Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Topic

Re: The Car Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Okiera29 View Post
    Have to say taht I love my 91 E30 328, even though it is a slush box that leaks like a sieve. My wife drives it too, so it has to stay an auto. Eventually, I would love a E30 Sedan with a 5 speed. Funny though, every E30 straight six I have ever heard, sounds like a diesel for some reason
    They do really. Hell some of the E36's I've heard sound like that as well. Honestly I'd love an E30, E36 or E46 with a six. Hell I'd even take one of the Diesel's I've heard good thing about some of Beemer's Diesels that if the option came up and it was the only one really I'd probably take it. (Plus I'm not as against diesel autombiles as allot of Americans seem to be most of whom I hear go 'Fer pick 'em ups and semi's only')

Something exciting for a few people:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied...pr=18332466311

The new, what is likely Supra/BMW Z5 has been spotted in the wild. And thankfully it looks, at least under all this camo, very little like the FT-1.

A new Supra? That's awesome! I think it's great that someone at Toyota is thinking of bringing back the Supra badge. You know that's got me thinking, between the newly restyled Mazda MX-5 (and the rumored next-gen RX) and this new Supra, I wonder how Honda will respond? Maybe they'll revive the S2000.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Maybe. There were plans for a successor, but they were scrapped between the S2000's sales dropping off and the economy being weak at the time. There's been allot of rumors lately that there is one in the works, honestly it wouldn't suprise me, the NSX is done and ready to but heads with the GTR, and whatever Mazda and Toyota bring out (the RX is looking more and more likely and if rumors are right both will, like the NSX use some form of hybird powertrains). They've also said that they want to bring out more sports oriented cars, which is evident between the NSX, Civic Type-R, and the S660 which is quite a fleshed out line-up, but it's missing something on the cheaper more affordable focused sports car end.

Granted I hope they do what they did last time and don't completely gun for the Miata, and keep it a bit bigger, a little more expensive and kind of it's own thing that while similar feels...different. I don't really think they should try and gun completely for the Miata or the FR-S but gun somewhere between them and the Z like the S2000 ended up doing, it did well in it's Niche, I think they could do it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more news, might be interesting to some:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/09/here-s-our-best-look-yet-at-the-mid-engine-corvette.html

Mid Engined corvette sightings, or what is assumed to be the fabled Unicorn that has been the Mid Engined Corvette, something spanning decades at this point, but this looks more concrete than ever.

There's a few rumors swirling arround that this may be a new Cadillac super car (are the finally getting around to a Cien?), or will also be spun into one. There's also the popular belief that Corvette will be spun further into a sub brand soon, and the C7, and other front engine cars will continue on, which makes sense as it keeps the entry price down, and that is one of the things that moves so many, plus they do allot with the Corvette like that (can also keep it so they can put both into motorsports and maybe dominate multiple classes? Just a thought honestly, though the Mid ship is probably gonna take the focus in GTpro and GT-1). Also something to keep in mind, and take this with a BIG grain of salt is that people claiming to work at Bowling Green have said that they already have the tooling to make this thing in place and a whole new factory to do it in at the complex it's just being, for the moment officially listed as the new paint department. It also kind of, if true, lends to the thought many people have about Corvette becoming a subbrand (more than it already is, because it's always felt a bit distinct from the rest of Chevy), as they still have everything in place for the other cars.

On a completely different topic... I think I found my track car. Out driving around this past weekend and stumbled across a 5 speed E30 just rotting away. I spotted this lot a long time ago when I used to chase storms in our helicopter. I have bought some parts off of some of the other cars this guy has. He is an old coot, who believes this pile will be his 'retirement' Unfortunately for the old coot, nothing he has is worth that much as most have been sitting out exposed to the elements. There are some cool cars there though. A couple of 82 Supras, 1st gen Civic wagon and a few others. Should be able to pick the E30 up for scrap price.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/maz...er-to-hybrids/

Well the RX-9 isn't happening despite Mazda's CEO's seeming enthusiasm about the subject earlier.

Instead rotary is going to be relegated to range extending tech... Well RIP any hope of Rotary sports cars coming back. I guess he didn't lie when he said rotary devlopment would continue, it's just continuing in a way no one asked for.

>inb4reliablitycomments

- - - Updated - - -

On one hand I can understand it, the money from the thing isn't there. Most of the people clammoring for it are RX-7 fanboys, and the market is a bit stiff so if they did cock it up, they'd get buried over the proven R35, the new NSX, and the coming BMW-Toyota devloped probably the Supra but who knows what it'll be called...car.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeon's RedComet View Post
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/maz...er-to-hybrids/

Well the RX-9 isn't happening despite Mazda's CEO's seeming enthusiasm about the subject earlier.

Instead rotary is going to be relegated to range extending tech... Well RIP any hope of Rotary sports cars coming back. I guess he didn't lie when he said rotary devlopment would continue, it's just continuing in a way no one asked for.

>inb4reliablitycomments

- - - Updated - - -

On one hand I can understand it, the money from the thing isn't there. Most of the people clammoring for it are RX-7 fanboys, and the market is a bit stiff so if they did cock it up, they'd get buried over the proven R35, the new NSX, and the coming BMW-Toyota devloped probably the Supra but who knows what it'll be called...car.
    Well... $#!+.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

That's to bad. I'm not an RX-7 fanboy, but i did love the body style of the last few years. They looked like a baby Viper. But still a new Supra! cool, the only problem is that it will most likely be way out of the price range for normal guys like us to by. It will be up there with the NSX and what not. close to if not a 6 figure car.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    That's to bad. I'm not an RX-7 fanboy, but i did love the body style of the last few years. They looked like a baby Viper. But still a new Supra! cool, the only problem is that it will most likely be way out of the price range for normal guys like us to by. It will be up there with the NSX and what not. close to if not a 6 figure car.
    Probably depends on BMW, and how similar the supra is to it's platform mate the Z5. Seeing as the Z5 is supposed to be the replacement, and the Z4 goes from about 50K to the mid 60K range, it could slot in there. Granted they could share a platform and little else. Could be that the supra could be a range instead of one base model and working from there, there are hybird rumors already those same rumors also make it seem like it could be seprate so the big number car would be separate from the more affordable option. I guess it also depends on what type of car the Z5 will be beyond their new roadster could be that acrossed the board it's more performance oriented. (Seeing as they said no M version could mean that it is which means bigger price, as a base)

On a racing note, Nico Rosberg won his first Formula 1 World Championship in Abu Dhabi and since decided that he will retire from racing. Now this opens up two things: 1) There will be no defending World Champion on the circuit, so the 2017 World Championship is up for grabs for anyone; 2) There will be an open slot on the Mercedes AMG Formula 1 team.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

So that's who has been calling me. LOL Wasn't sure why Mercedes was calling.......

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    So that's who has been calling me. LOL Wasn't sure why Mercedes was calling.......
    However, the predicament that Mercedes AMG faces is this: do you sign on a seasoned veteran, or do bring up a rookie you've been building up for the past few years? In a "two-cars-per-team" racing system, it is best if you have one veteran and one rookie. Two veterans means that it's harder for the rookies you've been training in the lower leagues to move up the proverbial ladder, while conversely two rookies means that you have young untested talent driving your top of the line racing vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were the Mercedes AMG team manager, I would bring up a rookie to compliment the seasoned veteran that is Lewis Hamilton.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

I don't follow F1 really but I'm with you I'd put in a rookie, Hamilton isn't getting any younger (not that he's that old mind you, he still has a good amount of career in front of him) so preparing for the future is smart now. Gives them more than enough time to groom another champion, just makes the most sense to me, give your self someone to make an ace in the hole later.

Exactly! It makes much more sense to move up a rookie from the lower leagues (like the GP2 series) into Mercedes AMG's open slot.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

https://drivetribe.com/p/TDjcZs4sTk2...TZatu8FByYr4LQ

Well it seems Aston Martin wants in on what Jag did with the building the 'Missing' E-type racers, and is gonna be building some 'New' DB4s.

So if you want a DB4 (and if you don't you're a sad individual and I no longer wish to speak with you) now is you chance to buy one of 25 new hand built ones. Of course, if you have the US or wherever you hail from, equivalent of a few million pounds sitting around.

I think it's neat. I love to see projects like this, if only for the hand built nature, and large companies undertaking them. Honestly I doubt this would of happened if Ford still owned either company (Honestly one thing I like about tata owning Jag is they just let them do whatever), so good on you economic collapse of 08.