PDA

View Full Version : On the Workdesk of Skittles...

Skittles
October 25, 2010, 4:11 PM
I'll just keep one thread going for my projects. :D

Here's a NG 1/144 GINN-in-progress. One of those kits that I think I threw in my cart for the heck of it... I built it straight, played with it a bit, totally was having too much fun and broke the hip joint on its right leg...

And since I felt bad, I fixed the leg (yay for model glue) and decided to paint the kit up (somewhat) proper. As luck had it, I'd just picked up a really gorgeous blue and wanted to test it out. Win/win!

Aside from the blue and silver, the backpack/wings are a twilight-purple with coppery accents, and the detail on the head-crest will be copper as well.

No current pics, but the body is done, wings are about 50% done and the head about 75% -- it's more a 'learning to paint better' kit than a showpiece, but I do want it to look nice.

[attachment=0:2ojad8to]015x.jpg[/attachment:2ojad8to]

SilverFrameAstray
October 25, 2010, 9:16 PM
O~o! I really like that blue, mate.
Can't wait to see it completed.

Asterisk
October 26, 2010, 10:00 AM
Blue with silver trim is ALWAYS nice. Example:
[attachment=0:1sauhywk]44273_423748543650_510233650_5100523_1702494_n.jpg[/attachment:1sauhywk]

A friend of mine did this one. I was TERRIFIED he was going to enter it into the contest.

GNzaku0023
October 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
...I think I need a new pair of pants....that sinanju is gorgeous

Zeta-G
October 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
Be honest, asterisk. You like making us drool over custom Gunpla, don't you?

Asterisk
October 26, 2010, 1:16 PM
Yes. Yes I do.

[attachment=0:3a2cd7c6]1270262921022.jpg[/attachment:3a2cd7c6]

Zeta-G
October 26, 2010, 1:31 PM
You evil, evil man... ;)
(Those Sinanjus both look sweet.)

GNzaku0023
October 26, 2010, 2:00 PM
The second one looks like something Rey Za Burrel would pilot.

(And it looks awesome!!!)

Zeta-G
October 26, 2010, 2:33 PM
The second one looks like something Rey Za Burrel would pilot.

(And it looks awesome!!!)
I was thinking Rau le Creuset (sp?), but same thing more or less...

GNzaku0023
October 26, 2010, 2:39 PM
Anyways, Skittles, I love first grade/no grade kits simply because of what you're doing now. Custom painting and prototype customizations are things that these cheap kits are really good for. I can't wait to see your finished product!

Asterisk
October 26, 2010, 5:32 PM
It's kind of funny. I mostly do my models backwards. Its mostly just my MGs that get full on paintjobs, and my HG/NGs that get detail work.

SilverFrameAstray
October 26, 2010, 8:52 PM
My god...those kits. My life. I will never be able to....GAH!

I will never be able to get over how beautiful those kits are.

Skittles
November 19, 2010, 3:11 PM
Many weeks later...

[attachment=2:13ztmoal]001.JPG[/attachment:13ztmoal]

That's right... I wanted to build that BluDuel...

[attachment=1:13ztmoal]002.JPG[/attachment:13ztmoal]

Oh, the colors look amazing. Those orange bits...

[attachment=0:13ztmoal]003.JPG[/attachment:13ztmoal]

...are stickers... :cry:

Time to head off to find a hobby store with a good paint selection, for I do not have anything remotely that color (and only one orange, which I generally dislike and it's way, way dark anyway)...

GNzaku0023
November 19, 2010, 3:41 PM
Blue Duel, my favorite out of the duel line. With my least favorite duel pilot. Regardless, that is a kit I've had my eye on for a while. Let me know how it turns out!!!

SilverFrameAstray
November 19, 2010, 11:59 PM
Blue Duel, my favorite out of the duel line. With my least favorite duel pilot. Regardless, that is a kit I've had my eye on for a while. Let me know how it turns out!!!

Blu Duel, subtracting the pilot, would have been best Duel Gundam; that is if Regen Duel didn't exist. I'm gonna get Regen Duel and Hail Buster together sometime next year.

Skittles
November 20, 2010, 12:40 AM

Blu Duel, subtracting the pilot, would have been best Duel Gundam; that is if Regen Duel didn't exist. I'm gonna get Regen Duel and Hail Buster together sometime next year.

I actually ended up unbuilding my Regen and taking a lot of pieces off for the finished kit. Lost the extra ankle bits, chest armor, backpack, etc. And it ended up as an improvement! But that's part of the fun of the VS kits. My Hail Buster isn't exactly stock/instructions, either.

I am, of course, partial to the Long Daggers.

SilverFrameAstray
November 20, 2010, 12:03 PM

I actually ended up unbuilding my Regen and taking a lot of pieces off for the finished kit. Lost the extra ankle bits, chest armor, backpack, etc. And it ended up as an improvement! But that's part of the fun of the VS kits. My Hail Buster isn't exactly stock/instructions, either.

I am, of course, partial to the Long Daggers.

Haha, of course. I always have to give it to the infantry suits. I still want to get two 1/144 buster daggers (if they even exist, I haven't checked) to entourage my buster gundam.

Skittles
November 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
Haha, of course. I always have to give it to the infantry suits. I still want to get two 1/144 buster daggers (if they even exist, I haven't checked) to entourage my buster gundam.

Only as a resin conversion kit and it's for the 1/100, as far as I know. Alas. And I'd love to deck one out as Rena Imalia's. (I'll have to settle for her Sword Calamity, which I at least have the pieces for.)

If SCYTHE's Long Dagger kit ever pops up on Mandarake, price will literally not be an obstacle for me.

ZeonPeon
November 20, 2010, 1:05 PM
Looks good Skittles :3 Can't wait to see the finished product.

SilverFrameAstray
November 21, 2010, 11:24 PM

Only as a resin conversion kit and it's for the 1/100, as far as I know. Alas. And I'd love to deck one out as Rena Imalia's. (I'll have to settle for her Sword Calamity, which I at least have the pieces for.)

If SCYTHE's Long Dagger kit ever pops up on Mandarake, price will literally not be an obstacle for me.

Haha of course. I kind of like the daggers in general though. They were pretty good infantry units. Although I think a GM Quel or GM Custom would rape a dagger.

GNzaku0023
November 22, 2010, 9:36 PM
Despite the fact I love the Duel (Yzak ftw) I hate the daggers so much. More so than I hate gm's, and I HATE gm's.

Zeta-G
November 23, 2010, 4:44 AM
Despite the fact I love the Duel (Yzak ftw) I hate the daggers so much. More so than I hate gm's, and I HATE gm's.
Yzak and his Duel were just awesome.

seiei00g
November 23, 2010, 3:14 PM
Yzak and his Duel were just awesome.

This statement is very true.

Skittles, if you could, do a review on that kit for me? I've been thinking about picking it up to complete my duel line, however I'd like to know if it's worth the money. Thanks!!

Skittles
November 28, 2010, 10:27 PM
Skittles, if you could, do a review on that kit for me? I've been thinking about picking it up to complete my duel line, however I'd like to know if it's worth the money. Thanks!!

I may not do a 'review', per se, but I will be posting as I go.

[attachment=1:3ufip6bj]001.JPG[/attachment:3ufip6bj]

My brilliant idea this time is to pretty much paint before/during assembly, depending on the pieces. Just so that when I'm snapping the last bits in place, it's DONE. Pretty much what I've done before, to be honest. Eventually I'd like to try painting at least solid colors while the parts are still on the runners, but that's in the future!

Anyway, I get this gorgeous torso together, lined and realize... it'll all get covered. Alas!

[attachment=0:3ufip6bj]017.JPG[/attachment:3ufip6bj]

I decided to try priming in tan, half because I wanted a warmer base than grey and half because, um... where's my primer? Not sure if it was worth doing, but it's not been bad, either. Sloppy first layer of orange here, looks pretty bad, I know, but subsequent coats will cover properly. There's a lot of painting to be done on this kit - even with the stickers (if used), there's a lot of room for detail.

Yet again, something I think will be easy... not so much.

Also, I intend to alternate this with finishing that blue GINN. When I get sick of painting the one, I'll paint the other.

The random red backpack bit is for the 'paint-test' GINN, if anyone is curious. Clear red over flat aluminum = perfect color for upcoming project, once GSAM's pre-order stuff ships out.

Skittles
December 22, 2010, 6:04 PM
Ended up with a wrist injury in there, amongst other things, but I have gotten the Blu done.

Don't really like all the armor, as it makes her arms kinda droopy. Kit does come with a stand, though, despite no noticeable issues with balance.

All the orange is hand-painted. Most of it... not terribly well. (Alas, but I learned a lot, which is always my goal!)

[attachment=1:2hrlyxoz]IMG_7382.JPG[/attachment:2hrlyxoz]

And then randomly, within the span of a couple hours, I put together and 'painted' (mostly gundammarker) the NG 1/144 Shenlong that a friend gave me for my birthday over the summer.

[attachment=0:2hrlyxoz]017.JPG[/attachment:2hrlyxoz]

GNzaku0023
December 22, 2010, 6:08 PM
NAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Sorry, that was my wufei impression.

I have to say, the Duel Looks amazing man. The orange looks really well done, you should be proud.

And You made that Shenlong look like something decent. As we all know, those old wing kits suck horribly, but you made it look great. Well done. :)

Skittles
December 22, 2010, 7:06 PM
I have to say, the Duel Looks amazing man. The orange looks really well done, you should be proud.

And You made that Shenlong look like something decent. As we all know, those old wing kits suck horribly, but you made it look great. Well done. :)

Thanks! :D

With Shenlong, I was kinda trying to copy a tutorial I'd seen in... I think the special book that came with the NG 1/144 Gold Frame Astray. Results definitely varied, but not too badly.

Next up is 1/100 Nebula Blitz - should be able to build it three times faster than the Blu Duel, if nothing else.

squeam
December 22, 2010, 11:20 PM
Ooooo, Nebula Blitz! I have wanted to get that one for a while. Let us know how it comes out.

Skittles
December 23, 2010, 9:41 PM
I am building Nebula Blitz three times faster! I started last evening and just have the wings to finish assembling! :shock:

Also, the kit is evil. Not 'difficult' or 'giving me trouble', but 'evil'.

[attachment=4:2x541397]023.JPG[/attachment:2x541397]

I've been watched ever since I put its head on.

[attachment=3:2x541397]032.JPG[/attachment:2x541397]

I know, I know...

[attachment=1:2x541397]001.JPG[/attachment:2x541397]

But then it started getting ideas...

[attachment=2:2x541397]009.JPG[/attachment:2x541397]

And decided it could get around just fine on only one leg.

[attachment=0:2x541397]015.JPG[/attachment:2x541397]

Still watching...

Zeta-G
December 24, 2010, 2:53 AM
I am building Nebula Blitz three times faster! I started last evening and just have the wings to finish assembling! :shock:

Also, the kit is evil. Not 'difficult' or 'giving me trouble', but 'evil'.

[attachment=4:3ikp5uaj]023.JPG[/attachment:3ikp5uaj]

I've been watched ever since I put its head on.

[attachment=3:3ikp5uaj]032.JPG[/attachment:3ikp5uaj]

I know, I know...

[attachment=1:3ikp5uaj]001.JPG[/attachment:3ikp5uaj]

But then it started getting ideas...

[attachment=2:3ikp5uaj]009.JPG[/attachment:3ikp5uaj]

And decided it could get around just fine on only one leg.

[attachment=0:3ikp5uaj]015.JPG[/attachment:3ikp5uaj]

Still watching...

A Strike/Strike Noir would look good slicing it in half.

Skittles
January 9, 2011, 9:19 PM
[attachment=2:q6284wng]009.JPG[/attachment:q6284wng]

Nebula Blitz finished! Ended up being a beautiful kit, though a little fiddly with the weaponry. I may put on some of the 'Nebula Blitz' decals this time around - haven't decided.

[attachment=1:q6284wng]034.JPG[/attachment:q6284wng]

On a whim, I grabbed Blue Frame Second's box on... Christmas Eve? And just sort of started poking. Astrays are weird, of course... Alas for the lady's backpack - pretty much guarantees that this stand will be hers for the foreseeable future. (I really need another couple 1/100 stands one of these days.)

[attachment=0:q6284wng]001.JPG[/attachment:q6284wng]

I had a few friends vote on who was next and they overwhelmingly voted for Griepe. Griepe is mint green. Seriously mint green. Comes with a ton of decals and stickers, though I'm ending up painting most of the detail on the head and a couple other places because the stickers just don't look that great.

Alas for the backpack, which leaves the kit a bit unstable and will probably cause it to take up a stand when I can round one up for it (I think the only extra I have is a red Tau Particle stand)...

Zeta-G
January 9, 2011, 9:23 PM
I really like that Nebula Blitz. Nice job on the kits, skittles! :)

GNzaku0023
January 9, 2011, 9:24 PM
man, that nebula blitz looks gorgeous. I really want one of those suckers now!!

SilverFrameAstray
January 9, 2011, 11:15 PM
OHGODOHGODOHGOD.

When I get my amatsu, ima take a nice pic and put "you mad"

Skittles
January 11, 2011, 5:17 PM
I really like that Nebula Blitz. Nice job on the kits, skittles! :)

Thanks! I was a little iffy on the Nebula at first, just because it's almost -too much- with all the random weapons and such, but it looks good once its all together!

man, that nebula blitz looks gorgeous. I really want one of those suckers now!!

Thanks! It's really worth it -- looks great on display.

Skittles
January 11, 2011, 5:28 PM
[attachment=1:38co74c3]021.JPG[/attachment:38co74c3]

And here's Griepe! Who is not so much on that stand as leaning against it. While it can hold its own weight for a time, gravity does kick in and that backpack makes it start slipping. And since it isn't a newer kit, the current display bases don't seem to have an attachment that'll hold it properly (if anyone can prove me wrong on this, please do), so there it leans... The only finished kit I can find good pictures of online show it with the back nose of the mobile armor backpack bit extended to rest on the ground and hold it, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Tons of detail and panel lines and everything else, though - I was really impressed while building. Maybe someday I can track down the rest of the set.

[attachment=0:38co74c3]001.JPG[/attachment:38co74c3]

While Griepe's paint was drying, I grabbed the first thing that said 'build me!' - a 1/144 SEED Stargazer GINN Insurgent. And my first thought was 'Hey I know that gun!' (http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/gusestgityin.html) - exact same runner as from Blue Frame. Lotsa little extra bits on the Insurgent Type, actually - new pieces on the chest, head and skirting, so far, along with the bonus weaponry (and since it doesn't carry the heavy sword, I now have an extra of those -- unless any given Exia steals it)...

SilverFrameAstray
January 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
MMM love me some Ginn.

Does that kit come with 3 little demon children?

Skittles
January 17, 2011, 8:42 PM
[attachment=1:2d21mwc6]003.JPG[/attachment:2d21mwc6]

Here's a quick shot of the GINN Insurgent. Ended up not doing the white paint on the big gun... might just be laziness there, but more that I didn't think that I could get it to look very good.

[attachment=0:2d21mwc6]002.JPG[/attachment:2d21mwc6]

I had another vote, and Wing kits always seem popular. So here's Deathscythe who is, almost amazingly, all sorts of every wrong color. As with Shenlong, I'm doing quick color-correction with gundam marker and paint, not putting too much time or anything into it... not bothering to fix the dark blue, though.

And next I have a note to myself to finish that blue GINN who really just needs a bit of paint on the wings and its monoeye, which I just found a spare sticker for.

squeam
January 17, 2011, 9:43 PM
[attachment=1:xr6o9k9r]003.JPG[/attachment:xr6o9k9r]

I had another vote, and Wing kits always seem popular. So here's Deathscythe who is, almost amazingly, all sorts of every wrong color. As with Shenlong, I'm doing quick color-correction with gundam marker and paint, not putting too much time or anything into it... not bothering to fix the dark blue, though.

Glad to see someone not completely dismissive of Gundam Markers. So many people treat them like trash and adopt this holier-than-thou attitude about 'em. I don't need to win a BAKUC championship on every kit I build--it's supposed to be FUN.

Zeta-G
January 17, 2011, 9:47 PM
[attachment=1:3696f2uk]003.JPG[/attachment:3696f2uk]

Glad to see someone not completely dismissive of Gundam Markers. So many people treat them like trash and adopt this holier-than-thou attitude about 'em. I don't need to win a BAKUC championship on every kit I build--it's supposed to be FUN.
I've always used fine point Gundam markers for my lining.

Skittles
January 17, 2011, 9:55 PM

Thank you~ That's my attitude exactly. :D

Asterisk
January 18, 2011, 8:46 AM
I got my start with Gundam markers, but they left something to be desired after a while. I just feel more comfortable with a brush nowadays.

Skittles
January 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
I can't do anything too detailed with them - any time I need to paint in head details, etc. that's all with a brush and tamiya/testors. But filling in big white areas on these Wing kits and such, totally markers.

SilverFrameAstray
January 18, 2011, 4:10 PM
I like brushes, you get a better sense of control. Both of my parents are painters, so I've been around different kinds of brushes for ages.

I just got around to painting my Lowe Geule Figurine that came with Astray several years ago. I'm just upset that my brown testors vile is super sealed shut, and I can't find my ad wrench to clamp on it and just break all of the dryed paint in the threads.

Skittles
January 19, 2011, 9:51 PM
I can make a mess either way! :D

[attachment=0:dv8b0ad7]002.JPG[/attachment:dv8b0ad7]

Here's Deathscythe mostly done. Eventually the gold stickers are going to peel, I realize, and I'll have some more painting to do then... All that's left for now, though, is to finish the front skirting.

Also that Blue GINN is still not-quite-done. About 95% now. Most of the copper is on the second coat and I did the black behind the monoeye. Still need to pick a color for another head sensor, and... I think that's it. I'll almost feel bad about just putting him up on a shelf.

Next is HG 1/144 Chaos. I like its blue eyes already.

Skittles
February 3, 2011, 9:10 PM
[attachment=0:26tylk3u]016.JPG[/attachment:26tylk3u]

Well, here's Chaos so far, along with that GINN (who just needs an eye-sticker now, I should really do that and get him off the desk). Since this picture, he's got his side-skirting, but still no chest-piece. Working on the backpack bits on and off. He's got some neat engineering and nice face, though the green plastic wants to scar a bit randomly. Painting in a few details here and here...

He was an impulse buy, but oh, I'm really happy with him.

Skittles
February 8, 2011, 6:27 PM
[attachment=1:1f92vla3]052.JPG[/attachment:1f92vla3]

Chaos is complete, as is the Blue GINN.

[attachment=0:1f92vla3]045.JPG[/attachment:1f92vla3]

A white, 1/144 Astraea is next.

Skittles
April 17, 2011, 5:04 PM
Wow, I haven't updated here in awhile! I'll have to do catch-up with a few threads.

I 'adopted' this Airmaster along with a few other older kits from a buddy. (Well, traded for a video game I didn't really care for that he really wanted...) Got it, an X, X Divider, Wing Serpent, Code Geass Vincent and a 1/144 HG Exia. Didn't realize Airmaster's v-fin was broken, but a little silvergrey paint and... battle damage!

I started on the Serpent, too, while Airmaster's paint has been drying (I'm replacing all the red stickers with paint and adding a few other little details. Nothing major, just having fun with the kit.) though I don't have any photos of it yet.

Hopefully Airmaster will be done this evening and the Serpent tomorrow.

SilverFrameAstray
April 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
Nice trade mate! Soon enough I'm about to get a box of 1/144 kits/action figures from a friend who stopped watching a while back. I'm expecting to do more with swapping about weapons and tearing some of them apart for custom parts.

Post more pictures as soon as you can!

I love the Blue/Orange/White scheme on the Ginn. That is my favorite color combo anyway haha. I might have to order another Ginn and paint it, but only after a Cgue D.E.E.P Arms type.

Skittles
June 1, 2011, 7:47 PM
I hope this works - currently working on HG 1/144 Astray Red Frame... not doing much work on the machine itself, but the sword/hilt are getting painted up a bit.

Legend and transam!Cherudim (and an SD Geminass that's hiding somewhere) are the last two before. Cherudim really surprised me. Quick build, great range of motion and overall, so happy with him. I'm quite likely to get two more of the kit (one transam, one normal) so I can have a white/red version of the machine.

And yes, Lunamaria is Cherudim's pilot.

Skittles
June 9, 2011, 9:30 PM
No pictures, since... oh, I'm just lazy tonight, but Red Frame is 99% done aside from some grey on the hilt of the Gerbera Straight, I've slapped some orange on the GINN that's basically an epic paint-test (I think you can see it in the background of any shot of my desk), and the Gadessa is lacking only a second leg, lower-torso and some accessories.

Alas the Gadessa also has a lot of stickers which I'm using... I just don't think I can replicate those paint colors easily, especially not the bright turquoise-minty green. Maybe in the future I'll fix it up properly, but for now, stickers. Interesting, weird looking unit, though. I like it, despite the sometimes-silliness of it. Not keen on a lot of Bandai's choices (some of the stickered bits have no excuse for not being actual pieces the correct color and the ankles are just lazy), but there are some good uses for the new polycaps.

Skittles
June 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
Well, Red Frame is done after a few false-starts with painting details on the Gerbera Straight and its scabbard. Eh-heh...

Calamity is just made in all the wrong colors, so I'm probably just going to change the scheme up a bit and see what happens. I'm kinda curious what the kit will look like with the neon teal it comes with.

Skittles
June 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
A picture appears!

I really like my gunmetal grey paint and would like to do a whole kit in it, but I don't know who.

(I also didn't realize Calamities were so well-endowed.)

lupes
June 13, 2011, 5:58 PM
Looking good, I can't say I've built too many SEED kits but I'm really loving the head design on it.

As for gunmetal, I've always been a for of it for suits that see a lot of action on the ground.

Skittles
June 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
While helping my parents with some household repairs, I managed to do in my back for a few days, so I'm just getting around to working on Calamity again. The neon teal is actually growing on me. And I'm surprised at the simplicity of this kit - which is not an insult at all! Since this is my relaxation hobby, it's nice to sort of find a spot of zen and build.

Cheatyface4
June 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
I actually liked the calamity. And the other drugie's suits. But you know what it needs...? Turn-A 'stache!! XD I kid, I kid. But seriously, what colors are you going to make it? I'd personally use that gunmetal to do the frame and details and then various other grays and silver for details.

Skittles
August 9, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm not terribly sure what's going on here, but it looks like an adopted Nataku is going in for surgery...

Those arm-dragons are going to be the first things to go...

GNzaku0023
August 9, 2011, 11:51 AM
Haha your work desk looks a lot like mine did five mins ago! I've been trying to clean it up since my Enact is temporarily on hold.

Skittles
August 11, 2011, 8:43 AM
Haha your work desk looks a lot like mine did five mins ago! I've been trying to clean it up since my Enact is temporarily on hold.

Mine just keeps on getting worse. I dug out all my Testors silver gloss, since I have several bottles and am using it as an under-color for Nataku, and then had a request to paint her in black and white so I dug all of those bottles out...

And then while digging more...

See, there's this kitbash photo that I've had saved for years... I've managed to hunt down enough info via metadata to guess at what show it was at and everything, but I've never found another photo of it. But one is enough...

Skittles
August 11, 2011, 8:59 AM
Earlier in the year, when I was happily adopting various critters from friends, I ended up with both a Deathscythe Hell and a Wing Zero Custom. Well, most of a Wing Zero Custom. After putting it together, it's missing a wing entirely, which is fine. Though I can only wonder where the wing and its bracket wandered off to. Even the polycap it should have gone into was missing, and I had to rummage and get one off of a SEED 1/100 pc set.

Deathscythe is sadly nubbly enough to put /m/'s infamous Blue Horror to shame. But I can fix that...

SilverFrameAstray
August 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Oh man all of these are great man. I love that teal on Calamity.

Skittles
August 14, 2011, 7:58 AM
I was just sort of piecing them together our of curiousity. Shall have to do something about the slight height difference in their legs, but that should be an easy fix. Backpacks will be another story...

(and yes, I'll have to do something with Deathscythe, though I'm not sure what...)

/random spare-bedroom background

Skittles
December 17, 2011, 3:01 PM
It's been awhile since I've had the time, clarity or desk-space, but I've finally just started to build...

Asterisk
December 17, 2011, 3:36 PM
My wife has one of those. Pretty nice kit, I have to say.

Skittles
December 17, 2011, 5:01 PM
My wife has one of those. Pretty nice kit, I have to say.

Cgues are just one of my favourite machines in general. Would have loved a 1/100 or a MG, though if I have a choice between a MG Cgue and MG Providence, I'd take the Providence.

I've got the arms and backpack on now, but my back called a time-out just after starting on the feet. It'll be a straight build with a bit of lining and paint on the sword, because unpainted heavy swords just look kinda silly.

Kenico
December 17, 2011, 6:18 PM
Like wise on a MG of Cgue my friend likewise.

Skittles
December 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
Got Xist's Cgue done yesterday, aside from the sword, which is still in the process of being painted.

I did have fun translating a bit of the storybits in the instructions...

And then started on Mikhail Coast's GINN High Maneuver. But I seem to have a fairly epic case of dropsy tonight. Ever single piece of its head had to be picked up off the floor two or three times... So I called it a night after that.

I think my upcoming build order is this GINN, trans!am!Seraphim/Seravee, Ecopla Zaku II, 1/100 Red Frame, and Throne Drei. Unless something else strikes my fancy. I should be good and just try to clear my one closet, but it never works that way.

squeam
December 19, 2011, 7:19 AM
This is pretty random, but check to see if the Drei has it's V-fin before you open the plastic. Mine did NOT come with one, but I didn't realize til I had cut open a bag. It's the only kit I've ever had to be shipped with a missing part.

Also, that CGue is looking nice. Those kits are underrated, I think. I wish the other early SEED HGs had all lived up to their standard.

Skittles
December 19, 2011, 8:36 AM
This is pretty random, but check to see if the Drei has it's V-fin before you open the plastic. Mine did NOT come with one, but I didn't realize til I had cut open a bag. It's the only kit I've ever had to be shipped with a missing part.

Also, that CGue is looking nice. Those kits are underrated, I think. I wish the other early SEED HGs had all lived up to their standard.

I know I checked mine when I got it, because of yours. Mine's fine. If I ever start playing around with resin recasting or anything, I'll make you a set for yours. (I need to make a v-fin for an adopted kit, and a couple other small parts, and those 'make your own plastic' kits at Hobby Lobby look not-too-complicated.)

The early SEED kits are a mixed bag to me. Aegis is great, Strike... isn't. Buster has some awful design as far as plastic and nub-points go (v-fin crumbled while cutting), Blitz looks good... Freedom is... not so much... I'm really curious to get the R-versions that just came out to compare in general.

Skittles
April 22, 2012, 8:24 PM
I'm not entirely sure when I started on Seraphim -- somewhere around the beginning of the year. And finally, it's together! Going to hold off on Seravee, though. I'm not sure if there's a reason that Seraphim took a particularly long time, but I'll change directions just in case.

A Trans-Am, suit, Seraphim has almost none of the pink color and mostly just the maroon-brown. Since it's mostly just a backpack, range of motion isn't stellar but still impressive. I think not having a very mobile wrists is my biggest nitpick, along with having to really fiddle with the arms to pose them at all. Legs are interesting. Feet are tiny! Seraphim will either get a stand or be posed with someone else supporting, like perhaps Cherudim (plunked down for scale, mostly).

Most of my unbuilt kits are packed/already moved, so not sure who is next. Can't wait to get fully moved and set-up at the new place, though. (And make one of those nice DIY lightboxes, perhaps?)

Forbidden Gundam
April 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Skittles, I can't see some of your pics (especially the earlier ones)

loved the CGUE, being the seed fan that I am. You're good, I can't do stuff like that because I'm just a kit builder and not a customizer.

Skittles
April 24, 2012, 8:48 AM
Skittles, I can't see some of your pics (especially the earlier ones)

loved the CGUE, being the seed fan that I am. You're good, I can't do stuff like that because I'm just a kit builder and not a customizer.

Yeah, there's a reason for that-- last year, a now-banned forum member/troll got really, really personal with insults and creepy behaviour and for my own safety/peace-of-mind, I deleted as much of my stuff here as I could, blanked my userinfo, etc. I pretty much only came back when I found out he was going to be gone. I should still have all of the pictures online somewhere or other, or on my hard drive, and can re-post at some point.

(which, for the record, is all I really want to say about that situation - it's over and done, thx)

Thank you! I'm still learning but I'm really excited to get into my new home and have space to really work on projects and everything... Soon!

(and yay SEED fans!)

Skittles
May 29, 2012, 7:44 PM
Well, since I'm allowed to do 'future kit plans' in here...

The new place-- bookcases proper are still a mess, but above them...

thwalker13
May 29, 2012, 7:55 PM
That is insane.

D-Smith
May 29, 2012, 8:44 PM
sweet baby jesus!!

Skittles
July 29, 2012, 8:29 AM
I have a bad habit of not photographing how I do my repairs, because I'm never 100% sure they'll work.

Well, I'm mostly-settled into the new place and while I haven't really had time to build anyone new, I have been doing a little work on the built kits that are slowly making the journey over. Mostly I'm just dusting, since this place is 95% less dusty than the old one, but there have been some other repairs.

For example, 1/144 Legend, who is a beautiful kit and was displayed with all of its dragoons launched, and double-saber in hand... When I went to pull apart the saber so it wouldn't get broken in transit... it broke. Snapped off with the peg in the hole. I didn't tug at an angle or even terribly hard, so I'm not sure exactly why it happened, but...

Yesterday, I sat down to fix it and what an ordeal! There was no way the peg was going to come out, so I trimmed it off flat, then took my tiniest, sharpest file (do invest in a file set - I have an eight-piece, I believe, that has been wonderful and was probably only about $5) and started 'drilling'. Admittedly, I slipped once and made a hole in one finger and managed to drop the tiiiiny piece I was working on and then it took a half-hour to find it, but once I did, I was more careful.

After drilling a hole in the tiny piece, I then drilled a hole in the handle of the saber. Into it went a piece of a paperclip (paperclips and safety pins are great for random metal pinning), glued with purple-bottle-model-glue. \o/ Left it long, so I could fit it when dry, then snipped it down and tried it with the tiny piece.

Ah... and it was just a little floppy. To fix that, I just put a tiny drop of the glue on the metal pin, put the tiny piece on, lined it up, then pulled it off super quick. If you're familiar with the glue I use, you'll know it sets quickly and the point was just to get it spread so that once it's dry, it'll peg together -- not actually glue it in place.

Once dry, it's as good as new and without close inspection, probably an invisible fix. Also probably stronger than the original.

(I can take a couple pictures of the fix, if anyone would like. And try to do step-by-steps in the future.)

Asterisk
July 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
You ought to invest in a decent pin vise. It makes drilling stuff like that a cake walk.

Skittles
October 7, 2012, 6:19 PM
I bought a pin vise! And my camera is in parts unknown... have I seen it since moving?

Pretend there's a lovely photo here of a Gouf Flight Type that still needs one arm and the weapons added. Nicely panel lines, no other real tweaks. Kit has been sitting there as just half a leg for months and yesterday I just actually had my groove back. Finally.

Also, I'm super excited that the Gouf has its own hands and all the extra polycap hands on the polycap runner are indeed extra and I can give them to a bin of poor, handless old Wing kits that I got from a friend.

Skittles
October 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
Finished the Gouf Flight Type that had been haunting my desk for ages, and built this interesting critter mostly over the weekend.

Still need to finish up her weapons.

The transformation between modes is pretty interestingly engineered. Not sure how it'd work in 'real life', but works well on the kit.

Skittles
July 6, 2015, 9:13 AM
Pretend there are pictures of Captain Coffee's shiny yellow Murasame looking fierce in the early morning sunshine.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if I'll get a chance to start on anything before the weekend. The Hy-Gogg off to the side is the old, not-HGUC kit that I got as part of a lot like six years ago and just kept not building. (And then, suddenly, I built it!)