Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Hmmm, that link you posted earlier may be your best option for that budget. Anything else may go $100 or more, like the ones in this link:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdkitG23.aspx
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

I would take this over the other one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Perform...ush+compressor

The other one runs off a 12VDC adapter. I would rather have the true 110VAC one. You'll also need one of this no matter which one you choose:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrus...+moisture+trap
    Last edited by Wiz33; July 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM.

Folks might disagree with me, but you pay for what you get. My setup runs at the cost of $180. You'll also need a regulator/moisture trap. If those compressors don't have a regulator I'd stay far away.

@Jfl0,

I'm agreeing with you. It's tough getting a decent (meaning it won't constantly give you problems) AB setup for less than $75. Quality AB's that give you stress-free operation are at least $55, compressor with regulator about the same (if not more), then all of the accessories like hoses, adapters, and lube.

It's a good starter to go for the cheapest option, but at the same time, it may turn you off if you keep encountering issues (such as an AB that keeps clogging or leaks air, or a compressor that overheats too often) that could have been avoided with a bit more funds.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

I agree also but you can get a decent tankless setup for under $100 with Airbrush. moisture trap/Reg and hose like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrus...ush+compressor
    Last edited by Wiz33; July 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM.

One of the better deals out there and should be the one to aim for. Paying extra does give noticeable dividends when it comes to an AB setup.

Being able to expand on it (new AB and new compressor, while retaining the hoses and adapters) makes it all the better.

That Master airbrush compressor looks like the same one that Harbor Freight carries only different colors. You can get one that I'm pretty sure is the same for $70 when they are on sale. No postage/shipping if you have one nearby as well. I've had good luck with it so far.
    I went the cheap route with the compressor but I got a Iwata Revolution CR as my AB. It's pretty much entry level after the Neo as far as Iwata goes. I'm glad I got a little bit more expensive AB. It's pretty easy maintenance. The only thing that gunks it up and requires me to take it apart is when I shoot Future through it. Most of the time I get away with only spraying and back washing some lacquer thinner (or windex/isopropyl depending on pain used) in between use to clean it out. I'm pretty amazed how long it takes before it starts clogging and requires a more thorough cleaning. I'm guessing the cheaper ABs require more maintenance so for me it was worth the extra $$. I guess I shouldn't promote bad AB maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    I agree also but you can get a decent tankless setup for under $100 with Airbrush. moisture trap/Reg and hose like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrus...ush+compressor
    Thanks this does look like a good deal, especially with the Prime shipping. I don't want to spend too much because there may be a chance that I end up not airbrushing as much as I'd like and I feel this would be a good setup for a beginner like me. And if I do get into it in the future and have funds, I could upgrade.

Also have a harborfreight nearby, but I checked their online store and found the compressor + AB kit which runs for about 80something bucks.

Super Moderator
    If you do buy that set, be prepared to upgrade your airbrush sometime in the future. While Master airbrushes are decent brushes, they often break easily. My friend picked up that set 2 months ago and he has already tossed the brush as the needle packing has deteriorated, and buying a new one would be cheaper then getting it fixed.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

So this pertains sorta to the harbor freight compressor. I have a coupon for 20% off any item, but the fine print excludes use on compressors or used in conjunction with other discounts. Anyone who has used these coupons in the past, have you ever run into a problem with getting the 20% off sale items or ab compressors?

You can actually get a airbrush rebuild kit from TCPglobal for $10 for the Master. I had mine for a while now and it's still working fine. Just make sure you clean it good after use. That said, an spare airbrush is always handy. I had a olde Paasche so it was not a problem. But start with the Master and then if you decide to stay in the hobby, you can always pick up a name brand later on.

I second that notion. A Master AB is what got me started with my airbrushing. Granted, the poor thing only lasted a year, but by then I already bought an Iwata and a Badger.

Not a requirement, of course, but it's a viable option for those on a budget or unsure of whether to pursue it further.

I've got no paint coming out of my airbrush. Any help would be appreciated.

-thoroughly cleaned three times
    -properly thinned and mixed paint
    -no obstructions
    -needle lubed and clean
    -air line tight and secure
    -vent hole in cup open
    -sprays water and cleaner perfectly

???

Badger (through an FAQ) indicates that the airbrush is broken and needs service. I am going to be a very, very nasty camper if I have to get this brush repaired again. It means I am out of any painting for WEEKS to a MONTH.
    Last edited by Jfl0; August 12, 2013 at 5:59 AM.

I've figured out what is going on here.

It's massive tip dry. Literally the SECOND I begin painting it clogs up immediately. The brush sprays cleaner and water just fine. Paint? no matter what you do to it, game over. It doesn't stick to the needle. It doesn't clog inside. It builds up in the nozzle and starts on the exterior, then moves inwards.

There is a dehumidifier in the basement. Dehumidifiers take moisture out of the air. My parents have it down there "because the basement stinks". Sounds like a mold problem they deny they have. I bet it has a lot to do with the flooding that occured a year ago and they refuse to face the reality that the carpet has to come up.

It will be impossible to paint acrylics with a dehumidifier running, and to my amusement, I shut it down when I want to watch TV down there because it is noisy. It brings humidity down from 80% to 45% normally, but if it isn't running for a while it goes back up to 80%.

This dehumid is a BEAST. it can suck a ton of water out of the air. If I leave it off for a time I betcha later today painting will be a hell of a lot easier. I am going to be yelled at up and down. We have a humidifier I can begin running in the shop, but I am worried that running it down there where the HVAC is will suck all of the moisture into the circulation system and not where I want it. Humidity is currently at 73% outside. I bet if I were to paint out there with the mosquitos I wouldn't have a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehumidifier

Im getting conflicting reports on the internet. Someone please explain to me the relationship between humidity and airbrushing. No one on the internet is giving a straight answer.