Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Re: LED and Scratch Build How To

Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    Have you tried to set 2 LEDs on the ends and test using the original beam effect part? You may not need to go through all the trouble with the new rod?
    This. I honestly thought i saw him say he tried this but i was wrong. This is really the best way to do it, i was wondering why you were having issues lgt, i know this is how many have lit this particular sword. I believe forum member Sazabee did that with his Sword Strike, which is a very similar design.

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ional-Entry%29

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    This. I honestly thought i saw him say he tried this but i was wrong. This is really the best way to do it, i was wondering why you were having issues lgt, i know this is how many have lit this particular sword. I believe forum member Sazabee did that with his Sword Strike, which is a very similar design.

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ional-Entry%29
    I am having issue becoz I thought the effect comes from the original effect parts. Maybe I am dumb but it's my first custom led + mod and the modding part was not planned but necessary if I want to get similar effects. And the reason for my thread b4 it is merge is to ask questions for my build anyway

I guess we were confused because the reference photo you had was the DM sword and was not the MG version. I noticed the pink beam effects part was darker, more rubber-like and less transparent than those from bandai. If you are using the bandai version, I believe if you use two smds on the opening (front and end), you should have similar effects from the first photo you showed. Don't get frustrated. I think we were just confused with what you wanted to do and what you have done so far.

Super Moderator

Yea my comment was aimed at your pic where you had the led's going underneath the blade, with a couple of led's in a line. Have you tried with just aiming the two led's across?

I should pull out my DM version and do some tests, to show off a what they look like from different angles, so you don't have to chop into your kit as much.

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

I agree with Squee you should try aiming the LEDs towards eachother. If you look at Jacks pictures he has the LED pointed towards the beam for the beam saber. That's why it is so much brighter at the base of the saber than the end.

Super Moderator

I think where i got confused is i thought that picture was his, the DM sword is from a blog post. Don't do it that way, especially with your original MG. The DM effect has a weird piece in the middle for stability, i think that's why they did it that way. It would disrupt the flow of light. The effect that comes with the original/official destiny should be fine lighting it with an led in both ends of the sword pointed towards each other.

Hi all thanks for the recommendations. My apologies if the pic confuses all of you and the fustraction it caused when u are all so eager to help me. I hope will make my advisers happy with the pic below. Problem now is there is no 3mm SMD I can buy locally.. So I have to some how make do with my 3mm round LEDs. Also I am thinking If I clear coat it with red to get a purplish effect when I used blue led

You can certainly use a 3mm round rather than a 3mm SMD. Just make sure you have enough room for the LED and the light is directed towards your effect part. I also read somewhere that depending on your paint type (enamel or acrylic), different % of light is reduced. I remember doing this with acrylic clear red or orange and noticed the light emission was less than unpainted.

Super Moderator

If you pay attention to the contacts inside the led bulb, you can actually sand the outside into a thinner square if needed. So long as the inside metal isn't touched you can easily make it smaller. Flattening the edges would probably make it easier to fit. Tinting the led wouldn't be the best solution to this, you want as much light as an out put as possible to make sure it lights the whole piece. It would be better to paint the piece the color you want. If you want a purple look, you can pick up UV led's. Not only will it give you a purple look, but it will also react with the bandai part and add to the look.

Hi guys what type of adhesives do you use to sick your LEDs to the model? I am using tamiya glue but I seem not very ideal for this kind of work

LED and Scratch Build How To

I usually just cut out proper spacing for the LEDs but you should be able to use crazy glue. I suggest you use masking tape though because if something goes wrong, you have less of a mess to cleanup. Since it's hidden inside, it should not matter as much.

Super Moderator

If the LED doesn't fit into the area i plan on using it, i will use hot glue, or 2 part epoxy. I used to use CA glue, but I've had more than one short because of it.

Tutorial: Put LED into gundam head

Hello
    My second tutorial is mod Led for gundam
    My kit i used in this video is Nu Gundam ver KA

Enjoy and share your experiment Thank you

Last edited by hoanglinh1291; April 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM.

hi guys I got stuck with another part which is not really the LED fault but I cannot find space short of cutting a grove into the piece to slot in the LED. Can anyone advice where I should try to put the LED without cutting (hopefully)?

P.S sorry guys that I didnt reply to your thread. Somehow my gundam account is screwy and does not email me that someone replies to my posts.

9806E514-1470-40E7-8B32-56689EBEEC32_zpselbk5mg2.jpg

Can you cut a slit in the top to slide the LED in? did you expect to be able to fold the part back into the sword?