PDA

View Full Version : thinning enamel paint.

jlara96
September 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
Is there anything else I can use to thin enamel paint, I have very little enamel thinner and a whole gallon of lacquer thinner. Can I use that?

Suzaku
September 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Do not use lacquer thinner. At best it won't work, and at worst it will make a big mess of your paint.

Odorless mineral spirits will usually work, but you'll want to test with a small amount of paint. Otherwise, more enamel thinner.

jlara96
September 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
damn, I'm tired of using acrylic. I read somewhere that lacquer thinner can be used with enamel paint in order to make the drying faster, was that a load of crap?

Joe
September 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
You can indeed use lacquer thinner with enamels and some say it does make the paint dry faster. Be very careful of your ratios, this is best done with air brushing, not hand painting and for your sake, open a window and wear a mask.

Suzaku
September 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
I've had lacquer thinner separate and never mix with enamel paint on one occasion, and turn it into useless goop on another....

Joe
September 30, 2012, 1:03 AM
There are different types of lacquer thinner. Honestly, skip the whole mess and use lighter fluid. Lacquer thinner can work, does work, it's a pain in the rear and can eat or pit your plastic if you're not absolutely careful.

If you're dead set on using up the lacquer thinner you have do a thorough search on the type of lacquer thinner you have when used with the enamel paint you have.

Jfl0
September 30, 2012, 3:01 PM
I have used laquer thinner to thin my enamels while airbrushing. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary. It was a generic brand purchased at a hardware store called The Home Depot. I plan on using mine up and switching to mineral spirits.

gdx9902
October 10, 2012, 7:25 PM
You can use mineral spirits, varasol, or Zippo lighter fluid to thin out your enamel paints.

If you are going to airbrush with the enamel paints, I recommend mineral spirits, or varasol. Zippo Lighter fluid tends to cause the enamel paint to clump together which will clog your airbrush.