Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Not really sure what the letters mean. But the numbers means the grit amount. The lower the number, the more coarse the paper is. As for the auto store, I believe it was 1500 grit that was mentioned. Which would be a very fine almost smooth feeling sandpaper.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

You can get grits ranging from 400 to 3000 at an auto store so your choices are many. I tend to buy 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit at an auto store so those may be good starting points.

What brand of sandpaper were you seeing there? I always buy the 3M brand and I'm not seeing any letters after the grit numbers in my pack of 1000-grit sandpaper.

I was looking at O-Reilly's website. Should I look for regular sandpaper? I've seen sandpaper with cloth backing and whatnot. Will those work too?
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

As long as the grit matches what you're looking for, then yeah, it should be fine. Regular sandpaper works too if that's all you can find, or even a sanding sponge.

Ok, so I went to O'Reilly's and picked up some 3000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I was looking them over, when I found out that the 3000 grit sandpaper HAD to be used with water! (That's what it said, anyway) It has a foam backing, but should I only get the thing damp, or soaked? Thanks! This is the item that I am talking about: http://3mcollision.com/products/feat...rit-03064.html

Ah, they're actually referring to wet sanding, which you can do with almost any kind of sandpaper. Personally, I've never dampened the sandpaper itself, but instead I spray the surface with a bit of water before sanding. A spray bottle works well for it.

The water traps the plastic particles that result from sanding, making the process cleaner and easier to clean up. If I'm still getting particles going airborne, I simply spray more water. I guess it helps to make the sandpaper last longer too, but I haven't been sanding long enough to prove that, haha.

Ahhh, thank you!

mmhmm- water gets trapped as you wet sand. Funny- I do it both ways. I add water to the part then sand, and sometimes I wet the paper. Either way, it's easy to dry the piece of sandpaper. I usually stop after a pass with 600 grit sandpaper, but some may say it's not enough and to go for 1000. I find the paint job fine after a 600 grit session.

Wing Zero Custom sanded with 600 grit

Cool! Should I wear a surgeons disposable mask while sanding? If I wet sand will I still need it? Is eye protection optional?

It's not needed, but it would help since it does still get dusty after a while, even with wet sanding. As for eye protection, hmmm, I would say it's not needed as well, especially if you have something to push that dust away from you, like a fan or vent.

i see, thank you. If I go from 400 grit to 1500 grit, can I get the same results as 400 to 600 to 1000 to 1500? I'll have to sand more with the 1500 grit, right?

There will still be visible scratches if you go from 400 to 1500 so the results will not be the same should you take the longer route. 400-grit is pretty coarse so you may need progressive sanding to smooth out the surface.

Grits higher than 1000 are typically used for finishing touches (mostly for making the surface as smooth as possible) and don't sand off as much plastic as the lower grits so yes, going with 1500-grit right away will need more sanding.

What are you sanding? Parts for paint prep or something more tasking like seamline removal? You may be able to get away with using 600-grit instead of 400 depending on what you're sanding for. For example, I was working on seamline removal for my 1/100 Dynames two days ago. The surfaces were uneven so I went with a sanding file (probably at 400-grit) and wet-sanded until it was flat, then finished with a bit of dry-sanding 600 followed with 800 and 1500. It would have taken me longer to do with just 600-grit.
    Last edited by Dlinker; May 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

I'm just sanding off nubs. Thanks for the info! Build's going great!

New guy here, I will make a proper intro thread tomorrow, but for my first post here we go. In all the questions about sandpaper, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned sanding sticks. Don't get them from a hobby shop though, go to a beauty supply store. They run me here about a buck a stick. You can get them in various grits. Here is what I usually have in the arsenal.

Right to left, pink are 400/600, Gray is 100/180, white are 240/400, the last is a triple grit, black is 600, white is 4000 and the backside is 12000 grit. The sticks act like sanding blocks, which will keep your mating surfaces and such nice and flat. You can cut them to just about any shape needed using a good exacto blade. They are easily cleaned with soap and water. They wet sand well. If you don't want to paint, you can use the triple grit to polish the plastic out to a shine again.

The barrel of the gatling gun in the photo has been polished out with the triple grit and you can see the shine. Just for giggles and to clutter up the thread, here is the strike I am working on right now.

The astute among you will also spot another kit in the background that just needs a few finishing touches before I begin to paint it

Oh yeah, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. As a professional photographer, you would think I would know better
    Last edited by Okiera29; July 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Is Beauty Secrets the brand of those sticks you got there? I've actually never tried looking into a beauty supply store for them. I've done it when I was looking for dropper bottles and vials, but not sanding sticks.

Very interesting tip and one I'll check out soon.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."