Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    WOW! "jaw hitting floor"

Holy shit. I will learn how to do this if it kills me.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    WOW! "jaw hitting floor"
    that is some serious light effect. just crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Holy shit. I will learn how to do this if it kills me.
    I will join you. http://youtu.be/Ks8mrroxJ5g

This is pretty simple to do and you will only need 4 components - a battery, a switch, a resistor, and the actual led.

To start off, pick the power supply and led you want to use. As an example, lets say its a 9 Volt battery for the power supply, and a 3mm led.

When you buy an led, you need to know two things - How much voltage (Volts) and current (Amp) is required to power it. Lets say that 3mm led needs between 2.0 - 2.2 VDC at a maximum of 20 mA. This means that at that voltage and current, the led will produce the brightest light at its highest safe operating temperature. If you were to use 50, or 100 mA, the led would shine brighter, but the heat generated by the current would destroy the led immediately or over time.

Power (P=V x I), or Watts, can be found by multiplying the Voltage (2.2) by Current (.02) = 0.044 Watts. This is important when selecting your resistor.

In order to calculate what resistor you need, subtract the led voltage from your power supply voltage (9.0 - 2.2 = 6.8 Volts). Using the formula R=V/I (Resistance = Voltage/Current) you get R=6.8/.02, R= 340 ohms

Depending on the leds power requirements, your calculated resistor value may not be available. You can use any higher resistor value as a substitue, so in this case if you couldn't find a 340 ohm resistor, but 370 ohm is available, it will work just fine. The only other consideration for the resistor is its power rating. A resistor is meant to resist the flow of current, and this translates to heat, so resistors are made with different power ratings. Again, your calculated power rating might not be a standard value, so the closest highest match would work.

In this case, at 0.044 Watts of power, a 1/10 (0.1) Watt resistor would work just fine, but this power rating is meant for resistors that are surface mounted, so a 1/4 Watts thru hole resistor (the type with legs) would work.

Once you have all your parts, you can assemble them anyways you want (circuit board, housing, bare, etc) so long as the components stay in the correct order.

[+]-----------[Switch]--------
    |
    Battery [Resistor]
    |
    [-]------------[LED]----------

The battery and led are the only components that are polarized (have a positive and negative side). The positive side is usually marked on batteries, and the longest leg of an led bulb is the positive side.

Good day,
    Has anyone tried this product for lighting mobile suits? The line is designed for Lego's Had this my reference section for my ship models
    Especially note the Lighting Effect Controller (strobe, dimmer effects etc):
    http://www.brickstuff.com/lec-details.html

THIS THREAD IS NOW MINE!!
    hey can someone change the name to "LEDs and general modifications" plz? there is no thread on modifying that i see and it can get mixed in here sense LEDs require it. so ive decided id jack this thread and FEED IT! im going to go and see what i can dredge up now.

- - - Updated - - -

oh can someone sticky this? you know u wanna.

- - - Updated - - -

heres a good question from another thread. if you do a LED shining into a clear effect part should you gloss coat it or flat coat it or what?

- - - Updated - - -

this thread http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...-gauge-of-wire can get merged with this one.

- - - Updated - - -

and so can this one.
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ted-lightpipes

and the hot glue light piping is an interesting idea.

- - - Updated - - -

belay my last. Squee said "You can also heat a clear runner and stretch it to make your own piping. " that is a wonderful idea. although i wonder how effective it would be.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

THIS THREAD IS NOW MINE!!
    I must commit Gundam intervention!!!!!!!
    gundam-exia.jpg

Custom LEDs for my Next MG build need help

Hi all, I am planning for my next build and normally I would like to learn something while building my gunpla to keep it interesting and educational at the same time. For my next build I am thinking of adding custom LEDs as part of my on-going skill set. However since this is a totally new experience for me I would like to check with Bros here what is the Dos and Donts and what to expect while going through the build.

The kit I am going to experiment with is the MG Destiny Extreme Blast mode hence I am planning to at least LEDs in these areas,

1. 1 x Head unit
    2. 1 x Left hand for effect
    3. 3 - 6 x left and right wing each
    4. Thrusters ?
    5. Sword LED

Re: Custom LEDs for my Next MG build need help

Check these guys out.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/le...viewfullsite=1

Jackofspades myself and several other have used these guys in the past because the sell pre wired leds which is great if you are starting out with leds. They even have leds that flash.

Not sure where you want to place the ones on the wing. Thrusters are a better bet.

that is a LOT for a first attempt. id suggest not attempting so many to start with. that is a huge undertaking for a first attempt at LED mods. and if you try all those right out of the gate you will get frustrated and bad things will happen. what tools do you already have? do you have a soldering iron? and are you good with it? do you have a breadboard and are you already good at building reliable circuits? if you are really new to all of this then i would not try all of what you are planning. id put that dream build aside and do a more simple LED mod on another kit. or if you really really do want to do it on this kit just pick witch mods you want the most. like head and wings. that would be much easier. and use SMDs they are small and bright for their size. and be sure to plan where the battery, switch and where EXACTLY the wires and SMDs will go. use enamel coated magnet wire. its thin and wont short. be sure to use the breadboard and build the circuit on that to be sure it works. and be sure to use resistors. they will keep you from burning out your SMDs and let you adjust the brightness. try to hide the wires really well and in your planning phase be sure to figure out where they might get pinched in joints and make sure at no point will they be bent back and forth a lot at one point. some people use tiny springs for this. they solder the wire onto both ends of the spring and let the spring sit at that point that bends a lot. also for some things where you cannot get a wire though right before where the light will come out (like a neck joint or inside the head) some people make clear resin copies of those parts of the kit. like light piping. but i really doubt you will need to go that far for just doing the wings and head. oh also you need to find a hollow spot on the kit to store the battery and switch. and mod it so you can get to it to replace the battery and mount the switch somewhere where you can turn it on and off easy. if there are no hollow spots on the kit then you need to figure out how to make one in the kit (like take the cockpit out completely or remove frame parts that dont really do anything structurally.) if you cant do that then you may have to put the battery and switch in a base and have a connector on the kit in an area where it will not be seen. like under the skirt armor. then have wires run up through the base to connect to the kit. im on a tangent here but basically dont bite off more than you can chew. but at the same time there are a lot of ways to get around problems doing wiring. so if/when you do do this LED project be sure to post a lot of pics and dont be afraid to ask a LOT of questions and do your homework.

Zaku on kova luu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    Check these guys out.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/le...viewfullsite=1

Jackofspades myself and several other have used these guys in the past because the sell pre wired leds which is great if you are starting out with leds. They even have leds that flash.
    thanks Rxslinger for the referral

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    Not sure where you want to place the ones on the wing. Thrusters are a better bet.
    Hi Jackofspades.

this is just an idea of mine as I saw it done before but I am still in my planning stages so I could change my mind depending on complexity.

- - - Updated - - -

that is a LOT for a first attempt. id suggest not attempting so many to start with. that is a huge undertaking for a first attempt at LED mods. and if you try all those right out of the gate you will get frustrated and bad things will happen. what tools do you already have? do you have a soldering iron? and are you good with it? do you have a breadboard and are you already good at building reliable circuits? if you are really new to all of this then i would not try all of what you are planning. id put that dream build aside and do a more simple LED mod on another kit. or if you really really do want to do it on this kit just pick witch mods you want the most. like head and wings. that would be much easier. and use SMDs they are small and bright for their size. and be sure to plan where the battery, switch and where EXACTLY the wires and SMDs will go. use enamel coated magnet wire. its thin and wont short. be sure to use the breadboard and build the circuit on that to be sure it works. and be sure to use resistors. they will keep you from burning out your SMDs and let you adjust the brightness. try to hide the wires really well and in your planning phase be sure to figure out where they might get pinched in joints and make sure at no point will they be bent back and forth a lot at one point. some people use tiny springs for this. they solder the wire onto both ends of the spring and let the spring sit at that point that bends a lot. also for some things where you cannot get a wire though right before where the light will come out (like a neck joint or inside the head) some people make clear resin copies of those parts of the kit. like light piping. but i really doubt you will need to go that far for just doing the wings and head. oh also you need to find a hollow spot on the kit to store the battery and switch. and mod it so you can get to it to replace the battery and mount the switch somewhere where you can turn it on and off easy. if there are no hollow spots on the kit then you need to figure out how to make one in the kit (like take the cockpit out completely or remove frame parts that dont really do anything structurally.) if you cant do that then you may have to put the battery and switch in a base and have a connector on the kit in an area where it will not be seen. like under the skirt armor. then have wires run up through the base to connect to the kit. im on a tangent here but basically dont bite off more than you can chew. but at the same time there are a lot of ways to get around problems doing wiring. so if/when you do do this LED project be sure to post a lot of pics and dont be afraid to ask a LOT of questions and do your homework.
    Hi Zaku thanks alot for the immense information you provide. I have to break up what you said by parts and digest and start to plan for my build.

Basically I was an engineer by trade so I am comfortable with a soldering iron and what not (although I have not touch one in ages...) Yeb like you said I will start slow on this build and first plan where all my Surface Mount LEDs to go where and where should I park my switch.... I am thinking off my head underneath the skirt where you normally plug the stand in but I have yet to open up the manual and read part by part how that is assemble so I need to look into that as well.

I need to do more investigation on the spring part tho as that is new to me and yes I will not be afraid to ask ALOT of questions.

good to hear you have some experience. and good luck on this build. ill help as much as i can. but im no bad ass gunpla builder.

Zaku on kova luu.

Not sure if it'll help but here's my LED mod wip for my MG Nu ver ka:

http://gundameclipse.net/topic/5069548/1/