PDA

View Full Version : How Much is Too Much?

Gundamswag
September 1, 2012, 2:22 AM
Ok, like many of you, I've noticed that gunpla is addicting and expensive. That's a horrible combination for a fellow's wallet. I find myself saying "Shut up and take my money" quite often and I have to stop myself from buying the cool kits I don't REALLY REALLY want. My heart is currently set on the hg 1/144 GP03, which is $340 and I still have plans on getting the hg gundam x, hg brave commander type, and MG buster gundam. So I ask you all, how much is too much? Is there never too much or should purchases be spread out?

Deathscythe!
September 1, 2012, 6:04 AM
Spending 340$ and acquiring an HG 1/144 in exchange? 340$ ?!?!?!?! That's beyond the limits of too much. It rather resembles with stupidity (I don't intend to affront you, but seriously!)
Allow me to compute, will you? Or rather, I'll perform/execute an experiment on HLJ concerning/focusing how many HG you're able to purchase for 340$ =

I've now finished evaluating how many can be purchased by 340$
All exhibited items were displayed as "AVAILABLE"
Shipping needs 8860 YEN
Models do require 17665 YEN
Adding both amounts, we calculate = 26525 YEN, according to my calculator
340 US-Dollar = 26 635,331 Yen According to Google.

All of these are 1/144 and HIGH-GRADE

List of all HGs :

Sandrock Endless Waltz = 640
Wing Zero = 800
Tallgeese = 640
Heavyarms = 640
Exia as trans-am version = 960
Bushido's Ahead = 960
Tierien space mode = 675
BUSTER GUNDAM (Isn't that Dearka's ?) REMASTERED = 800
Seraphim = 800
Serpent Custom SPECIAL = 960
Calamity Gundam = 960
Hyperion Gundam = 960
Beginning Gundam GPB X80 = 800
0 GUndam = 960
HGUC Guntank = 640
00 Gundam = 800
Blitz Gundam (Blitz is german and means flash/spark) = 960
Nadleeh Gundam = 960
Cherudium = 960
Age-1 Spallow = 960

Furthermore, this selection of HG 1/144s would be delivered within 2-4 business days, according to what is promised by HLJ.

DO reconsider your idea.

Gundamswag
September 1, 2012, 9:12 AM
Mr. Deathcythe. I don't think you are aware of just how bad ass this $340 hg is. While the price is hefty, I can't deny that it is definitely a huge kit (40 inches in diameter) and with a lot of fantastic features. The gp03 dendrobium is one of my favorite gundams and this seems to be the only kit of it that does it any kind of justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AomnaK1pk

Asterisk
September 1, 2012, 9:38 AM
I want a Dendrobium like nobodies bussiness, but I just cannot justify that price.

Deathscythe!
September 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
20 HG VS one gigantic one. Which one'd win? xD

Yeah it looks impressive and I've rarely seen anything as overwhelming as this but it doesn't stand a chance and isn't equal to an army of 20 HGs

thwalker13
September 1, 2012, 11:28 AM
Though impressive, I simply cannot justify spending that kind of money on a HG kit. I have a HGUC GP03, though it's just the MS not the Dendrobium. And that alone is good enough for me. The only time I'll ever spend that much on a kit. Is if it's a perfect grade.

Deathscythe!
September 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
Coming to think of it, even PGs are partially cheaper than this kit. Comparing PGs and this kit's price, PGs are even cheaper to buy I guess.

Gundamswag
September 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm probably an idiot...but I am gonna buy it someday. I want it that bad...

Deathscythe!
September 1, 2012, 1:14 PM
As long as it doesn't harm you, do as you wish. It's your money. But don't claim not to have been advised not to purchase it and regret spending (precious) money afterwards.

Gundamswag
September 1, 2012, 1:33 PM
lol ok dude. :D

Exia
September 1, 2012, 6:53 PM
You are talking about this one right? http://dalong.net/review/hg/h28/h28_p.htm Cause I could swear there was that one and a cheapish one. I think it's too much, but I don't really like the whole Dendrobium thing, I prefer the GN Arms.

Deathscythe!
September 1, 2012, 7:50 PM
Purchasing 20 hgs with that amount of money permits you to join the 1/144 corps, doesn't it, exia?

Exia
September 1, 2012, 8:29 PM
Purchasing 20 hgs with that amount of money permits you to join the 1/144 corps, doesn't it, exia?

Ehh...not really, while the numbers matter the fact is someone has to choose to only build 1/144 grade also comes into play.

Joe
September 1, 2012, 8:32 PM
There can never be too much. I look at it this way. Some guys have a car that they love and they wash it every weekend and they're always buying new parts for it and re-building the engine and yadda yadda yadda. The car or truck, whatever, is their passion and they will sink thousands of dollars into it every year! Then you've got people like my brother for example, loves hunting, loves guns, loves his bows. He's always buying new guns and new bows and new accessories and he sinks thousands of dollars into his passion every year! Then you got guys that just LOVE their lawn, and they work and toil away in the dirt and buy bug/grub killers, and specials seeds, and fertilizers, and flowers, and fencing, and pots for planting, and a new hose every year, etc. etc. And they sink thousands of dollars every year into their passion.

If Gunpla is your passion, "blowing the wad" on HGUC Dendrobium is perfectly acceptable! I can tell you, when I was working, I made sure all my bills were paid, a few bucks were kept away for a rainy day (unfortunately it's been pouring rain for 9 months so that's all gone), and I'd take my woman out to dinner every so often, but every extra penny I had went to Gundam and I'm not ashamed at all to say last year, I spent over $3,800 on models. But that's my passion. I don't have kids to feed, my bills are cheap, I was making decent money for someone with my lifestyle.

So there ya have it, bro. As long as your bills are paid, you're not in massive debt, and you're actively saving for your future, who cares what you do with your extra money?! I say buy it and don't you dare look back! I'll buy that monster someday, myself. As a matter of fact, it'll be the first kit I buy after I have completed all of the AGE line (which I don't have all of right now) and bring my backlog down to a respectable level.

Gundamswag
September 1, 2012, 9:34 PM
I think you have the right idea Joe. As long as the bills are paid and I'm saving for my future, it shouldn't matter that I'm spending so much on a model. I remember spending so much on an xbox I can't even enjoy anymore because I just don't play video games aside from a few anymore. I thought about going for the meteor unit freedom or the gn arms dynames, but I admire the dendrobium all too well. Also, there is a cheap 1/550 scale dendrobium but it's pretty lackluster.

Shiro45
September 1, 2012, 9:41 PM
VERY lackluster. I've had that kit for years and still haven't painted it...

I also agree with you Joe. If the bills are paid and you want it, GET IT! The real problem is when you have more than one passion for your hobby... I'm not just buying Gunpla, but also about $1,500+ on museum quality dinosaur replicas in the last year... The hard part is balancing spending on multiple hobbies...

thwalker13
September 2, 2012, 2:03 AM
That is why I have very few hobbies. But, I do agree with everyone. If it's what you want, and you can safely afford it. Buy that kit man!

Suzaku
September 2, 2012, 6:09 PM
I have the HGUC Dendrobium sitting in my closet. Trust me, it's worth it. Just the box is a couple of feet long and looks rather like a footlocker, and it has more parts than some PGs. The thing is around a meter long after it's all assembled.

Granted, it wasn't $340 when I got it, and it was a gift, but still. There is a lot to love in that kit. And it will take a loooong time to do. Additionally, you do get the MS with it, so it's kind of like two models for the price! :p

Squee
September 2, 2012, 8:28 PM
I had that kit, recently sold it. It was sitting built on my shelf for almost 8 years, and in a box dismantled for 1 year. Honestly, it's an amazing kit, but it just takes up way too much room. The latest currency conversion on the price is insane as well. I managed to buy it for $200 in Chinatown many years ago when it first came out. I wish i would have gotten the smaller partially prepainted 2 set of the Dendrobium and Nues Ziel that goes for a little over 100.

As for something being too much... Try buying resin lol I'm currently saving to buy the 1/35th GP03. The original G systems model is almost 1500$. The recast i've been eyeing is 700$. And that's before shipping (probably at least 100$). I'm debating if i should just go with a cheaper 1/35 FSS Mirage Bust.

Gundamswag
September 3, 2012, 12:26 AM
I have really considered the amount of room it takes up. I'm going to wait a year and if I still want it I'll go ahead and get it. Lol I've got my eyes focused on the meteor unit hg and freedom rg now. :D I've developed a liking to the meteor unit somehow. I've seen how overpriced those resin kits are but they are very well done as well and very detailed. Is G Systems connected with Bandai at all?

Squee
September 3, 2012, 6:39 AM
I believe at one point many years ago they had license to make a few kits, but right now the only resin that is associated with Bandai is B Club. Everything else is unlicensed.

uncleremuslegend
September 6, 2012, 8:47 AM
if it's something you want and can afford it, then get it... like DS said, it's your money... but then again 350 is quite a bit, maybe hunt down a GP01FB PG to display next to it.... ;)

ratfacedudeguy
September 6, 2012, 9:55 AM
Hey man, no shame in the game. I just dropped 800 bucks on 3 PG kits (including the GP01 mentioned above), and I'm happy as a clam to have done so. The HGUC Dendrobium is next on my list personally, so if you're really into it I encourage you to go for it.

Deathscythe!
September 6, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hey man, no shame in the game. I just dropped 800 bucks on 3 PG kits (including the GP01 mentioned above), and I'm happy as a clam to have done so. The HGUC Dendrobium is next on my list personally, so if you're really into it I encourage you to go for it.

You sir, are forcing me to be wondering about how much you could've purchased, if you hadn't spent that much on Kits. C'mon 800$? I'm not claiming it to be indeliberate, but coming to think about it, spending 800$ at once will certainly cause you inconvenience or issues, if you don't earn a lot.

uncleremuslegend
September 6, 2012, 10:48 AM
lol...settle down DS ;)

i want to see what a 800purchase looks like before evaluating it *COUGH COUGH* wip/finished thread?? *COUGH COUGH*... i assume that he makes tons o cash to buy that much at once, especially when you could get tons of other kits for the same price like you insinuated

Dlinker
September 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
You sir, are forcing me to be wondering about how much you could've purchased, if you hadn't spent that much on Kits. C'mon 800$? I'm not claiming it to be indeliberate, but coming to think about it, spending 800$ at once will certainly cause you inconvenience or issues, if you don't earn a lot.

Perhaps it's just a matter of priorities for him, and there can be worse things to buy with $800 (like certain electronics you don't really need or expensive clothing/accessories). Personally, I thought I was doing too much buying the PG Red Frame Astray for around $265. However, I realized that I wanted to build a PG and I wanted to build the Red Frame so in the end, it didn't bother me much. Of course, it helped that I was saving up for a bit of splurging already.

Deathscythe!
September 6, 2012, 11:00 AM
It doesn't matter how much you spend, but there's definitely some questioning related to purchasing them all at once.

If I had been you, i'd have executed different steps :

1. Purchasing PG1 and evaluating its condition. Am I satisfied ?| [NO] Assemble it, now that you've compensated for its acquisition and never risk to do that for the next few months. [YES] Assemble it, feel honoured and proud. Purchase another one. But not now. Later.
2. Attaining PG2, having spent an equal amount of money. [NO] Do as explained/taught/clarified in step 1. [Yes] initiate the steps stated in step 2.
3. Having obtained kit 3 ... [Yes] Do it carefully and circumspectly. You've bought/purchased too many to be able to afford another one. If there's one offered, decide consideringly. [NO] I'll keep this nuisance. Maybe I'll dig it, having packed it in a box to enable upcoming generations to be acquainted with Gundam.

Squee
September 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
My friend Li showed me his orders at Gundamplanet last time we visited. His first order was for $1200 worth of MG's, the next was a $900 order including a creos ab setup, and the one after was another $1000 order. This was all in a 2 month span. If you can afford to spend the money, i.e. liquid cash, there's nothing wrong with doing it.

@Deathscyhte: I used to be kind of the same way, but each person is different. Sometimes people just like to buy in bulk. If they can do it, pay their bills, have all their real priorities in order, then it's really not your place to tell them it's wrong.

ratfacedudeguy
September 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
Well, here's what the whole thing boils down to. I sold off the majority of an extensive yoyo collection to buy these kits, so I didn't spend a dime of "new money" on these things. I've also built a few PGs before this one -- Zeta was my first, followed by Char's Zaku II, Wing Zero Custom, Gundam MkII Titans, Strike Freedom, and Glorious Series Gouf and Rick Dom, so believe me when I say I knew exactly what I was getting into. In that respect, spacing out the purchases would have been irrelevant. Honestly I'm pretty much spoiled on PG kits now in case you couldn't tell. Can't even remember the last time I built a HG or MG...

Dlinker
September 6, 2012, 11:44 AM
You're not worried that because there aren't that many PG kits out yet, you'll run out of them to work on?

I agree with what Squee said. I once spent close to $1300 within two months on rare figures alone. But, that money came from last year's vacation savings that I ended up not using so it didn't make much of a dent on my bank account. Same deal with what ratfacedudeguy did when he bought his PG kits.

ratfacedudeguy
September 6, 2012, 1:22 PM
You're not worried that because there aren't that many PG kits out yet, you'll run out of them to work on?

Eh, not really. I don't typically splurge like this, and even so there are more PG kits out there than I even care to build already so I should be set for a while. I'm definitely going to sit on that 00 Raiser kit for a while before I build it, so even though I bought them all at once, I didn't intend to build them all at once.

Dlinker
September 6, 2012, 2:37 PM
True, and it's not like PG kits take a short time to build. Especially if you're the type that likes to make them really pretty. The sheer amount of details on them is a detail-freak's wet dream. Makes me wonder if I should dress up any details on the PG Red Frame I have yet to build.

ratfacedudeguy
September 6, 2012, 2:47 PM
Yeah you ain't kidding there. Up to this point I haven't bothered with dressing up the details or anything as I prefer the building process to painting and finishing by a long shot. I have been entertaining the idea of dabbling some more into that though, so perhaps I'll experiment with an HG or RG kit in the future. Not to mention the fact that adding all the decals and stickers to kits of PG magnitude can be a full scale project in and of itself -- that whole aspect I'm only just starting to embrace as I used to find decals kind of tacky. With that being said I'm sure I'll have my hands full for a while, whether I decide to order some more kits or not.

Gundamswag
September 11, 2012, 7:28 PM
It's awesome that you'll be collecting gunpla again! I just got into it this year and I've already spent so much! It's so addicting, but I hope you can maybe spend a little less on video games so you can get your gunpla fix.

Jfl0
September 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Swag,

I would say "too much" is when Gunpla messes with your other finances. I am very frugal with my money, despite having a small stockpile of models (which is now dwindling). I like to window shop online. By doing so, I have come up with a list of kits I want to buy, their price, and "how bad" I want them. I set up a formula to give me a number with the units of "price/desire". Considering my desire to build a kit AND it's price plus shipping, I can determine roughly what order to buy kits in. So far, it hasn't failed me. In the subtype menu I applied a custom filter so that I can filter by model type. If I feel like a MG, I can filter everything out but MGs, so on and so forth.

I would recommend saving chunks of money over a long period of time for your dendrobium. An option, if you can wait a year, is to put away $29 of your currency a month towards the project. Surprise yourself for the holiday season or something :D

Dlinker
September 12, 2012, 1:51 PM
One thing that helps with this hobby is that more often than not, a kit will be available a year or two down the line. You can afford to pass on something (especially if you have a backlog) until a later time since it will still be there to buy. That's the position I put myself in now. I decided to do more with my kits in order to lengthen my time with them so I won't be tempted to buy more. Even if there is a kit I really want to buy now (such as the MG Blitz), I know I can't work on it yet so I pass on it. I don't feel bad passing on it because I know it will be around next year, probably at a cheaper price too.

Combined with that Jfl0 and the others suggested, this should allow you to enjoy the hobby without it draining your finances.

Focke Wulf
September 12, 2012, 9:57 PM
Save up your coins like how I am with this SOB which is $400

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/LUCIUS-PATTERN-WARHOUND-TITAN-%28JACKAL%29-BODY.html

In all honesty, ya it's a bunch of cash but ask yourself this: do you think you can handle this model without messing it up?

Squee
September 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
^Probably. But for 400, i'd expect a bigger kit than 10 inches. Smaller than a PG... I understand it's appeal to a warhammer painter/player, but personally id rather spend about 50 less for this bad boy. XD
1/32 scale FSS LED Mirage Bust 70 cm/27.6 in tall 55 cm/21.7 in wide
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Grifith/1915d2e2.jpg

Can't wait to see you paint that bad boy up!

uncleremuslegend
September 13, 2012, 4:49 PM
that's the price without weapons? wtf?

Dlinker
September 13, 2012, 5:30 PM
Games Workshop stuff is known to be very pricey. As much as I like the look of that particular model, this would be a good example of something that is too much for me. I can only imagine the price for the larger titan models or even the titans from the other factions (if they have them).

J-muss
September 13, 2012, 6:12 PM
that's the price without weapons? wtf?

Well it's not a small thing either, its almost a foot tall. It's also all resin with a shit ton of little detail. A big resin kit>a big plastic kit. Plus in 40k they dominate the field. Reaver titan's are even more expensive. The Tau Manta is way more expensive, but it ways 28lbs and is about the size of a standard gaming table. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-AIRCRAFT/TAU-MANTA.html

uncleremuslegend
September 13, 2012, 6:48 PM
Yep, I saw and read. I would like to think that it would come as a complete kit, not one that you would have to buy the arms separately. Just my though though, I know they have to make a profit, and if people buy it they will sell it. I like the kit, and would love to see someone so enthused receive one, but and incomplete kit for $400+ just seems a little weird. Just my opinion.

Dlinker
September 13, 2012, 8:10 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking that. It's no different from thinking that someone buying a pre-made figure for $240 is a little insane :)

Getting somewhat back on topic, another factor that can indicate when too much is too much is when the price for what you enjoy keeps rising. It doesn't happen much to gunpla items, but for other collectible things, it's a sad reality.

J-muss
September 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yep, I saw and read. I would like to think that it would come as a complete kit, not one that you would have to buy the arms separately. Just my though though, I know they have to make a profit, and if people buy it they will sell it. I like the kit, and would love to see someone so enthused receive one, but and incomplete kit for $400+ just seems a little weird. Just my opinion.

The reason it doesn't come with weapons is that there are many different weapons that you can choose from. So rather then the kit coming with weapons you don't like, you just choose your own. Each weapon has different rules.

uncleremuslegend
September 14, 2012, 7:45 AM
That is what I understood. Have a friend that plays 40k, and iirc they use similar rule sets. In my head if it was the kit with 3 arms for the total price, it wouldn't be so hard to process. Just having to add the individual arms as options puts a perspective to kits as a whole. with that said, how much do you think of a kits price is reflected by the weapons included on the gundam side of things? This seriously has me thinking about that. Good conversation. :)

J-muss
September 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
It's hard to tell how much of a price difference there would be depending on the weapons. There are few kits that are essentially identical, except for the weapons added. The ReZel is a good example, both kits are basically the same and even basically the same colors. The commander type comes with a Mega Beam Launcher, 2 beam sabers, and a shield. The normal type comes with Beam rifle, saber, and shield.
Commander's retail price is 30.25$ vs. the normal's 27.50$. so for 2.75$ You get an extra Beam Saber, upgraded to a larger gun, mild cosmetic differences(different colored sticker being one) and I think the back pack has some larger wing things on it.

Deathscythe!
September 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
I detest not being concious of topics concentrated on and concerned on Forums, knwoing I'm able to easily inquire after people speaking of the unknown.

uncleremuslegend
September 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's hard to tell how much of a price difference there would be depending on the weapons. There are few kits that are essentially identical, except for the weapons added. The ReZel is a good example, both kits are basically the same and even basically the same colors. The commander type comes with a Mega Beam Launcher, 2 beam sabers, and a shield. The normal type comes with Beam rifle, saber, and shield.
Commander's retail price is 30.25$ vs. the normal's 27.50$. so for 2.75$ You get an extra Beam Saber, upgraded to a larger gun, mild cosmetic differences(different colored sticker being one) and I think the back pack has some larger wing things on it.

right. for me, it just sets a little perspective when buying kits with the addition +whatever x weapon system. also lets me consider the stand-alone weapons systems/weapons packs/individual weapons kits be approached with a little more open mindedness
perfect example with the ReZel.