Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142 LastLast

Re: New to Gunpla? This thread will answer your questions. Ask here, and not a new th

I mean, in Broad Strokes, a lot of the techniques are the same. Like dry brushing, priming, picking out details, and washes, all of these are basically the same. The Gundam kits are just a slightly larger canvas, as it were.

Re: New to Gunpla? This thread will answer your questions. Ask here, and not a new th

Quote Originally Posted by ScornMandark View Post
    I mean, in Broad Strokes, a lot of the techniques are the same. Like dry brushing, priming, picking out details, and washes, all of these are basically the same. The Gundam kits are just a slightly larger canvas, as it were.
    There's a lot more flat space on Gundam models, so it makes shading a bit more difficult. You can't just shade an entire model (unless you're looking for some tough weathering). But, I see Gundam models with all those sharp edges just screaming for Edge Highlighting. Dry brushing can help with some of the highlighting on the endoskeleton. But, as far as shading goes, it seems that it needs to be far more precise than you do with Warhammer models. Plus, I'm trying to work out in my head how to glue all of the non-posable parts together. Not really possible to do before painting as it may be very tough to impossible to mask off the exact area you need. But, using plastic glue to glue the pieces together after priming and painting makes a mess out of the paint job you've just worked so hard on. Yes, superglue works, but it doesn't work as well as plastic glue and can be very messy to work with.

This is where a lot of my hesitation is coming from... finding a good place to start.

SG

Hence the broad strokes I think a lot of Gundam shading tends to happen with airbrushes, either pre- or post-shading. I haven't had a lot of trouble masking as long as I stick to panel lines - a wash in the crevasses hides a lot of sins (and if there's no panel where you want to mask off, you can scribe new ones)

I'd really recommend FichtenFoo's tutorials - he's got some really amazing work, and his approach to the basics is pretty easy to get started with: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/how-to-bu...grade-gundams/

^ Another great place to start is here, too: http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide
    Current Gunpla Projects: Launcher/Sword Strike updated 5/13/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/45905-XXXG-01H-s-Works-In-Progress

Finished Builds updated 5/12/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...Finished-Works

Next Gunpla Project: ?

"Is that a dick knife? All of my wut" - Zaku

Good Morning....As I'm absolutely new to gunpla have assembled three kits....2 X..SD...1 ..HG 1/144
    PAINTING... Do you do individual parts cut from the sprues tree runners.....or part assemblies [Sub] or complete kit before painting

Have Military modelling experience....but this is a different concept in that respect..........like you use my airbrush......fine detailing by brush......How do you finish the paint work What type of varnish matt or gloss.....thanks for your pointers help advice and steering in the right direction mike

#I use Acrylics......Gloss when need in kit plan...Sanding....Sanding Stick....Polishing sticks.....800-1000 Wet and Dry paper
    Paints I use Valletjo Air....Tamiya or Humbrol.....normally thinned with Alcohol....

Greetings all. Brand new to the hobby and modeling in general. I really know nothing about Gundam other than I always thought it looked cool but never got into like I did with Robotech when I was a kid. Just looking for something my young son and I can do together that will challenge him a bit but at the same time isn't mind numbing for me to do and we found Gunpla! So far we've built a 1/144 Grimgirde, a mini Gogg and a mini Gundam X. I have in the box still a Strike Freedom 1/144 that I'm waiting for the boy to build up some atta-boy's before I break out - man this thing looks awesome he might get it early! I had a few too many drinks the other night and a credit on Amazon, which is probably a really bad combo in this hobby, and have all in HG 1/144 on the way: Gusion, IBO Hugo, Quebely and Hyakuri. I like my mobile suits to look different!

At any rate, seems my Sundays are booked for a while but how much will come down to detail. I understanding panel lining and am fairly decent at noob status filing/sanding with various grain levels. So creating seamless pieces is something I am going to go for with the next model we put together. Painting seems... unnecessary as of now - the reality is for the foreseeable future I'm messing with 1/144 HG quality Gundams and man they look freakin cool and colorful already - but airbrushing looks pretty damn legit. At the very least I can start with a simple pen set and q-tips I imagine and go from there but I don't think I need to worry about that yet. Finishing coat is something I want to try on the next adventure. How to decide on flat, glossy or the combo spray?

One detail that bakes my noodle are the metal add on pieces that don't come with the set. The little metal rings and screws that make your mobile suit look all mechy. Little metal pipes, thrusters and fittings, things of this nature. Yeah I saw some of those damn Gunpla world competition youtube videos and that is like little crack balls rolled in oxy dust for an aspiring try-hard. Does it even make sense to do that on the size models I've got or is that something you'd do on the 1/100 sizes and up? Where can I reliably buy these that isn't a throne in my side to get? Some of the links in past posts on this thread are broken. I imagine 1 size (think screw caps for chest armor? if that's the correct term) fits all for the individual sizes 1/144 or 1/100 ect right? Is there an official size chart for these pieces? At any rate, these are all the scrubbie little noobster questions I've got for everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and/or reply.

Cheers!

Is the price of metal builds, specially SF & 00 raiser wont go down 300 to 200 usd now a days? The price on amazon is near 500 usd and its way to expensive. Maybe re-stocking will low down the price at least someday. Is it ok to buy today or wait 2 to 3 yrs maybe the price will go down.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant decide what to pick. PG or MB. From watching many reviews I found that, PG is having trouble standing most of the reason is its back pack but I found PG more noticeable compare to mb maybe bcos of its size and plastic quality, also if I look at metal build several meters away, I barely see its details despite its high quality.

A bit about myself and first project

Hi, I'm Adrian Guardia, I've known about Gundam Models since I was in sixth grade. My first model was from Gundam X. The first American model was Wing Zero. I basically build anything that looks cool. But with Gundam Models practically stopped being shipped in American Stores, there was a large lull of Gundam building. Then when I saw some Gundam Models at Barnes and Noble, I got back into building them.

Now however, Barnes & Noble focuses on selling Dragon Ball Z and Star Wars Models (neither of which I'm a fan of), and Gundam Models they sell online are those that I already have, or don't wish to collect. I try to aim for MG models, unless the particular models are only for HG, like the Build Fighter models.

Now I have have done some custom models (of legos), but I want to work on a few projects that focus on combining at least two different models. My first one is called Project Einhander, and the inspiration does come from the same name and ideas as from the Squaresoft (now Square Enix) game Einhander. I'm thinking of combining the body of the HG Sinanju with the HG Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt. But I'd like to know if I can place the backpack of the Full Armor with the body of the Sinanju. Does it have the right plugs to work together, or do they not work together?

Please let me know, because if it doesn't then I will save my money for another project.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: A bit about myself and first project

Look on dalong.net

I'm looking at the website you provided, but what am I supposed to look at?

Click on the hg on the top of the page. If you click English menu on the left it will translate Korean to English. The click on the hg sinanja and full armor Gundam names and it will bring up images of the manuals and parts for the kits.

Okay, I think I know what you are trying to say, but I still must ask the question: Are these parts compatible with one another? Right now I'm starting to think that they aren't able to go together, but someone else might say that it is possible.

Probably not. If you look at the photos you should be able to tell.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. But I'm not going to give up yet.

I noticed there was a tab underneath the pegs. If I were to cut that off, would it fit on the Sinanju then? And if not, can you recommend a way for me to attach the Full Armor Backpack onto the Sinanju? Of if it absolutely will not work on it, can you recommend a different Zeon-like Mobile Suit to attach the backpack to?

You could get something like the bolen arms pack and build a custom connection

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk