PDA

View Full Version : project #1: SD Sazabi

mechbasket
October 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to model building and gunpla. So I decided to build a little inexpensive SD Sazabi to practice and make some mistakes on. ;)

So far I've assembled the pieces together. I got rid of some seam lines with tamiya extra thin cement and super glue. I've primed the main parts (head, arms, footsies [this thing has no feet :lol:]) and already painted them. Here are some pics.

mechbasket
October 23, 2012, 12:50 AM
By the way, I do not own an airbrush (yet :p) so all my work is hand brushed.

Painting the visor black was a bit tricky. I didn't want to make a mistake so I cut tiny pieces of masking tape and outlined the visor to prevent painting over my previous hard work.

Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

mechbasket
October 23, 2012, 1:00 AM
Had a little problem with my coats drying up very chalky, and dusty looking. :o

But with some encouragement :) and help from the community the problem was fixed. :D Please refer to http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/8583-paint-job-drying-a-little-chalky for details on how it was fixed.

mechbasket
October 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
Haven't had much time to work on this but I've painted the pipes yellow on the torso. I used 3M masking tape but had some paint seep under it. To correct I simply added another coat of my red + black. It's coming along. :p

For the front I used tamiya acrylic yellow with tamiya acrylic thinner. Flowed pretty well, but dried too fast in my paint tray. Also, it looked a bit thick.

For the back I used the same yellow but thinned it with Windex. (read some where that it was a good thinner for airbrushing and paint brushing) Oh man! :eek: My paint did not dry out as fast (which was good), but it was a little too thin which resulted in more coats.

I plan to use some black to line the pipes which should cover the excess yellow at the edge of the pipes. Then cover everything with Future for some enamel washes.

mechbasket
November 4, 2012, 1:39 AM
Today I had a chance to paint the mono eye and camera (is it?) On the head. :p

I used testors enamel sublime green. Initially I was going to to darken it a bit but im really happy with how it turned out. I feel the bright green really catches the eye. ;)

I think the next big challenge will be painting Char's symbol on the skirt armor. It has to be tiny! :o im thinking of maybe using a GM marker, or some other pen. Would someone be able to suggest a gm marker or something else that would match tamiya flat yellow?

So far I'm liking how this is turning out.

V0LTES-V01
November 4, 2012, 5:29 AM
Hey comrade, your project is coming out well despite the minor set backs. For future reference, if you wish to isolate a section, try to use a scotch tape. Since you handpaint, the substance is fluid and heavy, thus seepage through the masking tape will occur. But hey, keep pressing on with your project completion.

mechbasket
November 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hey comrade, your project is coming out well despite the minor set backs. For future reference, if you wish to isolate a section, try to use a scotch tape. Since you handpaint, the substance is fluid and heavy, thus seepage through the masking tape will occur. But hey, keep pressing on with your project completion.

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the advice and I will try scotch tape the next chance I get.

mechbasket
November 20, 2012, 12:09 AM
I haven't had a chance to really work on my model since I've been shopping and buying my airbrush kit. :p I think I'll finish the rest of the body by hand brushing instead.. It's a matter of principal now. :D

Here is a pic of my work thus far.

I hand brushed everything you see there. I've made this little guy glossy by lightly brushing on a coat of Pledge Floor Care with Future (aka Future). Man that is shinny! I like it. The goal was to add a protective layer for when I applied my washes. As you can see I hand brushed the panel lines on the torso pipes.

Not sure if that was a good idea --- but hey this is my first kit.

I'm still looking for a way to apply Char's weird little "S" on the skirt armor.

Suzaku
November 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
Protective topcoats are always a good idea :)

If you don't want the topcoat to be that shiny, you can mix some Tamiya Flat Base into the Future before you brush it on to flatten it out a little bit.

mechbasket
November 22, 2012, 1:40 AM
Protective topcoats are always a good idea :)

If you don't want the topcoat to be that shiny, you can mix some Tamiya Flat Base into the Future before you brush it on to flatten it out a little bit.

That is an awesome suggestion! Im gonna shop for some flat base next chance I get.

I'm almost done with the body of this guy. I will be applying some panel lines and post some pics for you all to see. :D

mechbasket
December 1, 2012, 1:24 PM
Good news everybody! I finished the model. Here's how it was supposed to look like:

That was before I tried airbrushing some Future on it. It made my panel lines run.:(

It's okay cause this really was just a practice model for me. But I would have loved it if it came out good. Good thing is a learned from my mistake. I won't be putting on such a heavy coat next time.

Does any one have a suggestion on how to fix this? Or should I start over on ruined pieces?

thwalker13
December 1, 2012, 2:32 PM
I think it came out really well man. The same thing has happened to me before while top coating. Most of the time I've had to remove the top coat, fix the lining. And re-coat. However, on your kit. I think you should leave it. The way it ran it kinda looks like burn marks from battle. Give the kit a bit more definition. I think it looks good that way.

mechbasket
December 2, 2012, 11:25 AM
I think it came out really well man. The same thing has happened to me before while top coating. Most of the time I've had to remove the top coat, fix the lining. And re-coat. However, on your kit. I think you should leave it. The way it ran it kinda looks like burn marks from battle. Give the kit a bit more definition. I think it looks good that way.

Hey thnx, thwalker13! Now that you mention it does look battle worn. I think I will leave it as is and move on to another project. Besides it's my first model I built.

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance!

V0LTES-V01
December 2, 2012, 1:12 PM
Good finish there mech! Keep that effort rollin'!