PDA

View Full Version : Dlinker's Completed Collection

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:15 PM
I mentioned in some posts here the kits I've worked on and I figure it's time to start showing them. My apologies for the picture quality of everything here, I took a lot of them on short notice.

HG Age-1 Normal:

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:16 PM
HG Astray Blue Frame:
3390 3391 3392

thwalker13
September 16, 2012, 8:17 PM
You AGE-1 looks really good man. And your M1 Astray looks awesome.

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:18 PM
HGUC Zaku Sniper Yonem Kirks version (fully painted and with Bandai decals):

3393 3394 3395 3396 3397

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:31 PM
HG QanT with GN IV Full Saber (fully painted, but the kit itself is only matte coated with Bandai decals):

3398 3399 3400

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:34 PM
HGUC Banshee Destroy Mode, which is still waiting on decals :( Fully painted and my apologies for the lighting. Yes, I have him wielding the Anti-Ship Sword from the RG Skygrasper, haha:

3403 3404

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:37 PM
MG God/Burning Gundam. OOB with only the green parts on the head painted with the Metallic Green gundam marker (eyes are stickers):

3405 3406

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:39 PM
MG Strike Noir, another OOB kit with Gundam Marker used for the metallic blue details. Panel lines on all kits so far have been done with .03mm pencil lead:

3407 3408 3409

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:42 PM
MG Epyon Ver. Ka. OOB again with the green parts on the torso and legs painted with Metallic Green gundam marker:

3410 3411 3412

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:45 PM
MG MK.II Titans Version 2.0. OOB with painted gun, shield, inner frame, thrusters, and other minor details. This was my test kit using automotive clear coat, then followed up with Mr. Hobby Matte Topcoat:

3413 3414 3415 3416

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:48 PM
RG Aile Strike. OOB with minor painted details. Tried to do an acrylic wash on it with bare plastic and it didn't turn out too well....

3418 3419 3420

Dlinker
September 16, 2012, 8:52 PM
You AGE-1 looks really good man. And your M1 Astray looks awesome.

Thanks for the compliment. I've decided to "update" the Blue Frame later on with a better paint job. I did a crappy job painting the details and the shield with Gundam Markers, I think.

At least now I know I didn't do too bad of a job with them, being the first two kits I worked on since starting the hobby :)

thwalker13
September 17, 2012, 7:24 AM
You're other kits look great man. Glad to see another fan of the Epyon. After seeing yours I kinda wish I had put all the decals on mine. Your Banshee looks great too.

Dlinker
September 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks again for the kind words :). You're an Epyon man also? I got the kit to challenge myself after reading that the dark colors were a pain to work with when de-nubbing them. A few firsts for me when I worked on it: first time sanding dark-colored parts, first time working with Dry Transfer decals, and first time I did the panel lines using a gundam marker. My only complaints with it are the front skirts since they inhibit the poseability a bit (and they keep popping off) and how it has its own way to mount on a stand. And the decals, now that I think back on it. Dry transfers on curved surfaces is not fun. At all.

The Banshee was a ton of work with a good number of long stories to go with it. I've been meaning to find parts to create a second set of forearms so I can swap out between the claw/beam smartgun combo with normal hands without taking them apart. Sadly, I think the only way to do it is buy the kit again.

On a somewhat related note, I think I'll need to take better pictures of some of my kits again. Too much light and shadow, haha.

Dlinker
October 6, 2012, 7:31 PM
Here are some photos of my HGUC Banshee Destroy Mode again, now that it is officially completed. Finished applying the custom decals from SamuelDecal (which were not as easy since they weren't pre-cut and didn't have a protective topcoat on them), then brushing on a flat coat of Future.

3604 3605 3606 3607 3608

thwalker13
October 6, 2012, 9:11 PM
Man, your HGUC Banshee looks amazing. Really makes me wish I had gotten the stickers for mine.

Dlinker
October 7, 2012, 12:19 AM
Your comments are much appreciated, as always. I remember you saying you still had plans for your Banshee later on. These special decals will be a good place for you to start. They cost me about $17 (with shipping already) for both the gold and white versions and there's plenty of them on the sheets, if you want to use them for other kits. Just remember to use some decal top-coating solution first or else you'll start rubbing out the decals as you cut them. I found out the hard way after accidentally rubbing a few out as I held the sheet down to cut :(

V0LTES-V01
November 3, 2012, 11:18 AM
Awesome collection comrade! Diggin that 00 Quanta and Banshee!

Jfl0
November 5, 2012, 4:48 PM
Dlinker: If I didn't already say it, that HG Banshee is boss. Great job on the decals.

Dlinker
November 5, 2012, 6:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. Always appreciate it :) I haven't put anything up here yet because I've been too lazy to take pictures and I'm too busy trying to finish my trio of HGUC Jesta kits. I'm buying one of those light box/tent things to make it easier to take pictures of my kits so we'll see how that goes.

Dlinker
November 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Finally got a chance to test out that light tent/cube thing. I still need more practice with it, but I'm happy with the results. First up is one I finished some two months ago: the recently-released 1/72 HMM Zoids Berserk Fuhrer.

OOB with gloss coat on the armor pieces, some Tamiya metallic grey here and there along with some Tamiya titanium gold to make it match the illustration on the box.

3797 3798 3799 3800 3801

Dlinker
November 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
3802 3803 3804 3805 3806

Dlinker
November 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
3807 3808

Dlinker
November 17, 2012, 11:51 PM
Next up is the HGUC Jesta x3. First time using an airbrush on them and I went with a color scheme to match the illustration on the box again. I didn't want to do anything complex with them as my main goal was to make sure I learn how to use the airbrush correctly. Modified the weapons a bit to add variety as well as providing a separate weapon for one of them. Big learning process with these three and many firsts as well. Love the design; very practical and versatile.

3809 3810 3811 3812 3813

Dlinker
November 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
3814 3815 3816 3817

Jfl0
November 18, 2012, 9:43 AM
Great job Dlinker! I love the color scheme and the detail you put into the kit. Slightly jelly/ want a Jesta. Welcome to airbrushing :) I am intermediately knowledgeable on it- let me know if you need any help with it/troubleshooting.

thwalker13
November 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Amazing work man. Love the work you did on the Jesta trio.

Dlinker
November 18, 2012, 2:57 PM
Thank you all for the good words. I got lucky with the Jesta. Most places have them sold out nowadays, but I was able to buy these three from HLJ three months ago after not being able to find them in stock on any domestic online retailers. A bit pricey, but worth it. My apologies if doing this caused them to get sold out much quicker, haha.

@Jfl0, I do have some questions regarding airbrushing. First one is how the paint should be feeling after laying down the basecoat. I use Vallejo Model Color thinned to a ratio of 2 parts Windex to 1 part paint (yeah, I know these aren't meant for airbrushing, but I'm a cheapskate so I'm using what I already have) and though the color looks proper after spraying it on, it feels rather grainy and coarse to the touch. This is after letting it sit for three days. I prime the parts using Vallejo Surface Primer, which wasn't sanded and felt smooth to the touch after letting it sit for 24 hours. I painted the kits with a .2mm needle in the AB at 15-20 PSI. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

My first hunch is maybe I'm spraying too far or not moving the AB fast enough as I spray, possibly causing the paint to clump up in tiny amounts. Second hunch is that I'm simply not letting the paint cure. I checked my spoons that I tested the initial colors on, which have been sitting there for nearly four weeks now, and they feel rather smooth. Painted at exactly the same conditions as when I painted the kits themselves, although I moved the AB much more when I was spraying the spoons and may have used a .5mm needle.

As much as I wanted a smooth finish on the Jesta, I have to admit that I don't regret the resulting textured appearance. Makes them more rugged to me :)

Jfl0
November 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hmmm. I have had situations where I had a slightly more grainy texture with kits. It typically happens on a white. I decided to lay down another coat and it smoothed itself out. My best guess is that the paint hasn't cured 110%. It may be that your mixture is ever so slightly paint heavy. I have heard windex is ok for thinning acrylics, but I have not tried it. I've thinned with tap water before, and I know somebody on here would smack me for that :p. Isopropyl alcohol can be used, but be warned- it dries the paint fast, and can cause dry tip. I get dry tip around 75% of the time when painting an acrylic white, so I switched to an enamel white.

In my experience, the grainy texture is more common with enamels. Try these steps to see if anything helps:

1) Increase your distance from the part and the airbrush.
2) Air pressure check. The pressure might be too high and you may be too close.
3) Is your paint the consistency of milk? perhaps try thinning it ever so slightly more?
4) Did you mix the paint well enough?
5) IDK :|

That is how I would diagnose it if I was right there. Give those things a try and see if they help.

Dlinker
November 24, 2012, 3:49 PM
@Jfl0,

Yep, I will go through those steps, as well as giving the paint more time to cure before applying a gloss coat. Your suggestions are much appreciated, thank you. I have dropper bottles that I use to pre-mix my paint in (using a minute of vigorous shaking as my mixing method) before putting it in the AB so I'm hoping that mixes the paint enough...

I have an HGUC Delta Plus that I'll fully paint and with two MG kits (Sword Impulse and Hi-Nu) in my backlog ready to be worked on so that will give me plenty of things to do to keep me busy as it sits there curing. I'm going to be experimenting on different thinners as well prior to that. Vallejo Model Color can be thinned with either distilled water (and tap, which I've done before without much issue so it does work :)) or Windex. I'm going to try distilled water again, this time pre-mixed with the paint in a 10ml dropper bottle rather than mixing it in the AB itself. I'm also going to try Liquitex airbrushing medium combined with a drop or two of Future after reading up on it on another modeling forum. I won't try alcohol since it's been proven to turn VMC paints into a gelatinous goop.

Regarding dry tip, I had that happen to me a number of times with my Windex-thinned mixture. I believe that's a sign that my mix may indeed be a bit too heavy on the paint pigments so I'll try again with slightly less paint (maybe go back to my 3 parts thinner, 1 part paint ratio). I had this mentality that you only need a layer or two of paint when I was airbrushing the Jesta trio hence a heavy paint mixture, but after reading up some more tutorials, it's not the case. It's too cold here to paint for the time being, but I'm going to be referring to everything here once I get a chance to paint again.

I must say, 'tis a very exciting prospect even if it's just experimenting :)

Gundamben831
November 26, 2012, 5:46 PM
your Jesta's turned out fantastic. I can't wait to build mine with the jabber base as well. As for finding these online, yeah it does prove to be a bit difficult but in the long run they are completely worth the purchase.

Dlinker
November 26, 2012, 6:40 PM
@Gundamben831,

I hear you, they're great kits. I have a few MSG weapon packs available that I'm going to work on soon. One of the reasons I went with the Jesta is how appropriate they look no matter what weapon they have in their hands. Too bad I wasn't able to get the big minigun :( They'll have to make do with dual gatling lasers and heat hawks, haha.

I think they'll look better with the Base Jabber, but they're great on their own as well. Are you planning on sticking with the HG version or waiting it out for the MG version?

TheMeatheadGeek
December 5, 2012, 1:43 PM
holy hell i love the paint job on that Zaku Sniper!!!

Dlinker
December 5, 2012, 2:44 PM
@TheMeatheadGeek,

Haha, glad you liked it. It was my first attempt doing a camo paint job (with a brush too) and I thought it came out okay. Looked more ghetto than I expected, but that's become part of the kit's charm :)

TheMeatheadGeek
December 6, 2012, 9:15 PM
i own a Berserk Fuhrer model as well!!! You got me wanting to build it now

Dlinker
December 7, 2012, 12:38 AM
The recently-released one or the older version? Regardless, you should build it, haha. It's a good kit and offers plenty of opportunities for customizing. Has a good amount of parts too so it can be a lengthy build.

NoZakuBoy
February 5, 2013, 10:36 PM
Your Jestas look like a mobile suit SWAT team. Awesome work. All these kits look great.

Just out of curiosity, between HG, RG, and MG which do you prefer?

Dlinker
February 5, 2013, 11:03 PM
Glad you like them, NoZakuBoy! Thinking about them makes me yearn for warm weather so I can start playing around with an airbrush again, haha.

Overall, I prefer MG's because you get more flexibility and ease in terms of painting them and customizing them without the need to spend a boatload of time on it. Yeah, the selection isn't as vast and they get pricey at times, not to mention taking way longer to build, but they just feel better once built. Close second would be HG's simply because they're very affordable and are just begging to be customized in some way, haha.

Dlinker
March 24, 2013, 2:33 AM
It's been a long time since I finished a kit. So long that it feels odd to know that kit is done, haha. Here's the first of a trio of MG kits I've been working on since last October: The MG Infinite Justice.

4608 4609 4610 4611 4612

Inner frame and metallic parts are painted with Tamiya Titanium Silver. V-fin is painted with Tamiya Titanium Gold and some Clear Yellow. Rifle is painted with a mix of Vallejo Gloss Black and Gun Metal.

Main thing I was going for with this kit was some practice with weathering and painting inner frames. The weathering was done with Model Masters enamel flat black and drab. I wanted a different kind of weathering, something that says this Gundam has been fighting up close for a while and has been getting smudged up with the molten metal and oil/fluid from the enemy suits it's been cutting up. I didn't do any chipped paint effects because I felt it doesn't apply to something that uses VPS armor.

Experienced some issues with it, mainly with the joints. Ended up having to sand various areas so the paint on the joints won't get scraped. I painted over the scrapes, but the damage is still visible. I left it as is.

Dlinker
March 24, 2013, 2:34 AM
Here are some action shots (pardon the blurriness of a couple of them):

4613 4614 4615 4616 4617

I find this kit incredibly articulated but still very solid and I just looooove how the side skirts are designed. Mounting it on an action base is stupid easy too with no looseness at all.

Easily one of my favorite kits ever.

I just know I'm going to be changing its poses often as times goes by. It just begs to be put in different poses :)

Edimasta
March 24, 2013, 7:06 AM
Awesome work, love it :)

Brotzmann
March 24, 2013, 8:47 AM
It looks really good! It looks like it has great poseability, the poses you took pictures of are cool.

Ume
March 24, 2013, 9:23 AM
Fantastic!

thwalker13
March 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
Awesome work man. The weathering you did looks great. And the colors match spot on for the Justice.

Dlinker
March 24, 2013, 12:33 PM
Your words are much appreciated, everyone. Thank you very much :)

If anyone is wondering, I didn't paint any of the armor pieces at all. Just clear coated, weathered, then flat coated. I thought the pink colors were already good-looking out of the box. The yellow on the v-fin and Fatum's nosecone...well, I thought gold might work better, although it ended up looking like a candy coat instead. Lesson learned: never mix Tamiya Leaf Gold and Titanium Gold together because the Titanium Gold will always win out.

It's not as apparent in the photos, but there's an obvious difference in the sheen for the metallics on the Fatum thrusters/intakes compared to the inner frame. My curiosity got the better of me when I decided to leave out the gloss black undercoat for the Fatum and just paint the Titanium Silver on top of primer only.

Next up, hopefully within a few days, is the MG Hi-Nu.

NoZakuBoy
March 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
If anyone is wondering, I didn't paint any of the armor pieces at all. Just clear coated, weathered, then flat coated. I thought the pink colors were already good-looking out of the box.

I was wondering about that actually. I was surprised by just how pink the kit actually is. I've never watched SEED and probably never will, but in the images I've seen the Infinite Justice always looked more maroon.

Nonetheless, that's a great looking kit you've got there Dlinker! I'm looking forward to the MG Hi-Nu.

Deathscythe!
March 24, 2013, 1:09 PM
What decent model you've built there.

Keep up the good work.

cellastra
March 24, 2013, 3:16 PM
WOW! I would give more than just two thumbs up if I had anymore~ lol!
That is one awesome Justice! Totally whoops my RG x10000000>>>

Dlinker
March 24, 2013, 6:14 PM
Thanks a bunch for the compliments, fellow good sirs :)

@NoZakuBoy, you're right, the color of the IJ seems to change often depending on the media. The kit box and manual seems to fancy the pink, while lineart and certain Destiny anime promotional material leans more towards a maroon color. The Fatum is the same thing; either dark maroon like the Epyon's colors or more on the dark purple side. Kinda annoyed me for a while, haha. I always have a hard time picking and sticking with a color.

@cellastra, I don't know, I think mine can compare with your RG Justice just as easily. Everything I did on it you can do with ease after a bit of practice :) For the record, I suck at hand brushing metallics on large areas and that's why I went with the AB for painting the inner frame and other metallic parts. And the flat coat...AB for that too. The rest was done by hand, even the gloss coating.

One other thing, I broke one of the pieces on the Fatum...hopefully no one spots the last-minute fix...

cellastra
March 25, 2013, 9:28 AM
Don't be so modest~ ;)
Despite it all..I still believe you did a fantastic job with it!

V0LTES-V01
March 25, 2013, 8:21 PM
Awesome job with the Infinite Justice! I look forward to your future projects! How about an MG Strike Freedom? It'd be cool to pair Infinite Justice with its brother in arms.

Dlinker
March 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks Voltes!

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the Strike Freedom :( My poor IJ will be lonely until the Sword Impulse gets completed. I know, they're from different scenes and events, but better than nothing, haha. I can at least pair the Sword Impulse with my Metal Build Freedom, though.

Oooh, I think I will, and I have just the space for it on my shelf :)

Dlinker
April 7, 2013, 1:01 AM
Finally got time to take pictures of both the Hi-Nu and Sword Impulse. First up is the MG Hi-Nu. Did some comparison pics to show how it went from OOB to what it is now:

http://s20.postimg.org/xv3rj134p/comp_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xv3rj134p/)
http://s20.postimg.org/innryoba1/comp_4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/innryoba1/)

Here are the close-ups:

http://s20.postimg.org/lach73h95/Face_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/lach73h95/) http://s20.postimg.org/dzcdh8bh5/hng_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dzcdh8bh5/) http://s20.postimg.org/y5fvg474p/hng_4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y5fvg474p/) http://s20.postimg.org/uw1g9nj15/hng_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/uw1g9nj15/) http://s20.postimg.org/ui04a1yxl/DSC_4039.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ui04a1yxl/) http://s20.postimg.org/ti9tecjrt/hng_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ti9tecjrt/) http://s20.postimg.org/6zybhvbix/hng_8.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6zybhvbix/)

This was the first of the three MG kits I planned on practicing weathering on. I was going for a grungy, dirty, oily look reminiscent of the official artwork portrayal of Games Workshop's Imperial Guard since this is a UC suit and we all know UC is bit more rugged than usual. The box also implied that this suit did get its hands dirty so I weathered areas that I thought would get dirtied up after getting up close and personal with either enemy suits or the ruins of enemy suits. Same deal with the fins; I figure they would be flying through debris and/or recently blasted enemies as they scoot around in space. I do believe I overdid the weathering to the point where the following day, I had to remove a good amount since it seemed overkill and downright ridiculous. The shield especially...may have been too much.

Only parts that were painted are the inner frame and metallic areas due to the nub marks, as well as the insides of the thrusters (handpainted with Tamiya Titanium Gold). I painted that little area of the hands metallic green too since it looked like a camera thingy (maybe for helping with aiming?) I opted against detailing the exposed inner frame since I liked the contrast between the brighter white/blue/metallic and deep blank black. In low light, it looks like the kit is held together with shadows.

The eyes were done using a wash where I painted Tamiya Titanium Gold, clear coated with Future, then washed with enamel flat black. I think it worked well, although you can't tell from the photo. Action shots coming up soon.

Dlinker
April 7, 2013, 1:03 AM
And here are the action shots with some more close-ups. Nothing fancy; it's UC after all and they don't do fancy poses :) :

http://s20.postimg.org/5v49chp21/hng_6.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5v49chp21/) http://s20.postimg.org/9vbeoqfix/hng_9.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/9vbeoqfix/) http://s20.postimg.org/g8vwe8v15/DSC_4027.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/g8vwe8v15/) http://s20.postimg.org/8qhcjct21/hng_7.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8qhcjct21/) http://s20.postimg.org/v64df989l/DSC_4030.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v64df989l/) http://s20.postimg.org/g8vwe8v15/DSC_4027.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/g8vwe8v15/)

Finally, the set piece:

http://s20.postimg.org/rzef9dd7d/hng_f.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rzef9dd7d/)

This kit has a presence to it and even as it sits on my shelf, it tells you that it's the king of the pack. Can't wait to see how it measures up against its predecessor, the legendary Nu.

cellastra
April 7, 2013, 2:14 AM
Dude...you are a Pro!! :eek:

http://s21.postimg.org/v6t4nnlg3/Thumbs_Up.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v6t4nnlg3/)

The Hi-Nu is freaking awesome man! I thought the weathering you did was perfect.
Realistic to the point that I actually believe that it has been in battle~ :D

Though you only painted a few parts, it still seems like you had your hands all over the kit. Haha.
Now I can't wait to see what became of your Sword Impulse~

thwalker13
April 7, 2013, 10:47 AM
Dude, that is one awesome looking kit. Makes me really want to hurry up and get one myself. Your weathering looks really great as well man. Love it!

Deathscythe!
April 7, 2013, 12:15 PM
Omg,this kit is a beauty.
I take it you use airbrush, am I correct?

Dlinker
April 7, 2013, 1:44 PM
Many thanks, guys :) I'm also glad to see the weathering doesn't look as hokey as I think it is, haha.

@thwalker13, have you checked out the Hi-Nu Gundoom yet? Depending on which design you favor, that one may be more ideal. Certainly more detailed.

It being my second UC MG kit, I was very impressed. For those of you who like detailed inner frames, this is one that will make you wet your pants. Articulation is amazing with the highlight being its ability to do a realistic kneeling pose. It really makes me wonder why Bandai doesn't incorporate it and other sensible designs (like the Infinite Justice's side skirts that can rise to a full 90 degrees without touching the upper torso and obstructing the legs) more, especially when you consider these are older kits. Aside from the weathering, not detailing the frame is my other only regret. I'll have to make up for it with the Nu Ver. Ka.

@Deathscythe!, yep, I used my Iwata HP-CS to paint the metallic parts (excluding the back of the shield). Clear coat and flat coat was applied using my cheapo Master G44 AB.

I should be able to post up the Sword Impulse later today.

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 12:22 AM
Excellent job with the weathered effect! You applied it so well that it really does look like it survived a grand war! Can we look forward to battle scars next?

Dlinker
April 8, 2013, 12:31 AM
Haha, thanks for the praise, Voltes!

Yeah, I think I will do battle scars next. Probably on an AGE HG kit to show that even they can get down and dirty. Hmmm, now that's an idea.

Dlinker
April 8, 2013, 1:11 AM
Here is the last of my trio of weathered kits, none other than Mr. Angry's first Gundam: The MG Sword Impulse

Comparison pics first from OOB to the end result:

http://s20.postimg.org/3lkqfh5i1/comp_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3lkqfh5i1/) http://s20.postimg.org/yttbcsv89/comp_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yttbcsv89/)

Yeah, I got the wing boomerangs backward in the OOB pic...Kinda rushed with the snap-build...

Here are some close-ups:

http://s20.postimg.org/9775jj66x/DSC_4068.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/9775jj66x/) http://s20.postimg.org/ovcy42b6h/DSC_4072.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ovcy42b6h/) http://s20.postimg.org/qgs7vvleh/Untitled_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/qgs7vvleh/) http://s20.postimg.org/ro65o3bix/DSC_4071.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ro65o3bix/) http://s20.postimg.org/ovcy42b6h/DSC_4072.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ovcy42b6h/) http://s20.postimg.org/707i9cqah/Untitled_6.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/707i9cqah/)

I didn't like the yellow so I changed it to Tamiya Titanium Gold. Added some clear yellow to the V-fin and cross on the shield to make them stand out more. Painted vents on the shoulders and wing boomerangs with a mix of Vallejo Flat Black and Metallic Medium to give it a dirty metallic look (hard to see in these pics). Also painted some of the vents in the backpack with enamel gold to keep with the theme. I was feeling realistic (meaning boring) about the inner frame so like the Hi-Nu, I painted it Flat Black with a light mist of Gun Metal. The contrast seems to work well here too. This was also the first time I tried using Vallejo Matt Varnish with my AB. It worked well, much better than my Future w/ Tamiya Flat Base, but I seem to suck at gauging the coat so I sprayed a tad too heavily.

The decal work is meh; I had to rely mostly on stickers and dry transfers because Samuel Decal's sheet didn't have the variety I wanted. Of course, a week after applying the final clear coat, I found the official Bandai waterslides...I'm still miffed at myself about it.

The weathering plan for this one was to give it a purpose (as opposed to the first try for the Hi-Nu and the subdued attempt with the Infinite Justice). Since this is a primarily melee-oriented suit, I thought to try out making it look like it's spent a good deal of time up close with the enemy. To do that, I weathered the limbs and weapons more than the upper torso and head. The legs I dirtied up extra because of the box art where the suit was standing on a sea-faring battleship it just destroyed. I figured maybe Shinn did that a few times, possibly even kicking the ships or at least digging his feet in the mess more than once, resulting in some dried molten steel, oil, and asphalt all over the legs. Not sure if I overdid the weathering on the anti-ship swords. I know those are the primary weapons so they get used frequently, but still. The beam boomeranges are like wings so I gave them a more streaked weathered look.

Action shots coming up.

Dlinker
April 8, 2013, 1:13 AM
Here are the action shots/better poses. Tried to make it fancy since it's SEED Destiny, haha:

Mimic of the box art pose
http://s20.postimg.org/qcyefmfx5/Untitled_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/qcyefmfx5/)

Shinn feeling like a samurai
http://s20.postimg.org/tl2vso26x/Untitled_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/tl2vso26x/)

Beam boomerangs in action
http://s20.postimg.org/ivp70eqe1/Untitled_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ivp70eqe1/)

A little battle scene with the Metal Build Freedom, with Shinn feeling too angry too quickly to notice that Jesus Yamato always brings guns to a sword fight. That stand for the MB Freedom isn't that good so it's hard to pose him how I want him.
http://s20.postimg.org/idpg6tbfd/conf_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/idpg6tbfd/) http://s20.postimg.org/5xsqd2i3d/conf_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5xsqd2i3d/) http://s20.postimg.org/rixt0oeu1/conf_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rixt0oeu1/)

I love the attitude of the Sword Impulse and it makes a fitting comparison with its fellow, the Infinite Justice. Unlike the IJ and its refined capabilities, this one just exudes rage and frustration. It's on display at my desk now and I keep getting the urge to put it in a pose where it's stabbing something.

Whew, this and the two prior kits have been a work-in-progress for months and it's nice to finally finish them all. Next up are the HGUC Delta Plus and 1/100 Dynames, which are still in their snap-built phase.

cellastra
April 8, 2013, 1:44 PM
Bro~ There are no words to describe the amount of Awesome I am seeing right now! :D

Love the implementation of the weathering. A little bit cleaner than the Hi-Nu. Still very nice nevertheless.
And that "samurai pose" has got to be my favourite~

Good job man!

thwalker13
April 8, 2013, 1:52 PM
Great work on the Impulse man. That thing looks awesome. Love those swords to. Would be a good match up between Sword Impulse, and the Red Frame.

Dlinker
April 8, 2013, 4:00 PM
Your comments are always appreciated, guys. Gracias :)

@thwalker13, yeah, it would be a good match-up. Too bad the only Red Frame I have is the PG version...maybe a David vs. Goliath-style showdown, haha.

I'm actually looking forward to doing clean builds again. I may give weathering a break for now until I try out battle damage.

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 6:35 PM
Haha, thanks for the praise, Voltes!

Yeah, I think I will do battle scars next. Probably on an AGE HG kit to show that even they can get down and dirty. Hmmm, now that's an idea.
LOL, good one man. But watch out, hardcore AGE fans might come at you with torches for that statement.

Here is the last of my trio of weathered kits, none other than Mr. Angry's first Gundam: The MG Sword Impulse

LOL, dude definitely needs to chill. I like the Gundams he piloted, but despise his character.

In regards to your finished project, that's another job well done. It seems that you have the weathering technique down!

Oh, and is that the Metal Build Freedom you mentioned?! That kit looks fantastic. It's jam packed with details compared to its standard counterpart.
How was the parts packaged? Was it pre-cut?

Ultra
April 8, 2013, 7:35 PM
I think the whole thing comes pre assembled but i'm not 100% sure.

Dlinker
April 9, 2013, 12:18 AM
@Voltes,

Ultra is correct: the Metal Build Freedom is pre-assembled (with the only parts to join together being the backpack) so it's more of a high-quality action figure with die-cast metal joints than an actual kit. It's also rather pricey so it's up to the individual to see if it's worth it. Seeing as I wasn't too keen enough on the Freedom to build the kit version, I decided to just buy the figure since I felt the quality plus the included stand and design manual was worth the cost. It's a great figure and weighs a bit so if the conflict between the Sword Impulse and itself is based on who can physically damage each other more, this guy wins by a landslide. Toss it at any kit and I'm sure something on the kit will snap into pieces if you get what I mean :) I would kill for a better stand, seriously.

To those hardcore AGE fans, bring it on. Like it or not, they will see an AGE kit look like it just went through a tour of duty in the UC timeline, haha. Soooo many good AGE HG kits to choose from though...

Thanks for the comments! I think I can still improve on the weathering some more, but only on a kit of a suit that doesn't have VPS. I really can't turn off my nerd autism when it comes to that.

Dlinker
May 13, 2013, 1:28 AM
Here's the latest that I've worked on: the HGUC Delta Plus

Started on this last October and this kit just kicked my ass each step of the way. I tried out the following on it:

- Scribing new panel lines
- Masking sections for different color schemes
- Detailing using an AB
- Putty to fill in hollow spots and to fix any screw-ups (which were many)
- Priming the whole kit in sections instead of individual pieces
- Pre-shading
- Extra detailing

Here are the pics:

http://s20.postimg.org/hhku76ye1/DP_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/hhku76ye1/) http://s20.postimg.org/w3buvfv6h/DP_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/w3buvfv6h/) http://s20.postimg.org/w21x20tcp/DP_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/w21x20tcp/) http://s20.postimg.org/m270m4i3d/DP_4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/m270m4i3d/) http://s20.postimg.org/9z1oyk715/DP_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/9z1oyk715/) http://s20.postimg.org/988yss4nt/DP_6.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/988yss4nt/) http://s20.postimg.org/eek43tjfd/DP_7.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/eek43tjfd/)

Used Vallejo Model Color for the light blue and white (supposed to be off-white). Was going to use it for the dark blue and pre-shade colors also, but it was a complete mess due to how uncooperative they were for detailing. I used Liquitex AB medium mixed 50/50 with Future using a variety of ratios and each one didn't work for anything other than base-coating. I ended up using Tamiya for the darker blue because it was so much easier to work with. Of course, the damage was already done and I didn't want to work on this kit any longer, hence the sloppy paint job and pre-shading.

Used Tamiya Chrome Silver for the leg piping and vents, Gun Metal for all frame areas, Titanium Gold for all gold parts, Metallic Grey for the rear part of the rifle, Titanium Silver for the rest. I think I need a new bottle of Titanium Silver; it always comes out too wet and it looks kinda tan in the bottle. Flat Aluminum for the piping on the rifle.

Masking was a nightmare, but it turned out really well. Lesson learned: put up with the pain and the gains will follow. An example: Spent nearly two hours masking the lower leg sections for the metallic details...maddening at times. It sure made my re-arranging of the colors much easier to implement.

Added some indentations on the feet and wing sections to simulate bolts. Basically used a tiny drill bit, made a tiny bowl in the plastic, then applied some MM Steel as a wash. I thought it worked as it should. Scribing the panel lines was a bit of a mess too. First time doing it so it wasn't good. Made the lines way too deep and too wide. Not subtle at all, but I learned a lot doing them.

For the orange sections, since nobody makes a metallic orange I like, I went with MM Chrome Silver with Tamiya Clear Orange on top. Worked like a charm. For the eyes, I dipped the clear part in Future with some orange food coloring to tint. Worked rather well, I thought.

Decals came from a variety of UC sheets I had. Because of the texture on the surface, I encountered plenty of silvering even though it didn't show until after I put the matt coat on. Strange how that came about seeing as I applied Microsol on them a few times and then layered a bit of Future on top before another coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear. Again, too tired to bother fixing it.

Overall, what I wanted to be one of my finest works yet turned out to be a disaster. Instead of bling bling, it became weathered and worn. In hindsight, I did too much and I didn't give myself enough time to work on it. Oh well, I still like it and it fits in perfectly with my Zaku Sniper, who has a similar...not-as-good paint job.

thwalker13
May 13, 2013, 7:51 AM
I've considered attempting scribing my own panel lines on a few kits. Just haven't built up enough courage to try it yet. Overall despite your various troubles, I think the kit looks great. The blue really looks great with colors you used. And small details you added here and there really sets the kit off. In my opinion, great work man!

Dlinker
May 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Glad to see someone doesn't think it's a mess :)

I either spent too much time on this kit or I didn't give myself any breaks when working on it, because it started to feel like a chore as I got closer to finishing. From now on, I think I'll start putting kits aside if I ever get to that point again so I won't feel like I'm forcing myself to finish. Don't want to turn something I enjoy doing into something I dread.

thwalker13
May 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
I felt that way with my Banshee kits that I did. I think it was because it was the same thing over and over again. Plus all the issues I had with them. But I think that's a good idea, if you ever get to that point just take a break for a bit.

Dlinker
May 13, 2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I remember that. You didn't do any kits for a week or two after because you got burned out somewhat. The whole running out of paint thing in the middle of what should have been a straight-forward painting session...yeah, not really fun to encounter.

I'm hoping my Dynames will be a good change of pace. Too much of the color blue lately, haha. Using Tamiya instead of VMC this time has been a stress-reliever since it atomizes better and adheres better. Much more forgiving in terms of screw-ups on the paint finish too.

thwalker13
May 13, 2013, 4:55 PM
That's good, It's always a much better build when the paint you're using actually works with you, and not against you. lol

Dlinker
May 13, 2013, 7:00 PM
Darn right :). I had a big screw-up yesterday on one of the green parts and I was amazed at how everything leveled out at the end of my paint session. I can still see it somewhat, but it's way less noticeable compared to a similar screw-up with Vallejo.

Not knocking VMC since they're still excellent for overall base-coating, but the Delta Plus fiasco stung me pretty badly.

cellastra
May 14, 2013, 4:12 PM
Dude~~~
I'm a fan of the Delta Plus..
Despite the challenges you faced in constructing this kit, you've made my day!
Loving the color scheme. The fine details you added to the kit really stands out~
I only found the shading to be a little uneven..but I know you had a hard time with it~ Kit still looks great!

Would have liked to actually watch as to how you approached this kit~
I'm sure there is much I could learn..scribing and such..
And I see you've used a variety of Tamiya paints..are they honestly easier to work with??

Dlinker
May 14, 2013, 5:27 PM
I'm terrible at keeping track of my progress so that's why I'm still holding out on doing a WIP thread, haha. And thanks a bunch for the kind words. Appreciate them as always.

Agree with you about the shading. I'll say it now: Vallejo Model Color works best for detailing when using Windex as the thinner. Everything else, forget about it. Not enough adhesion and tip-dry is too common when you don't use a solvent (assuming Windex can be considered a solvent) to thin. There's still tip-dry with Windex, but it's not as often. What you see with my kit is what happens when you do detail work using a paint mixture that has no adhesion. Uneven, inconsistent, and messy. Helps with the worn/weathered/dirty look, though :)

Scribing the lines...I made it much harder for myself than I needed to. What you need is a scribing tool (like a Tamiya P-Cutter/Plastic Scriber II), needle files to soften the edges of the lines, some Dymo tape to help with staying straight during scribing, an Xacto with a #11 blade, sandpaper to smooth out the surface, and sewing needs of various sizes. Subtle lines really are best so avoid what I did with the DP. I was so worried about the lines being covered up with primer and paint that I scribed too deep and too wide. Should have just did a couple of strokes with the Xacto, couple of strokes with a needle, then a stroke or two with the P-Cutter. Best thing to practice with is some plastic plate.

Tamiya truly is much easier to work with, at least when airbrushing. Very forgiving with the thinner so you don't have to be so precise with measurements, solvent-based thinner means little to no tip-dry if you thin at 50/50 (proven when I was airbrushing Tamiya green for two hours straight; not a single occurrence of tip-dry), paint adheres really well and dries to the touch within a few minutes, paint levels as it dries so little screw-ups aren't as visible, and cleans up really easily with some Windex. About the only problem I have is that some of their colors require a thicker coat. That green I mentioned needed two or three because it kept turning light.

V0LTES-V01
May 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
Great work with the HGUC Delta Plus! It looks very clean and crisp. Diggin' the details you applied on it, all the way through the beam rifle. So when are we going to see some Dynames WIP's?? It's one of my favorite Gundam from 00. Oh yeah, are you working with the 1/100 or 1/144?

Dlinker
May 18, 2013, 2:00 AM
Thanks for the compliments, good sir :) The one thing I really like about the DP was the shade of blue I used. It's on my shelf now and nothing I have on there matches that color tone so it's pretty unique in my collection.

Still holding out on doing a WIP thread, unfortunately. I still have to organize things and get a system running that will ensure I don't end up abandoning it once it's created.

I haven't made much progress this week due to work killing me mentally and physically. I'm aiming for the end of June or maybe a bit earlier to complete it; I like the suit and I want to do my best at it, haha.

For your question, I'm doing the 1/100 version. Free beam pistols and holsters, man :)

Dlinker
June 20, 2013, 9:18 PM
Finally, the Dynames is officially complete. Took me a little more than a month, but I guess that's what happens when you have a kit that requires a bunch of work and not much time to really work on it.

http://s20.postimg.org/edx5oz0nt/dynames_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/edx5oz0nt/) http://s20.postimg.org/7l1e6fz89/dynames_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7l1e6fz89/) http://s20.postimg.org/kdkwsmlg9/dynames_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/kdkwsmlg9/) http://s20.postimg.org/u5wrprb4p/dynames_4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/u5wrprb4p/) http://s20.postimg.org/q84wmlyxl/dynames_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/q84wmlyxl/) http://s20.postimg.org/yp4exj3mh/dynames_6.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yp4exj3mh/)

Used mostly Tamiya Acrylics to paint everything and it was such a breeze compared to the Delta Plus (which was done with Vallejo Model Color). Made plenty of mistakes with the finish, but thank goddness for Tamiya being so forgiving. I saw the stuff self-level and flatten on its own as I was blowing air at an affected area.... Such a comforting sight, haha. I did use VMC with it on the V-Fin's red parts. Did some seamline filling on the arms as well, which were kinda hit-or-miss, but it was a good learning experience.

Here are the paints used:

Green parts = Custom mix of Tamiya Green and a bit of Flat Black, pre-shaded some areas with Flat Black.
White parts = Custom mix of Tamiya White with a bit Deck Tan, but it didn't turn out as off-white as I wanted. Pain in the butt to paint too, especially if you're painting over white primer (or even bare white plastic). Pre-shaded with gray.
GN parts = Metallic Green Gundam Marker for the main GN Drive, and MM Chrome Silver with an overlay of Vallejo Translucent Green.
Frame, hands, details = Tamiya Gun Metal, custom mix of VMC Gloss Black and Metallic Medium, MM Steel, VMC Sky Blue mixed with VMC Purple for the GN cable on the top head section, MM Chrome Silver and Metallic Blue Gundam Marker for the head scope, Metallic Green Marker for the eyes on top of MM Chrome Silver.
Red parts = VMC Red for the V-Fin, Tamiya Red pre-shaded with a darker Red.
Yellow parts = Tamiya Titanium Gold, and for the Rear Thrusters, used some MM Bright Green to simulate GN particles inside (doesn't show too well on the pic, though).

I mixed up the paint scheme a bit by darkening the frame and matching the metallic black look that the Metal Build figures have for their frames. Also, this was the second kit I practiced panel line scribing on. I wanted a bit of RG-style color separation so I painted those scribed areas (and a part of the GN drive) a light gray.

For decals, I used a mix of Samuel Decal and some from the MG Hi-Nu and MG Sword Impulse.

Here are the weapons:

http://s20.postimg.org/tvp96ewih/weapons_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/tvp96ewih/) http://s20.postimg.org/e00f345y1/weapons_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/e00f345y1/) http://s20.postimg.org/4us2992jd/weapons_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4us2992jd/)

Masking nightmare for me, but another good learning experience. Used Flat Aluminum, Metallic Grey, VMC Translucent Blue (for the main rifle scope), Metallic Blue Marker over MM Chrome Silver for the handgun sights, along with the paints already mentioned before. Not really sure how well the colors match on the rifle...

Poses to follow, along with the special guest.

Dlinker
June 20, 2013, 9:29 PM
Here are the poses/action shots, which were a pain since this kit isn't too posable:

http://s20.postimg.org/v1t957kt5/dynames_pose_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v1t957kt5/)

http://s20.postimg.org/xe192sxeh/dynames_post_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xe192sxeh/)

And here it is with the special guest, the pure sexiness known as the Metal Build Exia:

http://s20.postimg.org/7q0k2dh5l/duo_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7q0k2dh5l/)

And off they go, to the next conflict (or back to the Ptolemaios):

http://s20.postimg.org/4ungvid5l/duo_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4ungvid5l/)

Overall, I do love this kit and the crap I went through for the paint job was well-worth it. If an MG version came out later on, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Ginga Bishōnen
June 20, 2013, 9:45 PM
Very nice build of one of my favorite Gundams ever. Lockon would be proud.....if he were alive. LOCKON!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaqio
June 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
Beauty of a paint job! Great color choices, and really good application of it to. It looks like you hit those smaller areas without any overspray at all.
My favorite thou, is the gun! It ties the whole kit together perfectly.

thwalker13
June 20, 2013, 11:18 PM
Stunning man. I love it. The rifle looks amazing with the amount of detail that you put into it. And that green, with the clear blue accents look great! Awesome work sir.

Dlinker
June 21, 2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the praise, guys. It is much appreciated, truly :) And yes, Bandai needs to give the original Lockon a better tribute...in the form of an MG Dynames using modern engineering.

I'm also glad to see the guns getting a warm reception. Those things took the longest to work on because of how much masking was involved to get precise paint application (rifle itself was two pieces forming one block of a rifle so...a tough one). I already rushed them by skipping the priming phase since I decided to fill the seamlines at the last minute and it cost me when I saw the light gray chipping, causing me to re-mask and repaint.

First time I used Blu-Tack to mask as well and it proved instrumental in getting the rifle done on time. You probably won't believe me if I told you I had to apply more green paint on most of the rifle's green area before the first clear coat, by hand. I found out 24 hours is not enough for drying time on acrylic, especially if applied somewhat thickly on an unprimed spot.

Also, many of the smaller details I handpainted simply due to time constraints, but it seems they turned out well, haha. That's why, from now on, I'm always going to handpaint certain things on any kit I build. Just seems more efficient for someone like me who doesn't have as much time available to AB everything.

thwalker13
June 21, 2013, 7:57 AM
That is one thing I never really understood. I've vids of StryderPrime doing one of his Gundam Customs. And he will mask off something that could be painted in less than a minute by hand. But he will mask it off just to airbrush it. Now I can understand if it needed to painted with Alclad chrome. But if a color that is common or can be mixed, why not just hand paint it?

Also, I might have to find and try out that tape you used.

jaqio
June 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I can see the amount of extra work done on the guns. I had this kit during my gundam marker days, and trying to contrast and add depth on those took a good while!
Again, great work all around.

Dlinker
June 21, 2013, 12:53 PM
Kinda sucks that some (if not most) MG kits have weapons that still need a good bit of masking if you want color separation. It's almost like Bandai wants you to keep them in one or two colors only, haha. Makes me wonder if it would have been easier to cut them apart, paint separately, then glue them back on after.

I can kinda understand why some of the more prominent modelers AB every single thing. It's likely that their standards are just different from ours and nothing less will satisfy them, especially if their work often gets published online. For the typical modeler like me, I'm perfectly fine with handpainting and making that effort look as good as I can.

Regarding the tape, it was just Tamiya Masking Tape and Blu-Tack adhesive putty so nothing special :) I don't know how Blu-Tack will react when sprayed with a lacquer paint so I think I'll test that out today.

jayhat100
June 21, 2013, 6:08 PM
Man the kits look really good keep it up

goosevf187
July 14, 2013, 9:05 PM
Your Age 1 gundam is awesome, I now want one, but my favorite kit by far is your MG Hi Nu gundam. That weathering ....

Dlinker
July 14, 2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

Despite the AGE-1 being the first Gundam kit I built, it's still one of my favorites and still stands at the front of the shelves. If you can get one, get one. You won't regret it.

Glad to see another person who liked the weathering on the Hi-Nu too. I thought I overdid it, but after not looking at it for some time and seeing it again, it's actually not that bad.

Dlinker
July 27, 2013, 4:43 PM
Finally got the time to do the photoshoot. Here it is, my latest completed kit:

The HG 00 Qan[T], Antagonist Version. Please see my WIP thread for what paints I used and what was done: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/25154-Dlinker-s-Things-To-Be-Done-Thread/page4

http://s20.postimg.org/c5s9a6xax/front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/c5s9a6xax/) http://s20.postimg.org/4gveygwt5/front_left.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4gveygwt5/) http://s20.postimg.org/eodyavj15/back_left.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/eodyavj15/) http://s20.postimg.org/agj624hll/back_right.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/agj624hll/) http://s20.postimg.org/69ybmshzt/front_right.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/69ybmshzt/) http://s20.postimg.org/6qehc3zfd/top.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6qehc3zfd/)

And here are some poses. Had to be conservative because I didn't want any more paint to get chipped off. That Metalizer Steel is fragile.

http://s20.postimg.org/8fsmhalg9/pose_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8fsmhalg9/) http://s20.postimg.org/tf8q8sn4p/pose_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/tf8q8sn4p/) http://s20.postimg.org/fzlpjcemx/pose_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fzlpjcemx/)

Here it is facing off against its Protagonist brother/clone:

http://s20.postimg.org/o6dpax4pl/face_off.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/o6dpax4pl/)

I would have loved if there was a brighter fluorescent magenta for enamels, but normal magenta did a good enough job. I'm wondering now if I should paint its included base

to match the color scheme. Perhaps next year, haha.

thwalker13
July 27, 2013, 11:09 PM
DUDE!!! That thing looks freaking sweet! I love every inch of it. The colors you chose looks spot on for an "evil" version. Great great great job man!

Dlinker
July 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
Haha, thanks a million, kind sir!

It was worth the effort and disappointments I had to work through, not to mention allowed me to discover that 1/144 scale seems to be my perfect comfort zone when it comes it overall customizing. I don't a have much time to work on kits and this scale gives me the best compromise thanks to how much better they're being designed while not taking hours to de-nub and prepare.

Not to say I won't do 1/100 or above (since my next project is 1/72), but my primary preference is for these small guys now.

I also noticed that my best work so far are all 00 kits. Trend perhaps? It all hinges on how well I do with the Zabanya, haha.

exia-7
July 28, 2013, 12:09 AM
That's a sweet finished product you got there. I really like the magenta panel lining.. makes it look like it's pulsing with purplish pink blood.

thwalker13
July 28, 2013, 12:38 AM
1/144 kits are for sure a good place for customization. It's where I want to start one day.

And Exia-7 you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Dlinker and I had a conversation about just that in his build thread. haha

V0LTES-V01
July 28, 2013, 6:11 PM
Wooooooooo, goodness that HG 00 Qan[T] is just oozing with awesomeness! If the ELS cloned the Qan[T], it would look just like that! Out of the projects you showcased, for me at the moment, this is the most prominent one of them all. I dig all the customization that you included, especially the unique scribes. The engraved scribes reminded me of JEHUTY from ZONE OF THE ENDERS. Excellent work comrade, keep on pressing on!

Bossguy
July 28, 2013, 6:19 PM
Beautiful work on that 00 Quanta. The colors work so well, and that sparkle is like icing on the cake.

Dlinker
July 28, 2013, 7:01 PM
I thank all of you for the compliments, gentlemen :)

Scribing those lines got irritating at one point, but seeing the finished product made it all worthwhile. I was conflicted on how deep I wanted them, but I figured it's better to keep washing the lines to make them more prominent than risk them not being deep enough for a wash. The colors... I think this is one of those rare moments when I actually match the scheme I pictured in my head. Thank goodness for the Internet. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to select the right color for the "veins".

@exia-7, I'm very glad you interpreted the lines that way. That was one of my main objectives due to how cool it looks on other mecha (ZoE being the most memorable). And sure enough, it seems to look awesome on the Qan[T], haha.

@V0LTES-V01, I think I'm going to display it on my desk for a while. Despite working on it for weeks, I just can't stop looking at it. It really might be my best one yet.

Dlinker
September 9, 2013, 1:00 AM
I keep forgetting to post these up. The Strike Parts for the Valkyrie are all done and have been for some days now. I'm very pleased with how they turned out, despite a few decals silvering on me (those cursed red ones).

http://s20.postimg.org/rybpr553t/IMG_20130908_184844.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rybpr553t/) http://s20.postimg.org/58cky5lw9/IMG_20130908_184914.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/58cky5lw9/)

http://s20.postimg.org/nmn424y6x/IMG_20130908_185155.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nmn424y6x/) http://s20.postimg.org/mgj43c9w9/IMG_20130908_185447.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mgj43c9w9/)

http://s20.postimg.org/66sy0fz89/IMG_20130908_185601.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/66sy0fz89/) http://s20.postimg.org/b6qe8e4ux/IMG_20130908_185843.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/b6qe8e4ux/)

My only regret is that I should have put some parts together already before painting, and perhaps going with a lacquer-thinned paint mix as well since this involved gloss black in the mix. The wash on the mini-verniers could have been done a lot better too. I think I'll use a micron pen next time I encounter them.

Zeta
September 9, 2013, 1:22 AM
Wow, those are beautiful! That is how you do a Macross Missile Massacre!

B6Drew
September 9, 2013, 1:40 AM
man those look awesome!

B6Drew
September 9, 2013, 5:40 AM
man those look awesome!

thwalker13
September 9, 2013, 7:31 AM
Dang man! Those look incredible. All the details that you put into them is awesome and really bring them to life. Great work. Now I'm really excited to see the kit as a whole.

Dlinker
September 9, 2013, 11:02 AM
Haha, thanks for the kind words, fellow gents. Hat's off to B6Drew; they're good enough to double-post :)

When parts don't have to move much, it becomes so much easier and more enjoyable to paint and detail. That was the best thing about these parts. Tedious, yes, but less of a hassle when completed especially when compared to the Valkyrie.

Just sad that it makes the Valkyrie look like a glass cannon; once you use up these missiles (and they do get used up fairly quickly), you're back to the gunpod and standard missile armament.

B6Drew
September 9, 2013, 4:35 PM
Haha, thanks for the kind words, fellow gents. Hat's off to B6Drew; they're good enough to double-post :)

haha my computer was so amazed it posted on my behalf with the same message! :lol:

Bossguy
September 9, 2013, 5:54 PM
Insane, totally, ripping cool.

Dlinker
September 9, 2013, 7:06 PM
Haha, thanks, Bossguy. I'm anxious to see how they'll look once I mount them on the Valkyrie. I hope there won't be much paint scratching....

Wiz33
September 9, 2013, 10:47 PM
Everything looks so good. I can't wait till the whole thing is done.

thwalker13
September 10, 2013, 7:36 AM
I can't wait to see it all done either. I'm rather curious to see how all those strike parts will mount.

Bossguy
September 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
I can't wait.

Brotzmann
September 10, 2013, 11:07 AM
The strike parts look awesome! The detail looks good. I'm also eager to see the kit all together. You must be close to being done. The strike parts actually have quite a few decals if they all get used. I'm getting motivated to work on some details of my kit. Sometimes i get lazy once i get close to finishing. It would be interesting to hear your overall impression of the kit once you are finished.

Dlinker
September 10, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Brotzmann. I'm excited to see how yours will look like too. From your WIP, it's looking much shinier than mine, haha.

If everything goes as planned, I should be finished with the Valkyrie by this Sunday. Just the clear coat, panel lines, and whatever decals are available left to do. End that with a flat coat and it's assembly time.

thwalker13
September 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
Sweet man. Hopefully everything goes according to plan.

Dlinker
September 18, 2013, 10:49 AM
After assembling and touch-ups that took way longer than expected, I can now present my take on the 1/72 VF-1S Valkyrie with its Strike Parts. Pardon the scratches on the dark grey chest part; that's a sampling of what happens when transforming a kit like this.

http://s20.postimg.org/shaf4pnvd/IMG_20130917_183622.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/shaf4pnvd/) http://s20.postimg.org/ca44ongux/IMG_20130917_184729.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ca44ongux/) http://s20.postimg.org/mf2se7zfd/IMG_20130917_185055.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mf2se7zfd/) http://s20.postimg.org/nrkhg3wux/IMG_20130917_184911.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nrkhg3wux/)

Some action/posing shots. This process was a huge test of patience and finesse due to how flimsy the kit is, especially the lower torso. Not very articulated as well, so posing options are limited without further modifications to said lower torso. The mounting point in Battroid Mode is lousy as well.

http://s20.postimg.org/yfo8ey6u1/IMG_20130917_191600.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yfo8ey6u1/) http://s20.postimg.org/vpewhra55/IMG_20130917_192437.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/vpewhra55/) http://s20.postimg.org/mb8yxyty1/IMG_20130917_193511.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mb8yxyty1/)

Continuing the rest on the next post.

Dlinker
September 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
Here it is with the Strike Packs mounted. Another test of patience due to the back parts having a poor mounting system. Had to use Blu-Tak to keep them in place, but they still fall off. Didn't bother posing it too much with them on because the lower limbs simply wouldn't cooperate with the added weight.

http://s20.postimg.org/qhttdatjt/IMG_20130917_205129.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/qhttdatjt/) http://s20.postimg.org/axmfmrjfd/IMG_20130917_205340.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/axmfmrjfd/) http://s20.postimg.org/f9fmpifq1/IMG_20130917_205255.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/f9fmpifq1/) http://s20.postimg.org/d657hufx5/IMG_20130917_205423.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d657hufx5/)

Here it is in Gerwalk mode and some of the Strike Packs still mounted. No pilot, because I don't have the motivation to paint them anymore :( Had some cool poses in mind, but the legs wouldn't cooperate.

http://s20.postimg.org/enqnteknt/IMG_20130917_213655.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/enqnteknt/) http://s20.postimg.org/bsdkmjgnt/IMG_20130917_213724.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bsdkmjgnt/) http://s20.postimg.org/xu3uwl15l/IMG_20130917_214337.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xu3uwl15l/)

I'll post pics of Fighter Mode later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Bossguy
September 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
That is beautiful! There are no emoticons or words to express my amazement.

thwalker13
September 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
That is super Impressive sir. The whole kit looks great. And the colors go extremely well together. The use of metallics, and the details you added just amplify it. Despite the trials and hardships it gave you, you have made one very awesome looking kit.

Dlinker
September 18, 2013, 1:15 PM
Muchas gracias, gentlemen. The praise is certainly comforting!

This was one tough kit when painted up and it was worth the long effort despite the issues. I look at it with pride, flaws and all.

I'll save up the summary of my experience with it after I post the Fighter Mode pics.

Wiz33
September 18, 2013, 2:58 PM
Awesome looking result. Glad everything turns out alright at the end.

Dlinker
September 18, 2013, 3:42 PM
I was very surprised things weren't worse than they should have been. Makes me want to work on a different Macross kit, but I'm not sure which one since I have the 1/60 figures of many of them already.

You're in for a challenge when you work on this.

B6Drew
September 18, 2013, 6:35 PM
man that looks awesome!

Dlinker
September 18, 2013, 6:55 PM
^ Thanks, good sir.

Seems Macross kits will always be a constant challenge for me. First my 1/72 Ozma VF-25S (the first model kit I ever built) and now this one.

Dlinker
September 19, 2013, 1:49 AM
Here is the finale, the VF-1S Valkyrie in Fighter Mode (along with some heavy ordinance):

http://s20.postimg.org/k7pti6wbd/IMG_20130918_212929.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/k7pti6wbd/) http://s20.postimg.org/4ar1lh3x5/IMG_20130918_212737.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4ar1lh3x5/) http://s20.postimg.org/acyobysd5/IMG_20130918_212508.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/acyobysd5/) http://s20.postimg.org/i6z9xd061/IMG_20130918_212813.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/i6z9xd061/)

http://s20.postimg.org/rssudnrbt/IMG_20130918_212351.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rssudnrbt/) http://s20.postimg.org/g4ysj426x/IMG_20130918_212638.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/g4ysj426x/) http://s20.postimg.org/wh8u8ugih/IMG_20130918_213303.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/wh8u8ugih/)

And here it is with the Strike Parts, which is how I'll leave this kit displayed as. I wish I could mount more missiles, but there are only two slots per wing:

http://s20.postimg.org/d0o4mbleh/IMG_20130918_214828.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d0o4mbleh/) http://s20.postimg.org/8stcdkjyx/IMG_20130918_215951.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8stcdkjyx/) http://s20.postimg.org/p53e3ayah/IMG_20130918_220212.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/p53e3ayah/)

Phew, that was a lot of work in many ways. Here's the aftermath of the photo session:

1.) Paint scratches and scrapes everywhere. And I mean everywhere, with the surprising exception of the nose/cockpit.
2.) Two of the hands have broken ball pegs so those have to be cemented should I use them.
3.) The weld on one leg split open.

This was a unique experience. I had a blast when I put it together, but then the flimsiness and overall questionable design choices came after. This is a kit I both love and hate, had fun with and had a nightmare with, more than any kit I've built so far. Many of the lessons I learned on prior kits I put to use here, and it paid off well. Some new lessons I learned the hard way, but I don't mind. In the end, that's really what I valued most out of this.

thwalker13
September 19, 2013, 7:53 AM
Man that is one amazing looking kit. It by far looks the best in flight mode. Everything works with other very well. And I love the colors you chose for the missiles. I said it once, but I'll say it again. AWESOME!

And, I meant to mention this before but I forgot. Nice choice with the AutoCAD book ;)

Bossguy
September 19, 2013, 10:45 AM
With the words of Thwalker: AWESOME!

Dlinker
September 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
Many thanks once again, good sirs :)

I love the Fighter Mode a bit more than Battroid Mode as well. Seems more burly and dangerous, whereas Battroid Mode looks delicate and lithe for this kit. I can see why that would anger hardcore Macross fans, though. Battroid Mode is meant to fight with 50-ft tall alien humanoids in close combat so it has too look a bit beefy.

That was one lengthy kit to work on. Nearly two months, more than any kit I've worked on (I say that too often with this kit). I'm ready now to embrace a Gundam kit once again, haha.

Lastly, the AutoCAD book isn't mine :( It was from my brother's GF who is studying Civil Engineering. Doesn't mean I can't call dibs on the book now; it got the endorsement of our resident AutoCad instructor here so it has value!

thwalker13
September 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
Haha nice. And yeah, if that kit is supposed to fight 50ft tall aliens, I'm starting to have little hope for the human race in that show.

Dlinker
September 19, 2013, 1:42 PM
You and me both, man. I'm still surprised the Valkyrie could keep up with the Zentradi (the 50-fit aliens) in the series. It's taller than an unarmored Zentradi, but an armored one is taller than the Valkryrie. Think the difference between a 5ft tall person against a 6.11ft tall person. But I guess it evens the odds when you often have two or three Valkyries against one Zentradi and psych warfare is to the humans' advantage.

Obligatory image of a Valkyrie in action. The way it looks here is similar to how it is in the anime:

Wiz33
September 19, 2013, 2:06 PM
The fighter mode looks great and it's probably would be my default display mode. I always think the standard/fast/strike Valk looks too skinny in Battroid mode. Now if they ever release a Full Armored Valk. I'll definitely display it in Battroid mode.

Dlinker
September 19, 2013, 3:29 PM
I'll actually buy that one if Bandai ever releases one. Right now, our only choice is the Hasegawa version.

thwalker13
September 19, 2013, 3:52 PM
Hmm, yep. Money on the Aliens.

Dlinker
September 19, 2013, 5:11 PM
Haha, if only the power of muzak didn't win the aliens over so well, they would have wiped out all of humanity. I believe in the first Macross, they laid waste to most of Earth so they certainly had the capability. And now those same aliens are mankind's allies. Too bad they didn't continue with their massive army, though. I would have loved to see an alternate universe where humans and Zentradi go forth and conquer the galaxy together.

Brotzmann
September 27, 2013, 8:27 AM
Your Valkyrie ended up looking really cool! I don't think I'm ready to do another Macross kit right away either. I think I'd like to do one of the Hasegawa kits next time I get the Macross urge.

Dlinker
September 27, 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks, man!

You and me both in regards to trying out the Hasegawa versions. I've been looking at instruction manuals for the VF-1 in Fighter Mode and the VF-0 in Battroid Mode and I got filled with excitement about the possibility of working on them. They're not as complicated in terms of build, but judging by how others build theirs, it will require a ton of prep work before you get to painting.

cellastra
October 31, 2013, 11:59 AM
Dude your HG 00 Qan[t]...
Wh-at? H-ow? Wh-y? :s

I'm lost for words~~~~
It's freakin amazing!!
even the Dynames and Valkyrie~

Have i ever mentioned you being a pro?

Dlinker
October 31, 2013, 1:17 PM
Haha, thank you very much, good sir :)

Personally, I don't consider myself as a pro in any shape or form, but I won't lie when I say I'm certainly striving to be at that level (or nearly at that level due to my time constraints).

thwalker13
October 31, 2013, 2:22 PM
You're certainly well on your man. The last few kits you put out has look amazing.

Dlinker
October 31, 2013, 3:07 PM
And so are you (that Kampfer, man), especially once you get the hang of your AB. As much as I want to go into mods and such, I think I'll keep that as a minimum for now and just focus on improving my paint work. No point making something great when it doesn't look great.

Bossguy
October 31, 2013, 3:13 PM
Your kits are amazing, as well as Thwalker's. Cellestra speaks the truth.

Wiz33
November 27, 2013, 1:21 AM
I heard that the unpainted Top Boaster and Gunpod does not attach well onto the folded tail section. How bad is it after you painted all the parts

Dlinker
November 27, 2013, 3:03 AM
You're talking about the big pieces, right? They don't attach well. AT ALL. Even after paint, gloss coat, and flat coat. I had to cheat with mine by position everything just right. Even Blu-Tak isn't enough.

Zaku
November 27, 2013, 4:09 AM
That zaku sniper looks very good man. Nice work.

Dlinker
November 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
^ Thanks, man. Even though it was one of my early attempts at a full paint job (so I made plenty of mistakes), I'm proud of it and the kit itself is surprisingly good quality in terms of what you get and what it can do.

Wiz33
November 27, 2013, 2:36 PM
Damn. Might need to think of some way to secure them better. Might just have to glue them on then since I'm most likely going to display it in fighter mode. Thanks.

Dlinker
November 27, 2013, 4:12 PM
Yeah, I had a similar response when I tried to mount them after letting the flat coat dry. I used several more expletives, though, thanks to how frustrating it was. I noticed that the area where you secure them tends to get detached and contributes to the parts getting let go:

You can try gluing those two halves together so they don't come apart so easily.

Dlinker
February 23, 2014, 1:11 AM
Geez, I haven't posted anything in this thread in a loooong time. Here's my HLJ entry: The MG Turn A.

http://s20.postimg.org/lpvcpk0wp/front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/lpvcpk0wp/) http://s20.postimg.org/txxaajst5/back.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/txxaajst5/) http://s20.postimg.org/4bb4ha3rt/left.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4bb4ha3rt/) http://s20.postimg.org/4ug7qjv6h/right.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4ug7qjv6h/)

http://s20.postimg.org/rhvgwpaqh/pose1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rhvgwpaqh/) http://s20.postimg.org/mn1ryfcex/pose4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mn1ryfcex/) http://s20.postimg.org/nqlwadx21/pose3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nqlwadx21/) http://s20.postimg.org/z48fll7kp/equip1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/z48fll7kp/)

And the centerpiece:

http://s20.postimg.org/xy4fmsja1/pose2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xy4fmsja1/)

ace
February 23, 2014, 2:12 AM
Nice clean build. I never realized how many panel lines that kit has.

Dlinker
February 23, 2014, 3:06 AM
Yeah, the kit is panel line heaven (or hell, depending on your love of panel lines). I had hoped it was basic enough to count as Beginner, but I think the candy coat for the yellow parts caused it to be bumped up to Intermediate.

V0LTES-V01
February 23, 2014, 5:44 PM
Right off the bat, I was looking for the cow shot LOL. Man, that kit is panel line galore. I would have a blast panel lining it if it was an OOB built. A painted version would be questionable though LOL... as it requires more delicate technique. Nice work overall with your entry bud. Go get em' on the next competition.

Squee
February 23, 2014, 5:47 PM
Woo! Love the Turn A, and the MG is such a fun build! Looks great!

Dlinker
February 23, 2014, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the good words, gents.

I had fun with the Turn A and I'm looking forward to the Turn X coming out this year. I'm going to get the HGCC Turn A too and see if I can do a better chrome job on it. As for the contest, I'm not sure if I'm going to participate this year due to my wedding and vacation. Might be too busy with the new wife to work on kits, haha.

Bossguy
February 23, 2014, 7:23 PM
Still looks just as good as when you first showed us. The candy coat is smooth, and the colors look gorgeous. You seriously made me want a model I had no interest in before.

Dlinker
February 23, 2014, 7:37 PM
^ Thank you, man. Even if you're not a fan of the overall design, the build itself is different and fun. I usually don't get baffled with how shoulders work on MG kits, but this one baffled me when I first got it snapped it together, haha. I experienced a moment of enlightenment when I figured out how it rotates.

Bossguy
February 23, 2014, 7:42 PM
It's one of those designs that grow on you the more you see it. You definitely did the most powerful Gundam justice.

ace
February 23, 2014, 7:59 PM
Turn A is still on my list of need to watch gundam series's

Dlinker
February 24, 2014, 1:20 AM
@Bossguy, it really does take time to enjoy the Turn A. I really hated it at first. For months, seeing pics of it made me feel like I was looking at a horror. I slowly warmed up to it while watching Turn A and playing as the suit in NEXT+. For me, the suit isn't just about raw power and overpowered abilities. It's also about using weapons of war for things like carrying cows to feed hungry families, a make-shift mount for drying clothes, and helping wash said clothes, haha.

@ace, let us know what you think whenever you get around to watching it. I'm always curious to see people's reactions to it.

Zenki_Style
February 24, 2014, 1:32 AM
Man don't know how I missed this that turn A is gorgeous! Great job on that,sad it did not win anything.

@Boss guy Turn a is definitely a different kind of series but we'll worth the watch!

Dlinker
February 24, 2014, 3:02 AM
^ Thanks, man! I'm not surprised it didn't win anything. Basic enough to be considered Beginner, but with work that can also be considered Intermediate. What I should do is work on something and just not post it online anywhere until the next competition is finished, haha.

Wiz33
February 24, 2014, 3:34 AM
While the Turn A was not one of my favorite design. The model looks good here.

thwalker13
February 24, 2014, 9:28 AM
You did an amazing job on this kit man. Though I'm not a fan of the Turn-A, you definitely did it justice. And the panel lines and candy coated yellow parts look amazing.

Dlinker
February 24, 2014, 11:36 AM
Glad you think so, thanks man :)

I should get around to fixing the loose torso one day. The legs are pretty heavy so right now it can't really do a proper flying pose. I had to use my finger to prop it up in one of the pics, haha.

Dlinker
April 19, 2014, 5:12 PM
Finally finished the Zabanya. I don't know what it is about 1/144 kits, airbrushing, the first fully airbrushed kit of the year, and the color blue, but I almost had the same experience with this as with the HGUC Delta Plus. I'm happy with it, though, despite the little chips and scrapes that seemed to have come from nowhere. I was able to create the burly, heavily armed Zabanya I pictured in my head. This also made me realize once more the importance of taking your time with something.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the pics:

http://s20.postimg.org/seonuso0p/zab1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/seonuso0p/) http://s20.postimg.org/d78oafw61/zab2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d78oafw61/) http://s20.postimg.org/hdtiprvrt/zab3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/hdtiprvrt/) http://s20.postimg.org/fd2z4xzmh/zab4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fd2z4xzmh/)

Some close-ups of details:

http://s20.postimg.org/qixa5w9sp/zab5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/qixa5w9sp/) http://s20.postimg.org/k6i4w26qh/zab6.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/k6i4w26qh/) http://s20.postimg.org/5ttabhc49/zab7.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5ttabhc49/)

And the only pose I can get without further damage to the paint and possibly the joints:

http://s20.postimg.org/y7ypvczo9/zab8.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y7ypvczo9/)

Zaku
April 19, 2014, 5:20 PM
I dont know what this is from but it looks very good nice work man. And sorry to hear about the paint chipping problem

Zaku
April 19, 2014, 5:22 PM
I really want one of those rifles in 1/100 now for my Gelgoog

thwalker13
April 19, 2014, 5:44 PM
Man that is one heavily armed Gundam. I love the shades of blue, and all the metallic details that you used. That is one great looking kit man. Very very well done. Taking your time certainly paid off.

Squee
April 19, 2014, 6:19 PM
Cool concept! Really like how those camera lens' look!

Bossguy
April 19, 2014, 6:43 PM
That is awesome. I like the way the orange compliments the blue, and that camera lense in the head looks brilliant.

Dlinker
April 20, 2014, 2:46 AM
Many thanks for the kind words, gents :)

Funny how the camera lenses came out so well. Metallic green gundam marker, how I love thee... I'd love it even more if it wasn't a pain to clean up.

@Zaku, this is the 1/144 Zabanya and I'm not surprised if you don't know it since it's become rather obscure. Its popularity is further diminished by how polarizing the 00 movie is (where this suit shows up in) among the fans. And yeah, you should buy these rifles. Pretty beefy and are more in scale with 1/100 kits so your Gelgoog will find them to be a good fit. Here's the link from HLJ, in case you want to know the product name: http://www.hlj.com/product/kbymw-05r/Sci

The paint chipping with this kit is what made me switch to lacquer paints early. I really don't know why it happened so often, considering I used all gloss Tamiya paints thinned with their lacquer thinner and gave it a full 24 hrs to cure. Oh well, live and learn.

Ultra
April 24, 2014, 10:58 AM
Wow all those details must have taken ages. Paid off though. What did you do with the big shield things?

Zaku
April 24, 2014, 12:41 PM
Oh yea ive never seen the movie. And those rifles are very tempting. And again nice work on this guy. Thats professional grade gunpla right their.

Dlinker
April 24, 2014, 1:15 PM
^ The movie might be worth a single viewing, if only for the constant action in the later half. The rifle pack comes with an ax with it so that can be an additional weapon for your kits. Thanks for the praise, as always. I think I'm still pretty far from being considered among the "pros", but it's good to know someone thinks I'm getting there, haha.

@Ultra, thanks man. The metallic details did take longer than I expected. I was hoping for a 2-hour job, but it ended up being more like 4 or 5 hours total. That's not counting the masking I had to do for many areas, which ate up even more time (mostly due to my failures with masking order). I still have most of the shields, along with the two default rifles. I'm thinking of using those for a kit-bash down the road.

Plamobot
April 24, 2014, 2:04 PM
I didn't hate the movie...

Dlinker
April 24, 2014, 3:29 PM
^ Me too. I liked it a lot and I still watch it from time to time, though only at the point when Graham and his team shows up and onwards. Everything before that is too slow for those casual watching moments, haha.

ChapelMkII
April 24, 2014, 4:13 PM
D, I'm loving this final product. If Graham had a Gundam of his own, I feel it would be this :D

Plamobot
April 24, 2014, 4:31 PM
That's Mr. Bushido to you.

Dlinker
April 24, 2014, 5:14 PM
@ChapelMkII, haha, thanks man. I never saw it that way, but I should have, considering the color scheme and such.

I kinda wish he kept the Mr. Bushido persona alive in one shape or form.

Dlinker
June 23, 2014, 1:26 AM
Sorry for the delay. Had a huge bout of laziness today. So here it is, a kit I started working on last winter and only just finished yesterday: The HGUC GM Sniper 2, Urban/Forest digital camo variant with custom beam sniper rifle salvaged from a Gelgoog.

http://s20.postimg.org/r8rnfn2u1/front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/r8rnfn2u1/) http://s20.postimg.org/bsioj3nkp/side.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bsioj3nkp/) http://s20.postimg.org/b6p49934p/back.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/b6p49934p/) http://s20.postimg.org/4b9h3vy1l/rifle.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4b9h3vy1l/)

Here are some poses. Please pardon the particles here and there; Those are from the flat coat which has been scratched plenty now and as such, the posing is limited. I tried to imitate the kneeling pose on the manual, but I couldn't figure it out, haha.

http://s20.postimg.org/lw2t1iexl/pose1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/lw2t1iexl/) http://s20.postimg.org/v6ex51pnd/pose3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v6ex51pnd/) http://s20.postimg.org/3x854ady1/pose2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3x854ady1/) http://s20.postimg.org/y9fn8f4m1/pose4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y9fn8f4m1/)

Huge learning experience again with this kit with the number one lesson being to take my time and not rush things. This is also the first kit in my collection that has the majority of the paint job done in lacquer paints (Mr. Color, to be specific). Waaay less stressful to work with than acrylics when airbrushing so I'm glad I made the move. The only thing left to say is that I really love how this came out and I'm proud of what I've done on it. Fun kit, too, one I would recommend to anyone.

Zeta
June 23, 2014, 1:28 AM
Oh wow. That is simply an awesome paint job. It brings tears to my eyes to see such a well painted suit.

redslash
June 23, 2014, 2:18 AM
Sorry for the delay. Had a huge bout of laziness today. So here it is, a kit I started working on last winter and only just finished yesterday: The HGUC GM Sniper 2, Urban/Forest digital camo variant with custom beam sniper rifle salvaged from a Gelgoog.

http://s20.postimg.org/r8rnfn2u1/front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/r8rnfn2u1/) http://s20.postimg.org/bsioj3nkp/side.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bsioj3nkp/) http://s20.postimg.org/b6p49934p/back.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/b6p49934p/) http://s20.postimg.org/4b9h3vy1l/rifle.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4b9h3vy1l/)

Here are some poses. Please pardon the particles here and there; Those are from the flat coat which has been scratched plenty now and as such, the posing is limited. I tried to imitate the kneeling pose on the manual, but I couldn't figure it out, haha.

http://s20.postimg.org/lw2t1iexl/pose1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/lw2t1iexl/) http://s20.postimg.org/v6ex51pnd/pose3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v6ex51pnd/) http://s20.postimg.org/3x854ady1/pose2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3x854ady1/) http://s20.postimg.org/y9fn8f4m1/pose4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/y9fn8f4m1/)

Huge learning experience again with this kit with the number one lesson being to take my time and not rush things. This is also the first kit in my collection that has the majority of the paint job done in lacquer paints (Mr. Color, to be specific). Waaay less stressful to work with than acrylics when airbrushing so I'm glad I made the move. The only thing left to say is that I really love how this came out and I'm proud of what I've done on it. Fun kit, too, one I would recommend to anyone.

wow that looks awesome, how ever did you do that pixel like detail work?

thwalker13
June 23, 2014, 7:44 AM
Man you did one hell of an amazing job on this. The tedious amount of work that you put into that digital camo has paid off incredibly well. This is a great looking kit, and that custom sniper rifle just adds to the awesomeness.

Plamobot
June 23, 2014, 8:54 AM
Wait, what?! That digital camo paint job...does...not...compute.

Seriously, you must explain.

Zaku
June 23, 2014, 9:27 AM
Where is it? I dont see it? OH THERE IT IS man that cammo really works. Damn this thing is nice. This is the most bad ass looking GM ive ever seen. I would hate to be in his firing range. The amount of effort you put into this is really motivating. And the result shows that effort well. And the custom rifle looks really good as well. I cant even begin to guess how you managed to get the stencils into such small detailed areas. Damn nice work man.

Dlinker
June 23, 2014, 11:15 AM
Many thanks as always for the kind words, guys! I'm happy to be able to give this suit some good treatment. Yeah, it didn't have a lot of screentime, but that doesn't always mean it's not a cool suit.

The camo pattern took only two things: Pre-cut digital camo masks from PlamoMasks (the small version) and lots of thinking since the final look depends entirely on how you arrange the tape. I was aiming for a digital version of normal camo, which consists of blobs of progressively darker colors on top of a lighter background color. For that, I had to make sure the masks were arranged to closely get a pixelated blob look.

I guess patience is another thing needed. Pretty boring having to paint each part four times, haha.

@Zaku, haha, good joke. It was indeed a challenge to get the masks in the right places. The combination of the small strip size and gloss paint meant frequent occurrences of the strips lifting during painting. I had to resort to pressing down on lifted strips, then quickly paint the area before they lifted again. I think the problem can be solved by using a pattern made with Tamiya masking tape, which holds a bit better. It didn't help that I would apply the masks, then not be able to paint for days...

@redslash, my WIP thread has some pics on the masks I used and how they were applied on each part. Granted, it was only for the final color, but it should still give you a good idea. Buying pre-cut masks is ideal, unless you have time to make your own.

Squee
June 23, 2014, 12:58 PM
This came out great dlinker! As for plamomasks, Steve is closing up shop so if you're looking to buy some precut masking, now is the time!

Dlinker
June 23, 2014, 1:21 PM
Thanks, Squee! I'm glad I challenged myself and went with a four-tone scheme. Paid off big time.

Regarding PlamoMasks, seriously? That's pretty f#cked up. He made a good product, shame it couldn't last. Looks like I have until 7/31 to get purchases in. I'll set aside some moola and grab some more sheets before then. Afterwards, it's time to hunt for a similar product...

jaqio
June 23, 2014, 1:47 PM
Great work! I really like the sniper gun especially. It was definitely worth taking your time on.

Dlinker
June 23, 2014, 3:07 PM
Thanks, man. I'm planning on doing another digital camo paint job next year as a comparison. First time vs the second time, you know? Maybe for the second time, I'll go for an MG kit, haha.

jaqio
June 23, 2014, 4:17 PM
Sounds good to me.

V0LTES-V01
June 23, 2014, 7:21 PM
Maaaan, I ought to contact Gundam Guy and have your HGUC GM Sniper 2 be featured on its site. That's just a phenomenal work my friend. I don't think I've ever seen such intricate camo work before on a gunpla. And what's astounding is that it's an HG, so you had to make the pattern a relative size. And that rifle though, If I recall correctly, you extended the barrel; excellent decision, awesome mod. I hate to say it since I'm a big fan of the 00 Gundams, but this really tops your HG Quanta custom.

Dlinker
June 23, 2014, 8:01 PM
Haha, thanks, man. Honestly, I don't mind at all if you decide to send the pics to Gundam Guy, although I think my work isn't as good as some of the stuff featured there. The rifle was indeed given an extended barrel (courtesy of a spare Zaku machine gun), along with being combined with the handle/stock of the kit's original rifle.

I agree that this tops the Evil Qan[T]. But you know what that means? I need to do something great with another 00 kit :cool:. Quite tempted to consider making a bigger version of my Qan[T]...

Zaku
June 23, 2014, 8:22 PM
Oh so thats where my machine gun went...

thehod
June 23, 2014, 10:47 PM
That digital camo is A+ and should be an entry in the Gunpla world cup.

Sazabee
June 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
That digital camo is A+ and should be an entry in the Gunpla world cup.

Agreed ._.

I'm willing to put money that if you entered the Dallas GBWC Qualifier that you'd have won Best of Show.

Incredible

Plamobot
June 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
Maaaan, I ought to contact Gundam Guy and have your HGUC GM Sniper 2 be featured on its site.
I second that!

Dlinker
June 24, 2014, 1:31 AM
@Zaku, oh, you notice the missing machine gun, but not the missing Gelgoog rifle? Your Gelgoog would be disappointed :lol:

Thanks for the praise, guys. Maybe I should see about getting it up on Gundam Guy or something, haha. And regarding submission to contests and such, I'm going to consider it next year for sure, once I get more time on my hands after the wedding, moving out to my own place, etc. The praise of you folks here (including some who have won actual awards from those events) means I'm doing something right.

redslash
June 24, 2014, 2:42 AM
Many thanks as always for the kind words, guys! I'm happy to be able to give this suit some good treatment. Yeah, it didn't have a lot of screentime, but that doesn't always mean it's not a cool suit.

The camo pattern took only two things: Pre-cut digital camo masks from PlamoMasks (the small version) and lots of thinking since the final look depends entirely on how you arrange the tape. I was aiming for a digital version of normal camo, which consists of blobs of progressively darker colors on top of a lighter background color. For that, I had to make sure the masks were arranged to closely get a pixelated blob look.

I guess patience is another thing needed. Pretty boring having to paint each part four times, haha.

@Zaku, haha, good joke. It was indeed a challenge to get the masks in the right places. The combination of the small strip size and gloss paint meant frequent occurrences of the strips lifting during painting. I had to resort to pressing down on lifted strips, then quickly paint the area before they lifted again. I think the problem can be solved by using a pattern made with Tamiya masking tape, which holds a bit better. It didn't help that I would apply the masks, then not be able to paint for days...

@redslash, my WIP thread has some pics on the masks I used and how they were applied on each part. Granted, it was only for the final color, but it should still give you a good idea. Buying pre-cut masks is ideal, unless you have time to make your own.

Nice i'll have a look at you wip. Don't think i have time for something that work intensive between my job, my hobby game coding, gaming and building gunpla. maybe if i ever win the lottery ;P

Dlinker
June 24, 2014, 11:11 AM
Do one as a long-term project, good sir! Get the kit, get the masks, then apply the masks and paint everything whenever you have the time. This kit took me months only because I had very little time between then and this past weekend to work on it. I did everything very, very slowly and in a lazy pace.

Zaku
June 24, 2014, 5:10 PM
Lol now i see it. Did you take the rails from Gato's Gelgoog? The old MG?

Dlinker
June 24, 2014, 7:07 PM
Yep, pretty much the entire rifle minus the stock, trigger/handle, and barrel tip. Those 1/144 System Weapon packs have the exact rifle and I happen to have a few of said packs so that's where I got it from. A big shame that the packs give you parts for three kinds of rifles, but not enough to make all three at once.

jayhat100
June 24, 2014, 8:55 PM
outstanding simply outstanding, can't say anymore

Bossguy
June 24, 2014, 10:19 PM
:o

It's amazing! It looks incredible!

Dlinker
June 25, 2014, 12:51 AM
Haha, thanks, guys. It's currently taking up a display position on my desk (a rarity, since I don't have a lot of space there) and it makes me smile whenever I stare at it.

Garret Masterson
June 25, 2014, 12:37 PM
Awesome work with your GM sniper man! The digital camo looks flawless not to mention this is 1/144 kit so double thumbs up for your effort in making such amazing details out of a small kit.

Dlinker
June 25, 2014, 1:02 PM
^ Thanks, man. Glad you liked it and it means a lot coming from someone who has done great kits before. I didn't regret a single bit trying to do it on a 1/144 kit. If anything, it's probably the best size to do it on for the first time, provided you can find small enough pre-cut masks. RIP, PlamoMasks. Your product served me incredibly well.

Wiz33
June 25, 2014, 1:36 PM
Wow. That must have taken tons of time but the result is great.

Dlinker
June 25, 2014, 3:12 PM
Indeed it did! It took me about an hour and a half to paint each part for the camo. Applying the masks took two to three hours each (multiply that by four and...yeah). For one of the paint layers, I made the mistake of thinning the mix too much, resulting in me taking two hours to paint everything. Very frustrating because the past two layers didn't take as long.

outamyhead
June 30, 2014, 3:22 AM
Please tell me you are entering a competition with that build?

Dlinker
June 30, 2014, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately, no :(

Not enough time and and I wasn't too delicate with the posing so there are some minor scratches here and there, haha. Next year, when I get more time and my own place, I'm planning to try out some local competitions and see how I fare.

Sazabee
July 1, 2014, 7:49 PM
Unfortunately, no :(

Not enough time and and I wasn't too delicate with the posing so there are some minor scratches here and there, haha. Next year, when I get more time and my own place, I'm planning to try out some local competitions and see how I fare.

Hopefully both of us make the cut to compete Nationally next year!

Urrrgggh I'm just definite that I'd lose to you come that time :P

Kill the competition brah!

Dlinker
July 1, 2014, 9:05 PM
I'll do my best, good sir!

I honestly have no clue what kind of competition is out there so just finding that out is good enough for me. However, I will say that I have heard rumors of competitors nowhere near being at the same level as those from Asia. I'm not knocking them at all, but that means I'll have a chance. Those modelers in Asia are all kinds of insane, way out of my league.

Dlinker
July 8, 2015, 1:21 PM
Man, I didn't think this thread has been that dead. Well, time to bring it back to relevancy with this beast: The MG Tallgeese III.

http://s20.postimg.org/veiymd8yh/tg3_front_no_heatrod.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/veiymd8yh/) http://s20.postimg.org/5o2zcueft/tg3_front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5o2zcueft/) http://s20.postimg.org/496gl8jo9/tg3_side.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/496gl8jo9/) http://s20.postimg.org/b8fgnhdax/tg3_side2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/b8fgnhdax/) http://s20.postimg.org/ctzscetuh/tg3_back.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ctzscetuh/)

He's not easy to pose at all and I should have tightened the ball joints on the shoulders because they sag easily with the shield, heat rod, and MBC. This is the best pose I could get without scratching everything to hell, haha.

http://s20.postimg.org/bnqqghz89/pose_all.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bnqqghz89/)

Here are some close-ups:

http://s20.postimg.org/ko0dxt1nd/upskirt_pose.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ko0dxt1nd/) http://s20.postimg.org/roodql3fd/pose_back.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/roodql3fd/) http://s20.postimg.org/dr15o5z15/pose_front.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dr15o5z15/)

This kit surprised me many times, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Learned a lot of things in regards to paint finish too; This is the first kit I've worked on where I put on more than one layer of paint and it improved durability and overall appearance drastically. Going to be doing that from now on on future kits.

Plamobot
July 8, 2015, 1:43 PM
Aamzing work, especially on the "crown." I hate to use such a bad pun...but your work just became the gold standard.

Squee
July 8, 2015, 2:55 PM
Really awesome job on this. Great color separation, very clean work all around. The TG's that have been posted lately, really makes me want to paint my TG II now!

thwalker13
July 8, 2015, 3:01 PM
Very nice work Dlinker. I like the coloring, it really darkens up the Tallgeese III and gives a little gritty tone.

Dlinker
July 8, 2015, 3:07 PM
Many thanks as always, fellow gentlemen modelers. I think I still have some ways to go before even thinking of being a gold standard :D

I honestly didn't know how the colors would all come together in the end. Had a bitch of a time coming up with what color to use for everything. Even when I got the sections assembled I was still a little uneasy. But, I can proudly say it was for naught.

I also want to say that painting certain interior areas of armor pieces that are exposed (like those on the elbows) added a kind of realism to things. Another thing to add to the list of things I'll do on all future kits.

tried42long
July 8, 2015, 9:48 PM
That TGIII really looks good.:D I love the colors, details, and the clean build.

Zaku
July 8, 2015, 11:22 PM
damn dude. that thing is stellar. damn nice work.

futabaaoi
July 9, 2015, 7:26 AM
That Tallgeese III looks pretty clean. I like the white hands and the body color is excellent.

Dlinker
July 9, 2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks, guys!

As the first MG kit I ever fully painted, I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Very little regrets with how I worked on it, other than it taking a long time. But, as the saying goes, gunpla is freedom and we should all be free to take as much time with our kits as possible.

noble6956
July 9, 2015, 6:06 PM
Very nice build!

Dlinker
July 10, 2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks, man. It was a long road to get there and there were times when I doubted everything, but it all came out well in the end.

tried42long
July 12, 2015, 9:02 AM
Quite awesome for your first MG kit. Did you have any trouble painting, assembling, or moving the inner frame?

WheresWildo
July 12, 2015, 6:02 PM
Very well done. This is the one p-bandai kit that I'm hoping they re-release.

Dlinker
July 13, 2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks, guys. And actually, this is just the first MG kit fully painted that I've worked on. I have a number of MG kits completed, but they were only partially painted.

For the inner frame, I focused on painting only the areas that are exposed since nobody will be seeing the non-exposed areas at all. I tried to accommodate for the added primer and paint layers by sanding and trimming, but I didn't do enough of it and I missed several spots (mostly on the elbows and the big vernier pods) so that's something I need to improve on for the next kit. In terms of assembling, I had no issues overall since I painted it in sections fully assembled and just moved the joints to cover all of the areas. Moving them is fine too, nothing is too tight for comfort, but there is scratching involved.

Yaj Sitruc
July 31, 2015, 3:29 PM
I just wanted to let you know that you do some stellar work! I particularly like your MG Sword Impulse!

Dlinker
July 31, 2015, 6:21 PM
Hey, thanks man. I look back at that kit every so often and wonder if I should do a renewal on it. Only problem is if the plastic will be strong enough to withstand paint/clear coat stripping and removing the stickers, haha.

Zaku
March 5, 2016, 9:33 PM
HGUC Zaku Sniper Yonem Kirks version (fully painted and with Bandai decals):

3393 3394 3395 3396 3397

i dont think ive ever noticed this. this is bad ass. very nicely done man.

Dlinker
March 7, 2016, 11:40 AM
Ha, thanks a lot, man. Even though the paint job on it could use a ton of improvement, it's still one of my favorites overall in my collection.

Jeez, I'm realizing now how long ago I last finished something. That's what happens when you fast-track your plans on buying a house, have a really hectic and crappy move, and decide to renovate most of the place at the same time. I still don't know when I'll be able to start working on kits again seeing as I still have a garage to patch up and possibly repaint.

Zaku
March 7, 2016, 12:06 PM
its all good man. buying a house is one of the biggest events in your life. so what if it gets in the way of one of your hobbies for a little while. just so long as you are not giving up the hobby for good or anything we will forgive you for not building anything in a while lol. and you are scoping out a spot to build in the new house right? you could build a paint booth and work on kits in a side room. i look forward to seeing you get back at it with the gunpla man.

Dlinker
March 7, 2016, 4:11 PM
For sure I'm not giving up on the hobby. I enjoy it way too much to put a permanent stop to it and I don't want to lose any of the skills and habits that I've built up over the years. Last, but not least, I won't be able to chill with you guys here properly without it :D

Once the house is done, I'm going to set up almost the same station I had before in the garage, just two or three tables and my pre-built spray booth plus a couple of shelves for paints and materials. However, It would be darn nice if I could buy a shed (one of those pre-built ones from Home Depot) and do everything there. The backyard certainly has enough space for it.

Plamobot
March 7, 2016, 4:25 PM
It's not a shed...it's a hangar!

Zaku
March 7, 2016, 5:32 PM
damn good to hear. we would miss you man.

and why dont you work in a spare room in your house? seems like it would me convenient and let you do a little bit here and there instead of trying to find time to slip out without the wife noticing lol.

Dlinker
March 8, 2016, 12:52 PM
@Plamobot, that's a great way to turn a shed into, haha.

My in-laws are living with us until next year when they retire and then my wife's sister and her husband will be as well in a couple of weeks (newlyweds also). That pretty much leaves me the garage and the aforementioned shed/hangar to work in, especially since the third room has to be available as a guest room when my in-laws leave. The garage is pretty big so I think it will be fine, but I'm not ruling out getting something in the backyard. My wife is okay with me working on kits; It's only fair because she then gets to work on her calligraphy business at the same time, haha.

Plamobot
March 8, 2016, 12:57 PM
The hangar needs a big Zeon emblem on the door.

Dlinker
March 9, 2016, 2:24 PM
If I can't find something in HLJ or Amazon to fit the bill, there's a sign/decal company a few minutes drive from my house, haha.

Plamobot
March 9, 2016, 4:54 PM
Better yet...Tekkadan! Raise your flag! :D