Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Mobile Suit Gundam Chronology

Welcome to the Chronology List for the Gundam franchise. It includes the dominant Universal Century and Alternate Universe timelines accordingly.

First, let me just say that this is not a beginner's guide. The intention has always been to list works as they happen in their respective timelines. I will however try to make it possible for new watchers to easily find something they like without giving away any spoilers.

Additionally, only animated works will be listed. It's always been my intention to list manga and novels, but a lot of these have never seen a translation, let alone an official release, so they will be left out.

Every entry will be listed by Title, Production and/or Release Year, followed by a specification of release. (Television series, Original Video Animation or Theatrical Film)

This will will be compiled in accordance to Bandai's license of Gundam in the USA. That means entries will be titled with the licensed name, and will state if dubbed or otherwise.

Let any inconsistencies or suggestions for improvement be heard. If I don't respond to replies on this thread, then I probably missed it. Please PM me and I'll do my best.

Universal Century - UC

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - 2015 > Ongoing - OVA - 4 Episodes Planned
    Based on Char Aznable's early years from Gundam: The Origin manga. The events occur 11 years before the One Year War in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO - 2004>2009 - OVAx3 - 3 Episodes per OVA = 9 Episodes Total (Undubbed)
    MS IGLOO happens during the One Year War. It shows important events in OYW history, and therefore comes before Mobile Suit Gundam. It should also be noted that MS IGLOO isn't a single OVA, but each 3 different OVAs consisting of 3 episodes each.

Mobile Suit Gundam - 1979>1980 - 1st Series - 43 Episodes (42 English Dubbed) - Compilation Film x3 (English Dubbed)
    Mobile Suit Gundam otherwise known as Gundam 0079 or First Gundam started the Gundam metaseries in 1979.
    It was originally scheduled to run for 50 episodes, but due to ratings, it was shortened to 43.
    Director Yoshiyuki Tomino later had the chance to make a series of 3 compilation films with various changes to suit his ideal. These films where released in English BEFORE Sunrise had dubbed the 42 episodes.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbold - 2015> Ongoing - OVA - 4 Episodes

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - 1996>1999 - OVA - 12 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film
    The 08th MS Team happens during the One Year War from during 0079 toward the end, so essentially it comes after 0079.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 1989 - OVA - 6 Episodes (English Dubbed)
    Like 08th MS Team, 0080 takes place in the point of view of non Newtype characters, except 0080 happens toward the end of the One Year War. 0080 should also be noted for being the first time anyone other than Gundam creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino has been given a chance to direct a Gundam anime.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory - 1991>1992 - OVA - 13 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film
    0083 is very important to watchers of Zeta as it establishes the reason The Titans where created. 0083 also has it's own compilation film titled "The Last Blitz of Zeon" with a running time of 2 hours. This compilation film has not been released in English.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 1985>1986 - 2nd Series - 50 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film x3 (Undubbed)
    Zeta serves as a sequel to Mobile Suit Gundam, happening 7 years after The One Year War, and 4 years after Stardust Memory.
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was compiled into 3 films in 2005. These films contain mostly new footage and use relativly modern technology compared to it's 1985 source material. This has not been dubbed into English. These compilation films should also not be considered canon, as they contradict events in Zeta's sequel, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - 1986>1987 - 3rd Series - 47 Episodes (Undubbed)
    ZZ is a definite sequel to Zeta Gundam, wrapping up loose events in Zeta. ZZ has yet to see a dub.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack - 1988 - Film - 2 Hours (English Dubbed)
    Char's Counterattack serves as the culmination of events in 0079 and Zeta. It concludes the 14 year rivalry between Char Aznable and Amuro Ray, so it's an essential watch in the UC timeline.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 2010>2014 - OVA - 7 Episodes (English Dubbed)
    The events of Unicorn occur 3 years after Char's Counterattack.

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 - 1991 - Film - 1 Hour,55 Minutes (English Dubbed)
    F91 happens 30 years after Char's Counterattack, as Yoshiyuki Tomino wanted to start a completely new series. Therefore watching this before anything prior will not yield spoilers. F91 was originally scheduled to be a series of it's own before it was turned into a film.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - 1993>1994 - 4th Series - 51 Episodes (Undubbed)
    Victory Gundam happens 30 or so years after F91. Therefore watching Victory will not have any impact on any prior Gundam anime.
    Victory has not been dubbed. It should also be noted for being the longest running mainstream Gundam anime, spanning 51 episodes.

Future Century - FC

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - 1994>1995 - 5th Series - 49 Episodes (English Dubbed)
    Here we take a large turn for something new, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, which (considering the other Alternate Universe titles take some kind of inspiration from 0079) has to be the most unique AU anime produced. G Gundam was created to commemorate the 15th Anniversary of the Gundam franchise.
    There are several things to be noted for G Gundam. First of all, the English dubbed version changes the names of several units around. This was done so model kit sales (or rather, toy sales) would appeal more to younger audiences. Names such as God Gundam and Devil Gundam have been changed to Burning Gundam and Dark Gundam, respectively.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam is known as Mobile Fighting Legend G Gundam in Japan.

After Colony - AC

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - 1996 - 6th Series - 49 Episodes (English Dubbed)
    Though Gundam Wing has changed much of what fans might consider "Gundam" it stays true to it's Real Robot origins. This is evident, as Gundam Wing is loosely based on Gundam 0079. Much unlike any prior anime, Gundam Wing's character designs are in "Bishounen" style, which means they're handsome young men, which was popular with other anime at the time.
    Gundam Wing was known as New Mobile Report Gundam Wing in Japan.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz - 1997 - OVA (3 Episodes, English Dubbed) - Film (90 Minutes, English Dubbed)
    Endless Waltz is the sequel of Gundam Wing. Originally released in Japan as New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz as a 3 Episode OVA. It was later edited together as a film with added footage and an alternate theme song.

After War - AW

After War Gundam X - 1996 - 7th Series - 39 Episodes (Undubbed)
    Despite the title "After War", Gundam X is not at all related to the wars in any previous Gundam anime. This would be the third alternate universe show, and the first and only other to have a Newtype character. Gundam X was also very unpopular with Japanese fans, finally resulting in only 39 episodes.
    It is known as Mobile New Century Gundam X in Japan.

Correct Century - CC

Turn A Gundam - 1999 - 8th Series - 50 Episodes (Undubbed)
    Created after Yoshiyuki Tomino's bout with depression had ended in 1999. So far, the only AU created by Yoshiyuki Tomino.
    It also has a much lighter tone than his previous works. Turn A Gundam's title is stylized as ∀ Gundam.
    It's also noted for officially bridging prior seasons together to form a history.

Cosmic Era - CE

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - 2002>2003 - 9th Series - 50 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film x3
    SEED is the first Gundam anime to see digital editing. It's been directed closely to appeal to younger audiences, and it captures many elements from the original Gundam anime. There is also a 51st Episode titled "After Phase - Between the Stars", which has not seen an english dub.
    SEED has 3 Compilation Films known as "Special Edition" with various changes.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - 2004-2005 - 10th Searies - 50 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film x4
    SEED's sequel, happening 2 years after SEED's events. It has 4 Compilation Films, but these film are seen from the perspective of another character.
    Destiny's final episode has seen an edit, and is known as "Final Plus", which has numerous explanations on events of the series as well as various changes, and a longer battle.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer - 2006 - OVA - 3 Episodes (Undubbed)
    Stargazer is an OVA, consisting of 3 episodes, which where later edited into one short film.

Anno Domini - AD

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - 2007>2009 - 11th Series - 50 Episodes (English Dubbed) - Compilation Film x3
    00 was split between 2 seasons, each comprising of 25 episodes, so thus Gundam 00 makes for the 11th and 12th Seasons.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer - 2010 - Film - (129 Minutes, English Dubbed)
    Trailblazer happens 2 years directly after the second season of 00 and concludes the series.

Advanced Generation - AGE

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - 2011>2012 - 12th Series - 49 Episodes (Undubbed)

Regild Century

Gundam Reconguista in G - 2014>2015 - 13th Series - 26 Episodes (Undubbed)

Post Disaster

Mobile Suit Gundam - Iron-Blooded Orphans - 2015>2016 - 14th Series

Build Fighters

Gundam Build Fighters - 2013>2014 - Television Series (No Dub)

Build Fighters happens in a real world setting as opposed to the hard science fiction setting Gundam usually has.
    Players build Gunpla and fight one another in the spirit of competition.

Honestly, it's best for new watchers to familiarize themselves with older franchise entries to enjoy this best, but it's not necessary.

Gundam Build Fighters Try - 2014>2015 - Television Series (No Dub)
    Build Fighters' sequel. Occurs 7 years after it's predecessor.
    Last edited by Shin Starlord; March 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM.

ありがとう( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

Gundam ZZ is said to have been dubbed. However, the dub is horrible, lol.
    Anime is for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Ume View Post
    ありがとう( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
    どういたしまして.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathscythe! View Post
    Gundam ZZ is said to have been dubbed. However, the dub is horrible, lol.
    Is it an official licensed dub by Ocean Group or a Hong Kong bootleg? If it is official, I will include it.

That I am unaware of, unfortunately. :C
    Anime is for kids

Who watches dubbed anyway? (´・Д・)」

I know many that do.
    Anime is for kids

Well... if you watch the dubbed version of the MSG Films... Bright has an interesting British Accent, and Sayla has a very cute Spanish Accent.
    It's interesting to watch, in the least. It gives you a good idea of how foreign characters would speak.

I simply included (English Dubbed) and (Undubbed) for those looking to buy these on DVD instead of downloading torrents or watching online.

Who watches dubbed anyway? (´・Д・)」
    well sometimes when I'm watching Gundam wing I watch It in English for nostalgia purposes that and Stardust Memories

I tease! But personally I prefer it as close to the original as possible. That and as a japanese learner i benefit from listening (^◇^)

I tease! But personally I prefer it as close to the original as possible. That and as a japanese learner i benefit from listening (^◇^)
    Well, watching Gundam in English has availed me a lot. At first, watching G Gundam (the first English show I had ever viewed) I comprehended little. I and my abilities have certainly improved since then. EXTREMELY IMPROVED.

Furthermore, German DUB FAILS at everything.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4576475/...d_Folge_46_1_3

Would you allot such a "kind voice" to Rau le creuset ? (person speaking at the beginning)

And yeah, that's me commenting on the video via facebook.
    Anime is for kids

So I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam right now, is it advisable to watch MS igloo after it or I just save it for last?
    I collect: High Grade, SD, Transformers , Figma, Nendoroid, SH Figuarts

"I eat, watch movies, and sleep! A TRUE MAN NEEDS NOTHING ELSE!"
    Genjuro Kazanari
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/kotori_sonoda/

You may watch MS IGLOO or the 08th MS team subsequently for it doesn't make any difference what you watch next.
    Anime is for kids

Never seen IGLOO but i TOTALLY Reccomend you watch 8th MS Team! Its da bomb! in a VERY good way

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Update: I've included G Gundam and Gundam Wing. I don't know if it's necessary though... I mean only the UC really requires a reading list. Then again I feel that this is needed so nobody gets confused if they've seen something like Gundam Wing and wonder if that belongs in the UC.

I need some confirmation on Endless Waltz OVA. Are the 3 episodes english dubbed?