PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the MG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam

ratfacedudeguy
September 16, 2012, 7:32 PM
Hey guys. Currently building the MG FA Unicorn Gundam, and I have a few thoughts I'd like to share for anyone who is considering picking it up.

First off, I'm very surprised to say that this kit doesn't use any polycaps. I'm not sure if this is something they've started doing recently, but I don't recall any other modern kits without them. Despite this, however, the joints seem to be plenty snug and structurally stable. I haven't started on any of the weapons yet, so I'll have to report back on how well he holds a pose carrying any of the dozen or so included armaments.

Next thought is sort of a gripe, but it seems like some of the pieces that connect the parts to the runners (terminology is escaping me right now) are unnecessarily thick to the point where it's difficult to snip the pieces off without a bunch of ugly snap mark residue. Most notably are the clear green psycho frame and the navy blue parts on the feet. Thankfully, all of the marks so far have been strategically hidden by the other armor pieces, so it's not too big a deal.

Overall, I am very impressed with this kit so far. It's my first Master Grade kit in a good while (talking close to 10 years) and it seems like the level of detail has improved to a level that is comparable to what drew me in so hard to PG kits. I'll update with more thoughts as the weapons and subsequent transformation to Destroy Mode occur.

uncleremuslegend
September 17, 2012, 2:02 PM
pics to see what you are talking about? it's hard to understand exactly what you are talking about without some sort of visual aid :thumbs:

ratfacedudeguy
September 18, 2012, 9:33 AM
That might be a bit tricky seeing as he's fully assembled now, but I'll try and capture what clip mark residue is left on the feet after a moderate cleanup. It just seemed stupid to me that most of the sprues are like 3mm thick, but only on the navy blue parts where the clip residue will show the most!

More thoughts: The beam gatlings especially were a pain in the ass to assemble. Each individual barrel is a separate piece, held together by a single central connector which then has the tip of each barrel sticking out from it. So since each gun has 4 barrels that means just the barrel assembly is 9 pieces, and there are 6 beam gatling guns. It's not that they were particularly difficult to assemble -- it was just very tedious. At that point I kind of gave up on shaving off each and every clip mark. If I couldn't get it off with a few scratches of my thumbnail, it stayed on there lol.

What was difficult however was the transformation from Unicorn mode to Destroy mode. Man, that was a project in and of itself, and it really had me missing my polycaps. Only some of the armor pieces snap in place, so it's very easy to undo what you just spent 5 minutes fiddling with trying to get perfect. In all I'd say the first transformation took me a half hour to 45 minutes to fully complete. I could transform my PG Zeta Gundam to Wave Rider mode and back in that kind of time!

Once the transformation to Full Armor is completed, poseability essentially drops to zero. Well no, maybe that's being a little too hard on him. It drops to maybe a 2 on a scale to 10 because you can still pose his legs (at the risk of further messing up the transformation) and his head. The arms though are just dead weight that sag back to a resting position no matter what you try to do with them. I'm not surprised with this at all, because if you could see just how much stuff was piled on there... it's just massive. What would have impressed me is if Bandai took a proactive approach to this and implemented some sort of joint locking or ratchet mechanism to aid the ability to hold a pose. If nowhere else just having those on the arms would have been fantastic.

Now for stuff that I like about the kit. Despite the lack of posability, having him just sit there Fix Figuration style just looks badass in every sense of the word. And although the assembly of the guns themselves was a pain, seeing each of them attached to the arms with more hanging on the backpack, and shields, hyper beam javelins (which are monstrous by the way!), and even more guns just adds more visual appeal to the design.

And speaking of the backpack, the kit does come with a piece that mounts underneath the backpack in Full Armor mode that allows you to attach directly to an Action Base stand. This was a welcome discovery because after seeing all that weight mounting I had a feeling that the standard crotch mount just wasn't going to cut it. The crotch mounts included with the Action Bases don't fit correctly without modification either because there are little connector pieces underneath the Unicorn's skirt armor behind both legs. It's not a big deal though. All i had to do was snip about a half centimeter off of the rear end of each side of the crotch mount and he fits like a glove in Unicorn mode. The kit itself does include a separate mount piece that mounts directly between the legs in Unicorn mode, but it's pretty much garbage as the connection is so loose and thin. Breathe on it wrong and he's sliding right off. I just threw the thing away and used my aforementioned modified 11mm crotch mount that was included with the Action Base and he was good to go.

It's a good thing I got a stand too because obviously with that type of design you're going to run into major weight issues. Another reviewer remarked that he didn't really trust an Action Base to hold the FAUG, but after mine has stayed put overnight without sagging or toppling over, I feel confident in recommending it. Just don't extend the stand's arm all the way out, keep him somewhat low to the ground and you'll be fine. It even does fine having the gigantic boosters (which are just as long as the actual Gunam is!) hang suspended without using the included bracket things you see in the pictures. Those things didn't really work for me anyway. They just kept slipping out from underneath the boosters.

Well I think that's all of my thoughts for now. I'm going to try and snap pictures sometime soon but I wouldn't count on having the lighting for it today -- pretty grey over here. Maybe if I feel extra crazy I'll document the transformation process...

Squee
September 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
The weight issues are so annoying on that kit. That's the main reason i haven't gone to pick mine back up from a store display. It's too bulky for my taste.

Gundamben831
October 6, 2012, 6:30 PM
the whole reason behind the no poly caps its similar in all of the Ka. models, He designed them that way to achieve more stable poseability. When I built my crossbone gundam i noticed the same thing and then I went back and checked my other Ka. models and sure enough no poly caps.

MechaGaikotsu
October 11, 2012, 9:22 AM
I've been weighing up buying this kit or the MS cage version of the Unicorn. Still can't decide, cool display base, or a crap-tonne of weapons!