PDA

View Full Version : Real Grade 1/144 kits?

gaspar
August 1, 2011, 2:49 PM
Hi! I'm very new both to Gundam and to the forum. I have always thought that the model kits looked cool, but never took the time to investigate them. I was at San Diego Comic Con last month and while browsing the Bandai / Gundam booth, I saw that they had a "SDCC 2011 Exclusive" kit, so I picked it up on a whim. A few days ago, I decided to put it together (did a little line work, but no paint) and had a GREAT time!

My avatar / sigpic is from the early stages of building it, but here it is complete on my shelf with other giant robot toys:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/SDCCGundam.jpg

It's just a 1/144 HG kit which I found out after a little research is pretty basic, but it was fun. So I decided to try something a little more challenging. After a little more research, I was planning to pick up a MG Gundam RX-78-2 Ver 2.0 as the reviews I read sounded AWESOME and it would be larger and more detailed than my first one. But then I heard about the Real Grade (RG) kits and read a bunch of reviews of those. They look pretty great in the pics / vids online, so last night I took the plunge and ordered the three currently available RG 1/144 kits.

I'm now anxiously awaiting their shipment on Wednesday (hopefully) and I'm really excited to work on them. I tried running some searches, but I couldn't find any threads here about the RG kits. Do any of y'all work with them? What do you think? I know it will still be a fairly small finished product, but they will look nice on the shelf with my SDCC kit, so I'm ok with that. If I'm really into it after I work on the RG kits, I might pick up a MG or wait until the next RG one is released and just start a collection of those. We'll see...

Thanks for giving me a place to ramble on about my latest, unexpected hobby!

Zeta
August 1, 2011, 3:28 PM
Yeah, the Real Grades are a new line of model kits that take the quality of Master Grades and scale them down to 1/144 size. They're pretty awesome and relatively cheap for about $25.00.

gaspar
August 1, 2011, 4:14 PM
Yeah, the Real Grades are a new line of model kits that take the quality of Master Grades and scale them down to 1/144 size. They're pretty awesome and relatively cheap for about $25.00.

Very cool...I can't wait for them to arrive on my doorstep in a couple of days :D

GNzaku0023
August 1, 2011, 8:51 PM
Lucky punk!! You got the limited Edition Byaku Shiki!!! I've wanted that forever!!!
Also, welcome to the forums!!

gaspar
August 1, 2011, 10:58 PM
Lucky punk!! You got the limited Edition Byaku Shiki!!! I've wanted that forever!!!
Also, welcome to the forums!!

LOL! Sorry about that. I didn't even know what it was...it just looked cool and said it was an exclusive kit. Now I wish I had picked up a few of them! Are they that hard to find? Do you know how many were made or any other info about it? I couldn't find much when I googled it.

GNzaku0023
August 1, 2011, 11:06 PM
It's from an OVA called Gunpla Builder's Beginning G. Byaku Shiki, like the White Sazabi, was a limited edition Gunpla builders kit and could be bought at only a few locations. I don't know how many were made.

It's basically just a recolor of the HG 1/144 Hyaku Shiki, but it's still awesome.

gaspar
August 2, 2011, 5:40 PM
It's from an OVA called Gunpla Builder's Beginning G. Byaku Shiki, like the White Sazabi, was a limited edition Gunpla builders kit and could be bought at only a few locations. I don't know how many were made.

It's basically just a recolor of the HG 1/144 Hyaku Shiki, but it's still awesome.

That's cool, thanks for the info!

I went looking around today and there is a local gaming / toy / model shop that has a fairly decent assortment of Gundam kits. It was exciting to see, except for the fact that the prices were near double what I've found online. Oh well, it was still cool to see a bunch of them in person. Hopefully my RGs will arrive tomorrow and I will have something to work on for a while...

gaspar
August 3, 2011, 8:19 PM
Shipment arrived today...now I'm getting excited!
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/GundamBoxes.jpg

SilverFrameAstray
August 3, 2011, 10:21 PM
All of my jelly! Take it and make a sandwich oh god so jelly.

Zeta
August 3, 2011, 10:36 PM
You got all three?! Wow, that must have been a tad expensive.

gaspar
August 4, 2011, 2:00 AM
All of my jelly! Take it and make a sandwich oh god so jelly.

LOL! Sorry :D

You got all three?! Wow, that must have been a tad expensive.

Well, it wasn't the cheapest thing I've ever jumped head first into, but I had some birthday money and wanted to try it out :D Now I'm thinking I bit off a bit more than I can chew at this very newbie stage of my Gundam kit building. Here's what most of my evening resulted in...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/GundamLegs.jpg
Going much slower than I expected, but it's fun! These pieces are TINY! I definitely need to go back and clean up some areas and do some panel lining, but for now I'm going to bed. Thanks for the comments!

gaspar
August 4, 2011, 3:20 PM
Just a quick update...things are going a little better today...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/2011-08-04-14-08-49-001.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/2011-08-04-14-05-21-751.jpg

GNzaku0023
August 4, 2011, 8:17 PM
Looking good man. Can't wait to see the finished product. Btw, what kind of camera/lens are you using? I love the effect it has.

As a side note.
I've been wanting to get the RG Strike soo badly. I hate you for owning one. :P

gaspar
August 4, 2011, 9:37 PM
Looking good man. Can't wait to see the finished product. Btw, what kind of camera/lens are you using? I love the effect it has.

As a side note.
I've been wanting to get the RG Strike soo badly. I hate you for owning one. :P

Thanks! Much appreciated! For the first few pics, I was using my point & shoot Canon Digital Elph. The most recent couple were with my cell phone (HTC Evo) and edited with an app called Vignette. I really like that app! Cool effects.

I'm looking forward to building the RG Strike, but I think I'm going to do them in order...if I can get through this first one with my lame newbie skills :) You should pick one up though...the price is niiiice!

gaspar
August 5, 2011, 2:01 AM
Evening update...Headless Gundam Dance-Off!
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/GundamDanceSm.jpg

gaspar
August 5, 2011, 1:39 PM
And today's update...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/GundamHeadSm.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/GundamCompleteSm.jpg
There's still much work to do. Building the rest of the weapons, the core fighter, detailing, etc. But it is now a complete RX-78-2!

SilverFrameAstray
August 5, 2011, 3:37 PM
Looks nice man!

Just one thing:

why do you not own one of these:
http://defiantgaming.com/shop/images/uploads/p3-93095-clippers.jpg

Or just similar ones. Trust me, they are godly better.

gaspar
August 5, 2011, 4:07 PM
Looks nice man!

Just one thing:

why do you not own one of these:
http://defiantgaming.com/shop/images/uploads/p3-93095-clippers.jpg

Or just similar ones. Trust me, they are godly better.
Where do you get them? I was just at the hobby shop and knew I needed something, so I picked up the ones in that pic. They were the smallest ones they had...figured that would work best. They were inexpensive and do the job well enough, but they definitely aren't great.

gaspar
August 7, 2011, 12:23 AM
Finished up the RX-78-2 and started on Zaku II tonight:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuLegsSm.jpg
I've already busted one piece, but it's coming together slightly faster than the first one.

ZeonPeon
August 8, 2011, 5:56 PM
Why is the picture red? A light on the camera maybe? And you can get them at normal crafts stores. We got ours at, Michael's I believe?

GNzaku0023
August 8, 2011, 6:32 PM
Hobby lobby and walmart both sell them.

The Zaku's looking pretty good man!!

SilverFrameAstray
August 8, 2011, 6:32 PM
Just check walmart or your local hobby store. We got two different pair. I can't find a picture of the ones that we actually have, the one in the pic is just as close as I could. Those are the ones that Red uses, I know that for sure. I'll try and find the nice ones I use and give you a link.

Cannot wait to see all of your RG's together though.

GNzaku0023
August 8, 2011, 6:56 PM
Here's the ones that Asterisk and I use. 5 bucks at wallyworld

gaspar
August 8, 2011, 8:19 PM
Why is the picture red? A light on the camera maybe? And you can get them at normal crafts stores. We got ours at, Michael's I believe?

The red is just from the Android App I used for the photo.

Hobby lobby and walmart both sell them.

The Zaku's looking pretty good man!!

Thanks! It's coming along nicely I think. I didn't have much time to work on it this weekend, but I did knock out the right arm yesterday. Hopefully I'll get to do a little more work tonight.

Just check walmart or your local hobby store. We got two different pair. I can't find a picture of the ones that we actually have, the one in the pic is just as close as I could. Those are the ones that Red uses, I know that for sure. I'll try and find the nice ones I use and give you a link.

Cannot wait to see all of your RG's together though.

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to see the RGs together too! I don't have any bases / stands, but I'll try to pose 'em up once I at least have the RX-78-2 and Zaku built.

Here's the ones that Asterisk and I use. 5 bucks at wallyworld

Are the purple handle ones in this pic not good enough for Gunpla?
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/2011-08-04-14-08-49-001.jpg
I got them at Michaels in the jewelry section (I think they're made for cutting wire). They seem to work ok, but aren't the greatest I don't think. They were cheap and small, so I figured I'd give 'em a shot.

Thanks everyone for all of the comments and info!

squeam
August 8, 2011, 8:30 PM
They are just fine! I used ones very similar to that for years. You just have to be a little more careful with parts attached via small gates, since these nippers tend to "pinch" more than "slice" the plastic. But, eh, you're doin fine. Don't sweat it.

SilverFrameAstray
August 8, 2011, 8:51 PM
No no no no they work just fine! For the longest time I used the very same ones. Both me and ZP own clippers similar to the one GNZ posted only ours are better.

I'll tell you why: it has a larger gauge spring that is on the outside of the clippers, so it releases smoother and hasn't ever broken. If you'd like, I have a spare that I can just mail you.

gaspar
August 8, 2011, 9:35 PM
They are just fine! I used ones very similar to that for years. You just have to be a little more careful with parts attached via small gates, since these nippers tend to "pinch" more than "slice" the plastic. But, eh, you're doin fine. Don't sweat it.

Yeah, I've noticed that the do tend to pinch a bit on occasion. I thought it might just be because they aren't that sharp. Thanks!

No no no no they work just fine! For the longest time I used the very same ones. Both me and ZP own clippers similar to the one GNZ posted only ours are better.

I'll tell you why: it has a larger gauge spring that is on the outside of the clippers, so it releases smoother and hasn't ever broken. If you'd like, I have a spare that I can just mail you.

That's great to know, thanks. I really had no idea what to buy when I was shopping...I just figured I needed SOMETHING instead of just a knife / scissors like I used on the Comic Con 1/144 one that I built first :D

If you really don't mind sending your spare, I definitely wouldn't say no! Thanks so much for the offer, I really appreciate it! I'm pretty much just using whatever I can scrounge up at home or what is not expensive at the store at this point, but I guess if I decide to keep building I should get some decent tools...

Asterisk
August 9, 2011, 8:58 AM
I got a very nice pair from a bead and jewelry shop for like $10 that are the best I've ever used. I'll post pictures whenever I'm home and have the time.

Skittles
August 9, 2011, 9:39 AM
I use a pair from the dollar store and have never had issues. But I do have a couple of nicer pairs from Hobby Lobby for really fine/tight work. And I covet the $16 pair at the hobby shop, but really... they probably aren't much different.

Asterisk
August 9, 2011, 11:40 AM
The ones I have are actually for cutting copper rods, so man, they make quick work of runners. Plus, they're red. I dare say they cut runners three times faster than my old ones?

gaspar
August 9, 2011, 1:33 PM
I got a very nice pair from a bead and jewelry shop for like $10 that are the best I've ever used. I'll post pictures whenever I'm home and have the time.

Nice! I saw several different ones when I was buying the small ones at Michaels, but didn't know what was good, so I just went cheap :D

I use a pair from the dollar store and have never had issues. But I do have a couple of nicer pairs from Hobby Lobby for really fine/tight work. And I covet the $16 pair at the hobby shop, but really... they probably aren't much different.

Very cool. That's the problem I had...I couldn't figure out what the difference was between the $15 pair and the $4 pair other than size. So I just went cheap and small thinking that the smaller size would work better on the 1/144 scale...

The ones I have are actually for cutting copper rods, so man, they make quick work of runners. Plus, they're red. I dare say they cut runners three times faster than my old ones?

Wow, that's pretty cool! Like I said, I think the ones I have are for wire, so they work ok, but they're not super sharp (or thin), so some of the smaller trees / connections to pieces just get smushed instead of clipped. Copper rod cutters would probably be awesome!

gaspar
August 10, 2011, 1:36 AM
I didn't have time to work on it last night, but put a couple of hours in tonight. Here's Zaku's current status:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuPartial.jpg
I could probably finish it up tonight, but I'm tired and have to get up early, so maybe tomorrow...

SilverFrameAstray
August 10, 2011, 1:52 AM
Ohhohoho man that looks amazing. And it's always better to drag it out. Makes the experience all the more fun.

gaspar
August 10, 2011, 4:32 PM
Ohhohoho man that looks amazing. And it's always better to drag it out. Makes the experience all the more fun.

Thanks! And I agree...it's been fun. I am looking forward to seeing it complete, but I'm in no hurry to be finished :)

gaspar
August 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
Well, the main portion of Zaku is complete...still need to do all of the detailing and build the weapons:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuComp.jpg

Zeta
August 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
Red Zaku II FTW!!!!!

SilverFrameAstray
August 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
You know, maybe you build this zaku three times faster than you would the mass production.

Zeta-G
August 11, 2011, 5:23 PM
Looking good! You should get an action base and have it Char kick the Gundam. :D

ZeonPeon
August 11, 2011, 5:30 PM
As much as I love PG's, I feel as if the Zaku's head is too high up. I've never seen a Zaku with a neck, it was "shoulders, pipes, and face", not "shoulders, neck thing, pipes, face". But, that's just me, looks epic Gaspar!

Zeta-G
August 11, 2011, 5:37 PM
As much as I love PG's, I feel as if the Zaku's head is too high up. I've never seen a Zaku with a neck, it was "shoulders, pipes, and face", not "shoulders, neck thing, pipes, face". But, that's just me, looks epic Gaspar! Based on an earlier post, I'm pretty sure Gaspar's Zaku is a RG. That said, I agree, the neck does look strange on a Zaku.

gaspar
August 11, 2011, 8:27 PM
Red Zaku II FTW!!!!!
Heck yeah :D

You know, maybe you build this zaku three times faster than you would the mass production.
So the mass production Zaku is even more difficult? Wow!

Looking good! You should get an action base and have it Char kick the Gundam. :D
I want to pick up some action bases, but they're a little bit pricey and I spent my current money on the RG kits. Oh well...hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to get some!

As much as I love PG's, I feel as if the Zaku's head is too high up. I've never seen a Zaku with a neck, it was "shoulders, pipes, and face", not "shoulders, neck thing, pipes, face". But, that's just me, looks epic Gaspar!
Thanks...glad you like him! As for the head / neck...that was my fault. I was turning his head a little just after I took the photo and it popped off. I pushed it harder and it popped in further down. I didn't think it looked quite like the pics...it's much better now with less of a neck.

Based on an earlier post, I'm pretty sure Gaspar's Zaku is a RG. That said, I agree, the neck does look strange on a Zaku.
Yup, all of my kits (except the Comic Con one) are Real Grade. I'd love to play around with a PG at some point, but there's no way I can afford one right now. About the neck...I think I fixed it. I'll post another pic once I have some weapons and other stuff complete.

gaspar
August 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
Still needs panel lining and detailing, but here's tonight's effort:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuWeapon.jpg

SilverFrameAstray
August 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
Even still, I love the head on the RG zakus man. It's sooooo sexy. One question, is there are any more detail in the shields than the HG's? I can't tell.

gaspar
August 13, 2011, 1:27 AM
Even still, I love the head on the RG zakus man. It's sooooo sexy. One question, is there are any more detail in the shields than the HG's? I can't tell.
LOL! Yeah, it is pretty sweet! I don't know the difference between the HG and RG Zaku kits unfortunately. This is the only one I have. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Also, I just was looking around online for something else completely and saw that CrunchyRoll has Gundam series / eps available for viewing...legally even! I'm watching the original 1979 series on my PS3 / HDTV right now! Got to see my first ever RX-78-2 vs. Zaku fight :D Even though the series is 30+ years old, it's very entertaining so far!

Zeta-G
August 13, 2011, 1:40 AM
Crunchyroll is awesome. The first half of MSG's DVD release will get reissued September 13 as a boxset. Also that RG Zaku of yours is looking pretty sweet.

gaspar
August 13, 2011, 12:09 PM
Crunchyroll is awesome. The first half of MSG's DVD release will get reissued September 13 as a boxset. Also that RG Zaku of yours is looking pretty sweet.

Yeah, Crunchyroll is pretty cool! Thanks for the compliment on my Zaku :D I need to work on panel lines this weekend...

gaspar
August 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
Well, it took longer to get around to (very amateurishly) panel lining Zaku and I still haven't done much decal work on any of my Gunpla, but I'm at a "semi-complete" stage now...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuShelf1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/ZakuShelf2.jpg
Not sure when I'll start on the RG Strike, but hopefully sometime soon...

GNzaku0023
August 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
For amateur panel lining, it's pretty damn good bro. I wasn't anywhere near that good at panel lines on my first (many) attempts. Good job!
Still jelly of dat byaku shiki.

gaspar
August 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
For amateur panel lining, it's pretty damn good bro. I wasn't anywhere near that good at panel lines on my first (many) attempts. Good job!
Still jelly of dat byaku shiki.

Thanks, I'm trying :)

Not sure where you could get one of those Shikis, but I do like it!

Asterisk
August 20, 2011, 7:35 AM
There are a couple of places to get the Byaku Shiki, but not at the reasonable price Bluefin was selling it for recently.

I'm also quite jelly about it, actually.

gaspar
August 20, 2011, 1:02 PM
There are a couple of places to get the Byaku Shiki, but not at the reasonable price Bluefin was selling it for recently.
I'm also quite jelly about it, actually.

I think they were $17 at SD Comic Con. If I go again next year and they have them for sale, I could pick up a few. But that is a long time from now...

Asterisk
August 20, 2011, 5:49 PM
Yeah. Only other price I've seen it go for is in the $30's

gaspar
August 20, 2011, 9:44 PM
Yeah. Only other price I've seen it go for is in the $30's

Yup...I don't know which dealers sell them, but I found a few on eBay for somewhere in the $30s.

gaspar
August 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
I don't have any of the action bases, but I DO have Gorilla Hooks! I decided to make my Gunpla into wall decorations :D

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks3.jpg
I need to play around with the poses more to get them looking "action-y" but I'm digging the idea so far!

Asterisk
August 21, 2011, 8:17 AM
I wholly approve of this development.

gaspar
August 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
I wholly approve of this development.

LOL! Thanks!

GNzaku0023
August 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
This idea is most excellent dude! Waaay better then what we did! (Nailed cheapy action bases to the wall :P)

gaspar
August 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
This idea is most excellent dude! Waaay better then what we did! (Nailed cheapy action bases to the wall :P)

Thanks! That was my original idea...I didn't know if action bases had a way to wall mount, but I figured I could just nail them somehow. But at $10-15 each, I'd rather spend my money on more Gunpla :D I knew that the Gorilla Hooks worked well with framed art / photos that I have around the apartment, and you can pull them out a little further if necessary, so I gave it a shot. It's not perfect, but I think it's working pretty well!

GNzaku0023
August 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
We wound up using the ones that came with SEED kits. Free and cheap lol.

Zeta-G
August 21, 2011, 1:39 PM
I don't have any of the action bases, but I DO have Gorilla Hooks! I decided to make my Gunpla into wall decorations :D

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/bwbollom/Misc%20Blog%20Images/Hooks3.jpg
I need to play around with the poses more to get them looking "action-y" but I'm digging the idea so far!

Those look awesome on the wall like that, but, personally, I wouldn't do that with my kits, because I'd be worried about them getting knocked off of the hooks.

gaspar
August 21, 2011, 1:46 PM
Those look awesome on the wall like that, but, personally, I wouldn't do that with my kits, because I'd be worried about them getting knocked off of the hooks.

Thanks, and I know what you mean. I'm not too worried about them getting knocked off because they're in my office, not in a high traffic area. Plus, you can kind of see in the bottom corner of the last pic, they're about 1ft above a bookshelf (there's a baseball in a case in that corner), so they're really not that much higher than they would be on an action base.

It's always possible that something could happen, but I think they look too cool to just put away. I want to show them off :D

Zeta-G
August 21, 2011, 2:10 PM

It's always possible that something could happen, but I think they look too cool to just put away. I want to show them off :D

Understandable, since you did a very nice job with them. Hopefully, nothing will cause them to fall off.

gaspar
August 21, 2011, 2:50 PM
Understandable, since you did a very nice job with them. Hopefully, nothing will cause them to fall off.

Thanks! That's my hope as well :)

Tetsuo_Ishikawa
September 17, 2011, 6:42 PM
Are these kits terribly fragile?

gaspar
September 17, 2011, 8:53 PM
I'm not an expert, but the 2 RGs that I've built so far don't seem much more or less fragile than the HG that I've built. Maybe others can give more information, but they seem fine to me as long as you aren't doing anything too rough/crazy with them.