Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 154 of 157 FirstFirst ... 54104144149150151152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2354
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Paint/Topcoat Thread. This is where to ask questions. NOT new threads.

Cool thanks. This stuff is already thin and I don't want to make it any worse than it already it. Purple power it is then. Thanks all.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Mr. Color Paints

Maybe someone can settle this once and for all...I keep finding conflicting information online and none of the hobby stores here in Japan speak English...

Mr. Color...is it acrylic or solvent/lacquer? I havenít used it yet, but Iíve got tons of bottles I found at a recycling shop and some I picked up from the hobby store...and when I open them up, that stuff is pretty gnarly smelling, so Iím assuming solvent...

Also tips for using it with an airbrush...Iím finishing up building my first ever spray booth and then Iím gonna work on some HGís I got on sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I paint Citadel Acrylic paints directly onto Gundam kits for small detail painting (like instead of stickers)? Or, do you have to prime before you use Citadel Acrylic paints?

Thanks

SG

Re: Mr. Color Paints

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy0329 View Post
    Maybe someone can settle this once and for all...I keep finding conflicting information online and none of the hobby stores here in Japan speak English...

Mr. Color...is it acrylic or solvent/lacquer? I haven’t used it yet, but I’ve got tons of bottles I found at a recycling shop and some I picked up from the hobby store...and when I open them up, that stuff is pretty gnarly smelling, so I’m assuming solvent...

Also tips for using it with an airbrush...I’m finishing up building my first ever spray booth and then I’m gonna work on some HG’s I got on sale...

As far as I know they are lacquer. To thin for the AB I would advise getting the Tamiya Lacquer. It is a better quality of lacquer than the big can of lacquer thinner you can get at a home store. The cheap stuff is good for cleaning but for use in the painting I would use the good filtered stuff. Now I have not use Mr. Color I have Tamiya so there might be a difference I don't thing there is but either way the Tamiya lacquer thinner is very high quality stuff.

Re: How do you paint?

Just a few questions regarding paint brushes and air- compressors etc,etc. I decided to combine them into a single post if thats ok.
    First paint brushes, I did some readings around on some spare time and it seems like I'm supposed to purchase $5+ artificial tipped brushes in 1,2,3, 0 ,00,000 sizes?, I'm mainly planning to use the brushes to paint detail parts so which should I actually get?

- I somehow managed to get gifted a bunch of airbrushes,compressor, and a whole bunch of acrylic paint that REFUSES to stick onto plastic (folkart) it literally creates this film around the part that peels off when touched. Should I scrap the paint and use it for some art projects or is there a way to save the 20+ bottles?

-The compressor broke so I bought a $20 compressor on sale in my local hardware store, it literally shakes the ground and deaths calls my ear-drums every time it sucks in air. Since I don't have a proper setup, I do airbrushing outside. Recommendations, summer is hot btw.

-Also, MegaSize Rx-78 yesyes? or naw man...?

First time posting, and coming back into gundam since junior high?hahaha. This seems to be a pretty active forum, Nice to Meet You and Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by yumin View Post
    Just a few questions regarding paint brushes and air- compressors etc,etc. I decided to combine them into a single post if thats ok.
    First paint brushes, I did some readings around on some spare time and it seems like I'm supposed to purchase $5+ artificial tipped brushes in 1,2,3, 0 ,00,000 sizes?, I'm mainly planning to use the brushes to paint detail parts so which should I actually get?

- I somehow managed to get gifted a bunch of airbrushes,compressor, and a whole bunch of acrylic paint that REFUSES to stick onto plastic (folkart) it literally creates this film around the part that peels off when touched. Should I scrap the paint and use it for some art projects or is there a way to save the 20+ bottles?

-The compressor broke so I bought a $20 compressor on sale in my local hardware store, it literally shakes the ground and deaths calls my ear-drums every time it sucks in air. Since I don't have a proper setup, I do airbrushing outside. Recommendations, summer is hot btw.

-Also, MegaSize Rx-78 yesyes? or naw man...?

First time posting, and coming back into gundam since junior high?hahaha. This seems to be a pretty active forum, Nice to Meet You and Thank You!
    Probably sounds silly, but are your using primer or spraying directly onto the plastic? Washing the parts thoroughly with mild soap? Thatís all Incan think of to try and save the paint and not waste the money spent buying it...

As for brushes, I donít know about specific sizes, just grabbed a handful of misc sizes but I really donít use them except for weathering...

If you can return the hardware store compressor and can spend a bit more money. Get one of this, a compressor with a tank won't have to run all the time:

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush...ush+compressor

For paint brushes:

https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Detail-P...+paint+brushes

Anyone have a close up side by side of a glass kit vs a matte kit?

I was thinking a gloss finish might make for a better metal look.

Serious question

I want to know what you guys think of this black paint I am working on. I'm going for a matte style almost muster black. Tell me what you think. There is also no primer on the spoons. This is straight to plastic

Administrator

Re: Serious question

I think that's a really cool shade of black. I can tell a slight different between the white and clear spoons, so primer could be needed in the future. But I really like it. What methods are you using to create this?
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    I think that's a really cool shade of black. I can tell a slight different between the white and clear spoons, so primer could be needed in the future. But I really like it. What methods are you using to create this?
    So you probably won't believe this but I am using Apple Barrel Jet Black craft paint, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Liquitex Flow-Aid, and a few drops of retarder. I had absolutely no issues with clogging and the flow was fantastic. I was easily able to spray from PSI ranges of 12-50. I am very happy with the results and I am hoping that the other Apple Barrel paints are this easy to mix.

Administrator

Interesting. How does the paint adhere to the plastic of the spoon once dry? And how durable is it? That could be a very cheap alternative to other base paints.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    Interesting. How does the paint adhere to the plastic of the spoon once dry? And how durable is it? That could be a very cheap alternative to other base paints.
    I will do a few tests when I get home from work today. That will have given the paint a full 18 hours of dry time. I have used Tamiya, Mr. Color, Reaper, Vallejo, AK Games, and countless other brands. I have been experimenting with other paints as well. Liquitex Basics with their airbrush medium has done a phenomenal job and for the price it is great. No issues with durability there either. I will definitely let you know about the durability of the Apple Barrel paints though.

I'm with thwalker13 on this one. I can see how the light is messing with the clear spoon -v- the solid white spoon.
    But that black is really nice. The white spoon almost looks to have a slight texture to it, I like that. Sort of like the radar absorbing material used on the stealth bomber/fighter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gunpla.evolved View Post
    So you probably won't believe this but I am using Apple Barrel Jet Black craft paint, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Liquitex Flow-Aid, and a few drops of retarder. I had absolutely no issues with clogging and the flow was fantastic. I was easily able to spray from PSI ranges of 12-50. I am very happy with the results and I am hoping that the other Apple Barrel paints are this easy to mix.

To answer your question. YES they are good paints and they mix up really well. I use everything from alcohol, or Windex (the store brand with no ammonia) to plain old water.
    I also use the "Americana" collection I have a big jug of the white and the black. They lay down really well and as long as you have a good primer down they are really pretty durable and sandable. You can also mix them together to make all kinds of colors. If you have used mission models they can be mixed with them (to a point) Just think of them as acrylics in concentrated form. But some of the colors the pigments are really big and will clog up your AB if you use too small of a needle. Stay away from the "Metallic" version, I found that out the hard way. The pigments are SO big they just stack up in the AB and don't lay very well when you do get them going. You have to thin them out so much it just isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    I'm with thwalker13 on this one. I can see how the light is messing with the clear spoon -v- the solid white spoon.
    But that black is really nice. The white spoon almost looks to have a slight texture to it, I like that. Sort of like the radar absorbing material used on the stealth bomber/fighter.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your question. YES they are good paints and they mix up really well. I use everything from alcohol, or Windex (the store brand with no ammonia) to plain old water.
    I also use the "Americana" collection I have a big jug of the white and the black. They lay down really well and as long as you have a good primer down they are really pretty durable and sandable. You can also mix them together to make all kinds of colors. If you have used mission models they can be mixed with them (to a point) Just think of them as acrylics in concentrated form. But some of the colors the pigments are really big and will clog up your AB if you use too small of a needle. Stay away from the "Metallic" version, I found that out the hard way. The pigments are SO big they just stack up in the AB and don't lay very well when you do get them going. You have to thin them out so much it just isn't worth it.
    Thanks so much has for the advice. I have been quite lucky with the liquitex Basics Metallics with some alcohol, flow aid, retarder, and airbrush medium. I can make up an actual formula if you like. The only thing I have to say is make sure to mix very very thoroughly or you can get some minor clumping. That is another reasons I use the flow aid as it helps with tension alleviation I also add a few copper head bb's to help mix as well.