PDA

View Full Version : Any Musicians Here?

Gundamswag
September 4, 2012, 8:17 AM
After reading the favorite bands thread, I wondered if anyone here was a musician. I play guitar myself and I'm currently in a band. I also dabble in singing although my voice isn't spectacular. Who else here plays music?

GNzaku0023
September 4, 2012, 9:46 AM
I play guitar, and I'm working on making a band.

swark34
September 4, 2012, 11:09 AM
I kick a lil freestyle every once in a while,do you have some of your music on youtube. I would like to check it out sometime

After reading the favorite bands thread, I wondered if anyone here was a musician. I play guitar myself and I'm currently in a band. I also dabble in singing although my voice isn't spectacular. Who else here plays music?

Gundamswag
September 4, 2012, 1:47 PM
Unfortunately I do not have any recordings up. :/ His old band has some recordings but we just started this new one and we're really excited about it. Right now, we're taking a hard rock/metalcore type of approach to music but I don't know what the other members will bring to the table because I haven't met them yet. I can play a variety of styles tho including funk, melodic, somber, and poppy.

Exia
September 4, 2012, 5:17 PM
Yeah, don't have a band. I play bass, guitar and vocals. Haven't played much lately.

Gundamswag
September 12, 2012, 2:58 PM
I'm no longer in the band, but I saw it coming because the drummer is a prick. Anyway, I'll try to post some original compositions here if anyone is interested.

Exia
September 12, 2012, 7:19 PM
Sure.

What's your setup?

ratfacedudeguy
September 12, 2012, 9:26 PM
Fellow guitarist here. Was playing electric pretty much exclusively for almost 10 years before switching to acoustic last May. I just got some cheap Takamines and an Alvarez baritone but they get the job done. I play solo compositions from the likes of Andy Mckee, Don Ross, Ewan Dobson and Michael Hedges. Taking the hobbyist approach so I don't play out or anything. Good to see done fellow musicians here on the Gundam Forum!

Gundamswag
September 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sure.

What's your setup?

I have my trusty Cube 30X amp that has a nice setting that mimics high quality tube amps and my Paul Reed Smith Custom 24. What's yours? Ratguy, would you care to share your setup as well? I'm still working on recording my compositions.

Exia
September 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Nice! I got a Cube 30X as well for guitar. I used to mainly be a bassist, so my amp for that is big bigger and louder, Peavey Basic 112 75 watts. But it's less about how loud it can get and more that you feel the bass. Whenever I record I run my guitar setup thru my bass amp, sounds better IMO.

For bass, if I need way heavy I'll just grab my Rockbass by Warwick 5 string Corvette. It's an amazing bass, but if I don't need extra heavy I just grab my '84 BC Rich NJ Stealth bass or my parts mutt BC Rich Warlock (it's got P/J combo, my preffered combo). For guitar, either my Fender Jagstang or 1964 Gibson SG if I want some punk or P90 sounds, but most times I just grab my BC Rich Platinum JR-V or BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird. In the end it doesn't matter which guitar I grab, they all have a tone I love.

My effects are a Boss DS-2 for distortion, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus and a Dunlop Wah. That's usually all I run, I've got a Digitech BP150 bass proccessor I use that when I record or need some wierd effect. I've got a DOD Phase pedal and a Digitech death metal distortion pedal as well. I usually just plug in a distortion pedal if I'm just noodling around.

Gundamswag
September 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
The cube is a fantastic amp. my very first guitar teacher recommended i get it several years ago and it hasn't caused me any problems. I've never needed a new amp at all. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with one. I also have a good Ibanez bass with a lackluster Ibanez bass amp it came with. I've got a BOSS digital delay pedal and the electro-harmonix micro Q-tron. You've got some nice stuff yourself mang. How's the small clone chorus?

Exia
September 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks, started playing when I was 15 and wasn't doing any gunpla so all my money went to gear except the SG, that's a family heirloom. My grandfather bought it for himself before he switched to mandolin (he's a country/bluegrass player) then when my dad got good he bought it off my grandfather (cause that's how my family rolls, my dad sold my grandfather his PA system when he stopped playing) then the SG spend 30 years in its case, I started playing asked to change the strings on it and that was 9 years ago. My dad hasn't asked for it back, if anything he's already given it to me, he'd rather be aroun to see my enjoy my inheiritence.

The SCC is great, haven't used it in a while. If you've ever heard "Smells like teen spirit" you'll know what the SCC does, Cobain uses it for the majority of the song. Gives a nice sound, with the right setting I can get my 6 string to sound sorta 12 stringish.

These are pretty old, http://www.myspace.com/extraction9 but it's some recordings I've done. I'm not the one singing or playing drums for "Cowboy remix 2000", that was a buddy of mine helping me figure out my 8 track digital recorder. It was all thrown together in single takes, if one of us messed up it's still in the recording. "Death Wave" is pure bass, a normal bass track and a distorted bass track and drum machine. I sorta messed up "Silence is the Antonym", the first word gets cut off. I make no claims of being a "good" musician, just that I am a musician. As long as I'm having fun playing that's all that matters.

Gundamswag
September 13, 2012, 1:20 PM
That's pretty cool that your SG is an heirloom. I MIGHT make my PRS an heirloom if I stop playing guitar someday and my son (if I have one) is worthy. Lol

So is the SCC the thing Cobain's using during the verse? It sounds pretty cool.

My laptop is barely able to have the volume high enough for Cowboy to hear the guitar part, but I can make out that it's on beat. lol Did you do that Silence is the Antonym song? I really like the driving riff in Death Wave.

Exia
September 13, 2012, 5:34 PM
That's pretty cool that your SG is an heirloom. I MIGHT make my PRS an heirloom if I stop playing guitar someday and my son (if I have one) is worthy. Lol

So is the SCC the thing Cobain's using during the verse? It sounds pretty cool.

My laptop is barely able to have the volume high enough for Cowboy to hear the guitar part, but I can make out that it's on beat. lol Did you do that Silence is the Antonym song? I really like the driving riff in Death Wave.

Yeah I did all for Silence is the Antonym, thanks Death Wave was fun to record, I don't know what happened with Cowboy it should've had somewhat decent volume levels.

PsycommuLeviathan
September 13, 2012, 6:35 PM
I play a Pearl EXP drum kit and a Peavy 5 string bass.

swark34
September 14, 2012, 1:19 AM
does guitar hero or rock band count lol

Gundamswag
September 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
The Silence is the Antonym song has a lot of potential. I reminds me of a mix between Soundgarden and Failure. No swark. lol Psycommu, how long you been playing?

Also, does anyone here play piano? I'm thinking of picking it up because I'm getting into a lot of piano driven music.

D-Smith
September 14, 2012, 4:35 PM
i play drums and guitar as a hobby not really in a band but i have to much gear then i could list. about 30 guitars 3 sets of drums 10 bass's and for the rest of the gear like amps, stacks, heads, boards, monitors well i would be here all damn day.

Gundamswag
September 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
30 guitars? Might I ask which guitars you own?

D-Smith
September 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
well the most valuable one is the randy rhoads les paul custom. got a few charvels from the 80's, obviously a few fenders, gibson sg 62 reissue. got a few ibanez, ones actually steve vais model and its signed by him. the one i play the most though is an old 80's westone or the fake SG my grandpa built. i am probably forgetting some but most of them are in storage 360 miles away.

extend
October 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
I am a programmer by profession, but I play piano, guitar, base, drums, a little bit of flute, and a very little of violin. I'm also an assistant choir director. Only if I could go full time with music...

swark34
October 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
I did use to play the trumpet and bartone as well back in the day

extend
October 5, 2012, 1:13 AM
I'm sorry. I did a double post by mistake. I just have to edit this post.

Gundamswag
October 5, 2012, 2:17 PM
Extend, how would you recommend I learn the piano? I have 29-key keyboard to practice on.

extend
October 6, 2012, 2:07 AM
Extend, how would you recommend I learn the piano? I have 29-key keyboard to practice on.

Hmmm... I started with a real upright piano with complete 88 keys as early as 10 years old. Now I always find myself having problems with keyboards having 5 octaves only.

I actually had a piano teacher bacl then, and later self-studied after learning how to read notes. I would actually recommend keyboards with complete 88 keys.

Zeon's RedComet
October 20, 2012, 1:25 AM
Like Swark I dabbled in the Trumpet and Baritone.

Allways wanted to learn how to play the Piano, Guitar, and Violen...also want to learn the pipe organ. (Gigantic Cathedral sized one none the less.)

ratfacedudeguy
October 25, 2012, 2:43 PM
Guitarist here. Been playing for about 10 years now, the first 8 of which were devoted to electric exclusively, and now these past 2 have been dedicated to acoustic. My main electric is my Ibanez RGT42DXFM, played through a Marshall MF350 head, MF400 cab, Zoom multi effect processor in the effects loop (EQ, delays, reverbs, etc), Bad Horsie 2 wah, Digitech Whammy 2, and Fulltone Ultimate Octave in front of the amp. As for my acoustics, I'm pretty much just playing some cheap Takamine G series models and an Alvarez ABT60 baritone unplugged.

Oh, and I also played saxophone for 5 or 6 years in school, first chair in the school band, all district band, and jazz band. Started on alto, switched to tenor after a year or two. Always wanted a bari but could never afford it. I've dabbled in a few more random stupid instruments, such as the mandatory elementary school recorder, the Songbird Ocarina (mine is modeled after the Fairy Ocarina but I'm kicking myself for not getting the Ocarina of Time), and I mess around on the keyboard a bit, so I've got a little bit of a musical background under my belt.

Gundamswag
November 17, 2012, 4:14 PM
So I actually am in a band now...and I actually have recorded demos. All we need is a bassist and for me to come up with more material to work with for songs. I need to get an amp. Ratface, I am looking to get a new amp to play shows. I was thinking either marshall or mesa, but my friend says a vox will work just as well with a mic. Have you tried a vox with a mic before?

ratfacedudeguy
November 17, 2012, 4:44 PM
Honestly no, but some people swear by vox I know that much. I'm a terrible person to answer any questions about sound engineering because all my gigs were done super amateurishly when I was 14 to 16, and everything that seems like it'd make logical sense to me just doesn't seem to work lol. I really like the tone of the Mode Four, especially because you don't have to use a distortion or overdrive pedal to get a good metal sound, and it never got too popular at all so you can snatch one up for a good price. I would have liked to pick up a good mesa, but the price has always been a prohibiting factor. Actually, if you're interested in picking up a Mode Four you can PM me because I've been thinking about getting rid of mine for a while and I'd let it go for cheap.

Gundamswag
November 17, 2012, 5:36 PM
Honestly no, but some people swear by vox I know that much. I'm a terrible person to answer any questions about sound engineering because all my gigs were done super amateurishly when I was 14 to 16, and everything that seems like it'd make logical sense to me just doesn't seem to work lol. I really like the tone of the Mode Four, especially because you don't have to use a distortion or overdrive pedal to get a good metal sound, and it never got too popular at all so you can snatch one up for a good price. I would have liked to pick up a good mesa, but the price has always been a prohibiting factor. Actually, if you're interested in picking up a Mode Four you can PM me because I've been thinking about getting rid of mine for a while and I'd let it go for cheap.

Hmm, I'll think about it. I mainly want an amp that can pull off the same tones that paramore and emarosa use.