Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MG 1/100 Gundam Astray Red Frame Kai

This is my first MG gunpla actually. And I am kinda scared to do this one. I feel like im gonna lose a part or something. And i have only done HGs before this. I just want to post my work-in-progress so i can get reviews to see if i am doing it right.
    This is what i started with:Astray Kai pic 1.jpg
    And this is the end of day one:Astray Kai pic 2.jpg
    Its kinda sad actually. I only finished the inner-frame for the chest in 3 hours. I took like 2 hours on the shoulders cuz i couldn't push them in all the way properly (insert "thats what she said" joke here). But after that break I quickly went to finishing the chest and got this far before my dad told me to sleep at 1:30am.
    Last edited by alphachruch; May 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM.
    by the great Deathscythe
    I'm Alphachruch on Steam, send me a pm if you wanna play.
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna
    "The stronger you get, the firecer you get." - Domon
    "I came to laugh at you" - Quattro
    "Locked on and firing" - Lockon (favorite gundam pilot)
    "Kamille is not a man's name!" - guess i dare you.
    Jesus Christ, haven't been online in 3 years.

Don't be afraid to build a Master Grade, just approach it with the attitude that everything is a learning process. If you make a mistake, rest assured that you won't make that same mistake again in the future. Also, it's fine to take things slow while you get used to more complicated builds. The astray is a great kit though, looking forward to seeing more!

Congrats on your very first Master Grade! They are loads of fun to work on. Take your time with the build and you should be fine. Oh and try not to force pieces together. If they are not conjoining then there's something wrong; refer to the build manual and evaluate a possible error. Keep that in notice because if you apply a lot of pressure on the parts they will break. Good luck on the project, I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Administrator
    Congrats man. I've built the Red Frame and it's an amazing kit. Like others have said, just take your time and you shouldn't have a problem. I will say that the Red Frame does have some really tight joints. I had to really put in some pressure to get them fully into place. Especially the hips.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Always remember to refer to the manual if you get even a small inkling that something isn't going in right or doesn't look right. Save yourself the hassle of having to take things apart again since that can lead to parts breaking (not always, though).

Taking that long on a section of your first MG kit is normal so don't feel bad.

Ok. Thanks guys. I took it easy on this one. I did not force anything, so that was good. If anything was wrong I would just go back to the snipped off plastic and sand them down a bit more, and usually worked.
    The night after Day 1 I couldn't sleep so i worked on the gundam a bit and finished the chest, head, and arms. Astray Kai pic 3.jpg
    And in Day 2 I finished the whole gundam. Now I just need to finish the Tac. Arms IIL. Astray Kai pic 5.jpgAstray Kai pic 4.jpg
    I find it funny that the MG kneeling down is the same size as the HG Unicorn Destroy standing up and the 00 Raiser on an action base. I still dont really know the proportions yet that make them different. Except that MGs are like 2-3 inches taller than their HG counterparts.
    Last edited by alphachruch; May 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
    by the great Deathscythe
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna

Administrator
    Looks really great man. I love the Red Frame. One of my favorite builds thus far. Be sure not to throw any of the extra pieces away. You can change up the Tactical Arms a bit with them. And as for the MG proportions compared to that of HG kits. MG are just at a larger scale. 1/100, instead of 1/144 for HG kits.

Ok then. Here are some more completion pics in HD. I wanna try to finish the Tact. Arm IIL by Wed since hw and MMORPGs will get in the way.DSCN3995.jpgDSCN3996.jpgDSCN3997.jpg
    by the great Deathscythe
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna

Quote Originally Posted by alphachruch View Post
    This is my first MG gunpla actually. And I am kinda scared to do this one. I feel like im gonna lose a part or something. And i have only done HGs before this. I just want to post my work-in-progress so i can get reviews to see if i am doing it right.
    This is what i started with:Astray Kai pic 1.jpg
    And this is the end of day one:Astray Kai pic 2.jpg
    Its kinda sad actually. I only finished the inner-frame for the chest in 3 hours. I took like 2 hours on the shoulders cuz i couldn't push them in all the way properly (insert "thats what she said" joke here). But after that break I quickly went to finishing the chest and got this far before my dad told me to sleep at 1:30am.
    In regards to the first sentence : I feel you, bro. I'm on the same tier you are. By saturday I'd only built HG kits. Then I came up with the idea to build my RG Gundam MKII. It's now feeble, some parts were just a pain in the butt to assemble. Well, it actually feels likely to scatter but it won't since you know it's a solid kit.

At this point I ought to congratulate you for attending to your first MG. I've already acquired mine. I did so long ago (it's been 5 months) but I've not convinced myself to build it just yet. I've got the Turn A MG preserved in my HLJ acc's private warehouse and I'll construct that beauty first.

As far as your fresh results are concerned, I feel encouraged to declare 2 things :

1. Well done, alpha. Hope you've been having fun, having been building the kit
    2. I can't describe how much I love this suit and kit. It is in fact my 2nd fav. Gundam. It's classified "special" on my "to acquire" list.

The achieved results look neat!
    Anime is for kids

Thanks Deathscythe. I really tried on this kit. I tried to make it as clean as possible and I plan on not lining or painting, but rather keep the beauty and mistakes of MG.
    by the great Deathscythe
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna

WellI decided to work on the Astray Kai portion today and i found out that i lost a entire plate. I lost the 2nd "L" plate that is required to make the part that connects the sword piece to the handle. So now the Astray can never be the Kai, until I find it.
    by the great Deathscythe
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna

Wow, that sucks. How did that happen?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Administrator
    I second that, how could an entire plate go missing?

This is how, when u get excited and then pull out plates and decide to move the box on top of one plate and then repeatingly opening and closing the box to find it even though its on ur bed. So yes, I found it under the box later and finished the gundam. This is the formation I decided to pose it in: DSCN4002.jpgDSCN4001.jpgDSCN4000.jpg
    Im pretty satisfied with the gundam and how it came out. Happy with the build and all. And happy with my decision to choose this as the first MG to build. I dont think im going back to HG anytime soon. Maybe RG. My next kit might be one of these 3: MG Age-2 Normal, Wing Gundam Custom Ver.Ka (not the feathery one), or the Remastered MG Aile Strike
    by the great Deathscythe
    "I am Gundam" - Setsuna

Administrator
    Great to hear that you found the missing plate. I've lost parts myself by putting something over them. Then forgetting about it. Your build looks really good and clean. Great work man.

And I've heard great things out of all three of those kits you mentioned. Especially the Aile Strike Ver RM.