PDA

View Full Version : Robot Spirits panel-lining?

Shiro45
September 24, 2012, 3:16 PM
Disclaimer: I didn't know where to put this since they're technically not model kits, so if there's an appropriate place in the modeling forum, I welcome the moderators to move this topic...

So I finally picked up my first Robot Spirits Gundam, the RX-93 Nu Gundam. My problem is that the face comes panel-lined (very well done, too), but the rest does not. It comes off very uneven, and I was wondering if anybody else has panel-lined a Robot Spirits figure. I usually panel-line using citadel acrylics and wiping of excess, but I'm not sure if the plastic would be too porous... Any thoughts?

Joe
September 24, 2012, 3:55 PM
I've never done it myself either. I would try it out on an inconspicuous spot first and see what happens.

Dlinker
September 24, 2012, 9:06 PM
I've tried panel lining the RD Unicorn Full Action Version with a .3mm lead pencil and it looks alright. After that, I tried to panel line the RD Sinanju with a gundam marker and the wiping it. Below are the results on some sections I did as a test. The places I lined were the head, left shoulder armor, and left leg side-thruster. Pardon the dust, I haven't been played with him for a while, haha:

3482 3483 3484

Even without a gloss coat, I don't see why your usual method won't work, although it will probably take a bit more effort since it's on bare plastic (or maybe it will be less effort?). I didn't gloss coat any of mine and either the pencil lead or the marker get the job done. The plastic on them is thicker than those on a kit, but they shouldn't be more porous.