, man. My webcomic folder has 28 entries (yours included, now.)
    Thanks, Asterisk - glad you like it.

As the son of a father that collected comics in the '60s and '70s, my loyalties lie to both companies. Both produce equally good comics. While some do have flaws, I like both for the stories they put out. Also, I've met Stan Lee in person. He's awesome and chill, nuff said.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure"
    - TOM 2

Since this is a thread about comics, which characters form the DC/Marvel Universes do you guys like?

DC: Batman...nuff said lol

Marvel: Wolverine (just cuz lol), Blade, Ghost Rider (the only reason id watch the movie is because the helicopter pilot was Richard Ian Cox...but it was still a good movie lol), Iron man, Captain America, and the Incredible Hulk.

I prefer DC even though they hit the reset button every now and then. I haven't read much but the Kingdom Come series was pretty rad, especially the art. I've also read a good chunk of Red Robin and some Green Lantern stuff.

Also, here is a really cool motion comic about the death of Spider-Man (the one from the Ultimate universe): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXxmaJ_cV8
    So A Baoa Qu basically involved a bunch of Jims taking on John's Zacks and Dons. IN SPACE.

I read a ton of comics and I'm not partial to either company. I read more DC comics than Marvel but I love the Marvel comics I read just as much as the DC stuff.
    Apologies if someone else is using this image too

Because Marvel can't help but do stupid things in their actual comic books: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/...ers-new-look-2
    SIEG ZEON!

The day that Hajime Katoki stops mutilating other artists' designs cannot come soon enough.

I didn't even know there was a thread like this until ZG revived it!

Okay, DC comics. Now I love Marvel comics too, but only the older characters you know growing up, not the newer, crappy characters created for the purpose of making different spinoff books. These characters I like are the ones created by Stan Lee with Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko.

Reasons:

DC are older, thus their characters are more original and make a lot more sense than Marvel's newer characters, like... that stupid waste of ink, Deadpool.

DC comics are easier to get into. You can read any book now and get into it. Marvel is the opposite. You need to go through over 10 years of books to understand what's going on if you WANT to get into it, otherwise you'll be lost.

Less annoying characters that spout nonse... like an amazing character such as Deathstroke to a moron like Deadpool.

How Marvel can improve:

Focus on selling books starring their iconic characters. These include: The Fantastic Four, The original X-Men (Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel and maybe Rachel Gray), the Uncanny X-Men (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc), Spiderman (Naturally), Daredevil, and obviously The Avengers. Avengers should get two books, one for a joint story, and one anthology book focusing on different members.

My reason for this is simple. Once a character is an Avenger, there is half interest on his respective book. An example would be Hawkeye and Mockingbird, which was just silly. Iron Man and Captain America are still okay to have their own titles. Iron Man focuses on Tony's daily life as head of a company and Captain America focuses on Steve's past as a WWII veteran.

I feel that Secret Avengers and Avengers Academy should be desolved. These books only exist because the main Avengers team has grown way too large for it's own good. New Avengers is alright, but they should go back to the book being based on the New Avengers, such as Luke Cage, Spiderman, Wolverine, and newer members such as Daredevil and Thing. These characters also appear in the main Avengers book, and it's kind of confusing, to be honest.

Completely do away with these stupid maxi-series books, like FF, and the several thousand X-Men spinoff books.

Do a semi-reboot like DC, focus on the iconic characters with updated origins.

Kill Deadpool in lava.

Relinquish your rights to Star Wars.

Kill Deadpool. Somehow, just make it painful and satisfactory.

It's funny, everything Shin suggested to make Marvel "better" would turn it into the biggest pile of sh*t in my opinion. Frankly, from what I've been paying attention too the only issues with the X books is the fact that Wolverine is more or less the #1 guy, which is BS.

Frankly, DC sucks. Every time they back themselves into a corner they "Infinity Something" and reboot the entire universe so they can do revamped stories from the golden and silver age with a modern twist. They have no respect for their own history, the only thing DC has that's worth anything is their animation studio.

And you know Deadpool was created as a Deathstroke parody. In fact the guy who created DP (that's Deadpool, not double penetration) got hired by DC to fix all the problems they made with Deathstroke.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

My Gundam Pictures
    Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

*sniff* You put a hole in my heart, Exia... but I can respect that.

It's just... Deadpool... I'm aware of his creation, and that's exactly why I dislike him. He's become more than a parody. He mocks the name of Deathstroke and has become one of Marvel's biggest names. Deadpool completely appeals to the internet age of comic book readers. He gained popularity on the internet, and he uses a lot of internet and popular culture references so he will garner attention from new, younger fans. He is absolutely not funny.

What I'm trying to say is, the "parody" of Deathstroke has gone on for too long. Deadpool is not only a disgrace to DC's Deathstroke, but the wide list of Marvel characters which he doesn't pay tribute to, but mocks.

I suppose one thing he has in common with Deathstroke that he doesn't mock is the fact that he won't hesitate to murder any person in cold blood. Deadpool however will do this for ANY apparent reason, while Deathstroke would always have a motive behind his killings.

I'm not the biggest Marvel fan anymore, but Deadpool is awesome. Leave him alone. As for his "creator", Rob Liefeld is an idiot. He just ripped off Deathstroke's look and wanted to rip off his personality too; he still whines about Deadpool not being a total Deathstroke ripoff to this day. It was the writers who made Deadpool into the lovable parody that he is.

As for Marvel and DC, there's a different approach. Marvel does more flawed, everyday heroes (Spider-man is the classic example), while DC tends to go for more inspirational, better-than-the-average-man-type heroes (Superman is the best example of this). Both have their places, and both companies have characters that seem like they were made by the other.

The problem is DC has all of the writers these days. That or the Joe Quesada-Brian Michael Bendis Axis of Evil is suppressing the talent of Marvel's good writers. Seriously those two idiots and their cronies need to be removed for Marvel's own good.
    SIEG ZEON!

The day that Hajime Katoki stops mutilating other artists' designs cannot come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    I'm not the biggest Marvel fan anymore, but Deadpool is awesome. Leave him alone. As for his "creator", Rob Liefeld is an idiot. He just ripped off Deathstroke's look and wanted to rip off his personality too; he still whines about Deadpool not being a total Deathstroke ripoff to this day. It was the writers who made Deadpool into the lovable parody that he is.

As for Marvel and DC, there's a different approach. Marvel does more flawed, everyday heroes (Spider-man is the classic example), while DC tends to go for more inspirational, better-than-the-average-man-type heroes (Superman is the best example of this). Both have their places, and both companies have characters that seem like they were made by the other.

The problem is DC has all of the writers these days. That or the Joe Quesada-Brian Michael Bendis Axis of Evil is suppressing the talent of Marvel's good writers. Seriously those two idiots and their cronies need to be removed for Marvel's own good.
    Okay fine. *hides in a corner and scribbles on some deadpool images*

I agree with their writers though. They need to focus on a good solid story rather than pushing out so many books.

Also that AR app, I never tried it out, but it doesn't substitute for bad writing, as cool as that app might be.

I more inclined to choose Marvel over DC. As Zeta-G pointed out, the more flawed and everyday heroes appeal to me. I have stopped reading comics though. I only read manga now.