PDA

View Full Version : Kits You Regret Buying

Gundamswag
October 5, 2012, 2:10 PM
Ok, I was just starting to regret buying a certain kit and was wondering if anyone else regretted buying a kit for any reason.

I regret buying the hg O Gundam. I was so caught up in its effect part awesomeness that I forgot to realize that I was never too crazy about the O gundam design. Also, the lack of colors makes it for a dull build for me. :/ I can't even muster up the enthusiasm it takes to finish building it.

Anyone else that regrets buying a certain kit?

Suzaku
October 5, 2012, 2:25 PM
Most of my NG UC kits. The majority of them have been redone as HGUCs anyway, and the engineering on the old NGs really, really blows. Luckily, I've only got a half dozen or so....

Gundamben831
October 5, 2012, 5:21 PM
now are we talking about the GN 000 from the 00 series? Because I bought the same kit and I really enjoyed it. But let me think back, I know I have bought some atrocious kits but most of those were the NG UC line and I kinda had my fun with destroying them. I know I bought almost all of the X and wing 1/100 NG kits they said they were HG kits but honestly if that was HG at the time, it was a huge joke. But for now I really try to avoid buying a kit I won't like only because I really study each kit before I purchase them, and half the time I'll watch a video review of it if I am still that much on the fence about purchasing that particular kit.

For me the 0 Gundam was really a iconic piece I needed for my collection only because that first scene from Gundam 00 season one the GN000 looks amazing up in the sky almost angelic one would say.

Suzaku
October 5, 2012, 5:29 PM
I know I bought almost all of the X and wing 1/100 NG kits they said they were HG kits but honestly if that was HG at the time, it was a huge joke.

Oh, those were totally HG for the time. The 1/144 NGs were so much worse.

Joe
October 5, 2012, 5:49 PM
So far out of the 400+ kits I own there has been only one kit that I wish I never would have bought.

1/100 Master Grade Hi-Nu Gundam.... from TT Hongli!
I knew going into it that the model was going to be bad. I knew there would be fragile plastic and bad parts fit and all of that, but I didn't realize HOW bad it would be! For anyone who has build the MG Hi-Nu, you know the elbow joint for the upper arm is a ring you plug the elbow joint into, they came pre-broke. The backpack armor came snapped in two. The blue beam saber blades are full of bubbles. But the worst part is the eye/head camera part is somehow too small for the head. Plug it in and get the head all built, the eyes sit fine but the head camera just barely pokes out from the head so I have to paint the inside of the mohawk silver and then clear green so it looked like the camera was sort of in there.

I mean, I know bootlegs are bad and I got what I paid for, but no other bootleg I've bought has been that bad since.

Guys, just stick with Bandai.

Focke Wulf
October 5, 2012, 6:40 PM
1/100 HG Wing Zero Custom. Why? Paid $40 for it and I could buy it for much less online :/

Zechs36
October 5, 2012, 7:19 PM
The only kit I truly regret buying was the 1/144 scale Union Flag. You wanna talk about a model that was a joke?! There was no way to cover the ball joint connecting the hands so they kept falling off. It's the only model I've ever been so pissed off with that I threw it in the garbage.

Deathscythe!
October 5, 2012, 7:19 PM
1/100 HG Wing Zero Custom. Why? Paid $40 for it and I could buy it for much less online :/
Is that kit any good at least ? I somehow intend to buy Gundam Deathscythe Hell 1/100 HG estimated to be in the same category, therefore I'm doing some investiagation concerning with it.

J-muss
October 5, 2012, 7:29 PM
I bought one of the GSaM mystery boxes last year. Kind of regret buying that, not that the kits were really all that bad just not really anything I was looking forward to receiving. I got a HG Brave Standard which I freaking love. HG Infinite Justice, which is cool looking... not really my style and to be honest I probably would never have bought. Then I got a Nobell Gundam which is just stupid IMO. Over-all though I'd say I was pleased because the box didn't cost much and at least 2/3 kits were really fun builds.

I'll buy another one this year, if they can guarantee an HGUC kit in the box... if not, then I probably won't buy one.

Akuma
October 5, 2012, 9:18 PM
Is that kit any good at least ? I somehow intend to buy Gundam Deathscythe Hell 1/100 HG estimated to be in the same category, therefore I'm doing some investiagation concerning with it.

If it's $40 for a HG you're being ripped off.

I think the only kit I ever regretted was the HGUC GP-03, I guess I was expecting something different and the final design didn't really work for me. But that was a long time ago, and maybe things have changed. I haven't wanted to build another one though. :p

Squee
October 5, 2012, 9:26 PM
I think the only kits i really regret were the MG Master Gundam (no cloak crappy rubber hands) and the HGUC Dendrobium. Bought it when i was still new so i didn't really put the effort into it that i would now, and honestly, i don't want such a big kit that takes up so much room. A mech would be fine because it's really just tall and wide, but the depth of that thing took up too much room. Glad to have sold it.

Exia
October 6, 2012, 12:26 AM
HG Cheridum GNHW and Forever Gundam so far.

ItsVince725
October 6, 2012, 12:43 AM
HGUC ZZ Gundam.

It's just so...completely unfun. I hate that I bought it, and bought it brand new no less.

The Robot Damashii figure will easily replace it.

Dlinker
October 6, 2012, 1:56 AM
HG Duel Gundam with Assault Shroud for me. I bought it as part of my plan to work with three HG kits before starting an MG kit, but I never got around to it. Now, I don't really have any drive to build it so it's kind of a waste.

Deathscythe!
October 6, 2012, 9:43 AM
If it's $40 for a HG you're being ripped off.

I think the only kit I ever regretted was the HGUC GP-03, I guess I was expecting something different and the final design didn't really work for me. But that was a long time ago, and maybe things have changed. I haven't wanted to build another one though. :p

You comprehended me enquiring after "that" improperly. I hadn't regarded the price - everything I had persuaded to ask you was whether the kit was decent or not.
According to my research, it is usually sold/offered for 1,200 Yen

Skittles
October 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
HG Cheridum GNHW and Forever Gundam so far.

Oh? I've been tempted by Forever Gundam, so I'm curious what you didn't like.

I have a Cherudim (Alphabet Soup) waiting to be built, but I've built another version of it already...

I own quite a few 'older' kits (Wing 1/144s, early SEED NGs) that certainly aren't as impressive as their newer counterparts, but I still find them valuable to practice painting on, or modifications or whatever. So while sometimes I sort of look at them funny in the 'to build' pile, I know that when I have a solid plan for them, I won't have any regret.

thwalker13
October 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
I bought the 1/100 scale Endless Waltz Nataku a long time ago. I really wish that I hadn't ever bought it. The joints in the knees are so weak that it literally will not stand. I also wish I had never bought the NG Kampfer. The coloring is horrible and the articulation is appalling.

uncleremuslegend
October 6, 2012, 4:45 PM
I dont regret any purchases...every kit has made me smile to an.extent...some just more than others....only thing I regret is not dumping more hours into my earliest kits

J-muss
October 6, 2012, 5:29 PM
I dont regret any purchases...every kit has made me smile to an.extent...some just more than others....only thing I regret is not dumping more hours into my earliest kits
That's a big thing I regret. The kit that got me back into GunPla was the HGUC Rick Dom, so excited to build it that I didn't actually cut the parts off the tree... rather I twisted and ranked on them leaving terrible marks. That was when I was a kid though.

Exia
October 6, 2012, 7:47 PM
Oh? I've been tempted by Forever Gundam, so I'm curious what you didn't like.

I have a Cherudim (Alphabet Soup) waiting to be built, but I've built another version of it already...

I own quite a few 'older' kits (Wing 1/144s, early SEED NGs) that certainly aren't as impressive as their newer counterparts, but I still find them valuable to practice painting on, or modifications or whatever. So while sometimes I sort of look at them funny in the 'to build' pile, I know that when I have a solid plan for them, I won't have any regret.

What I didn't like is that I bought it. I could've used the money for something else. After I built it it felt like such a waste of my time and money. They were lust kits, thought I liked 'em but I didn't.

Polaris Gundam
October 7, 2012, 5:11 PM
lets see...
I regret buying my 1/144:
Shadow gundam - no waist movement barely any articulation)
Epyon Gundam ( no waist movevement, very loose polycaps, Face was a sticker.)
Blitz Gundam - ZERO movement, solid arm peices, solid waist, solid legs. it was blue. its supposed to be back)
zaku phantom - no movement in joints save it for wrists and ankles solid arms solid legs no knee movement
shenlong Gundam( I bought 2 and what do ya know IT STILL BROKE!)

I don't know what the problem was.
My tallgeese II, Altron, Deathscythe Hell, Freedom and Serpent, were all 1/144 and they were good.
these others just sucked!

Skittles
October 7, 2012, 6:14 PM
Sounds like your SEED kits were the no-grades, not the high grades. Those are pretty much meant to be painted/modified/fodder/practice.

MechaGaikotsu
October 11, 2012, 9:04 AM
NG Sandrock: My first ever kit I regret buying was the NG Sandrock, with that crappy material cape. It kept falling apart, falling over, breaking. It got so bad I just threw it in the bin. It was my second kit after the master grade wing zero custom and had killed my interest in Gunpla completely.
After moving to Japan however the mass amount of gunpla around me tempted me again.

HG Unicorn Gundam The first kit I bought after my interest was rekindled. Killed it again instantly! Parts keep falling off and I lost the part that attaches the V-fin to the head. I also noticed that the display version in Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara is missing the same part, so its not just me!

Jfl0
October 13, 2012, 6:22 AM
MG Zeta C1 Plus. It's an ok kit- but I didn't like the build due to complex difficulties with the transformation mechanism, and pinning the structural integrity on the ends of two polycap joints.

GundamDX
October 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ok, I was just starting to regret buying a certain kit and was wondering if anyone else regretted buying a kit for any reason.

I regret buying the hg O Gundam. I was so caught up in its effect part awesomeness that I forgot to realize that I was never too crazy about the O gundam design. Also, the lack of colors makes it for a dull build for me. :/ I can't even muster up the enthusiasm it takes to finish building it.

Anyone else that regrets buying a certain kit?

If it's purely the colour you could buy the ACD and swap out the GN drives? Or just mod the feather to attach to another kit. I did that with the Robot Damashii Moonlight Butterfly and tied it to my 1/144 Turn-A.

On topic, I was in Japan for a holiday and most of the new kits that were out I had already bought recently, so I ended up buying some kits that I didn't really want but felt I needed to in order to make the trip a bit more memorable.

Focke Wulf
October 18, 2012, 4:33 PM
shenlong Gundam( I bought 2 and what do ya know IT STILL BROKE!)

Really? I got one and it stayed together for me. Got mine back in 2001ish and it's still in one piece.

Pitchdark
October 19, 2012, 1:01 AM
I regret buying the Rx-78-2 1.5 ver. Those arms are so bad and it can't hold its shield

Zeta
October 19, 2012, 5:43 AM
I regret getting a 1/100 HG RXF-91 Silhouette Gundam I got from a friend. It was my first kit in LONG (probably since Gundam Wing was on Cartoon Network) and while it was nice, as soon as I was introduced to my first MG (RX-79G) I looked at RXF-91 and said, "this thing is a piece of crap!" Sheesh, I was spoiled by MG's.

Gunzilla12
October 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
The MG gundam wing zero costume, I know a lot of people love this guy but I just don't fall in that category, the head is tiny, articulation is not bad, wings love to fall off.
I just hate this kit :( sorry guys.

Deathscythe!
October 29, 2012, 1:15 PM
Not our cheirshed thread! It's been ruined!

Arctic
December 7, 2012, 3:18 AM
i regret buying the 1/100 HG Wing Zero

Deathscythe!
December 7, 2012, 8:42 AM
i regret buying the 1/100 HG Wing Zero

I'd almost have purchased it, lol.

ChapelMkII
December 7, 2012, 9:36 AM
I've got three kits I regret purchasing:

The first was a kit I had bought at a local anime store. They were pretty reputable (or so I had thought), so I didn't question anything when I picked up a 1/144 Hydra Gundam from them. What a mistake that was. Turns out the store would sometimes get bootleg model kits, and it wasn't until I was halfway through the build that I realized what I was building. One part was completely unusable because of mold imperfections, so the kit never looked right when it was finished.
HG 1/144 G-Savior Space Type. I bought it before seeing the movie, and when I finished building the kit, I just couldn't stand the awkward proportioning of the whole thing. Then I saw the movie... *shudder*
FG 1/144 Strike Gundam. I had given a friend a shopping list when he went to a local convention. I was trying to get anything Sword Strike related, but since he had never seen the show, he just grabbed what was available. I didn't know what the SEED FG models were like yet at the time, so the combined shock of the model's simplistic design combined with the exaggerated convention price tag really left me hating the thing with a blinding passion.

Ginga Bishōnen
April 23, 2013, 4:00 PM
I have only ever bought two model kits that I regretted. My MG Gundam Alex is one. Its joint strength is crap and it cant hold poses at all. It is especially sad since my MG Dom was released at the same time and is 10X better. The other model kit was the Schneider Unit for my Tomy Liger Zero. Why you might ask? Because right after I spent $45 on the hard-to-find Schneider armor upgrade parts this was announced from Kotobukiya.

now compare that to this.

As you might of guessed I pre-ordered the Kotobukiya Schneider as soon as I could and have never built the Tomy one.

Squee
April 23, 2013, 5:59 PM
^You wouldnt happen to have the tomy panzer unit by any chance? I want to buy it just to have a comparison to my HMM.

I guess i kind of regret buying the koto HMM Jager Unit. I could have spent maybe 30 more for the whole thing, but i only discovered it after the fact. I started snapping it but chances are i'll never use it. :/

thwalker13
April 23, 2013, 6:31 PM
This is a hard question. There are a lot of kits that I'm disappointed in. However, I really don't regret buying any of them. Cause I've learned something from each kit that I own.

Ginga Bishōnen
April 23, 2013, 6:44 PM
^You wouldnt happen to have the tomy panzer unit by any chance? I want to buy it just to have a comparison to my HMM.

I guess i kind of regret buying the koto HMM Jager Unit. I could have spent maybe 30 more for the whole thing, but i only discovered it after the fact. I started snapping it but chances are i'll never use it. :/

no, I don't have the tomy panzer. I do have a spare tomy jager unit though, as well as extra set of red tomy liger zero armor from my liger zero x.

tc012009
April 25, 2013, 6:38 AM
I typically live to regreat, a lot of the kits I bought via online sales (spur of the moment/ impulse buys).

The one model I really regret buying was the PG 00 Raiser, I got caught up with the release hype. I still haven't built it!

gruntunitspwn
April 25, 2013, 8:05 AM
I've got an incredible backlog *ahem*
so i've got many impulse buys...
so kits i really regretted were...
1) the seed 1/144 kits. i bought them for a diorama with broken zaku phantoms... got like 10 boxes of the zaku warrior, 3 boxes of the gunner, 1 slash and a blaze... they really really suck. so much paint needed... I never finished the diorama and have a stack of half assed/painted zaku's rotting in their boxes somewhere really deep in my closet :D
2) the HG Gundam Justice and Infinite Justice
The HG Justice is out of proportion, and there is an RG. Nuff said
The Infinite attracted me with all the sabers, but the limitations of the HG really pull it down. So i got the MG :D
3)HG freedom plus meteor
I got this when i didnt know 2 craps about gunpla. Therefore no experience+fragile kit=broken kit
4)MG Unicorn.
Weak Transformation.

Asterisk
April 25, 2013, 8:35 AM
I've had few purchases in which the regret was the kit's fault, and not buyer's remorse. Mostly cases of wanting to get my plastic crack fix, but not getting a kit I'd truly cherish. Perfect example, I got a MG Marasai for like, $36. Great deal, sure, but I don't really LIKE the Marasai in general, it had just been a while since I'd built anything.

Bossguy
April 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
I regret buying the 00 gundam seven sword/g. I know, people love the 00 gundam, but the "custom hand grips" kill it for me. The weapon handles stress, and he doesn't even hold the katars at all.

Exia
April 25, 2013, 5:46 PM
I assume you mean the MG Seven Swords, cause the HG one is absolutely amazing.

thwalker13
April 25, 2013, 6:26 PM
I was looking at the MG Aile Strike 2.0 today on Gundam Guy. And I kinda regret buying the RG Aile Strike. Cause now I want the MG version. To go along with the other SEED MG kits that I want to buy.

Dlinker
April 25, 2013, 8:03 PM
Hmmm, I think I'll say my HG Blue Frame is one kit I regret buying because a newer and better Blue Frame at the same scale is available.