PDA

View Full Version : First Gunpla Build

idged
September 6, 2012, 2:03 PM
I just ordered my first model kit. It is a RG 1/144 RX-78-2. I ordered the kit from amazon for $35 with free shipping along with a tamiya tool set and a Gm-01 Gundam Marker. The tool set has a side cutter, file, craft knife, and angled tweezers. Everything should be here within a week or so. Does anyone have any tips for me at all on filing, panel lining, or anything? I'm completely new so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

thwalker13
September 6, 2012, 2:10 PM
Congrats on the kit and the tool set. With the RG kits, just take your time and be easy with them. They have a lot of small moving parts that are easily broken. Don't force anything into place cause it will break. And be sure to pay close attention to the manuals. I've broken a few parts cause I didn't pay close enough attention.

Gundamben831
September 6, 2012, 2:30 PM
wow I thought I just read it as a hg kit but your jumping into an RG for the first time, now that is quite daring. I would do as Thwalker suggested as just go easy on the parts as the are much more delicate than regular gundam kits. You won't be disappointed though because that is a beautiful kit when finished.

idged
September 6, 2012, 2:43 PM
wow I thought I just read it as a hg kit but your jumping into an RG for the first time, now that is quite daring. I would do as Thwalker suggested as just go easy on the parts as the are much more delicate than regular gundam kits. You won't be disappointed though because that is a beautiful kit when finished.

Yeah I figured if I was going to spend the money I might as well go for the best of the best. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. I'm very anal about getting everything to be perfect.

Gundamben831
September 6, 2012, 3:02 PM
everything takes time and practice, hell I've been doing it for 16+ years and I still learn something new every kit I open up. The entire experience of gunpla changes with every kit and so far there really hasn't been a kit that I have regretted opening up and building. I know a few of my models that didn't survive the move such as my MG Sazabi =( my PG Wing Custom major ='( and then my MG RX-78GP01 the core fighter broke and then I wasn't able to put him back together anymore so they all went to the fodder pile to be used as something else sadly. A kit I would be weary of is the S-Gundam from the sentinel gundam series only because if you ever do build a zeta type transforming gundam then you will understand how much of a pain in the ass tiny moving parts can be and especially if one little bit breaks off or you clipped the wrong sprue. All in all I say have at it and please show us the progress I always like to see what other's are working on.

PS here is a shot of mine in a custom hangar base but still just have fun with your build that I feel is the main point to gunpla.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/gundamben831/DSCF1519.jpg

idged
September 6, 2012, 3:16 PM
Thanks. I'll definitely post pictures and updates of my progress. I hope mine comes out as good looking as that.

Deathscythe!
September 6, 2012, 3:19 PM
Well, I was doing decently bad, assembling my Deathscythe's parts.

Dlinker
September 6, 2012, 3:54 PM
One more key item that you must always have when working on a kit (especially an RG kit): patience. Whether you're cleaning nub marks or putting the parts together, or applying the stickers/decals, try not to rush it. It's taking you a week just to finish cleaning the nubs on the legs? Not a problem, you're being careful with it and it will show in the end. I've built close to 10 kits of various sizes in the few months I've been doing this and this is the one thing I always look back on as a point of improvement.

Gundamswag
September 6, 2012, 3:56 PM
Don't try to play around with the inner frame too much as it is a real grade. Make sure all the parts are on it first so it isn't as frail. Also use tweezers for the stickers because they're so small and be patient with it because the stickers add tremendous detail.

thwalker13
September 6, 2012, 4:08 PM
Swag makes a very good point about the frame work of RGs. My Mk.II arm snapped off a peg during construction. I wasn't playing with it, just putting it into place and it snapped right off. So just be careful and take your time.

idged
September 6, 2012, 4:13 PM
Yeah I'm pretty good being gentle with things and not snapping plastic. My main concern is damaging the plastic pieces when filing down excess material from the sprue tree.

thwalker13
September 6, 2012, 4:21 PM
Use you're lighting to make sure that you're not roughing up to much plastic. And use your finger and rub over the area a few times to make sure that it's nice and smooth. Also you can get a pretty good smooth area by using a modelers knife. Just gently go over the nub with it a time or two at an angle to remove the access. Saves a bit of time and you don't have to worry about sanding to much plastic off.

Deathscythe!
September 6, 2012, 4:58 PM
To give you useful adivce how to commence (or advance, depending on what you've done), it's deliberate for me to instruct you not to paint with Gundam Markers as I do. I've caught myself attempting to erase the applied color twice as I've been assembling my Rx-78-2.

If you possess Gundam markers, allow me to recommend using "cologne water" to delete the uneven, unflattened color, not satisfied by the result of your painting. However, if using correctly, you won't encounter difficulties painting your kit.

FelksStrike
September 6, 2012, 5:08 PM
everyone gives great advise. back when I was putting together Gundam Seed Scale grade 1/100 back in the day I rushed them. some time I go back and clean them up here and there. so work on it real slow. I never got in to RG 1/144, not a fan of them to small in my book. but doing Scale grade and master grade got me spoiled so much. still thinking which one should I start now I have 7 master grade and I cant decide which one to start this weekend ( No college class ) {but work at night tho}. good luck and hope to see how it comes around.

idged
September 6, 2012, 9:54 PM
PS here is a shot of mine in a custom hangar base but still just have fun with your build that I feel is the main point to gunpla.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/gundamben831/DSCF1519.jpg

Did you do any painting, panel lining, or top coating to that?

Gundamben831
September 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
just panel lining and added the decals no top coats or any painting just a straight build out of the box and numerous meticulous hours of putting on those damn decals. That right there is the most time consuming part I would have to say, because I usually just panel line as I build so usually by the time I'm done with a kit its just down to the decals which is my least favorite part but it has to be done unless you want a blank looking gunpla.

idged
September 12, 2012, 3:46 PM
Well the kit arrived today and I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of parts. I'm gonna take a stab at it on Saturday.

Jfl0
September 12, 2012, 3:58 PM
Hey id :) You are in for something special.

I would advise not worrying about painting or filing the kit and head straight for the build. Use the model nippers. Although most people recommend flat side cutting against the part, I cut with the flat side away to remove a part from the tree, then come back later and flat snip it. I find this decreases the chance you will be left with an ugly stub mark. There may be some, but RG quality will not let you down. Please post here or PM me for assistance- I'll check back every few days to see how your project is going :) Also: you can use an ultra fine sharpie for panel lining. Get one of those white erasers to clean up the lines. Those white erasers are the bees knees.

idged
September 12, 2012, 4:18 PM
Hey id :) You are in for something special.

I would advise not worrying about painting or filing the kit and head straight for the build. Use the model nippers. Although most people recommend flat side cutting against the part, I cut with the flat side away to remove a part from the tree, then come back later and flat snip it. I find this decreases the chance you will be left with an ugly stub mark. There may be some, but RG quality will not let you down. Please post here or PM me for assistance- I'll check back every few days to see how your project is going :) Also: you can use an ultra fine sharpie for panel lining. Get one of those white erasers to clean up the lines. Those white erasers are the bees knees.

Hey thats real nice of you. I'll post updates here on how things going.

uncleremuslegend
September 12, 2012, 4:47 PM
Also: you can use an ultra fine sharpie for panel lining. Get one of those white erasers to clean up the lines. Those white erasers are the bees knees.

while a sharpie is good stuff in the right application, even the thinnest ones can be a bit to big for my likes. i prefer the sakura micron 005/.20mm it is a bit more accurate, and easier to work in tight lines when using a marker

thwalker13
September 12, 2012, 5:01 PM
Congrats on getting your kit. Can't wait to see your update.

idged
September 12, 2012, 5:28 PM
while a sharpie is good stuff in the right application, even the thinnest ones can be a bit to big for my likes. i prefer the sakura micron 005/.20mm it is a bit more accurate, and easier to work in tight lines when using a marker

I ordered a GM-01 black Gundam Marker. I'll probably panel line once I'm all finished.

idged
September 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
Started working today and got the legs done
http://i50.tinypic.com/f1gnqd.jpg

Gundamben831
September 14, 2012, 11:42 PM
Started working today and got the legs done
http://i50.tinypic.com/f1gnqd.jpg

look at dem sexy legs =3

thwalker13
September 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Looking good so far good sir. How are you finding the RG experience?

idged
September 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
Worked some more today
http://i50.tinypic.com/2e0n3b5.jpg

idged
September 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2hreurq.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/33kd7qx.jpg

Can't see it too well but heres my crappy panel lining job.

idged
September 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Looking good so far good sir. How are you finding the RG experience?

Its cool but its not easy. I'm a little paranoid about it not coming out too well but I'm hoping it'll look better once the decals are on.

thwalker13
September 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
RG kits are a bear. Honestly the decals take longer than actually assembling the actual kit. And don't worry to much about it coming out perfect. Frankly no kit will. I've worked hard on a few of my kits and all of them have flaws. Besides, I'm sure it'll come out looking awesome.

Gundamben831
September 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2hreurq.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/33kd7qx.jpg

Can't see it too well but heres my crappy panel lining job.

hey I think its turning out great so far, every gundam is a new experience and a learning one at that too.

RG kits are a bear. Honestly the decals take longer than actually assembling the actual kit. And don't worry to much about it coming out perfect. Frankly no kit will. I've worked hard on a few of my kits and all of them have flaws. Besides, I'm sure it'll come out looking awesome.

indeed true I can for sure admit that a few of my kits have flaws but I hide them pretty well and that is pretty easy to do most times.

Gundamswag
September 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
Keep up the good work dude and you'll have one sweet looking RX-78 Gundam pretty soon.

Jfl0
September 17, 2012, 5:26 AM
It's looking great! Every one of my kits has some kind of a flaw. Every kit is a new experience, and you WILL improve. Looks fine to me so far :)

idged
September 20, 2012, 2:50 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ljgkfb.jpg
Almost done

Gundamben831
September 20, 2012, 4:46 PM
lookin real good, now on to the decals....

thwalker13
September 20, 2012, 5:01 PM
Man the decals. Good luck man. Can't wait to see it all done.

idged
September 20, 2012, 6:12 PM
lookin real good, now on to the decals....

I know its gonna suck. I might do a little more panel lining first.

Dlinker
September 20, 2012, 6:21 PM
Looks like it's going well for you. If you end up making some mistakes with the decals, don't feel bad. They can be quiet maddening at times :)

idged
September 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
I think I'm gonna have to buy another set or 2 of the stickers from Amazon. I ruined 2 and its going to drive me crazy.
Edit: These are the same thing right? http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Waterslide-Decals-GD-84-RX-78-2/dp/B003UTUF3K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2J307UB60H46F&coliid=IZBLEDI0SKOIX

Gundamben831
September 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
I think I'm gonna have to buy another set or 2 of the stickers from Amazon. I ruined 2 and its going to drive me crazy.
Edit: These are the same thing right? http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Waterslide-Decals-GD-84-RX-78-2/dp/B003UTUF3K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2J307UB60H46F&coliid=IZBLEDI0SKOIX
those decals are water slide so you would have to manually cut each one out and then dip it in water then slide it on the surface. A lot more complex than just the normal stickers

idged
September 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
those decals are water slide so you would have to manually cut each one out and then dip it in water then slide it on the surface. A lot more complex than just the normal stickers

Do you know if I can just buy an extra sticker sheet anywhere?

Gundamben831
September 22, 2012, 1:25 PM
that I don't know =( maybe try contacting bandai and see if you can get a replacement sheet from them or check ebay, those would be my best suggestions

idged
September 22, 2012, 7:39 PM
I think for my next kit im going to get something bigger. For now I'll just get the water slide decals.

idged
September 24, 2012, 3:07 PM
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the beam sword and rifle to hold into the hand? I'm having trouble with the grip being so flimsy with the peg.

Gundamben831
September 24, 2012, 3:56 PM
yeah its going to be like that, the hands are pretty delicate and require a bit of fidgeting to get the hands to hold them right.

thwalker13
September 24, 2012, 4:14 PM
Ben is right. I had a hard time getting my RG Freedom to hold it's rifle and beam sabers. Just be patient with it, and it will fit.

Gundamben831
September 24, 2012, 4:21 PM
Ben is right. I had a hard time getting my RG Freedom to hold it's rifle and beam sabers. Just be patient with it, and it will fit.

I'm just glad the RG Mk.II came with extra hands man it made so much of a difference. I was considering picking up a few pairs of these custom hands on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220858426170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
my only concern about these custom hands is that they may be flimsy or just uber delicate that I'd be afraid to put a gun or saber in them.

uncleremuslegend
September 24, 2012, 4:28 PM
I'm just glad the RG Mk.II came with extra hands man it made so much of a difference. I was considering picking up a few pairs of these custom hands on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220858426170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
my only concern about these custom hands is that they may be flimsy or just uber delicate that I'd be afraid to put a gun or saber in them.

those are MG sized replicas of the PG hands. If they are even half the quality of the PG hands, then they will be good to go and well worth the price.

Gundamben831
September 24, 2012, 4:43 PM
they say that they are HG size but maybe I am reading the auction wrong

EDIT::

Yeah if you look at the first image its clearly a HG kit the RX-78-2 you can tell that its a HG that they are showing in the display image.

uncleremuslegend
September 24, 2012, 4:50 PM
indeed, i see the 1/144 scale under in the description (i was going by the title), also noticed they had a link to the 1/100 sized one. will be adding these to my 'to-get' list, the PG-style hands should be a standard feature on all kits by now

Gundamben831
September 24, 2012, 5:45 PM
indeed, i see the 1/144 scale under in the description (i was going by the title), also noticed they had a link to the 1/100 sized one. will be adding these to my 'to-get' list, the PG-style hands should be a standard feature on all kits by now

I agree I think after my birthday I will pick up a few of these both the 1/100 and 1/144 I know of a few kits that need replacement hands and what better than to replace them with these? =3

Dlinker
September 24, 2012, 8:48 PM
I bought the gray 1/100 scale hands from these guys (via GGInfinite) and they really are worth the cost. The only downside is that the backplate slot isn't always compatible with the standard hands included with the kit. See the screenshots of it side-by-side with the hands from a 1/100 MG Strike Noir:

3478 3479 3480 3481

If I wanted to use these with the Strike Noir, I'd have to do a bit of customizing with the backplate to match the original. Building them can be a pain too because of how certain parts are meant to be attached. All that articulation is worth it, I think :)

thwalker13
September 24, 2012, 9:45 PM
That is pretty awesome looking. I might have to invest in a few of these. And, is it just me. Or are they significantly larger than the originals?

Dlinker
September 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
They're a bit larger than the originals, but the difference isn't noticeable when you see them in person. I put them on my MG Strike Noir and I think the slightly larger size matches the kit better than the originals. I put them on my MG MK II Titans and I actually couldn't see the size difference at all so maybe the originals on that kit are a better size match.

thwalker13
September 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
Sweet man. I'll need to took into these for some of my more intuitive kits. I'd like to see them done up in gold for the Strike Freedom.