PDA

View Full Version : 1/1 Scale Gundam

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 7:34 PM
Hey guys.

I was lucky enough to visit Japan last year before they tore down their 1/1 RX-78-2 (and then rebuilt it...with a beam saber). I figured I'd post some of my pictures for your enjoyment.

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 7:35 PM
This stuff is old news, I know. But they had a rave a couple nights and I haven't seen many pictures from that, so I thought why not.

Zeta-G
October 27, 2010, 8:15 PM
I'm so jealous. Was it as cool as we all imagine it to be?

SilverFrameAstray
October 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
Oh man, I remember when this thing was in construction. It's unbelievable how big this thing is.

I want one.

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'm so jealous. Was it as cool as we all imagine it to be?

And then some. I touched it~ :3 haha

I want one.
Right? I totally would have climbed into the cockpit and left. You'd have heard about me on the news.

SilverFrameAstray
October 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
Until of course, America sees Japan has a giant fighting robot, and raids your ass with F-22's and A-10 thunderbolts. America
would be mad panicky.

GNzaku0023
October 27, 2010, 10:53 PM
The day Japan gets gundams is the day I sign up for the japanese army.

SilverFrameAstray
October 27, 2010, 11:02 PM
True, but err dude. You left your phone at my place. Alien Monster called. You should PROBABLY come get your phone.

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Until of course, America sees Japan has a giant fighting robot, and raids your ass with F-22's and A-10 thunderbolts. America
would be mad panicky.

True. But I got enough practice piloting gundams in Japan's POD arcade game that I would ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA

SilverFrameAstray
October 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
Zomfg! You must be a /m/an aren't you! I enjoy this.

I agree, that arcade game would probably throw a ton of skill on you.
I love /m/achines so much.

GNzaku0023
October 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
I want one of those in my basement. I would be on that thing everyday!!

NanoSpore
October 27, 2010, 11:40 PM
Zomfg! You must be a /m/an aren't you! I enjoy this.

I agree, that arcade game would probably throw a ton of skill on you.
I love /m/achines so much.

I am a wo/m/an. haha... though /m/ would probably disagree.
I spent WAY to much money on that game... the worst part was Akihabara was our first stop. I had to buy myself another suitcase to bring my gundam merch home.

Zeta-G
October 27, 2010, 11:47 PM
The day Japan gets gundams is the day I sign up for the japanese army.
This. And I'm a tree hugging liberal.

SilverFrameAstray
October 27, 2010, 11:58 PM
Technically you are a /m/an/ 4chan doesn't recognize women on the internet. So femanons and timestamps are moot (no pun intended).

The rules of the internet back me up on this one.

Zeta-G
October 28, 2010, 12:16 AM
Technically you are a /m/an/ 4chan doesn't recognize women on the internet. So femanons and timestamps are moot (no pun intended).

The rules of the internet back me up on this one.
4chan is the domain of imbeciles (no offense intended).

GNzaku0023
October 28, 2010, 12:19 AM
Man, I only go to 4 chan for the sake of gundam images. You can find some cool pics on there. But enough Hizacking this thread.

Nano, you were really lucky to have seen that Gundam, I am highly envious of you right now!!

SilverFrameAstray
October 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
I brought a present back from /m/
btw /m/ is the only good board on 4chan. You're thinking of /b/tards. Those are the imbeciles.

Asterisk
October 28, 2010, 2:04 PM
btw /m/ is the only good board on 4chan. You're thinking of /b/tards. Those are the imbeciles.

Clearly, you've never been to /toy/. Lots of Gunpla discussion there.

SilverFrameAstray
October 28, 2010, 2:55 PM
I've been on every board on chan. I just mostly lurk about /k/m/r9k/v/vp/

/toy/ isn't bad. I've been there, but I look more for the actual fan art than the gunpla.

NanoSpore
October 28, 2010, 6:30 PM

Clearly, you've never been to /toy/. Lots of Gunpla discussion there.

/toy/ goes through gunpla threads like crazy. haha

Postin the box of the kit they sold at the event... haven't gotten around to completing it yet. It's basically just a scale model of the statue. The head moves but that's about it...

Asterisk
October 29, 2010, 11:47 AM

I actually post in MOST of them, to be honest. Avyrex is my tripcode over there.

SilverFrameAstray
October 29, 2010, 5:03 PM
Ah. I just stay anon. I post new threads almost every day though. I should jump on /toy/ more often.

GNzaku0023
October 29, 2010, 5:39 PM
I really wanted to see that gundam. I also really want to go to japan at some point!!! In fact I might be going with my dad next summer. I will hit up any gunpla store I can find.

NanoSpore
October 29, 2010, 6:00 PM

I actually post in MOST of them, to be honest. Avyrex is my tripcode over there.
I've seen some of your posts then! I usually just lurk. :P

I really wanted to see that gundam. I also really want to go to japan at some point!!! In fact I might be going with my dad next summer. I will hit up any gunpla store I can find.
Make a point of going to Akihabara. They have a store called Yodobashi, which is a seven floor electronics store... one floor is pretty much devoted to toys and there's a store full of model kits. The rest of Akihabara is filled with arcades and smaller shops selling equally as cool stuff. :)

SilverFrameAstray
October 29, 2010, 6:55 PM
What I would give to go to a store with gunpla stacked that high.

ZeonPeon
October 29, 2010, 8:41 PM
God, I would never be bored again if that store was nearby. :o

GNzaku0023
October 29, 2010, 8:47 PM
Unfortunately, there is no place around here that sells anything related to Gunpla. It's sad, but thats what we have GSAM for!!!!!

NanoSpore
October 29, 2010, 8:47 PM
God, I would never be bored again if that tore was nearby. :o

You'd also never have any money. haha

GNzaku0023
October 29, 2010, 8:49 PM
I'd be flat broke and homeless.....but I'd still have mah gunpla!!!!! :D

NanoSpore
October 29, 2010, 8:51 PM
I'd be flat broke and homeless.....but I'd still have mah gunpla!!!!! :D

And then nothing can take away your happiness!!!!

GNzaku0023
October 29, 2010, 8:54 PM
Indeed. What can I say? G.O.D has taken over lol

Zeta-G
October 29, 2010, 9:18 PM
Indeed. What can I say? G.O.D has taken over lol
I think GSAM allows you to schedule visits to their warehouse (if you live in their city)... Granted there wouldn't be much to see at the moment, but I imagine it would look similar after they restock.

squeam
October 30, 2010, 7:50 PM
It is amazing! We went this summer, and even with the low stock they had, I was a kid in a candy store! Wall-to-wall GUNPLA. I managed to score some kits that were "out of stock". Definitely worth the trip if you can do it. (O yeah, bring LOTS of cold, hard ca$h :D )

Zeta-G
October 30, 2010, 8:41 PM
It is amazing! We went this summer, and even with the low stock they had, I was a kid in a candy store! Wall-to-wall GUNPLA. I managed to score some kits that were "out of stock". Definitely worth the trip if you can do it. (O yeah, bring LOTS of cold, hard ca$h :D )
I wondered about that; I got my Musha Mk. II from GSAM, and yet it isn't listed on their site.

GNzaku0023
October 31, 2010, 12:19 AM
Our group (ZP, SF, and Rondo) are planning a road trip there next summer. I can't wait. We're all bringing like 200 bucks each. it's gonna be awesome!!

NanoSpore
October 31, 2010, 12:43 AM
Our group (ZP, SF, and Rondo) are planning a road trip there next summer. I can't wait. We're all bringing like 200 bucks each. it's gonna be awesome!!

D:
I never thought to do something like that... *buys a piggy bank*

GNzaku0023
October 31, 2010, 12:48 AM
If you lived anywhere near us I would totally invite you to come along lol!!

Zeta-G
October 31, 2010, 12:53 AM
I might have to adjust next year's vacation plans. Screw Mall of America. Been there, done that. :D

NanoSpore
October 31, 2010, 1:22 AM
I might have to adjust next year's vacation plans. Screw Mall of America. Been there, done that. :D
:lol: Aw, c'mon! They're adding more onto it! We want you to come spend your money at the MOA! That's how we pay for all the road construction in the summer.

Zeta-G
October 31, 2010, 1:27 AM
:lol: Aw, c'mon! They're adding more onto it! We want you to come spend your money at the MOA! That's how we pay for all the road construction in the summer.
I suppose your roads need all the help they can get (I do not remember them fondly). Unfortunately for Minnesotans, MOA doesn't have a GSAM store.

NanoSpore
October 31, 2010, 1:34 AM
I suppose your roads need all the help they can get (I do not remember them fondly). Unfortunately for Minnesotans, MOA doesn't have a GSAM store.
They try. Every~ summer they try. :roll: I know... it's quite disappointing that the biggest mall in America has no gundams. Although the F.Y.E. has nice sales on the dvds...

If you lived anywhere near us I would totally invite you to come along lol!!
I'll just hide out among the boxes of gunpla... waiting... and then... ATTACK. All in a friendly manner of course.

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 1:19 AM
Oh man that trip. Hyper God and Hyper Master are on my list. Those two for my life.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 2:38 AM
Oh man that trip. Hyper God and Hyper Master are on my list. Those two for my life.
If you were to trade your life for them, how would you enjoy them? :P
Perhaps you meant you'd trade ZeonPeon for them or that you'd sacrifice yourself, so he could get them.
Logically speaking, your statement doesn't make sense...

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 3:56 PM
Well I'm not speaking literally. In any sense, it doesn't mean trade my life for them (I only would for the 1/1 of them and I would have myself carbon cloned), it's more that they are so great they are the reason you have a life.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 4:02 PM
Well I'm not speaking literally. In any sense, it doesn't mean trade my life for them (I only would for the 1/1 of them and I would have myself carbon cloned), it's more that they are so great they are the reason you have a life.
I knew what you meant; I was just having fun with your words. :D

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 4:06 PM
Do'h psh.

I feel like when I do go to Japan, I have to see that 1/1 RX-78. No joke. I'm also going to have to buy a 1/60 RX-78 and build it right in front of it! That would be great. I don't think very many people would actually look at you like you were crazy either.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 4:32 PM
Do'h psh.

I feel like when I do go to Japan, I have to see that 1/1 RX-78. No joke. I'm also going to have to buy a 1/60 RX-78 and build it right in front of it! That would be great. I don't think very many people would actually look at you like you were crazy either.
Considering the fact that a dude got dressed up as Amuro and had his wedding at the original site, I don't think they would see building a gunpla of RX-78-2 in front of the statue as being odd.

NanoSpore
November 1, 2010, 4:37 PM
Do'h psh.

You better go soon then... I believe they are tearing this one down again in January.
:(

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 4:38 PM
Why would they ever do such a thing! Why not just build more! Like the lead gundam in every gundam series. Have a whole Gundam theme park!

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 4:42 PM
Japan has very little free land, so they tend to shuffle things. They might move it again. One can hope at least.

NanoSpore
November 1, 2010, 4:53 PM
Japan has very little free land, so they tend to shuffle things. They might move it again. One can hope at least.

I feel like it's in a perfect spot, though. It's in Shizuoka near the Bandai Hobby Center.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 5:47 PM

I feel like it's in a perfect spot, though. It's in Shizuoka near the Bandai Hobby Center.
As long as they find a way to keep it standing, I'm good. My dad has a large parcel of land, if they need to move it somewhere... ;)

SilverFrameAstray
November 3, 2010, 12:23 AM
I say the entirety of the GF needs to go and steal the whole thing. We can put it up next to the statue of liberty, posed as the statue of liberty. We can move those arms, I don't care if just the head moves.

GNzaku0023
November 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
This could be the most genius operation ever! A bunch of Gundam fans steal the 1/1 Gundam! No one would ever suspect that!!!!

squeam
November 3, 2010, 12:48 PM
Let's hope, for our sake, that security for the 1/1 scale is as tight as the security for most Gundam anime i.e. completely non-existant. What we really need to pull it off is a particular type of person... is anyone on here a very impulsive, angry teenager? Or maybe a malcontent 'tweener whose parents worked on the 1/1 Gundam?

*goes to check the Teen Zone*

Zeta-G
November 3, 2010, 1:30 PM
Don't you guys think that they'd notice a 55ft tall statue missing? ;)

SilverFrameAstray
November 3, 2010, 5:35 PM

There are no posts there, and there never will be. ZeonPeon is the only one old enough to even be in there, and no Zeta, they'll never notice the missing statue. Well, they will after we take it, but when they see it next to the statue of liberty we'll say the french gave it to us to match the lady liberty.

Zeta-G
November 3, 2010, 7:31 PM

There are no posts there, and there never will be. ZeonPeon is the only one old enough to even be in there, and no Zeta, they'll never notice the missing statue. Well, they will after we take it, but when they see it next to the statue of liberty we'll say the french gave it to us to match the lady liberty.
It's a life-size Gundam in Japan. They'd notice. We're talking about a culture that has criminals who commit Hyaku-shiki inspired vandalism and burn down houses over thrown out Gunpla collections.

Now if a Gundam statue erected in America were to be stolen...

no one besides Gundam geeks would notice.

SilverFrameAstray
November 3, 2010, 7:55 PM
I'm just saying in the hilarity of it all. Just with America blaming it on the french (not really against france, i'm dating a french girl) but we seem to do so a bit. Well not the government, but citizen's do.

We need to build our own 1/1 Gundam is what.

Zeta-G
November 3, 2010, 8:50 PM
I'm just saying in the hilarity of it all. Just with America blaming it on the french (not really against france, i'm dating a french girl) but we seem to do so a bit. Well not the government, but citizen's do.

We need to build our own 1/1 Gundam is what.
If America were to build a Gundam it would have to be the Maxtor. Just saying... :)

SilverFrameAstray
November 3, 2010, 11:02 PM
Eh. We need Guntank! Haha. Hmm, I would actually go with Wing Zero. Could you imagine those wings? My good god.

NanoSpore
November 4, 2010, 12:46 PM
No, no, no. It's only natural that we build a zaku to oppose the gundam.
:lol:

Zeta-G
November 4, 2010, 1:09 PM
I like this plan. 1/1 Char's Zaku.

NanoSpore
November 4, 2010, 1:11 PM
I like this plan. 1/1 Char's Zaku.

Alright! Let's combine all our talents and get started! 8-)

SilverFrameAstray
November 4, 2010, 2:14 PM
Well I can weld, fabiricate, constuct, run wiring and I'm master certified in Engineering Drawing and Design. I think we could actually do this given the money haha.

GNzaku0023
November 10, 2010, 7:59 PM
I can design and paint!!!

Zeta-G
November 10, 2010, 8:06 PM
Give me a few years and I can handle legal.

GNzaku0023
November 10, 2010, 10:56 PM
lol, true, true. I seriously wonder though, why is it that all the lead gundams are Red, White, and Blue?

Zeta-G
November 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
lol, true, true. I seriously wonder though, why is it that all the lead gundams are Red, White, and Blue?
They follow the RX-78-2, which was given a "toy" color scheme to make it more marketable.

SilverFrameAstray
November 11, 2010, 9:29 PM
True that. It was a mystery to me as well for a while. I like my full on white gundams though.

So about this creating a 1/1 scale gundam (even though we really couldn't) who would we build?

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for God or Master Gundam. Just sayin.

Zeta-G
November 11, 2010, 9:35 PM
True that. It was a mystery to me as well for a while. I like my full on white gundams though.

So about this creating a 1/1 scale gundam (even though we really couldn't) who would we build?

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for God or Master Gundam. Just sayin.
We agreed on Char's Zaku. See NanoSpore's post.

SilverFrameAstray
November 11, 2010, 9:48 PM
Ah. Found it, must have skipped it. Oh man, those contours would be a pain to fabricate. Hurrrr.
Where would we put it. I'm sure we all live in very sparse areas. East/West Coast? City?

Zeta-G
November 11, 2010, 9:52 PM
Ah. Found it, must have skipped it. Oh man, those contours would be a pain to fabricate. Hurrrr.
Where would we put it. I'm sure we all live in very sparse areas. East/West Coast? City?
Near a NASA facility or one of the aircraft companies' headquarters (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc.). With any luck they'll be inspired by it. :)

SilverFrameAstray
November 11, 2010, 9:53 PM
I wish the world would invest in mobile suit artillery. Wars would be so much more interesting. It'd be too much of a good dream I'd have to suffocate myself with happiness. I would actually join the military.

Zeta-G
November 11, 2010, 10:07 PM
I wish the world would invest in mobile suit artillery. Wars would be so much more interesting. It'd be too much of a good dream I'd have to suffocate myself with happiness. I would actually join the military.
I've always joked that if Japan actually built a functioning Gundam, I'd run over there and join the military asap.

SilverFrameAstray
November 11, 2010, 10:21 PM
Haha, that's no joke! All of us on the forum would do that. Anyone who wouldn't is insane.

Zeta-G
November 11, 2010, 10:45 PM
Haha, that's no joke! All of us on the forum would do that. Anyone who wouldn't is insane.
Honestly, even if it was only a functioning Ball or Guntank, I'd join their military.

SilverFrameAstray
November 12, 2010, 12:39 AM
Honestly, even if it was only a functioning Ball or Guntank, I'd join their military.

Guntank yes!!! You don't even understand my love for Guntank. Ever since Federation Vs. Zeon. You don't even understand what that game was even like for me and my brother. Dat Guntank.

Zeta-G
November 12, 2010, 12:47 AM

Guntank yes!!! You don't even understand my love for Guntank. Ever since Federation Vs. Zeon. You don't even understand what that game was even like for me and my brother. Dat Guntank.
Yes I do. I love Guntank because of that game and its sequel.

Asterisk
November 12, 2010, 6:51 AM
Woot, Fed vs. Zeon is the only Gundam game I've played/own, and I love it.

Zeta-G
November 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
Woot, Fed vs. Zeon is the only Gundam game I've played/own, and I love it.
The sequels are still coming out in Japan for PSP (the system is region free, so it's quite easy to play imported games).

SilverFrameAstray
November 12, 2010, 10:12 PM
I just bought the first Dynasty Warriors Gundam not too long ago, four days ago actually. I had only ever played it at my friends. I'm gonna try and buy the second DWG before the third one comes out.

NuGuncannon
December 21, 2010, 8:43 PM
The day I went to see the RX-78 on Odaiba, the rain was pouring so hard and it was so windy that it literally crushed my umbrella. At the time, there was still a fence around the Gundam, but it looked totally finished. I had to walk in an inch of standing water on the grass in front of the Gundam to get close.

There was one other guy there, so when we both were done taking a bajillion pictures of it, we switched cameras and took pictures of each other in front of it.

The whole experience was unreal. I just wish I had a $1000 camera that would have better been able to capture the essence of the Gundam in the storm. As it is, I've been using one of my pictures from then as my computer desktop.

SilverFrameAstray
January 15, 2011, 4:06 PM
It's gorgeous mate. I wish they would build another 1/1 scale. Maybe Char's Zaku somewhere else. Close to it even.

It would be the appropriate choice for a companion.

NanoSpore
January 30, 2011, 12:56 AM
A 1/1 Zaku with a moving mono-eye would be enough to bring Japan to its knees.

SilverFrameAstray
January 31, 2011, 3:11 PM
Woah when did this happen....

Zeta-G
January 31, 2011, 3:47 PM
I'm assuming someone photoshopped it in. There was an official japanese-only iphone app to do just that (only in real time and with Char's Zaku, not Exia), so it wouldn't be too much of stretch to say some crazed otaku with too much time on his/her hands photoshopped an Exia in. Seeing as how I haven't heard anything about a 1/1 Exia being built on any of the news sites, it's definitely a fake of some sort; a good fake, but a fake none the less.

SilverFrameAstray
January 31, 2011, 8:15 PM
I'm assuming someone photoshopped it in. There was an official japanese-only iphone app to do just that (only in real time and with Char's Zaku, not Exia), so it wouldn't be too much of stretch to say some crazed otaku with too much time on his/her hands photoshopped an Exia in. Seeing as how I haven't heard anything about a 1/1 Exia being built on any of the news sites, it's definitely a fake of some sort; a good fake, but a fake none the less.

I would like to believe it's real. Even if I'm just convincing myself. If it is a shoop, damn god then.

Zeta
January 31, 2011, 11:19 PM

I would like to believe it's real. Even if I'm just convincing myself. If it is a shoop, damn god then.
It's not. The dead give away for me was that Exia's yellow parts on top of the chest are way too long. I'm actually watching 00 on YouTube right now.

Asterisk
February 1, 2011, 9:18 AM
Well, incoming shitstorm.

squeam
February 1, 2011, 12:15 PM
Now wait, could be watching from Bandai's channel. You are watching from Bandai's channel, right? ( just say "yes")

Zeta-G
February 1, 2011, 1:42 PM
Now wait, could be watching from Bandai's channel. You are watching from Bandai's channel, right? ( just say "yes")
Now, now no leading the witness. :P
Also, Bandai technically has at least two official YouTube channels: BandaiEntertainment (the US distributor's channel) and Anime Channel (Bandai Visual/Bandai Channel's channel)). If you're watching 00 on YouTube, it should be on one of those two channels (another legal option would be Crunchyroll.com); Bandai gets the advertising dollars from views on those channels, they do not get any advertising dollars from Gundam 00 videos on other channels.

Allelujah
February 1, 2011, 9:02 PM
wooo! at last here in japan!

Zeta
February 4, 2011, 12:43 PM
Now, now no leading the witness. :P
Also, Bandai technically has at least two official YouTube channels: BandaiEntertainment (the US distributor's channel) and Anime Channel (Bandai Visual/Bandai Channel's channel)). If you're watching 00 on YouTube, it should be on one of those two channels (another legal option would be Crunchyroll.com); Bandai gets the advertising dollars from views on those channels, they do not get any advertising dollars from Gundam 00 videos on other channels.

I am watching it from the Anime Channel. Yes there are advertisements, but I just let them run while I play Solitaire.