PDA

View Full Version : paint job drying a little chalky

mechbasket
October 21, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hello builders,

I have a problem with my paint job :???: . But first let me explain what I've been doing and what I use.

I just started painting an SD MSN 04 Sazabi :D. I've been using Tamiya acrylic flat black and flat red to get a kinda dark red. I'm also using the Tamiya acrylic thinner. Since I don't own an airbrush, I've been hand brushing my coats. The problem is that I've began to notice my paint is drying somewhat chalky with brush streaks.

I've uploaded some photos. Can someone help me understand what's going on and how to fix it? (i couldnt find if this has been answered before. If it has could someone please direct me to that post?) 3720

Thnks for what ever guidance you can give.

Dlinker
October 21, 2012, 1:39 AM
Too much thinner, perhaps? How many coats did these sample pieces have?

mechbasket
October 21, 2012, 1:57 AM
I'm trying to get the hang of thinning my paints, so I may have added more thinner than necessary. Each piece has about 5-7 coats, I think.

Pitchdark
October 21, 2012, 4:41 AM
I think you may not be allowing the paint to dry enough before adding another coat and are basically stripping one coat when you try to add another.

mechbasket
October 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thank you guys for the help. :D

In some cases I give the coat a few days to dry and in others maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Is the 10 to 15 enough wait?

I forgot to mention that I mist/spray my paint tray with 50% isopropyl to keep it from drying too fast in extended painting sessions. Do you guys think that's what's causing the chalky finish?

Dlinker
October 21, 2012, 2:47 PM
Tamiya paints are a bit more difficult to use for hand-painting , but 10 to 15 minutes between coats sounds like a good amount of time. Regarding what Pitchdark said, do you notice when you brush the additional coats on that the undercoat is coming off? For the alcohol, I don't think it's actually needed because you're already using their brand of thinner which I read has some retarder in it to slow the drying process. Do you alternate your brush strokes as well?

Squee
October 21, 2012, 3:15 PM
Are your paints mixed fully before you apply it? That looks like your brushing unevenly mixed paint, as the flat additive in the paints is showing through more than it should.

mechbasket
October 21, 2012, 7:59 PM
Tamiya paints are a bit more difficult to use for hand-painting , but 10 to 15 minutes between coats sounds like a good amount of time. Regarding what Pitchdark said, do you notice when you brush the additional coats on that the undercoat is coming off? For the alcohol, I don't think it's actually needed because you're already using their brand of thinner which I read has some retarder in it to slow the drying process. Do you alternate your brush strokes as well?

Hi Dlinker, thanks for the input. I haven't noticed my undercoats coming off. I haven't changed my brush strokes, either except for my very last coat application. This problem started happening two or so coats before. As for the official thinner having a retarding agent I had no idea. Thanx for the info.

Are your paints mixed fully before you apply it? That looks like your brushing unevenly mixed paint, as the flat additive in the paints is showing through more than it should.

Hi Squee, thanks for the info. I'm trying to mix my paint well but I guess I need to stir them more in my paint tray. How much time do you spend mixing your paints?

Thank you all for the help.

Squee
October 21, 2012, 8:15 PM
Do you mix the bottles before you mix them in the tray? Tamiya has a tendency to separate. You need to make sure your paint is mixed thoroughly in the bottles before you take some out to make your custom paint mix.

jlara96
October 21, 2012, 8:47 PM
I'm gonna say this right now, the way it looks is awesome, at least to me. If you paint it right it can look like a statue.

mechbasket
October 21, 2012, 9:56 PM
I'm gonna say this right now, the way it looks is awesome, at least to me. If you paint it right it can look like a statue.

Hey, jlara thanks! It could definitely look like a statue.

Do you mix the bottles before you mix them in the tray? Tamiya has a tendency to separate. You need to make sure your paint is mixed thoroughly in the bottles before you take some out to make your custom paint mix.

I shake those bottles for a good long time before I open and take some paint out. I use a plastic pipette for the red (since I use few drops) and a toothpick for the black (the pipette gives me too much black for the small batch of paint I use).

I'm going to try mixing my paints more throughly next time. I noticed swirls of black when I was mixing and thought nothing of it. I'll report back my results. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Dlinker
October 22, 2012, 12:07 AM
Keep us posted on your efforts. As someone who started painting by hand first before trying out an airbrush, I'm always interested in another hand-painter's progress. Quite a handy skill to have when you have to deal with small details :)

mechbasket
October 22, 2012, 12:42 AM
I think I found a fix! :p :lol:

I had searched the Web for some more info, and found someone suggested to apply a very little bit of mineral spirits (yeah, on acrylic paints go fig.). I tried it using some testors enamel thinner. It didn't work. In fact it made it a fraction of a bit worse. I was about to call it quits when I decided to try my 99% isopropyl. It worked!

you can definitely see a difference. It's not as chalky. Ha alright. But be careful.

I learned that the alcohol should be applied with one stroke and not with multiple brush strokes (like you would apply a base coat). Any more than one or two strokes and you end up stripping some paint. You can see some paint stripping on the chest piece at the right shoulder.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Dlinker
October 22, 2012, 5:13 PM
Difference is like night and day. Thanks for letting us know about your solution. I never would have thought mineral spirits would have that kind of effect. Makes me wonder what it will do when added for airbrushing Tamiya.