Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 236 of 337 FirstFirst ... 136186226231232233234235236237238239240241246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 5044

Thread: Life

Re: Life

So I've been doing some geopolitical reading as of late and I found something disturbing. For the past few years, the Russian Air Force has been making simulated attacks on Swedish shipping lanes using some old Tupolev Tu-22M Backfires. The latest incursion happened on the July 4, 2015 and while the planes never did enter Swedish airspace, a couple of Swedish JAS-39 Gripens were scrambled to intercept them. These events, combined with Crimean and Ukrainian incursions, make it look like Russia is gearing up for war. It wouldn't really surprise since Putin is in charge (and he is kind of nuts), but it certainly is disturbing. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking things and maybe this is some kind of training exercise. So what do you guys think?
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

you'd think being military id be balls deep in politics but only a bit. i doesn't sound to unlikely but makes me wonder if we would get involved if something did come out of it.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    you'd think being military id be balls deep in politics but only a bit. i doesn't sound to unlikely but makes me wonder if we would get involved if something did come out of it.
    What haven't we gotten involved in?

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

ukraine.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

I likewise do not dabble nor concern myself with politics. Not to be cliche, but once the bullets start flying the politics go out the window.

yea pretty much its just a pissing contest if we did

Zaku on kova luu.

ukraine.
    We might get involved as Ukraine wants to join NATO. The only reason we haven't is because our current president doesn't want to involve us in it. If we were to get involved, it might turn into Iraq all over again. That being said, the actions that he has taken (namely the economic sanctions against Russia) aren't nearly as hard as they could be.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Series of concentric interlinked esoteric simpsons refrences

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    We might get involved as Ukraine wants to join NATO. The only reason we haven't is because our current president doesn't want to involve us in it. If we were to get involved, it might turn into Iraq all over again. That being said, the actions that he has taken (namely the economic sanctions against Russia) aren't nearly as hard as they could be.
    I'd be a tad worse than Iraq.

We wouldn't be pissing off a piss pot Regime using ages old Soviet Tech.

We'd be pissing off a world power...using age old Soviet Tech. Bad joke.

But I doubt, at least I hope, that it doesn't escalate beyond a second cold war.

i kinda doubt we would because we both know if it inst a proxy war some serious shit would go down and i dont think we are willing to go that far for them. but no telling. man that would suck ass if we did.

- - - Updated - - -

ZRC read my mind.

Zaku on kova luu.

What I'm also worried about is the arms race that's going on in Asia right now. China is developing it's own 5th generation fighters, on top of restoring an old Soviet aircraft carrier that they purchased from Russia. In response, Japan is building it's own 5th generation fighter called the Mitsubishi ATD-X. Originally, they wanted to purchase F-22 Raptors from us, but there's a US law that outright prohibits the sale of F-22 Raptors to anyone outside of the US. However, one of my friends (with whom I like to talk politics with) predicts that the People's Republic of China will collapse in about 10-15 years; and if China falls, so will North Korea.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Series of concentric interlinked esoteric simpsons refrences

Just looked up that ATD-X.

It's like Japan went "Fine we'll make our own F-22."

Yeah worlds always in some sort of near war, it's unnerving, but I don't think it'll escalate, we're so interwoven now, that the ingredients and nationalism that allowed WWI and II to happen doesn't really exist at this point in time. Maybe it's just naive thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

But who knows with Japan and China at each others throats, is what I'm the most worried about, on one hand you have a major Ally, (Japan) on the other hand you have the Econmic super power that has kept the US in cheap goods for ages. So either way we're kinda fucked in that regard. Excuse my french.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeon's RedComet View Post
    Just looked up that ATD-X.

It's like Japan went "Fine we'll make our own F-22."

Yeah worlds always in some sort of near war, it's unnerving, but I don't think it'll escalate, we're so interwoven now, that the ingredients and nationalism that allowed WWI and II to happen doesn't really exist at this point in time. Maybe it's just naive thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

But who knows with Japan and China at each others throats, is what I'm the most worried about, on one hand you have a major Ally, (Japan) on the other hand you have the Econmic super power that has kept the US in cheap goods for ages. So either way we're kinda fucked in that regard. Excuse my french.
    I doubt either Japan or China wants to enter into a mutually destructive conflict. China isnt gonna risk its trade with US, considering how much food and other items are imported. At this climate China simply cant afford to slug it out with US.

About Ukraine, i doubt that it will go so far as to incite another WW. There is a chance that NATO or EU deploys troops there but ATM i wouldnt bet on US intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Tropen MS-09D View Post
    I doubt either Japan or China wants to enter into a mutually destructive conflict. China isnt gonna risk its trade with US, considering how much food and other items are imported. At this climate China simply cant afford to slug it out with US.

About Ukraine, i doubt that it will go so far as to incite another WW. There is a chance that NATO or EU deploys troops there but ATM i wouldnt bet on US intervention.
    I agree Dom, on both points. Democracy is slowly spreading in China, and Putin is slowly turning into the most hated man in all of Russia. All the world has to do at this point is watch and wait until both governments slowly kill themselves.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I agree Dom, on both points. Democracy is slowly spreading in China, and Putin is slowly turning into the most hated man in all of Russia. All the world has to do at this point is watch and wait until both governments slowly kill themselves.
    Russia is close to the situation it was in 1917: Its army in poor condition, a hated leader taking part in unpopular war. Putin has a sizable group of hardcore followers but i dont think his regime has a lot of time left. But well have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Tropen MS-09D View Post
    Russia is close to the situation it was in 1917: Its army in poor condition, a hated leader taking part in unpopular war. Putin has a sizable group of hardcore followers but i dont think his regime has a lot of time left. But well have to wait and see.
    Do you think there will be a second Russian Revolution?
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church