Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Seems like you are paying a lot for stuff you really don't need. Not sure why they included spray paints in an airbrush package.

The compressor looks good. It's a tank compressor. As for the airbrushes.... I can't speak for them.
    Last edited by Jfl0; April 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM.

I know that but it's the only one that was only ebay that I could find.

The first one is for tanning places so it comes with paint. Not for models. The Second one looks good. If you were willing to pay the price of the first link then you should get the second link and this also.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-a...item2c6a786a46

As to the quality of the airbrush. I did not get that particular one with my kit (see the link to TCPglobal), but mine is also a cheap Chinese made one also. Mine works just as well as my $100 Paasche. It actually allow me to run at a lower pressure being a gravity feed vs the my Paasche's siphon feed so it's now my primary airbrush. I know a lot of people swears by getting a brand name one with life time warranty (that's why I got the Paasche back a long time ago) but one thing they don't mention is that you have to send it in and you'll be without a airbrush in the meantime. With the cheap brands, if it breaks, I just order another and have it in 2 days. If you can find their local agent in the UK, you can get a repair kit for like $10 which includes all the parts that would wear out over time.
    Last edited by Wiz33; April 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    Is this the one you're using now:

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/produ...le-action/h-1l

This is like the first one I had a long time ago before I move to double action. If you have no problem with water, try thinning your primer a bit more and see.
    Yup, that's what I have. It's my first airbrush, so I'm still getting used to it. I just bought this regulator/moisture trap: http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Compr...sure+regulator

Clearly not ridiculously high-end but I think it'll get the job done for a beginner like me, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FinneganBojangles View Post
    Yup, that's what I have. It's my first airbrush, so I'm still getting used to it. I just bought this regulator/moisture trap: http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Compr...sure+regulator

Clearly not ridiculously high-end but I think it'll get the job done for a beginner like me, right?
    That should work perfectly fine. That should remove all moisture in your air line. But do try thinning your primer a bit more and see if you get better result.

Easy stuff that you can do once you can operate your airbrush

This guy is good. I didn't like the result of his pastel weathering but I did like his airbrush work... a lot. Maybe I'll try some rust in the future on another PG. Anyone else notice the Zeon flag?

A directory has been added to the OP, detailing major topics on each page for easier searches.
    Last edited by Jfl0; May 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Administrator
    So I have read through this thread and I have learned a lot. I have also done research elsewhere and I have decided that when I get my air brush going here soon I'm going to use Tamiya acrylics as my base colors. Simply because it seems like Tamiya really goes out of the way to simplify things for air brush users. Mainly their labeled mixing jars.

But here is my question. I read on Tamiya's own website that you can thin their acrylics with either the Acrylic thinner (X-20A) or their lacquer thinner (X-20?). They claim that the ratio is 2 parts paint, 1 part acrylic thinner. It says that the lacquer thinner will give the base a much more durable shell and is good for those who like sanding. So, would the ratio of the lacquer thinner be the same? 2:1? And would that make the acrylic base more resilient to a lacquer clear coat? I ask cause it would seem that most companies have done away with all their clear coats except for the lacquer based. So I will most likely use acrylics for base colors, lacquer for clear coats, and enamel for details and lining. If anyone can answer these it would be a great help and put me one step closer to getting my air brush set going. Thanks guys.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Tamiya acrylics is very forgiving when it comes to being thinned regardless of thinner so that ratio should work just fine. Some modelers say it's better to have it really thin opposed to not as thin.

I can't say much about using lacquer thinner though. Haven't tried it myself, but I don't see how an acrylic can become tougher by using a tougher solvent-based thinner.

In regards to lacquer clear coats, I've experimented before with Testors brand lacquer gloss (the canned stuff) on some spoons handpainted with Vallejo paints with no primer underneath. I let them sit for a few days before spraying the clear coat and the paint was completely unaffected. If you let the paint cure long enough (a week perhaps), you should be able to spray on a lacquer clear coat freely. As usual, though, it's best to experiment first.

Are you planning on using the AB to apply clear coats too? If so, Alclad makes a really good acrylic clear coat.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Administrator
    I had considered it. If that is the case then I might try out some of Alclad's stuff. As for the lacquer thinner, that's just what Tamiya's website says. I posted the article below.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=606
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Yeah, I read that article too and I'm thinking of trying it on their metallics since the normal thinner seems to be weak on them.

I think it would be a good experiment for you to try out their paints with the acrylic thinner and lacquer thinner, then compare to see which one you like more. Supposedly, the lacquer thinner doesn't dry as quickly so it levels out more.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

A lot of times I use generic lacquer thinner to thin my Tamiya acrylics. Denatured/90% alcohol works well but I prefer the lacquer thinner. It's probably just a personal preference but I prefer the lacquer thinner. The Tamiya acrylic thinner is mostly alcohol with a bit of a leveling agent that slows drying from what I've been told. I think the lacquer is also mostly regular lacquer thinner with a drying retardant to help the leveling. Mr. Color thinner (lacquer) also works pretty well with Tamiya acrylics. I've actually never used the Tamiya brand thinner as the local hobby store told me to just use generic lacquer thinner or alcohol.
    Alcad metallic colors are awesome to AB with. I just got some Alcad Dull cote I haven't tried yet.
    Last edited by Brotzmann; May 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM.

I am looking into getting an airbrush, but don't want to shell out too much just in case I don't get into painting hardcore. Would this be something good to start off with and continue using as I get better?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrus...words=airbrush

Or should I just fork over what little money I do have and buy a better machine?

Thanks!

How much is your limit? Also, are you looking into an all-in-one package? If so, there are some good options mentioned in earlier posts.
    Last edited by Dlinker; July 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM.

Well for right now, anything below 75 would be feasible. And yes an all-in-one if you mean compressor + airbrush.