Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 343 of 344 FirstFirst ... 243293333338339340341342343344 LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,145 of 5152

Thread: Life

Re: Life

Just realized I never posted on here that my son was going on vacation with my in-laws for two months, coming back in the middle of April with them. My apologies to those who I may have misled.

He's fine and dandy in the Philippines. He even survived a 10-hour road trip to the distant provinces where people live a simple, old-school life. He did have a minor bout of congestion, but after some anti-biotics, he's okay now. Not that the congestion affected him; Other than coughing and having trouble breathing sometimes, he was just as active and eating just as much as if he was healthy.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Well in that happy case, enjoy your break/quiet time away from him with your wife. But not too much. The west coast doesn’t need any more earthquakes*, Dlinker.

*old forum joke; I’m probably the only one that remembers it.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; March 14, 2019 at 7:06 PM.
    Sieg Zeon!

Dude, I remember that joke from when I was still lurking around here. I don't remember the specifics though.

Another bit of "other news": This week has not had a drop of rain in the Bay Area and I'm happy. Not that I mind the rain, but I do mind what rain does to drivers here. Plus it means I'll finally have a chance to go to the outdoor gun ranges to shoot my rifles.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Damn had me worried Dlinker. But really glad to hear your kiddo is ok. I hope him seeing how some people still live makes him appreciate what most of us have nowadays. And isnt rock island manufacturing in the Philippines? Yall should go bug them for a 10mm 1911. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and ill send yall some rain if you like. We got way way way more than we need here on the east coast.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Damn nice Zeta. Im jelly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Nothing better than getting a job at place you know you're going to enjoy working at. Congratulations, Zeta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    Congrats, Zeta.
    Thanks guys.

Another bit of "other news": This week has not had a drop of rain in the Bay Area and I'm happy. Not that I mind the rain, but I do mind what rain does to drivers here. Plus it means I'll finally have a chance to go to the outdoor gun ranges to shoot my rifles.
    And now there isn't a drop down here in SoCal. Not that I'm complaining, we need the rain... just wish it didn't all pour in practically one month.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Dude, I remember that joke from when I was still lurking around here. I don't remember the specifics though.
    IIRC it started when you mentioned something to the effect of planning on having some "alone time" with your lady friend and the West Coast got hit with an earthquake almost immediately thereafter; I then made some smart ass observation/rhetorical question about the timing that implied/claimed a link between the two, and then some of the other forum members joined in the friendly banter for a week or three (there were a series of earthquakes). Naturally, since this was all basically a bunch of smart ass nonsense from some of your online friends that was essentially patting you on the back for your supposedly earthshaking "skills" with the ladies, you were happy to play along with the puerile humor by nonchalantly not denying responsibility for the earthquakes. That's the gist of it IIRC, but it's been several years since it happened, so my recollection of events might be slightly off.

On that note, I recommend everybody watch "Shimoneta". It's kinda like Code Geass, except without mechs or Geass, and the Lelouch-like leader of the "terrorists" is fighting against the puritanical government's unjust banning dirty jokes/toys/erotica/sex ed/etc. It's totally pervy and hilarious (to be clear it is absolutely not hentai). I have the BDs, so I don't know what the current streaming situation is for the show, but last I knew it was still on Funimation's streaming service and Hulu. Here's the op:

Sieg Zeon!

@Dlinker, I hadn't been around for a while, and I almost got misled. LOL
    Good to hear everything's fine.

A lot of things happened while I was away from the forums. My wife just gave birth last December. We went through "water birth" delivery safely. I admire my wife's determination to give birth without any meds. It was a wonderful Christmas gift to our family.

January came with a sucker punch though. After almost 7 years in the company, we were laid off. It did not make any sense, but we had to deal with it. We were compensated fairly though as mandated by our country's labor code, but still, the anxiety was off the charts with the new born kid. I sent out my resumes out there.

Thankfully, after a month, I landed another job. I'm still a software developer and was given a senior position and a higher pay. I'm still in my learing curve as the process in here is still not matured compared to my previous company, and I miss them. It's difficult to describe. Ideally, everything you have in the production environment should have a copy in the development and testing environments. In here, they only just have sandboxes and no real copies of the system in every environments. I have never seen anything like this in my 13 years of experience.

Anyway, I'm still thankful I have a job to put food on the table.

^ Holy crap, that really is a lot of things happening. Wow, congratulations on both your new baby and your new job. I know how it feels to lose a job with a baby in tow, really the worst feeling ever and makes you question your abilities as a parent and provider.

@Zeta-G, thanks for the refresher. I do distinctly remember that whole exchange and it was definitely funny.

@Zaku, RIA is indeed in the Philippines and I do wish they make a 10mm 1911. I'm still holding out hope...

Not that I mind the rain, but I do mind what rain does to drivers here.

What's excuse for the other 95% of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    What's excuse for the other 95% of the time?
    Easy, they're just plain morons. Or around my area (Hayward/San Leandro/Oakland), they're Asian. I seriously have no clue how Asians can drive so stupidly here. I still remember this jerk-off who was backing up quickly from a parking spot. Without looking or checking his blind spots. Almost nailed my car had I not honked at him.

And what ethnicity was he? Middle-aged Asian guy.

I know the Hayward/Castro Valley area. My family is from there. People in the bay drive like crap. One time I was driving my truck pulling a trailer with a car on it
    Traffic was backed up. I was on the exit ramp cruising a5 about 20 mph pulling up to traffic that was at a dead stop on the ex8 ramp. All of a sudden i see a white bmw cuts across 3 freeway lanes and right infront of. I had to slam on the brakes looking up the tires on the trailer. I came about 3 feet from rear ending. When i finally got next to him it was one of the individuals that you mentioned. I started yelling at him asking what was he think. He flipped me off and and started cursing at me. I told him i was going to kick his ignorant a-- and took my seat belt off. He panicked and ran a red light.

I use an Ideon avatar for a reason. Humans suck. I say bring on the super viruses, global warming, alien invaders, etc. to thin the herd. There are way too many stupid people walking/driving around; the fewer irrational, selfish morons there are infesting the planet, the better it is for everyone and everything else.
    Sieg Zeon!

I seriously have no clue how Asians can drive so stupidly here.
    One explanation given to me by one of my Asian friends (he's Vietnamese), and this applies more to the older generations of Asians living in America, is that the roads in Asia - particularly those more remote and rural places in China, Vietnam, Thailand, and other such countries - had no dividers and no lanes. When those Asian immigrants came over here, they brought their driving habits with them and just had/have a hard time adjusting to the American road system of lanes and signals. Interestingly enough, this doesn't always apply to Japanese drivers, and this makes a fair bit of sense when you think about it. Japan in the 1930's, and especially in the 1950's and 1960's, adopted a road system similar to European and American road systems. Since that same system is still in place to this day, it has produced actually decent Japanese drivers.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Ive seen vids of people driving in china. Its obvious that if you are not a crazy asshole you will do nothing but sit still.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

^ Dude, those videos are will make a sane person crazy, seriously. If you ever want an example of just how brainless some people can be, look those videos up. I won't say any more, other than beware. Supposedly, the driving situation there has improved...

@Zeta, funny you mention that as I always tell my wife that's why Asian drivers are so terrible here. However, I will admit that driving in the Bay Area, even in the worst conditions is much more favorable over driving in any city in the Philippines. Think crowded malls filled with people, but give each of them cars and you have a good idea on how it works there. No regard for lanes or traffic flow, but at least there is excellent spatial awareness for everyone on the road, including pedestrians crossing the expressways at random.