PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a list of questions! Help!

lilynn
August 20, 2012, 4:01 AM
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 am Post subject: Newbie with a list of questions! Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad that I found this forum. It seemed like there's much less demand for Gundams than cars. I am a huge fan of cars and I started model kits with couple car model kits from Revell and Tamiya. I am not good though.

Anyways, I've gone through every page under store list and the selection seems to be VERY limited within USA. (disappointing)

I have a series of general questions. I hope I can get answers to all of them!

1) Quality of model kits. I see many different manufacturer or perhaps different lines (master grade, perfect grade, etc.). Are there differences in quality among different manufacturer? I have to guess that perfect grade is superior over master grade and master grade is superior over high grade(?).

2) I don't know how many of you have tried car model kits but are Gundam kits easier to deal with than car model kits since you are only dealing with plastics and assembling is pretty straight forward with guided pins on each plastic?

3) I have TONS of unused Tamiya spray cans, paints, etc. that I used for car kits. Can I use those on Gundam or should I buy paints specifically for Gundam. What brand is good and what Gundam markers should I be buying? It seems like there's very limited number of paints so I don't think the cost will be too bad.

4) For Gundam kits, the Tamiya plastic glue is sufficent and there is no need to go for super glue, right?

5) I see that you often have to mix colors for Gundam, is it must to have airspray? How do you go about mixing colors?
They are pretty expensive and I believe they are both resin kits. Ultimately, I'd like to go for those kits but do you guys recommend plastic kits than resin kits due to complexity? Any recommendations within reasonable price range?

Thanks!!!

Exia
August 20, 2012, 4:29 AM
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 am Post subject: Newbie with a list of questions! Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad that I found this forum. It seemed like there's much less demand for Gundams than cars. I am a huge fan of cars and I started model kits with couple car model kits from Revell and Tamiya. I am not good though.

Anyways, I've gone through every page under store list and the selection seems to be VERY limited within USA. (disappointing)

I have a series of general questions. I hope I can get answers to all of them!

First off, Welcome!

1) Quality of model kits. I see many different manufacturer or perhaps different lines (master grade, perfect grade, etc.). Are there differences in quality among different manufacturer? I have to guess that perfect grade is superior over master grade and master grade is superior over high grade(?).

Those aren't different manufacturer, just different types all manufacturered by Bandai. If it doesn't have the Bandai logo and is marketed as a gundam type product it's a bootleg.

It all depends on the person, I only build HG 1/144. Perfect Grades are highly detailed 1/160th scale models, Master Grades are highly detailed 1/100th scale models, the High Grades are 1/144 scale and are somewhat detailed. With each grade comes higher amount of details and parts. There are also the Real Grade 1/144 scale models which are like Master Grades in 1/144, then the scale called No Grades they come in 1/144, as well as High Grade 1/100 somewhat older kits as well as 1/60th scale models that aren't considered Perfect Grade.

2) I don't know how many of you have tried car model kits but are Gundam kits easier to deal with than car model kits since you are only dealing with plastics and assembling is pretty straight forward with guided pins on each plastic?

Depends on the scale, but from my expierence it's all snap together with polycaps on the HG 1/144 side. Someone with expeirence in the other scales could tell you more.

3) I have TONS of unused Tamiya spray cans, paints, etc. that I used for car kits. Can I use those on Gundam or should I buy paints specifically for Gundam. What brand is good and what Gundam markers should I be buying? It seems like there's very limited number of paints so I don't think the cost will be too bad.

You can use whatever paints for gundam models as far as I'm aware.

4) For Gundam kits, the Tamiya plastic glue is sufficent and there is no need to go for super glue, right?

You can use glue to help cover up seems but I've never had to use glue on any of my models unless a part is loose.

5) I see that you often have to mix colors for Gundam, is it must to have airspray? How do you go about mixing colors?
They are pretty expensive and I believe they are both resin kits. Ultimately, I'd like to go for those kits but do you guys recommend plastic kits than resin kits due to complexity? Any recommendations within reasonable price range?

Thanks!!!

You don't have to have an airspray, some members will preach about them some as far as I know handpaint them. Resin kits from what I know require alot of paitence and time. Difficult to get looking good. Most people get some of the other grades under their belt before tackling those.

Joe
August 20, 2012, 6:59 PM

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the message boards! You should introduce yourself in the Members Introductions!

As to your questions:

1) As Exia before me stated Bandai is the manufacturer of ALL Gundam models except the bootlegs which (from experience) are cheaper but they fall apart, break, smell funny, modeling cement EATS their plastic and paint doesn't like to stick to them.

As far as the grades go, it is important to note that GRADE and SCALE are two entirely different things. While it is true that most Grades are specific to a certain scale, they are not interchangeable terms. Grade refers to level of detail, articulation, number of parts, etc. Scale refers to the size of the kit compared to "the real thing" which if you have experience with car models you should already know that.

Working down from largest and most complex: PG or Perfect Grades as far as Gundam kits are concerned, are 1/60 scale. There is a 1/350 (?) scale model of the Space Battleship Yamato labeled as a PG. They are quite tall, feature fully detailed internal frames and require almost no painting to look color accurate when complete. These are all snap together and don't require glue.

MG or Master Grade as far Gundam Models are concerned are 1/100 scale, a bit shorted than a PG. There are 1/35 scale Patlabors and a Dunbine MG as well. These guys started out with limited articulation compared to the modern MG kits and instead of internal frames they had opening hatches that revealed "internal" mechanics. They gradually became more and more complex and modern Master Grade kits tend to have complete internal frames, some wicked articulation, and their parts are nearly all molded in the right colors. There are still parts here and there that will need painting if you want them to be accurate to the box art.

RG or Real Grade are 1/144 scale exclusively (so far). It is a relatively new addition to the various grades of Gunpla kits available. They feature a ton of tiny parts, a ton of tiny stickers and markings, and a ton of tiny details. They have a full inner frame that comes molded together in sections and they are superbly articulated.

HG or High Grade models started out as 1/100 scale in the early 90's. As the MG line came along and took popularity, the HG name was passed down to the 1/144 scale kits. These kits can range from rather plane looking to fairly detailed, but 85-99% of that detail is all on the outside. A very few HG kits have been noted as having a little bit of an internal frame, but most do not. These kits will require stickers (included) and/or paint to look like the box shows them. But they are fun and cheap, great for someone doing their first Gundam model.

There are kits that are not marked with a grade and they range from 1/100 to 1/144 scale. they are commonly referred to as NG or No Grade kits. And these are hit and miss with the details. the 1/100 NG kits from the 00 Gundam series were border-line Master Grade quality. Then there are the 1/144 NG kits from Gundam Wing which are extremely simple.

I've heard some people refer to the original 1980's kits as LG or Low Grade kits, they are all glue together and are very limited in detail, articulation, and most are molded in only one color.

There is also First Grade and Advanced Grade which are snap together, simple kits for kids that will need painting to look even close to the anime or box art and they have very limited articulation.

2) I would say Gundam Models (depending on grade and scale) have more parts but are easier to build than car models.

3) Tamiya paints work very well for Gundam models. Gundam Markers aren't needed, they are usually used for touch ups and I can't recommend them for anything but minor details. On occasion I'll pour out some of the paint in the markers and hand brush with them, but at that point it's only because I don't feel like mixing my own color to match.

4) Tamiya's plastic cement is very good for Gundam models and great for removing seam lines.

5) Airbrushing isn't necessary, in fact painting is an option in all cases. We have a lot of great folks here who have never painted a kit at all. For mixing colors, i would suggest looking up information on color theory and go from there. Without actually showing you, it's hard to explain. I would recommend a Google search on that one .

5b) Resin kits are a bit tricky because of the amount of clean up of the parts you have to do, fixing parts that are warped or have bubbles, and the over all build process may involve making new parts from scratch, adding joints, drilling holes using metal pins to keep things together, etc. Best to start with the basics of plastic models.

Do you have a dollar amount you can spend? I can tell about some great kits if i knew a price range you're looking at.