PDA

View Full Version : Matte Clear Coat Frosting Effect?

ratfacedudeguy
September 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
I sprayed some parts of my HY2M Gouf down with Mr. Hobby matte finish clear coat, and for some reason all of the parts now have a hazy white frosted type of appearance. I'm talking bad. You can barely see any if the blue or black underneath. Why is this? And what can I do to correct it? Did I just lay it down too thick? As always, any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

thwalker13
September 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
I had that problem with my HGUC Banshee kits that I custom painted. My issue was that I didn't shake it up enough. As for removing it, you'll most likely have to take some thinner and remove the clear coat and retry it. I will advise to try putting the coat down a test part. Just to make sure that it doesn't do it again.

ratfacedudeguy
September 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Alright then. That seems odd in my particular situation because I was almost certain that I had shaken it more than enough. What would you suggest using to remove the clear coat?

ratfacedudeguy
September 22, 2012, 8:49 AM
Alright, after some more research I found a guy who experienced the exact same problem and his conclusion was that he just used too much too quickly. That makes more sense since I did lay it on pretty thick, and when I saw the frosting start to show I tried to remedy it by spraying even more (lol). I have the parts soaking in some SuperClean right now, and after a super quick peek at the parts before work this morning it seems like it's starting to work. Hopefully it does the trick by tonight so I can pick it right back up tomorrow after I take a trip to the hobby shop for some more clear coat.

thwalker13
September 22, 2012, 11:38 AM
Nice. Well hopefully you can get those parts looking good again. Which Gouf are you working on? HG, MG, GG?

ratfacedudeguy
September 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Glorious Series 1/60 scale. That's the disadvantage I guess to only having super high end models accessible. But hey, someone had to be a guinea pig at some point in time right?

On the bright side I did have some pretty decent success trying out my first panel line wash on him last night. My plans for this model are ultimately to trim off all the clip marks to the best of my ability, solder all of the wiring for more stable lighting, and to completely panel line and matte finish it all over. The parts that I sprayed so far are most of the ones on the right hand side and the torso that don't have any panel lines, and the ones that did require panel lining I started off by gloss coating them with Future, and I'll give it a final spray of the matte topcoat once the panel lining and cleanup is perfect -- no decals on this one. So it's definitely going to be a project, but it'll be a fine choice for my first (almost) totally finished kit.

Offtopic side note: For the parts that are black but could use panel lining such as the bottom of the feet and the elbow joints, would it be a better idea for me to panel line in silver or just leave it black as is?

ratfacedudeguy
September 22, 2012, 8:12 PM
Update: The SuperClean seems to be working, as I'm now easily able to scrape the clear coat off with my thumbnail. It's not quite as softened as I'd like it to be though so I'm going to let the parts soak for a few more days. If that doesn't do the trick I'll bust out the old Easy Off can and give that a careful application. Man, it sucks that this stuff is so much harder to take off than it is to put on. That's life I guess...

ratfacedudeguy
September 23, 2012, 7:58 PM
Urg... Kinda starting to get pissed here. I picked up some Model Masters flat top lacquer and for absolutely beautiful results. I ran out maybe halfway through because they only come in super small cans, so I picked up done more Mr Super Clear and it's starting to frost again despite my efforts to lay it on much lighter this time around. It's not nearly as severe as the first time, but it is definitely noticeable and extremely annoying. I think this just might be a sign that the Model Masters brand could be the way to go for me. It's much much cheaper too if I remember correctly.

Suzaku
September 23, 2012, 8:54 PM
Huh. That's an odd issue you're having with the Mr. Super Clear. I've used the Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat on both Vayeate and Devil Gundam, without incident. I do have frosting problems with Games Workshop's Purity Seal, but that's a known issue with that product.

The only things I can think of are make sure you shake the can thoroughly (a minute or three) before spraying, lay on thin coats with quick passes, and don't spray when it's really humid out.

It is possible to get a bad can every now and again no matter what you buy, but it sounds like you're running into frosting more often than should be reasonable, even with that.

ratfacedudeguy
September 23, 2012, 9:40 PM
I scraped off a bit of the offending area and decided to conduct a quick experiment. I went back outside and gave the freshly scraped area just a quick light spritz and it seemed to dry fine with no frosting. My only other guess is even though I was taking extra care to spray lightly before, for the Mr Hobby spray, a coat so light I'm not sure if it's even covering the entire surface seems to be the only way to guarantee that it won't frost.

It's frustrating because the Model Masters product allowed me much more wiggle room in terms of generosity of the spray and it never frosted once on me -- in fact the finish turned out absolutely beautiful. This is my second can of the Mr Hobby spray mind you, so I think it's safe to rule out the bad can theory. I did make sure to shake very generously, and the humidity was down today so that couldn't be it either.

Do you guys have any suggestion as to a solution that will effectively strip the topcoat? I'm starting to lose faith in Super Clean since I was able to scrape off the topcoat with my thumbnail just as easily on the freshly dried part as I was with the parts that had been soaking in Super Clean for 2 days.

thwalker13
September 23, 2012, 11:02 PM
I normally use a q-tip dipped in some thinner to remove the top coat. I just lightly rub the top coat with it until its gone. I use Model Masters for my top coat. And have had some issues of my own with my 00 Raiser project. But now that I have found the right top coat. I'm super happy with the results that Model Masters have given me. So I would just stick with the Model Masters top coat. I have been using their enamel based super gloss top coat for my 00 Raiser. And I couldn't be happier with the results.

ratfacedudeguy
September 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
Very cool. After these next couple cans of Mr Super Clear are done, I think I'll be stocking to Model Masters as well.

I actually just had some pretty great results stripping the clear coat using Easy Off oven cleaner. Let 'em soak for about 2 hours and most of it just peeled right off with a light scrub down with a toothbrush. I was hesitant to use it at first because of how nasty it is to work with. I've used it to strip anodizing from aluminum and I had to work super fast to avoid pitting problems, but I was surprised by how gentle it seemed to be on the plastic.

thwalker13
September 24, 2012, 1:15 PM
I'm glad you found a way of stripping it off. When I read you had used oven cleaner I stared to get worried. Ive used oven cleaner before while working on cars. And it eats away pretty much anything.

ratfacedudeguy
September 24, 2012, 2:44 PM
Oh yeah, believe me when I read about people using that stuff I wanted to use that only as a last resort for that very reason. The smell of that stuff always chokes me too, even when outside wearing a mask. It's going to require a couple more applications to get it all off but at this point I'm just happy that at least something is working.