Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 32 12345611 ... LastLast

Question The Airbrush question thread. Ask questions here and not in a new thread.

Using the Directory
    The directory lists each page number and the general topics on each page. Use the control + f feature and enter a keyword to see if it was covered!

Directory
    Airbrush Introduction, Maintenance, Cleaning, Colors, Thinning
    What You Need To Get Started Airbrushing
    Common Airbrush Problems and Solutions

Plamo Tsukurou- Camouflage and Rust
    Basecoats and Shading
    Pre-Shading

Page 2- Enamels, Filters, Future, Isopropyl Alcohol, Primer, Spray Booths, Vallejo Paints
    Page 3- Gundam color, Lacquer Top Coat, Markers, Moisture Trap, Panel Line Wash, Pressure Regulator, Workshops
    Page 4- Cheaper airbrushes, Moisture Trap, Needle Size, Regulator, Tank, TCP Global, Thinning, Trigger technique, Vallejo Primer
    Page 5- Chinese airbrushes, Iwata, Moisture Trap, Paasche, Pressure Gauge, Tank Compressor

Cleaning Your Airbrush
    A subscriber recently uploaded a really nice video that I wanted to share here. If a double action brush scares the crap out of you, don't fret. They are really easy to work with, and single action brushes (mine is SA) are even easier than this. Remember that lube helps to prevent tip dry! Oh the enemy TD! I'll post more vids and comments as I come across them to help folks.

Last edited by Jfl0; May 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM.

Administrator
    Thank you so much for posting this. As a future Airbrush user, this is super helpful. Hey Mods! Sticky this!!!
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Vallejo ? How come I didn't come across a Vallejo product, working for my local hobby store for 2 weeks ?
    Anime is for kids

Cause they don't stock them? They have a good colour range and don't cost much for the amount you get.

I'm aware of Vallejo, but have yet to see any in the United States.

Only place to get them in the States is online. I order mine through www.spruebrothers.com, who seem to have a healthy stock of them minus the big bottle of black primer. It's been sold out for months and still hasn't been restocked, haha. Haven't tried their airbrushing line yet, but I've used their Model Color line (meant for handpainting) with the AB with good results.

I've been looking for Mr. Surfacer everywhere- I see that stuff all the time on Youtube and I want a big bottle of it so I can spray it through my airbrush. Can't find it in the US.

Super Moderator
    You should check gundam hobby stores. R4L, GundamPlanet, Image Anime, Model Grade, Hobbywave, etc they all sell it. I buy it in bulk when i run out. lol

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

Thanks for posting all the helpful info Jfl0!
    I just got my beginner setup all together and going this week. I went with a good airbrush and a cheapo compressor. I got an Iwata Revolution CR and the 1/8 HP Airbrush compressor from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eig...sor-93657.html

I have no complaints about this compressor so far. I can get lots of free polystyrene and polypro from work (I work at a print shop where we print UV ink on it) so I've been getting some practice on that. I've started out with Tamiya acrylics which have been working just fine so far. I've been thinning it with 99% isopropyl or denatured alcohol and getting good results. The LHS guy claims they had Tamiya thinner analysed and it is nothing but denatured alcohol with a jacked up price. I don't know him well enough to believe it as fact but it works so far.
    When you prime your model before painting with acrylics by airbrush, what primer do you use? Does anyone use the Tamiya Liquid surface primer G? Would I need to thin this with lacquer thinner? Does anybody use an acrylic based primer? I'm wondering what the most common primer people use before airbrushing acrylics.

Friggin sweet. I helped someone!

Funky color on the compressor, but it seems like you got a good deal on a diaphragm if it is working for ya. Looks like it has a trap and everything. Crap I'm kinda jelly I paid more *laughs*. I have only one word of caution against using Isopropyl: it dries acrylics much faster than water or distilled water. Be careful on that note. Thanks for the note on Tamiya thinner- I'd believe it, but isopropyl works just as well cleaning out my brush of acrylics.

While I love to paint with enamels, with my current shop situation it is easier to work with acrylics. They are monster easy to clean through the brush. I bought a paasche 1oz cup at Hobby Lobby because it was similar to my badger 1 oz cup and yep, the cap to my badger cup fits the paasche. I use the paasche cup as my rinse cup. I fill it with whatever cleaning agent, disconnect the paint cup from my airbrush (keep the cap in), screw in the paasche cup and spray it through to an old t-shirt. Works wonderfully.

I actually use paint as a primer. Paint always adheres better when the surface has been prepared with sanding or a similar process. I do not use the Tamiya primer, but I have used "primer" color from Testors with good success. Someone somewhere else on the forums suggested primer as a main color, but I recommend against it as primer exposed to air for too long will discolor, like a bad super nintendo. I have used an acrylic based primer with success.

I have not attempted a laquer or enamel based primer then painting acrylics. I am not sure what would happen. Whitehall Michigan? we go through there on our way to family outside of Detroit coming from Illinois. I used to live a bit of a ways from a Whitehall PA too. Go figure.

@Squee: I will check. I had no clue they could ship this. I lurve you in a non-sexual manner.

I've used Vallejo acrylic primer through an AB before and it works just fine. I've also used Duplicolor sandable primer and didn't notice a difference. Primer is primer as they say so there's no real advantage between acrylic, lacquer, or enamel. Pick which one you can get easily at cheap prices and go to town. I have used Tamiya Liquid Surface primer, but only to remove fine scratches from a surface and even then I applied with a brush.

I have a few more questions now that I've gotten deeper into airbrushing.
    I've been building a MG Zaku II (1.0) and have glued parts together, added putty to seams, and sanded everything to get it smoothed out. I decided to airbrush on some Vallejo acrylic paint thinned with water as primer. It worked pretty well for this purpose because it allowed me to see if I got all the seams and imperfections smoothed out. I let the paint dry for 24+ hrs before doing any of this work. One thing I noticed is that the paint scratches off fairly easy with my nail and will rub off at joints where 2 parts rub together. I don't really mind so much just because it's only primer. Is this normal? I'm assuming when I'm all done a clear/top coat will make it more scratch resistant. Am I correct in thinking this or am I doing something wrong? Will Future work as a clear coat to protect the paint or would I need to use something else?