PDA

View Full Version : plamo-uk paints?

uncleremuslegend
August 20, 2012, 3:51 PM
anyone have experience using these paints? http://plamo.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=2

Plamo UK
August 20, 2012, 4:32 PM
Hello,

I hope it's okay for me to post here. I run Plamo UK.

I can answer any questions you might have about Plamo Colour.

uncleremuslegend
August 20, 2012, 4:42 PM
i am not against international shipping, i am just curious as to the quality of the paints, i know 'you get what you pay for', but just curious if the paint is worth the increase in price + shipping... i realize asking the 'owner/manager' of a store these questions can be a little 'biased', in no way would i accuse anyone of such things, but honestly would like some modeller's opinions on the product... so with that said, i searched your site for reviews on the paints themselves, but was having a real tough time navigating between working and reading... if you have a link to the reviews themselves, that would be awesome

thanks for posting here all the same

EDIT: i just got finished watching the video review... looks good, would just like a few more opinions on them before making the swap over if that's in the cards... also is there a USA side dist?

Plamo UK
August 20, 2012, 4:58 PM
Oh no, it's perfectly understandable, I wouldn't blame you or anyone for thinking I would be more inclined to be on the "pros" side to my products, so no offence or anything caused. :)

I can answer some questions for you objectively however.

For example, the increased price is due to the increased quantity of the paints. A standard bottle of Plamo Colour is 60ml, where as a standard bottle of Mr. Color or Tamiya is only 10ml.

Major Williams has done a write up on Plamo Colour, he is a big fan of the paints and is using them quite a lot now.

You can see what has has to say about them here:

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/124-hi-nu-bust-wip-part-2.html

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/124-sms-hi-nu-bust-wip-part-2.html

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/finished-124-hi-nu-bust-sms-version.html

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/wip-148-g-system-rx-78-2-eiyuu-tan-ver.html

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/gundam-building-201-weathering.html

uncleremuslegend
August 20, 2012, 5:04 PM
i hoped i had worded that correctly, didn't want to cause a stir *hah paint pun, not intended initially* with you...
thanks for the price vs price comparison, i rarely use metric evaluation, as i am imperial based ;) 3xs the paint for the same price, seems like a good deal especially after the cutting process

hope to be in contact with you in the near future, when my existing paint supply is nearing its end :thumbs:

ps. now to work on the USA distributor :)

Plamo UK
August 20, 2012, 5:20 PM
No problem at all!

Major's review is a very good one, I was really happy with how he put it together.

Yeah, the cutting process makes the value that much greater, depending on how much you thin. I personally thin my paints 2 parts thinner to one part paint, as I prefer painting in thinner layers.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

US Distribution is something that is being looked at at the moment, nothing solid yet, just in talks, but hopefully it'll be something that's put in to action in the future.

uncleremuslegend
August 20, 2012, 5:25 PM
awesome! thanks for your timely responses, and the links! much to be said about the C.S. aspect of your operation.... if i could get my hands on some of the paint right now, i would be a step closer to being an exclusive PlamoColor user :thumbs:

Plamo UK
August 20, 2012, 5:29 PM
No problem, I'm happy to be of help to you!

Exclusive Plamo Colour user has a nice sound to it. :D

D-Smith
August 21, 2012, 4:44 PM
be the judge of it yourself and its your money you are risking but i have heard nothing but bad things about dealing with plamo colour. there product is great but many many MANY people have had issues with the guy who runs it. not saying the paints are not good just that the service is terrible so be cautious. I personally will never buy them from all the crap i have heard.

Plamo UK
August 21, 2012, 5:06 PM
This isn't actually true, and is being exaggerated, not by you yourself, as you will be on second hand information.

It's not a case of hearing nothing but bad things. There are hundreds of Plamo UK customers, who have in turn made hundreds of orders with no problems.

There have been problems with shipping earlier on the in the year due to couriers, changing couriers and a few other things, which resulted in customer orders being delayed by about a month. This was due to a shipping problem, standard airmail was a choice that people were taking to save money over a tracked and insured courier, which is where the problems came up from.

Standard airmail was removed as a result. People who are not in a position of knowing about international shipping, especially when it's things like chemicals and paints, it's not entirely straight forward when it comes to customs. Some countries are very liberal and wave things through (like the USA) whilst some countries are very strict and like to hold onto a parcel for as long as they see fit, while requesting documentation from the sender and recipient.

This is what people generally don't know, understandably. Generally speaking, most people won't say much at all about a product or service unless they have got something to complain about.

D-Smith, if I recall, are you the guy who had troubles with a shop recently double charging you or something? I recall other people who weren't involved, blowing things out of proportion and getting very worked up, vowing to ruin the store you had troubles with, over a situation they didn't really know all the details about?

This is somewhat what's happening here (no disrespect to yourself of course) but as I said earlier, I have a lot of customers, and a very strong customer base with less than 1% of customers being affected by shipping delays.

It's not a straight forward process when it comes to international logistics and sales, some countries I've had to refuse sales to now because of how many troubles customs cause. For example, Brazil, Brazilian customs will reject nearly all parcels containing paints, you would be very lucky to have it get through.

They either reject the parcel and return to sender, or simply reject the parcel and destroy it, no notification to the seller or buyer, and it took some time to figure out what was actually happening.

You are perfectly entitled to have your views on things, as well as choosing never to purchase from Plamo UK, that's your choice, and it's fine. However it's based on incorrect information.

Also, to reiterate, it really really isn't "many many MANY people" at all, it's less than 1% of many many hundreds of sales. People who aren't satisfied are generally not interested in the reasons WHY, they are just unhappy with what's happened. Which is of course fair enough. Most customers who had troubles with the shipping though, have went on to make repeat orders, which have gone through no problem at all.

Squee
August 21, 2012, 8:22 PM
It's really worth the value of the paint. Here's the standard size bottle compared to a standard Mr. Color Bottle.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Grifith/models/15832c55.jpg

I've had 2 orders already, and they came within days to the US.

Here's a kit i have in limbo that is mostly painted with Plamo paints.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Grifith/models/5e24d54f.jpg

The black red and Dark grey are all from Plamo.

D-Smith
August 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
you're right i shouldn't knock it since i have not tried it. i just have heard stuff from multiple people and ya know its easy to feel like a victim (i know i did in my situation when it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be) but thats why i didnt say any thing specific about your business i just told him to beware. but again sorry i should not have commented on this not having any experience with doing business with you

lupes
August 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
I was pretty unhappy with how I placed an order, got no word as far as confirmation goes or shipping for a solid month or so and despite my efforts to contact Kyle he never replied to any of my e-mails. So when I went and opened a paypal dispute and got a response AND a tracking number from him within a few hours you can imagine I was already getting wary of the whole mess. Regardless, I figured that since I had a tracking number everything would be fine so I closed the dispute and continued to wait.

More time went by and we went past the period of time to open a paypal dispute. I checked the package tracking to find that the package had not even moved an inch since I was intially given said tracking number. I gave it another week and the package STILL hadn't moved, so I called paypal to explain my case. Because I've been using paypal for so long they allowed me to reopen the dispute with Plamo Color. This resulted in a second tracking number but this time around I didn't close to dispute because I sure as hell learned my lesson about that the first time.

When the paint did finally reach me, I was greeted with this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2rojqr9.jpg

And of course, whatever had been mentioned as 'extras' were nowhere to be found. I've ordered a lot of stuff from a lot of places, paint included, and I have never seen something so atrocious especially given the money I paid. I've ordered things from China, Taiwan and Japan all using slower shipping methods and AT MAX I was typically kept waiting only two or three weeks. I get that it's a one man operation, I really do, but the way this entire trasaction went left a bad taste in my mouth. I shouldn't have to hold a knife to someone'swallet to get what I paid for. And say what you will about "1% of customers having these problems" but if you go and mention Plamo Color on most forum you will find people who've had issues with the company (MAC 1 (http://s3.zetaboards.com/MACforums/single/?p=8118662&t=7482741), 2 (http://s3.zetaboards.com/MACforums/single/?p=8119706&t=7482741), Hobby Fanatics (http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php?/topic/34486-plamo-color/page__view__findpost__p__327927) as well as other places (https://www.facebook.com/groups/themacforums/permalink/332226523515088/) [4-5 month turnaround? are you even serious right now?]) usually find people who have had or are having problems when it comes to getting paints. Resolved currently or not when getting your product is an issue and that's part of the reputation a company has that isn't a good thing. When I opened those paints I heavily considered just sending everything back and getting my money back but at the end of the day I just wanted to be done dealing with them and wound up begrudgingly keeping them.

I like the paint but due to all the issues with shipping and getting acceptable service I don't like suggesting people to them.

Generally speaking, most people won't say much at all about a product or service unless they have got something to complain about.

When it's something like taking an utterly unacceptable amount of time to receive hundreds of dollars worth of paint of course people are going to complain. When it's not just one person who's having that issue and is in fact a pretty common problem when people mention Plamo UK (as well as going silent and not replying to emails) I'm pretty sure that isn't people blowing it out of proportion or exaggerating when they say that the service is bad.

MatanglawinX
August 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just chiming in to confirm that complaints regarding his rather very delayed delivery and misleading tracking numbers are his main problems. No one is complaining about the paints.

Plamo UK
August 22, 2012, 1:21 PM
I was pretty unhappy with how I placed an order, got no word as far as confirmation goes or shipping for a solid month or so and despite my efforts to contact Kyle he never replied to any of my e-mails. So when I went and opened a paypal dispute and got a response AND a tracking number from him within a few hours you can imagine I was already getting wary of the whole mess. Regardless, I figured that since I had a tracking number everything would be fine so I closed the dispute and continued to wait.

In the past, people had already been made aware of various teething problems, this is not an excuse, just a statement. I also did reply to your emails, we had an email conversation, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting I never replied to any?

I let you know at the time that orders had gone missing due to a database error.

More time went by and we went past the period of time to open a paypal dispute. I checked the package tracking to find that the package had not even moved an inch since I was intially given said tracking number. I gave it another week and the package STILL hadn't moved, so I called paypal to explain my case. Because I've been using paypal for so long they allowed me to reopen the dispute with Plamo Color. This resulted in a second tracking number but this time around I didn't close to dispute because I sure as hell learned my lesson about that the first time.

This was because your order was re-issued. I have no intentions of messing anyone around, it's not in my best interests at all. You are however in the minority. People don't really realise I had hundreds of customers. There have been teething problems due to various things. One was a massive boom in demand for my paints, slowing things down a lot, another is with the website (which was remade from scratch a few months ago to remove these problems, where orders were not being logged in to the system, nor was customer contact).

When the paint did finally reach me, I was greeted with this:

Now, I don't feel this is fair to hold me accountable for that damage, especially if you do not mention it to me at all. I have had orders damaged by couriers, who I've managed to claim for and have damaged products re-issued at the courier's expense which would have happened had you let me know.

And of course, whatever had been mentioned as 'extras' were nowhere to be found.

That 120ml bottle of Gloss Topcoat wasn't originally in your order, I know that at least, I definitely put extras in to your order and that was one of them.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from a lot of places, paint included, and I have never seen something so atrocious especially given the money I paid. I've ordered things from China, Taiwan and Japan all using slower shipping methods and AT MAX I was typically kept waiting only two or three weeks. I get that it's a one man operation, I really do, but the way this entire trasaction went left a bad taste in my mouth. I shouldn't have to hold a knife to someone'swallet to get what I paid for.

The shipping method wasn't the problem here though, I let you know at the time that your order had not been processed.

And say what you will about "1% of customers having these problems" but if you go and mention Plamo Color on most forum you will find people who've had issues with the company (MAC 1 (http://s3.zetaboards.com/MACforums/single/?p=8118662&t=7482741), 2 (http://s3.zetaboards.com/MACforums/single/?p=8119706&t=7482741), Hobby Fanatics (http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php?/topic/34486-plamo-color/page__view__findpost__p__327927) as well as other places (https://www.facebook.com/groups/themacforums/permalink/332226523515088/) [4-5 month turnaround? are you even serious right now?]) That would be because it's the same people, a lot of the same people are active on a lot of modelling forums. There are forums that have plenty of happy customers on them, too. Lately, I'm in regular contact with a good number of my customers.

The examples you've posted, ideally one problem is one too many. I'm not even defending or saying it's okay, because it's not. I do however do my best to make good on an order that isn't going right.

There have been shipping issues, I haven't denied that. I've said it numerous times on numerous forums. People were given a choice of (at the time) DHL Express, or Standard Airmail. There was also a disclaimer that stated Standard Airmail didn't have any tracking or insurance, and it was at the risk of the buyer if they choose it. Yet I still re-sent people's orders because I wasn't happy to let them have paid out and be left with nothing. They were given the option of paying the difference between standard airmail and DHL express, and I would resend their orders. If my intention was to mess people around, I would have stuck to the disclaimer on my website and not sent their orders again, right?

usually find people who have had or are having problems when it comes to getting paints. Resolved currently or not when getting your product is an issue and that's part of the reputation a company has that isn't a good thing. When I opened those paints I heavily considered just sending everything back and getting my money back but at the end of the day I just wanted to be done dealing with them and wound up begrudgingly keeping them. I like the paint but due to all the issues with shipping and getting acceptable service I don't like suggesting people to them. Well as I am regularly saying, I've got lots of happy customers, my customer base and sales speak for themselves (to me at least) in that regard. I also get a lot of return custom from the same people too.

There are people who have had shipping or order problems, who've went on to make another order, and it's been a smooth process, processed quickly, gets to them quickly. It has been a very steep learning process for me.

As for your damaged paints, you REALLY should have made it known to me that your paints had been delivered like that, it could have been claimed against the courier, but it is beyond too late to do so now.

When it's something like taking an utterly unacceptable amount of time to receive hundreds of dollars worth of paint of course people are going to complain.

I completely agree, no issues with that at all, as I've said, it's been a steep learning process.

When it's not just one person who's having that issue and is in fact a pretty common problem when people mention Plamo UK (as well as going silent and not replying to emails) I'm pretty sure that isn't people blowing it out of proportion or exaggerating when they say that the service is bad.

Now, while it's not just one person, it's still a small number of people. The "going" silent part isn't me going silent, it's with regards to the above about the website and email system not processing things properly, which is why the site was redone from scratch.

But to add to that, you claimed yourself that I never replied to you, but I don't know why when I've got various back and fourth emails between us regarding your order.

It is definitely being blown out of proportion. The examples you shown, they are unacceptable, I totally agree, but when compared to hundreds of orders, it's not hard to see that it isn't actually the default Plamo UK experience.

Some modelling communities are tightknit, with a lot of people across the same few forums as I said above. I'm not even saying people haven't had a bad experience, that's their choice to make, and it's fair enough, it's down to them. But it's definitely incorrect to say as a blanket statement, as it's simply, completely untrue.

@MatX You're not really confirming anything, you're effectively repeating what Lupe has said with the links posted. No one is denying that happened.

MatanglawinX
August 22, 2012, 1:44 PM
@MatX You're not really confirming anything, you're effectively repeating what Lupe has said with the links posted. No one is denying that happened.

That's HARDLY the case anymore, Kyle, and you know it. Fact is, once or twice, a few days or one month is forgivable, but more than 6? You have this sort of problem with almost EVERYONE (who decides to complain) who gets paint from you.

And no, I'm not merely repeating what Lupe mentioned in his post. JC approached me after you failed to reply to his messages. I have been messaging you recently at MAC, but you never reply. I post at your thread, and you make it seem as if it's never your fault. Regardless, if I am "just repeating" what he said, do you mean to tell us that all complaints regarding your extreme delay in delivery isn't YOUR fault?

Come on, Kyle. How many failed tracking numbers, or delayed delivery does it take for you to realize that's somethings wrong with your delivery method, if not your attitude?

cavjo
August 22, 2012, 1:51 PM
Hello guys , mi name is Jorge Carlos i am from mexico city.

I am posting these thread because i don't know what else to do, i posted on Facebook , a very good friend posted on youtube, on some threads and now i am positing a new thread.

I orderd from plamo uk a big order en january the 30 of 2012 , and i didn't receive my order, but from all the emails i sent to kyle he answered some and he was nice to to tell me that something went wrong with the posting service so i ordered a another bigger order from his web page a few months later so in total there where 2 orders, and to these day i have NOT received anything its been 8 months, he sent me a tracking number for FEDEX but it states that the invoice was sent but the package was not, so i asked him about it and he said that customs had the package because they where a lot of paints and that he was fixing the problem, that was on the 3 of june.

I have not received any paintings from him , i have sent emails and he hasn't responded the last one was on the 11 of august, now i feel insulted , betrayed and i really don't want any problem i just want the money back , or even the paintings which i doubt i will ever get.

these is to all of you that want to buy paintings from Plamo Uk , in my experience do NOT buy from kyle till he fixes his issues or buy from another brand. , post your problems here and state what happened to you.

Plamo UK
August 22, 2012, 2:01 PM
That's HARDLY the case anymore, Kyle, and you know it. Fact is, once or twice, a few days or one month is forgivable, but more than 6? You have this sort of problem with almost EVERYONE (who decides to complain) who gets paint from you.

I think you might have missed some parts of my posts. It's not a 6 month delay, What's happened is JC's original order was related to the standard airmail issues, he wasn't the only person who had that problem earlier on in the year.

Things with customs happen, I can't control what they do. One customer last month has his order held by customs for 2 weeks with no explanation until the end of the second week. I can't control customs.

And no, I'm not merely repeating what Lupe mentioned in his post.

Of course you are.

JC approached me after you failed to reply to his messages. I have been messaging you recently at MAC, but you never reply.

I have spoken to JC various times and replied to his emails...

I'm not sure where you think you're messaging me, but I don't really visit MAC any more, and no PMs there.

Oh, the thread you closed? I don't need to post in the thread on MAC if I don't really go there very much, only to repeat what I'm going to say or already have said to JC by email.

I post at your thread, and you make it seem as if it's never your fault.

No I don't, see my posts above.

Regardless, if I am "just repeating" what he said, do you mean to tell us that all complaints regarding your extreme delay in delivery isn't YOUR fault?

All? No, I can't control what a courier does,

Come on, Kyle. How many failed tracking numbers, or delayed delivery does it take for you to realize that's somethings wrong with your delivery method, if not your attitude?

If not my attitude? How does my attitude affect what a courier does?

You're expressing opinions on international courier deliveries, whilst seemingly not having any experience of it.

I've sent over 200 parcels with FedEx internationally this year, fortunately the vast majority arrive nice and quick, no problems.

There's nothing in it for me to mess people around, as I've said. What would I gain from that? I've told JC I will do what I can to get his paints to him, I've made good on 100% of order problems prior to him, and I have no intention of letting that drop below 100%

Aside to that, I've had quite a large spike in orders over the last few weeks, and they have all been processed, shipped and received with no issues.

Squee
August 22, 2012, 2:02 PM
http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/6989-plamo-uk-paints?p=33602#post33602

Why make a new thread?

MatanglawinX
August 22, 2012, 2:14 PM
http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/6989-plamo-uk-paints?p=33602#post33602

Why make a new thread?

he didn't know squee. I directed him to the other thread...

MatanglawinX
August 22, 2012, 2:28 PM
Kyle, you're missing the point. It doesn't matter how many good orders you have, but the mere fact that you have SOME that run the course of months in delay means you STILL haven't nicked the problem. And THAT attitude of dismissing those "isolated cases" that seems strange.

But it's your business after all.

anyways, as far as JC is concerned and you replying to him, I suppose you've seen this https://www.facebook.com/groups/themacforums/permalink/332226523515088/?comment_id=371123869625353&offset=0&total_comments=20

squeam
August 22, 2012, 3:07 PM
Threads merged.