Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 329 of 337 FirstFirst ... 229279319324325326327328329330331332333334 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 5048

Thread: Life

  1. #4921
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fortress of Regrets
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: Life

    I haven't been posting much because I was fired recently from my job at the law firm. Supposedly they found malicious data in one of my computers that violated the firm's Acceptable Use Policy, but they kept the details vague and I had no clue what that data was or how it could have reached my machines. Almost nine years busting my butt for that place and they kicked me out in an hour. I already knew the firm didn't care about its employees, but the way they let me go just like that was a slap to the face. They did pay me a month's worth of income, but when I checked the stub it all came from my unspent vacation hours and a mere 30 hours of sick time out of the 300+ hours I accumulated because I rarely took sick days. Really showed that all of the work I did, all of the sacrifices I made for that place had absolutely no value.

    Well, that's not entirely correct. A few days after, I got in touch with some people there that I helped out often and they told me the office was in an uproar, with attorneys and staff alike complaining to the Admin Director why I was let go. It was a nice comfort, to know that I did make an impact on people there, because I was in a dark place while I was unemployed. It's the first time I have gotten fired and to this day, it still makes me feel crappy when I relive that moment. I went job hunting right when I got home, but it was the closest I had gotten to being depressed and truly scared in a loooong time.

    That was about five weeks ago. I got back to being employed as of 3/20 when, completely to my surprise, I landed a similar job at a crane rental/supply company just 10 miles from my house, in the city where I used to live before buying our house so no more need to use the train to commute. Pay is more or less the same with plenty of overtime and opportunities to do IT stuff beyond the usual duties so it makes for good stuff to put on my resume. I work with a team that loves to share the knowledge and my new boss is hands-off, but still encouraging and knowledgeable without nitpicking. I'm still learning the ropes in this new place, but I'm already enjoying it way more than the law firm and I don't go home feeling stressed out mentally.

    It's a blessing I'm very fortunate to have, because the same week when I got fired, my wife and I discovered that she is pregnant. With a new job that I happen to enjoy, I feel relief knowing I can provide for my child because it was one of the biggest worries I had. To add to the fortunes, we found out yesterday after some test results arrived that it will be a boy too. Hard to believe so much has happened in such a short amount of time.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

  2. #4922
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,762

    Re: Life

    Gracious Friend! Sorry to hear about being handed a raw deal at your old job, though in your words its nice to know you impacted some of the folks there.

    as for you finding a new job that actually APPRECIATES YOU, Glad to hear and congratulations on the child friend! Glad to see you are doing well given the initial set back comrade. Hope you have some blessed years ahead of you

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  3. #4923
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,391

    Re: Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    I haven't been posting much because I was fired recently from my job at the law firm. Supposedly they found malicious data in one of my computers that violated the firm's Acceptable Use Policy, but they kept the details vague and I had no clue what that data was or how it could have reached my machines. Almost nine years busting my butt for that place and they kicked me out in an hour. I already knew the firm didn't care about its employees, but the way they let me go just like that was a slap to the face. They did pay me a month's worth of income, but when I checked the stub it all came from my unspent vacation hours and a mere 30 hours of sick time out of the 300+ hours I accumulated because I rarely took sick days. Really showed that all of the work I did, all of the sacrifices I made for that place had absolutely no value.

    Well, that's not entirely correct. A few days after, I got in touch with some people there that I helped out often and they told me the office was in an uproar, with attorneys and staff alike complaining to the Admin Director why I was let go. It was a nice comfort, to know that I did make an impact on people there, because I was in a dark place while I was unemployed. It's the first time I have gotten fired and to this day, it still makes me feel crappy when I relive that moment. I went job hunting right when I got home, but it was the closest I had gotten to being depressed and truly scared in a loooong time.

    That was about five weeks ago. I got back to being employed as of 3/20 when, completely to my surprise, I landed a similar job at a crane rental/supply company just 10 miles from my house, in the city where I used to live before buying our house so no more need to use the train to commute. Pay is more or less the same with plenty of overtime and opportunities to do IT stuff beyond the usual duties so it makes for good stuff to put on my resume. I work with a team that loves to share the knowledge and my new boss is hands-off, but still encouraging and knowledgeable without nitpicking. I'm still learning the ropes in this new place, but I'm already enjoying it way more than the law firm and I don't go home feeling stressed out mentally.

    It's a blessing I'm very fortunate to have, because the same week when I got fired, my wife and I discovered that she is pregnant. With a new job that I happen to enjoy, I feel relief knowing I can provide for my child because it was one of the biggest worries I had. To add to the fortunes, we found out yesterday after some test results arrived that it will be a boy too. Hard to believe so much has happened in such a short amount of time.
    Wow! Talk about a roller coaster ride. Hearing this often reminds me that in the American workforce system, you can be fired for any reason. However, the flip side of that coin is that opportunity just right around the corner. Still, congrats on the new - and better - job, and your future son. I wish both you and your wife happiness for the rest of your lives.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  4. #4924
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In yer base killin yer GMs
    Posts
    8,901

    Re: Life

    Damn man. all the crap you put up with that idiot boss and all that hard work out the window like that. im really sorry to hear that man. at least there was some there who called bull when you got let go. like Zeta said hardcore emotional roller coaster. i hope this new job works out for you and they dont use and abuse you like the last one. so far it sounds like a good place to work.

    congrats on the future son. that is awesome. im sure you are looking forward to when he is old enough to watch gundam hahah.

    Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

  5. #4925
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,762

    Re: Life

    Yes, at last a Sign of Dlinker...'s son....

    Looks around seeing some facepalming and desking


    too soon?

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  6. #4926
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,391

    Re: Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenico View Post
    Yes, at last a Sign of Dlinker...'s son....

    Looks around seeing some facepalming and desking


    too soon?
    Inappropes dude, inappropes.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  7. #4927
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,762

    Re: Life

    bows humbly

    sincerest apologies for such a distasteful pun

    My bad folks, my bads

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  8. #4928
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!
    Posts
    3,642

    Re: Life

    Well good to see that it all ended well. That's why I agree with the old saying "when one door closes, another door opens." Close to home with a pregnant wife is invaluable!

    As for Kenicos comment, I don't see how it was inappropriate. He is correct finally a sign of the Dlinker, he did say that he had not posted it a good bit. And he has been off the radar, although we now now why and it is a good/bad thing.and now it's "and son". Maybe I missed something in translation but I don't see the part that makes it inappropriate. But in my defense I am a very literal person, so I miss a lot of puns, good or bad, so I might have missed something again.



    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

    My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

    My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

    My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

  9. #4929
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In yer base killin yer GMs
    Posts
    8,901

    Re: Life

    Haha. I didnt get it either man. Dot feel bad.

    Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

  10. #4930
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!
    Posts
    3,642

    Re: Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Haha. I didnt get it either man. Dot feel bad.
    Ya but you couldn't get it if she was giving it away for free........



    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

    My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

    My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

    My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

  11. #4931
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,762

    Re: Life

    I was trying to do "A Sign of Zeta" joke but with Dlinker...to lame XD

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  12. #4932
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In yer base killin yer GMs
    Posts
    8,901

    Re: Life

    Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Ya but you couldn't get it if she was giving it away for free........
    well im to fat now to fit in my blues so....

    Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

  13. #4933
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fortress of Regrets
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: Life

    Haha, I didn't get the joke either so no problems there and even if I did, I have a high tolerance for jokes/ribbing so no worries there. My co-workers were calling me "New Guy" for my first three days at the new job and it didn't phase me one bit (supposedly one of the guys they hired before got irked by that kind of thing). Maybe it's because I'm old-fashioned; I always consider the first year at a new job to be the learning year which means you have to put your dues in and suffer a bit.

    It's surprising how busy the IT dept gets in this new place. They're smaller than the law firm, but the calls/emails/tickets come in regularly throughout the day. I think it's mostly because they're modernizing their really old network infrastructure. A lot of the issues that come in are pretty simple in nature, but can become complicated because of lack of documentation (another thing that makes tickets challenging here). Only time will tell how things will go over the years here. It's worth mentioning that the quality of the workplace for me is highly based on the people I work with so if my teammates are in this for the long haul, I have no fear of things turning for the worse.

    I do miss checking this forum every day. Really nice to see that it's staying consistent still. I probably won't be as active as I was before here since I'm minimizing non-work stuff for the time being, but I will say that I'm anxious to come back to working on model kits, although I'm starting to lean towards miniatures because it allows me to get through them quicker. It won't be anytime soon because my garage is still a mess, but the incoming baby is kinda forcing us to clean it up to avoid getting overwhelmed with junk.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

  14. #4934
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In yer base killin yer GMs
    Posts
    8,901

    Re: Life

    "I probably won't be as active as I was before here since I'm minimizing non-work stuff for the time being"

    Life comes first man. we understand. just good to hear you are not falling apart at the seams.

    Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

  15. #4935
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,421

    Re: Life

    im currently fighting a battle against my Endocrine and Genitourinary classes. every week we have an exam on 300+ pages of material. At least i knocked the first endo exam out of the park but GU sucks since im awful with math.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •