Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    You know where to find me, Squeam.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Hey, does anybody know to paint clear parts with acrylic paint? I'm about to paint with the clear jewel and sensor on my MG Wing Gundam and would like some tips and hints on how to paint. Stuff like how many coats, how to get an even coat, and how long to dry. Also, I'll be working in my garage and it is 66 degrees outside.
    It sounds weird, but if you've an airbrush at your disposal you can use Future FLoor Polish with a little food color for this...and Future self-levels, so it's even easier that way!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lupes
    Future Floor Polish with a little food color
    Noted for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by lupes View Post
    It sounds weird, but if you've an airbrush at your disposal you can use Future FLoor Polish with a little food color for this...and Future self-levels, so it's even easier that way!
    Do you think this might work with hand brushing as well, kind of like clear paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Hey, does anybody know to paint clear parts with acrylic paint? I'm about to paint with the clear jewel and sensor on my MG Wing Gundam and would like some tips and hints on how to paint. Stuff like how many coats, how to get an even coat, and how long to dry. Also, I'll be working in my garage and it is 66 degrees outside.
    I know that you can actually buy Model Masters Clear Acrylic paints, I used it on the Trygon Sniper Zaku I did a while back, for the monoeye and sniper scope. Turned out really well.
    check me out on tumblr!!
    http://dogblu.tumblr.com/

You cannot stop Batman. Entire planets have tried. When Batman crosses railroad tracks, the warning lights are for the train's safety. The four fundamental interactions in physics are gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and Batman getting what he wants.

Super Moderator
    I actually have a dual action airbrush. It's older than I am, but it has a new needle.

I just lack an air compressor or paints to use it.
    Attached Images
    YOU JUST MAD CUZ ANGELO BE STYLIN ON YOU, Also OlNems is a bro

A cheap way to use an airbrush without a compressor is that you can actually use an inner tube.

The hoses fit perfectly, and you can control the psi ( sort of).

As for paints, food coloring mixed with future floor wax, or even koolaid with future will work too.

How much did you pay for the airbrush?

Quick newbie question - do you tend to paint individual pieces, some assembled parts, (arms, legs, torso) or the entire assembled model? I'm looking to paint with Citadel acylics, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this. I'm looking at painting the limbs, torso, and head separately, then assembling the model. I'm coming from a Warhammer 40K background, so I'm used to painting complete figures (It's a P.I.T.A.) but I'm thinking that might not work out to well with Gunpla.

Hey I have a question. I want to paint my AGE-1 Normal model but I need to know what type of paint wont cover up the details so I can still do a panel lining.

I use acrylics and they work great i have not tried enamels but i would assume it would be much thicker

model masters and tamiya to be exact

@zappit i paint each piece individually but i guess if you are hand painting it wouldn't really matter but i air brush my pieces individually and hand paint the smaller details

Administrator
    I'm considering getting an airbrush. Since I'm wanting to get into painting a few of my kits. Are they expensive? And what all is required to use one? (total noob when it comes to this subject)

@zappit: One of the things I have observed when jumping from painting miniature figures to Gunpla is the scale. Much more paint is required, with lots more thinning. If you plan to go painting the parts on the runners first, before constructing the Gunpla, I would suggest you use spray cans as it is much easier and much faster than applying by brush. once you start clipping the parts off, you can use the Citadel paints to do touch ups on the nubs, Gundam markers are also good for this as well. But if you have it constructed and just painting them by parts, then I suggest looking into C sectioning, and masking as it may help you.

@TwighlightKing: Any paint can be painted on without covering the panel lines, it just depends on the thinning ratio you use with the particular paint you are using.

@Thwalker13: Glad to see you want to move up to an airbrush for Gunpla. Airbrushes vary in price (between $50 - $500). the cheaper ranged airbrushes are the single action airbrush, while the dual action is in the more expensive range. Since all modellers eventually move up to dual action anyways, I suggest getting a dual action airbrush. Lots of deals can be found on craigslist, etc, for a more affordable airbrush. Before you get one I suggest you read up the differences between single action and dual action airbrushes and how they spray so you have an idea of how they work. There are lots of videos and tutorials about them on youtube. Also when you get your airbrush (pay attention to the diameter of the fluid nozzle) . they usually range from 0.2mm up to 0.8mm ( the max I had every seen). The diameter is important because this number tells you what kind of details you can achieve when you spray. The lower the number, the finer the detail.
    I srpay with two different airbrushes:
    Iwata HP-CH with a 0.3mm diameter fluid nozzle
    Procon boy FWA PS-270 with a 0.2mm diameter fluid nozzle.

After that, the next thing you need is an air compressor. These are a must, as they deliver air at certain pressures to spray paint onto the gunpla. you can get cheaper compressors from the hardware store(prices vary), and quite cheap from craigslist from $50 and up. only drawback is that the more readily available hardware store compressors are very loud. Then there are the hobby air compressors which I have seen from $125 up to $600 (online) (check out www.hobbywave.com and iwata aircompressors). these are quiet and very very suitable for running in small rooms, but expensive. When I started out I got a second hand air compressor(hardware store version) for $40, which was loud, but with a 2 gallon tank, Now I use an Iwata Smartjet Pro. which recently died on me over the weekend .
    When you are airbrushing, the air pressure is very important, as it will allow you to control the amount of paint you spray on to your kit. This takes lots of time and patience, as you begin to learn about how to airbrush at different pressures and with different paints.

The final thing to consider is the paints. This is where you decide if you want to work with acryllics, enamels or lacquers. This is also where your nozzle diameter becomes a bit of a factor since different paints have different pigment sizes. From my experience, the Vallejo and Citadel and cheapo testors paints have rather large pigments, and I found them to pass poorly thru airbrushes with smaller fluid nozzle sizes (0.4mm and below). Tamiya , Testors model masters series, and Humbrol are finer grained, and pass much better. But the best is the Gunze Mr. Color Series Lacquer paints, where I found their pigments are the finest, but then again it's Lacquer. I have left a couple links in my previous posts to a link to cody's guide to paints but I will post it again:
    http://codyscoop.com/ht-paint.html
    I suggest you take a look at it as I find it very comprehensive on the types of paints used in airbrushing, also he has an airbrush section detailing the points in using an airbrush:
    http://codyscoop.com/ht-airbrush.html
    http://codyscoop.com/ht-tool.html <- this is good intro to what you asked, as he has some more detailed info regarding the different airbrushes and compressors, etc.

This is a long winded answer, but I hope I covered everything. Good luck Thwalker13.