PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy kits?

idged
September 3, 2012, 2:30 PM
I'm curious to know what websites you guys buy Gundam kits from. The cheapest place I can seem to find is amazon.com.

ItsVince725
September 3, 2012, 2:34 PM
Hobbywave is my favorite place for buying kits lately, because they offer reasonable prices and flat rate shipping.

But it's a bit of a waste if you only order, say, a single 1/144 scale kit.

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 2:35 PM
I usually get mine from Gundam Store and More. Their prices are hard to beat. Lately I've been stocking up on paints, so I've been going to Hobbywave instead since they stock Mr. Color paints.

Deathscythe!
September 3, 2012, 2:47 PM
Hobbywave is my favorite place for buying kits lately, because they offer reasonable prices and flat rate shipping.

But it's a bit of a waste if you only order, say, a single 1/144 scale kit.

To start with, I know that I have had OCD for a few months now and I've already foreseen many things not occuring at that time, and I seem to have done so with this. I'm now wondering about whether I didn't remark and read a topic resembling with this a few weeks ago. I'll prove to be assuming correctly, if anybodyd posts "not you again!".

However, to actually divert the focus on advising you where to purchase, I declare appreciation for HLJ. You know, when I was benefitted by HLJ first, I had ordered my D-Scythe Hell 1/144 for 20€. Nevertheless, I had expected to have arranged a great deal, until I was acquainted with HLJ (appreciation goes to Joe).
There I was comparing prices and guess what ? I even made a compilation of kits I desired to acquire.
That being done, I compensated for it, by applying the 44€ I had transferred to my bank account beforehand.
You know what it was ?

RX-78-2
Char's Zaku
Gundam Marker set (06 I suppose.)

So far, I've already checked how much I'd have spent if I had selected HLJ instead of eBay. Or rather let's clarify this to you : IF I had used ebay, I'd have had to pay 55€ for the goodies plainly listed above.

Having done this, I'm now recommending using HLJ (e.g) for one usually combines products with others to attain cheaper shipping costs. But hey, there're also members on the forums that regularily sell kits for a nice price.

Have fun purchasing things

DeathscyHTe

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 2:50 PM
And HLJ usually has a flat rate shipping sale around Thanksgiving or Christmas, IIRC. So that's a nice way to get around the shipping costs from Japan.

Gundamswag
September 3, 2012, 3:14 PM
I have bought exclusively from Gundam Planet aside from a purchase from Joe. The thing I don't get about HLJ is that their prices are listed in yen. What's the deal with that? How am I supposed to pay in yen?

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 3:20 PM
Their prices are in yen because they're based in Japan and that's how the kits are priced. The conversion to your local currency happens automatically when you purchase. You can mouse over the price to get an estimate for dollars and euros. That means that the actual HLJ prices will fluctuate slightly over time with the exchange rate, but don't expect to see any major swings.

ItsVince725
September 3, 2012, 3:36 PM
I used to love HLJ, but their shipping costs REALLY spiked and now I'm done with them.

J-muss
September 3, 2012, 3:43 PM
Never new about Hobbywave, but they seem to have a better selection then GSaM(especially at the moment). Maybe I'll start ordering there...

Gundamswag
September 3, 2012, 3:45 PM
How much is HLJ's shipping cost? Their prices are WAY better than gundam planet.

ItsVince725
September 3, 2012, 4:27 PM
How much is HLJ's shipping cost? Their prices are WAY better than gundam planet.

They wanted to charge me something like 2300 yen for shipping three High Grades, which is something like 27 dollars.

Squee
September 3, 2012, 5:10 PM
HLJ, Gundamplanet, and ImageAnime for plastic kits. For supplies i tend to either grab them at Gundamplanet, or Robot4less.

Joe
September 3, 2012, 5:12 PM
I used to order exclusively from HLJ in the early 2000's, but that was when 1 USD was worth 120 Yen, so kits were really cheap after currency conversion. Now I buy from GSaM and Robot4Less.

Gundamswag
September 3, 2012, 7:16 PM
HLJ has me confused a little bit. If I add kits to my cart that have a restock date or haven't been released yet, the shipping is only calculated with them. Do I ever get charged shipping for them? Or is shipping free when you buy items that haven't been released yet and/or are being restocked soon?

thwalker13
September 3, 2012, 8:42 PM
I highly doubt that shipping would be free. I'm sure you'd eventually get charged or it might be added later on in the checkout process. As for me I order from Gundam Store and More, and GGinfinite.

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 9:18 PM
HLJ calculates shipping when kits are available to ship. So, it won't calculate it immediately on things that aren't in stock and ready to go. You WILL pay shipping on the items, but you won't know exactly how much until HLJ has them in hand.

Joe
September 3, 2012, 9:23 PM
Their shopping cart will only calculate shipping for IN STOCK items at HLJ. Backordered, restock, and pre-order items will be charged shipping separately. Their shipping for RD figures and magazines with exclusive kits isn't so bad. In fact, it's cheaper to order a Dengeki or Hobby Japan through HLJ and use FedEx shipping on that single item that it is to wait for GGInfinite to get it in and charge you nearly $5 to $10 more.

When HLJ has a shipping sale, I order from them because even with the free shipping I get from GSaM (proud platinum member, BTW), HLJ's low Japan direct prices just cannot be beat. Gunpla is so so so so cheap in Japan, if I ever get to go over there, I'll spend one entire day shopping for Gunpla and bring a very large empty suitcase just for what I buy.

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 9:42 PM
I need to try and actually make sure that I have cash on hand when HLJ pops their flat rate shipping sale this year. I keep not having money whenever they do that. Now that HLJ does 20% off of Gunpla as a matter of course, they pretty much can't be beat with flat shipping.

J-muss
September 3, 2012, 9:49 PM
I need to try and actually make sure that I have cash on hand when HLJ pops their flat rate shipping sale this year. I keep not having money whenever they do that. Now that HLJ does 20% off of Gunpla as a matter of course, they pretty much can't be beat with flat shipping.

when are they doing flat-rate shipping? If its soon I might wait to order the stuff I was planning to order.

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 9:58 PM
I think they usually do it sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Joe might remember better.

Joe
September 3, 2012, 11:08 PM
Well, they do try to do a flat rate shipping sale starting around Thanksgiving and it usually lasts through Christmas. If I remember correctly, last year they did the Big Box shipping special. If your entire order fit into this GIANT box that Scott T. Hards (owner of HLJ) was sitting in it shipped for one low price, BUT you had to order one of their special offered items which were pretty expensive. One of those items being the PG Strike Freedom, which they were offering on sale for 45% off or something like that. I pray I have cash flow by then.

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 11:12 PM
I'll be honest. If they have PGs on a huge special during flat rate shipping, I might be forced to come up with the money any way I can. Especially if it's the PG 00 Raiser....

Joe
September 3, 2012, 11:49 PM
I'll be honest. If they have PGs on a huge special during flat rate shipping, I might be forced to come up with the money any way I can. Especially if it's the PG 00 Raiser....

Sometimes I wish I could just "like" a response in a thread like on Facebook. But instead I have to reply by saying something like:

Any way you can? Geez, if I'm not working by then and they're offering PG's on sale with cheap shipping, I'm going to have to sell my body. Hopefully I can sell it by the pound and really make a killing XD!

Suzaku
September 3, 2012, 11:54 PM
"Why do you look like a boody skeleton?"

*points at full set of PGs*

"Excellent choice!"

MiyoMiyoChan
September 4, 2012, 12:33 AM
I get mine at Amazon~ :D

Gundamswag
September 4, 2012, 5:19 AM
Ok one more question. Does Hobby Link Japan wait to ship your items you've bought when all items are available like Gundam Planet does? Or do they ship the ones that are in stock right away and ship the others later?

TrowaBarton
September 5, 2012, 7:48 AM
Anyone familiar with Tatsuhobby? I stumbled upon them one day and they seem to have a nice collection of sets, even reasonably priced. But I'd like to hear from someone who's actually bought from them. Anyone?

Asterisk
September 5, 2012, 7:55 AM
I've bought from Tatsu on a couple of occasions. They ship very fast.

Deathscythe!
September 5, 2012, 8:15 AM
Tatsu? I've never heard anything concerning that. What are their prices like?

Dlinker
September 5, 2012, 10:41 AM
Tatsuhobby is an online store that's located in San Jose, CA. I haven't done a deep comparison of their prices, but they're more or less the same as other domestic online stores like Robot4less or GundamPlanet (probably a bit cheaper than GundamPlanet). It says on their website that they ship internationally as well. Don't be fooled by the simple-looking website, they seem to be very legit and they have a Facebook that's active with constant updates (though not recently since they're attending a convention). A wide selection of kits from different brands too. I plan to try them out for my next kits since they're not far from where I live.

As to the thread's question, I've bought my kits from a variety of places:

- AmiAmi
- HLJ
- Gundam Planet
- Robot4Less
- Amazon
- Gundam Store and More
- GGInfinite
- ModelGrade.net (prices aren't that much different, but they ship super fast, the owner is responsive, and I typically get my kits in 3-4 days after ordering).

J-muss
September 5, 2012, 6:18 PM
Does Tatsu have free shipping? I just did a fake checkout through paypal and the item total is the same exact as the item's price.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't scroll down enough to see what the shipping methods were...

Joe
September 5, 2012, 9:11 PM
Gundamswag, this is for you.

http://www.hlj.com/newhlj.html

Should answer your questions about HLJ and shipping orders.

Suzaku
September 5, 2012, 9:56 PM
Hobbywave generally has pretty quick shipping. I can give you a solid estimate once the order I placed this past weekend arrives.

Suzaku
September 8, 2012, 4:00 PM
FedEx just rolled up with my Hobbywave package. So, it took a week from the time I placed the order until I received it. Tracking says I shouldn't have it for another three days :P

Dlinker
September 8, 2012, 7:31 PM
Very nice :) Always good to receive a kit earlier than expected. Next time I buy a kit, I'll go with a domestic place that delivers using UPS, since they always come in later in the day, when I'm already home from work.

Ikaoru
September 8, 2012, 8:54 PM
Mine is Toyarena... Their prices helps my wallet. Distance travel is 30 mins or so...

According to the website. Their delivery is within a week in US area.

Bit bum that they don have GN-X HG

Polaris Gundam
September 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
soooooo... Ive been looking to get a really HIGH grade model kit. but nothing as insane as the Perfect grades.
I also want something unique.
I'm thinking the MG RX-78-5.

uncleremuslegend
September 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
i buy from hobbytownUSA at the store fronts as much as possible, have 5 really close locations on the way to and from work, and a new location opening within 15minutes this week...they are supplied from HLJ so if i need to order a specific kit, if HLJ has it, i can get it in less than a week, and i don't have to pay shipping...if i want to buy multiple kits at a time i will buy from whatever site has free shipping for orders over $x.xx, and any others that have standardized one price shipping... it just depends on who i want to give my money to at the time, but being that the shops are local business and helps my local economy directly by staying local, i lean towards leaving the shop with kits in hand, plus it builds relationships with the old guys that run the shops, and those guys are very knowledgeable

Joe
September 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
I was just told by a guy at my local hobby shop that he can order Gundam kits for me. Slot and Wing doesn't carry them, but they know where to get them. Awesome. I think next time I'm going to order, I'll talk to them.

uncleremuslegend
September 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
:thumbs: most of the smaller retailers will source from HLJ and get business shipping, so it might end up being 5-10 dollars more to get a kit, ie 24.99 instead of 19.99online, but that is a small price to pay for keeping the money in the local economy vs giving to someone in hong kong/tokyo or wherever... plus the more you order, the more they profit, and the more likely you are to get deals a few orders up the road... really excited they are opening a new location that close after closing the last one down 7years ago...

Joe
September 10, 2012, 2:12 PM
Actually, I think Slot and Wing get's there stuff from Hobbico's or Horizon Hobby's warehouses. I'm not sure where they get Gunpla from, but I know they warehouse it.